Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who plans on keeping their Corolla for 200K+ miles?

Comments

• Toyoman3:
    From my past experience and the teaching of my father (mechanic for many years) i know that if a vehicle calls for 10w30 then its best to stick to it. What ever the vehicle ask for "weight" wise keep it that way. As for the synthetic oils, i have had very good luck with part synthetic from Castrol 10w30 in my 03 Corolla. Thing is that i have heard from others is that if you try a synthetic and you experience leaks, one that are more often then usual oil, then change back to the regular. The thickening and sticking to the sides of the motor and pan are what keeps it from leaking. Now if it is leaking anyways and someone says put a thicker oil...hmmmm

ask yourself if you put something thicker into something of the same mass and apply the same pressure what do you think it will do. my thought it would bust something cause the oil is too thick to move and give. don't bandaid it. im not a ASE mechanic but i have learned enough to keep my face out from under the hood. Best thing i can say is stay with regular oil and have someone else look over the motor, or wash it down yourself and look for the leak, if its the pan area, it may be a very easy fix. Im sure others have opinions on this....

enjoy,
    scott
  • tpulaktpulak Posts: 43
    Does it have power windows, and locks? If so, you can sell it up to $4,000 bucks. In eBay, some corolla's , like yours are selling for like up to 5,000 dollars, but since you are private party, you can expect this much. ($4,000 )
  • jilliewjilliew Posts: 48
    I do, or as long as it keep running. I am replacing a '97 Subaru Outback that I drove for 11years and would have kept it if gas wasn't so high.It looks just like a brand new car inside and out. I met someone the other day that has a Corolla with 400k on it. She's going to get a new one. Unless you have a real :lemon: or some cheap piece of tin, most cars will go beyond 200k if you take good care of them, don't beat them up, and be religious about the maintenance. :D
  • I'm buying a 2009 Corolla this week (waiting for delivery now). I absolutely plan to get 200k miles out of it. I'm trading my '93 Camry for the Corolla. The Camry has 267k miles on it and still has many original parts, like the alternator, starter, and muffler. I've done routine maintenance and only had one major failure -- the distributor at 199k.

1990 4Runner - totaled at 167k miles with original clutch. Was going to keep that one "forever."
    2002 Sienna - current kid-hauler with 136k and planning to get 200k out of it too.
  • qwnvqwnv Posts: 1
    In 1997 bought my 95 Toyota Corolla DX used for $12,000. It had approximately 30K miles. Today, my Nellie has over 238,000 miles. I had purchased an extended warranty and before the warranty expired, parts failed and I had to replace the alternator, timing belt, and some other major engine work. Each incident was $50 out of pocket.

Since then I have replaced the timing belt and water pump an additional 2 times (3rd one replaced 3 weeks ago)
    I have kept up with the routine maintenance at the recommended milege, gone through 3 sets of tires, 2 batteries, brakes,and replaced parts that started to get worn.

This year, 2008 is the first year where I have spent the most money on my Toyota.
    I need to replace the struts, distributor cap, spark plug wires, engine mount for now. I have a feeling the alternator will be next.
    I found a good mechanic shop and am taking Nellie in tomorrow morning (2nd time this month) for complete disgnosis and servicing mentioned above.

She is definately aging, and I am hoping that she will last up to 300,000K miles.
    I have been fortunate that she has lasted this long.
  • mgealmgeal Posts: 2
    I bought an 89 toyota corolla from someone for $500 it has 212k km on it and runs like a new car. To reach that many Miles/Kilometers all you have to do is regular oil changes, rad system flushes and don't forget to change the oil and gas filters. man older toyotas are so good on gas filled my gas tank with $50 and have 100km on quarter of a tank in city driving.
  • trikev19trikev19 Posts: 18
    I have a 1994 Corolla with 177,000 miles on it. A few days ago, I replaced the shocks and struts. When the car needs a repair, I consider whether or not it is worth putting money into the vehicle or replacing it. The repairs are always normal stuff like brakes, tires, tune-up, timing belt, etc. and it runs like new! I use Mobile 1 fully synthetic oil and I change it every 10,000 miles. I check the oil every 1,000 miles and keep the oil level proper. Based on the condition of the vehicle, I plan on keeping it for another 100,000 miles unless I have one of those "avoidable accidents". Aren't all crashes avoidable?
    Its difficult to find a mechanic that you can trust. I recommend performing basic scheduled maintenance yourself. I have a '94 Corolla with 177K. The maintenance is straight forward and simple and nobody cares about your vehicle more than you do. When the time comes that you need a professional, make sure that you get one! You don't need to pay dealer prices. If you research mechanics and asks for references, you'll find a good one and when you do....be loyal.
    I'll buy it when you're ready to sell.
  • texaslady1texaslady1 Posts: 2
    that part he took out is a security feature to prevent theft. your car wont start with out it. try calling a toyota dealer to see about replacing the part.
  • bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,028
    I was on my way home after work yesterday and I noticed the AC wasn't blowing cold air, then I noticed the temp gauge was in the red. I immediately pulled over on the shoulder of the road and opened the hood. There are two electric fans behind the radiator. One of the motors was coming loose from it's mount in the fan housing and the fan blade assembly was completely off the motor's shaft. There was a rock wedged between one of the blades on the other fan and the housing, so it also wasn't turning at all. When I removed the rock I noticed it was wobbley when I spun the fan and it appeared to be on the verge of failure as well. Luckily there was a Goodyear shop within about a half a mile, so after it cooled down I drove it there. It looks like it's going to be Monday or Tuesday before they can get replacement parts to fix it so I had to get a rental. The way I look at it, I paid cash for the car 2.5 years ago, I've put 80K miles on it since (it now has 149K), and this is the first problem I've had with the car. It's probably going to cost me somewhere between one to two car payments for the repairs and the car rental. That's pretty cheap in my book. No matter how well a vehicle is built and maintained, when you put as many miles as I do on them, things are going to wear out. I'm looking forward to seeing 300K with this car!
  • My Corolla is a 1995 basic four door model. It has been in a bad accident, looks terrible outside, but is running good. I was driving along thinking what a beautiful day and then my car was pulling to the right and I tried to hard to compensate for that and all I remember next is the air bag deflating and fumes from it and the car had stopped.

Once I was sure I had not died I looked around and found out that my car went to the left of the highway I was driving and plowed through barb wire fencing taking out several t posts and the car had turned around and was facing the highway on the other side of the fence. What happened I learned later was that my back rear tire and completely came off the rim.

Being on Social Security Disability Income I have little choice but to keep this car running as long as I can. I could never afford to make payments again so I do the best that I can.

Have been told that this car should run for at least up to 250,000 miles or more. I also read that the 1995 models were the best Toyota Corolla's built.

Over the years I have done all the basic things and kept up maintenance up to this time. The oil engine is as clean as when I first bought it brand new. The Triple A loves me as only five times in the last 12 1/2 years since I got this car I have had to use it. Two times was the battery, two times was tire trouble and one time the alternator.

My favorite of the Toyota's was my little FX. I loved that car, but it was having some major electrical problems, probably why they do not make them anymore.

My recommendation is that if you are a women that drives a lot alone, the Toyota is the most reliable car one can get. You just do not want to get stranded.

Liane
  • marlo1marlo1 Posts: 4
    I recently gave my 1998 Corolla LX to my dad because I purchased a larger vehicle this year (this was my second Corolla, the first one was brought in 1988.) I swear that car was my friend :shades: It rarely gave me any trouble, and I drove it hard and everywhere. When I hand it over to my dad it had 165k and it's still kicking. Luckily, I also have a good mechanic. If the Corolla wasn't so small and a bit more stylish, I would of brought another one.
  • I have just over 218,000 miles on my 1995. Normal service. Oil changes every 3k. Manual trans with original clutch and struts. No problems, just started acting up with the clutch and struts. Only issue I have had is replacing the alternator every 2 years or so. Replaced with Autozone (lifetime warranty) and they just give me a new one each time. Been to Toyota dealers and eveything is solid on the car. Timing belts replaced and normal maint. Red toyota of those years just fade..the paint that is. I have not found an original that hasn't had paint fade with the red.
    I love it! I am debating just putting a new engine, struts and clutch in in the coming months.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    You say putting in a new engine - what's wrong with the old? Clutch, I asssume slipping?
    My '99 with 160K miles has just started to need some maintenance this year, besides just the usual fluids and filter changes. Both electric cooling fans (on the radiator) needed to be replaced back in May ($400), I just had to put a new set of tires on a couple of weeks ago, and now I have to replace the front stablizer bar links as they're making a clunking sound when I ecounter bumps in the road. This is only going to cost me about $110 for parts and labor. The car is still costing me way less than I'd be paying if I were making car payments and it's still very reliable. The engine uses no more than 1/2 qt of oil between 6K mile changes which is excellent. I see this car easily sailing past 200K, and 300K is not out of the question. I guess I'll find out.
    My '99 with 104K miles is doing fine. The only problem I have is my A/C compressor has a small leak, so I have been recharging it about once a year for the last 3 years. Only costs me about $20 to recharge it, and it takes me 20 minutes or less.

Uses little to no oil, and I have just changed the coolant, PS fluid, brake fluid (ABS brakes), plugs, air filter, PCV, cleaned throttle body, and replaced thermostat (just because it is old, was not causing any problems).

Nothing ever done that was not routine, except I had to replace the blower motor at around 70k miles - cost me $50 and about a half hour of my time.

Good to hear yours is doing well also!
    Mine is a 5 speed manual, but if you have an auto, have you been getting the tranny flushed? This will greatly prolong the life of your tranny. Don't confuse flushing with draining because it's not the same thing. Draining only replaces about 1/3 to 1/2 of your tranny's fluid (the rest stays in your torque converter and can't be drained), while having it flushed replaces ALL the fluid. This should be done every 30K miles.
    I have an LE 5 speed manual (rare!). I changed the tranny oil at around 60k miles.
    My stick is also an LE. Does your LE have the gold badging?