Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta Starting and Stalling Issues

Comments

• bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,083
    Certainly the ECU (Engine Control Unit) can be your culprit.... but how in the world would it go bad all by itself whilst the waterpump was replaced?
  • OK - so you think this is a no air or no fuel problem, most likely no fuel... After driving diesels for years, I agree. It is an intermittent problem and the dealer cannot get it to repeat - mostly because they will not repeat the scenario I have told them to use enough times to get it to happen. How do I get the dealer to move forward and FIX this?? They say they "cannot put any more time into it" and refuse to "throw parts at a car" but this is dangerous. If the hesitation occurs mid-shift, the car stalls, and has stalled in an intersection twice. If it hesitates once in gear, because it is a manual trans, it just hiccups and keeps going. I am being stonewalled by the dealer and by VW USA. Need help!!
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,083
    edited February 2012
    Your dealer is a bonehead! There is a gizmo they can connect to the computer-port under the dash which will "record" virtually all the sensors in real-time. Then they can give the vehicle back to you with the "recorder" installed.

You drive the vehicle for a week or so and get the problem to occor. (you can push a button on the gizmo to "mark" when the problem happened.)

The dealership simply uploads the data from the "recodrer" to the factory reps and they can diagnose EXACTLY what happened....and propose a proper repair action for the dealership to take.

I have done similar things using my laptop computer connected to the port under the dash of several VWs.... Anyone can do it with any laptop and this software
  • There is a recall on 2010 Jetta TDI's to stabilize the #2 injector fuel line due to resonant frequency vibration problem with fuel pump, as I understand it. This was a potential fire hazard, so I hope the effected owners on this forum are having it done. I had this recall performed and voila, problem resolved. That is, the hiccups are now greatly less noticeable ('not completely gone). The recall involved inspecting the fuel line(s) for apparent vibration damage and installing a dampener on the fuel line. Of course, the dealership told me this recall had nothing to do with a "hesitation", but it certainly did.

I'm really disappointed that the recall only dampened the coinciding frequency problem, rather than eliminating it, and that VW didn't address it sooner. However, I'm very happy to have it essentially resolved.
  • I had the recall done, but the hesitation continues - no improvement.
    My daughter has the same car, same problem!
    Really scary when it happens during a shift and car stalls in an intersection!
    Dealer totally unhelpful - "We cannot put any more time into this.' "We cannot throw parts at a car (because VW will not reimburse us for the repair)." "The car is operating according to specifications."
    Dealer had car for 3 weeks, did not get the problem to repeat because they did not do what I told them would get the problem to repeat.
    I am totally frustrated and ticked off at being stonewalled by VW.
  • The problem I see is very common through looking online. What seems to be uncommon is the actual problem. It seems that even VW mechanics don't have a clue as to the real problem. Some people say it happens when it is hot, others when it is too cold and others, well it just happens. This is where we have the issue. Our Jetta is just not starting many times. It is ongoing, expensive and a real frustration to go through and still have nobody able to solve the problem. Sure VW is making a killing on all of the parts being replaced that are not causing the problem but they are still nt discussing what the issue is. Maybe it will take a stall in an intersection and a family to meet tragedy before VW will be sued in a large enough judgement that will make them take it seriously enough. I say do not buy VW and do not risk the lives of your family just to drive these death trap. If it stalls on a train track or a busy intersection, maybe a busy highway or who knows where else, are you willing to risk your life and the lives of your passengers so they can continue to make profits ahead of safety? I think not. Stay away from VW and they will either find a solution to make sure the cars they build and sell are safeor they will go bankrupt. Either way, safety will become more important.

James Cousineau
    jameswcousineau@gmail.com
  • drapepddrapepd Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    I own a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI diesel (BRM engine code). This car has died on me 4 times now. It always happens when the engine gets to normal operating temperature and when I come to a stop. It does not happen any other time. By the way it acts I assumed it was some sort of fuel problem. I do not believe the fuel is gelling due to the mild weather. Code reader displays "NO CODES". I changed the fuel filter. Then the fuel pump relay, and today I installed a new fuel pump. I started the car and let it warm up for about 20 minutes. I drove it down the road, slowed to a stop and it died. It will start back up after the engine cools down some. This car was at our local Volkswagen dealership for 3 days. Even after they consulted with VW techs they couldn't figure it out. Like I said, it will start back up after 15 or 20 minutes.
    Does anyone have a clue to what is going on with my car? Please HELP!!!
  • josevijosevi Posts: 1
    It very well could be the Engine speed sensor. I had problems with my 02 that sound like yours. That´s what it was. Not too expensive. Good luck.
  • I have an 06 tdi doing the samething, had in and checked out and nothing
    I told the dealer you no about the problem and if something bad happens I will own your dealership and walked with the whole waiting room sitting there with mouths wide open.

ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE WITH THIS TO
  • bunson14bunson14 Posts: 1
    I have a 2012 TDI Sportwagen and it has just started with the stalling for no apparent reason. It lurches on acceleration, the battery light flickers and then it stalls. It will start right up again, but it is scary, to say the least.

For a much longer period, the car will shake like it is going to stall when I come to a stop. It never has, but it feels like it is choking for air or fuel. I drove a 1995 E300D Benz from new until 2010 and put 300K+ miles on it and it never stalled, so this is frustrating. Scared to put my daughter in the car now. My local dealer won't return my calls either. Frustrating.
  • Hey, after 30K miles in 18 months with my 2010 TDI/manual AND 18 months and 40K on my daughter's identical car, and MULTIPLE complaints to dealer about both cars hesitating (usually on a cold start, usually at less than 30 mph) and mine stalling in intersections (dangerous), VW denying there was an issue (no "codes" = no problem), I FINALLY got it to act up with a VW employee onboard. VW USA has finally "acknowledged there is a problem" but VW tells me "there is no fix" for it right now, maybe in a few months! When I asked what it was that is causing the hesitation/stalling (rumor has it it's the high pressure fuel pump), the employee was either stonewalled by VW, or is stonewalling me - he "did not know". WHAT?? Conversation with another staff member indicated "this is an expensive fix, like $7000"!!
  • carimaricarimari Posts: 8
    Yes! I have the same problem with the car stalling. Did you find out what the problem was?
  • I just had this happen today. I had pulled out a parking lot and when I stopped at a stop sign, the car just died and the battery light blinked. It wouldn't restart right away. Luckily after 2 minutes, it came back up (scary b/c it is super hot out and I have two toddlers). The dealership isn't calling me back and my car has less then 2,000 miles on it. I have a 2012 Sportwagen TDI
  • i have the exact same problem. i have a 98 jetta gls and it runs great for a while, then just dies. i let it sit forsometimes 10, 20 min or up to an hour and it starts right up. i replaced the cap rotor, plugs, fuel pump and filter, still same problem :confuse: :mad:
  • i have a 98 jetta gls and it runs great for a while, then just dies. i let it sit for sometimes 10, 20 min or up to an hour and it starts right up. i replaced the cap rotor, plugs, fuel pump and filter, still same problem. like something heats up the car dies, i let it sit and cool down and it starts right up like nothing happened. no light or codes come up. me or my mechanics have no clue :confuse:
  • Volkswagen is all set on entering the used car business in the country which is budding on the account of people upgrading their cars within 5 years. The company will be offering cars from other makers too at its dealerships. Volkswagen will provide a warranty as well as a financial facility to the buyers. The financial arm of the company, Volkswagen Financial Service will be stepping for support on financial front.
  • I wish I could tell you what was wrong with my car - they still don't know. I took the car to two dealerships. The first dealership said they had no idea what was wrong and everything looked fine. Since I paid for a rental I picked up my car, the second dealership gave me a "rental" but then I was charged over $300 to replace a battery and change three light bulbs on my car. So I am not sure if i needed a battery or not - but I live in AZ so thought it couldn't hurt.. anyway.. it hasn't happened since.. but I know it will.. I just pray my kids aren't in the car. Good luck!
  • Something very similar just happened to me while driving a 2010 Jetta LTD. The check battery light came on for a few seconds, then the car stalled.

I called the service dept right away (the car is still under warranty) and was told just to restart the car. They said not to bring it in for service unless it happens again. But there was no reason whatsoever for the car to stall. I was just fortunate that I was in a parking lot when it happened. Is there a way to report this problem to Volkswagen corporate, rather than the local service department? I checked the NHTSA website, but couldn't find anything there. But we should find a way of submitting these problems in the aggregate to both VW and the NHTSA.
  • Hi Chris.. You can actually call the Volkswagen Customer Care department at 1-800-822-8987 and report the issue. and actually my car stalled again on Friday. Someone accidently hit my car - one tiny scratch - waited for the police with the car running as I live in AZ it took about one hour for the police to investigate as the other drive was impaired. When the officer said I could go- I started to drive away and my car stalled. I managed to make it to the scary mall in Phoenix and waited it out for an hour and half - when I came back to the car it started up without issue and has not stalled since. I am thinking that the issues are due to climate as I live in Arizona, but I am not sure. I didn't take it back to the dealer because last time it costed $300 and the same issue is still occuring. Please let me know if anyone finds anything about how to fix the issue. Thanks!
  • this same problem started just after the trans and timing chain was replaced. but the error code reads different censors than was worked on. this happens when the engine gets HOT, I live where it gets to the 3 digits. tried to cool down the engine by spraying water on the radiator, turned off the AC, the car will start but as soon as it is put into drive it starts to stall and smell like gasoline was poured everywhere, but no gas, just fumes. we have not local VW dealer here so the one with the most experience suggested taking it to the dealer and having the computer replaced. the car is just on big lets say LEMON on here. been costly ever since my daughter bought it. NEVER AGAIN VOLKSWAGEN it might just call it a datsun