Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who plans on keeping their Corolla for 200K+ miles?

Comments

• rdmccunrdmccun Posts: 1
    i can not tell you enough about the respect i have for this car! im 24 years old and i bought the car about 3 years ago with 220000 on it! every thing is perfect with it except the paint. it got me through college where i had to drive it about 120 miles a day for 2 years. great gas mileage about 35-40 depending on what gas i use. i drive her about 140 miles a day ( except weekends) and im done with the rest of my studies. iv sold my newer truck because i never drove it. i will never sell this car. i dont know how many miles it will eventually rack up but i know it will be alot.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    Wow, nice! They are great cars. Have you ever done any unscheduled repairs?
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    There we go again! All of the good cars are refered to in the female gender as "her", why? Aren't there any good "he's" out there? Good luck with "her"! I hope she last you another 250K.
  • dona83dona83 Posts: 67
    Here's my Corolla when it read 335,000km on the clock, I sold her a year later at 360,000km (225,000 miles). I had her for 6 years since she was 225,000km and just had to change the timing belt, water pump, alternator, and clutch the whole time among maintenance (oil, tune up) items. The engine and transmission was still going strong and did not burn or leak any oil.

Picture of odometer @ 335,000 km!!!
  • toyoman3toyoman3 Posts: 11
    I have a 98 VE already reached 282,000 miles. It was ok till I decided to replace mounts with aftermarket units. BIG MISTAKE, now the car has so much noise and vibration that it has become unpleasant to drive anymore. I'm gonna have to put up with it cause I don't put anymore money than I absolutely have to into this car. Looking to replace it with another Corolla or maybe a Yaris hatch, I like that one. :sick:
  • daviddyerdaviddyer Posts: 1
    I got this car in 2001 when it read 131k.
    Today I got a new Corolla and traded it in. (Goverment's drive a clean machine program, got $3000 off on my new car). It read 246k today.

A/C is still very cold with the original compressor.
  • bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,028
    Why woud you go with aftermarket mounts? Were the OEM ones too expensive?
    .....a '94 Corolla with 132K miles for our daughter. The car runs and drives beautifully, but I have no way of knowing when the timing belt was last replaced. Does the '94 have an interference engine? How often is the timing belt supposed to be replaced?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    Non-interference engine, so it just stops with no damage if it breaks. I think it is something like every 80k miles? If you have an owner's manual with the maintenance schedule, it will tell you Toyota's recommended replacement interval.
  • I plan to keep the 2002 Corolla for another 3 years or 380,000km. The car has run smooth and quiet the past 6 years. I use Mobil synthetic oil. Just replaced the serpentine belt (should have done it earlier as many cracks on existing one). It was someone at a Mr. Lube who noticed. The dealership where I normally get the oil changed never mentioned it.

No major repairs that I can recall. Quite a few rotor servicing though. Starting to eat a bit of oil now but that's expected at 280,000km. The A/C is still running fine too.

My 92 Tercel was not as reliable. Had a transmission leak early on. Water pump leak. Engine gasket leaks a couple of times. I must not have been monitoring the oil level at the end and it was very low at one point. Tercel kicked the bucket at 240,000km. Blue smoke, low engine compression. Body was in very good condition though. Was told I could rebuild the engine for about $2,000 Cdn.
  • c2cpc2cp Posts: 11
    Have a 2002 I use for work it is now turning 258,000 miles with just regular maintenence and minor replacement of parts that wear out and this car is still running strong very impressed.
  • toyoman3toyoman3 Posts: 11
    Sorry to report that at 285k miles I replaced my engine with one from a 99 with approx 93k miles. Running well but now tranny seems to be failing, I have to stop this bleeding sooner or later next thing it may be the A/C or who knows what I may have to cut my loses and bail out , but what to get? I don't wanna blow big $ on a new one, and used is kind of a gamble : :confuse:
    I had a '93 Tercel which I purchased in '02 with 88K. When I sold it in '05 it had 140K and it burned oil pretty badly. In fact it burned about 1/2 qt per tankful of gas. It still ran and drove fine, but the one thing I really hated about that car is it was a steam room on wheels. Unless the weather was absolutely perfect, I had to run the heater on defrost full blast all the time or the windows would fog over. I never could figure out why the interior of that car was always so moist.
    Just sold an "86" Tercel that I bought new in 1985. It had 150K on it but ran great. The body was rusting all over though. Sold it to a guy that was happy to get it for $300.00

By the way, sounded like all you needed was a heater core on yours. The first symptom of a bad core is moisture on the interior glass.
    That may have gotten rid of the sauna, but it wouldn't done anything for the oil consumption.
    LOL . . . Yea your right there, a new heater core won't take care of a worn engine.
  • Folks,

I have a high mileage 1998 corolla that burns about 1/4 to 1/2 quart of oil every 1000 miles. I consider that acceptable usage for the amount of miles.

What I do have a question about is: If it rains real hard or I'm driving in snow, the exhaust note will become very LOUD. Like a hole has opened up in the header, pipe, cat. or muffler. When it dries out the exhaust sounds normal. I wonder if anyone has heard of this. I'll have to go underneath and perform an inspection of all the joints and welds.

Joe.
  • I have a 2002 Corolla. It just turned 300,000km in close to 7 years. No major repairs at all. Used synthetic oil. Then I had a fender bender just before the holidays. Only body damage. Insurance would rather write it off than fix it because they're not sure of any extra cost once body shop opens it up. I had planned to drive the 2002 Corolla up to 450,000km in another 3 years. Things happen.

At that mileage, 300,000km, what potential repairs would I have been looking at to maintain it until 450,000km?
  • canuckrolla123,

Potential repairs to go that many km.

Starter.

Alternator. I replaced the brushes on mine with 186,000 miles, and the brushes seem to have had another 50-75,000 miles left on them.

Rear bearings. I had to replace the rear passenger hub at 190,000 miles.

I would suspect that being up north that the front drive shaft, CV joints and boots might be the biggest issue. The Canadian cold ages cars twice the speed as warmer climes.

This is assuming that you perform regular maintenance on this car, and the engine/trans-axle doesn't crap out gears and such.

I hope your 'rolla lasts you many kilometers.

Joe.
  • rose920rose920 Posts: 14
    When do I stop putting money into this car? It has been stalling in the rain and is at the mechanic. It has a hole in the catalytic converter, brackets broken. He thinks I hit something but I do not remember doing that. It needs plugs and wires and dist. cap. Estimate is around $800; Have been looking at new cars but nothing has hit my fancy yet. I drive 60 miles a day.