Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Transmission Problems

is there any way to to increase the line presure on a 5.2 ram 1500? I have been told that this is the reason for most of dodge transmission problems. I am also getting a fluxuation in rpm at highway speeds. You can hear and see the variation in rpm. At 70mph with the cruise set it will bounce about 300rpm. So if the rpm is steady at 3000 it will bounce up to 3300. Its almost like a mini slip. I was told it could be my lock up converter going bad. Any info would be great.

Comments

• I have a 2001 Dodge Ram with a 5.9. I noticed mine doing the same thing that yours is doing. I was driving it and was going about 70 and the cruise kicked on and it felt like someone had hit the brakes. I could not get the cruise off and the truck would not go. I had it towed to a shop and they told me that a ball in the transmission that keeps fluid from draining back had got stuck and burned the tranny up. I had it rebuilt and now it doesnt shift right. When I use the cruise the rpms will bounce like you talked about. I dont know what else can be done except have it looked at. I wish I had the answer for you.
  • I was told it is the lock up converter. I also know there is a way to increase line pressure to help keep the clutches and steels applies to help stop slippage. The funny thing is my tranny went out at 9,500 miles. I got the truck brand new and have always checked my fluid and changed it regularly. When the tranny blew I was over 100 miles from home, call the dodge help line and they said they would tow it to the nearest dealer. I told them I wanted it taken back to my home town where I wouldnt have to travel to get the truck back. They told me no and I ended up paying a 120+ towing bill. I am so over dodge. Never again will I buy a dodge vehicle. Next will be a ford turbo diesel. Oh yeah, when my local dealer pulled my tranny pan off they told me there was about 1/2 inch of black crap in the bottom of the pan and it wasnt clutch material. They replaced it no ?'s asked and and the lines and radiator. Since the tranny cooler is in the radiator and they didnt want anymore problems they just replaced it all. Maybe when I get up I will put up a post about how much a P.O.S. this truck really is. If I knew how lemon law works I would definatly try to get a replacement.
  • Can anyone please help !!! I purcased a 98 ram 3500 diesel and the trans. started to slip in and out of overdrive the dealer fixed it by replacing the throttle pos. sensor; but now the trans. is slipping in 1st. 2nd. 3rd. however, 4th gear overdrive seems to grab fine. Inaddition, every once in awhile it will just pop right out of gear and slip then go back into gear. The dealer claims the slipping is not happening and it didnt pop out of gear when they drove it. any pointers any one thanks, carnut
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,495
    When my 96 3500 Cummins would start slipping, that was my sign to check the stick and top off. I had my trans serviced every year, with filter, pan gasket, band adjustment, and fluid change.

Two things to check:
    - fluid level, and make sure you are using the proper fluid (ATF+3 or 4)
    - if the trans hasn't been service, have a complete service done as described above (not just a fluid change)

If those two don't cure the slip, you likely have a torque converter issue.

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• Thanks so much kcram, for the advice. I will have the trans tune up done. If that doesn't ill try and scrape up the funds for a BD transmission. carnut
  • HAVING PROBLEM WITH TRANSMISSION SHIFTING IN AND OUT OF OVERDRIVE OR TORGUE CONVERTER DISCONNECTING. MOSTLY BETWEEN 50 AND 70 MPH. SOMETIMES RUNS 100 MILES WITHOUT A SHIFT, OTHER TIMES HAPPENS CONSTANTLY. ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM?
  • james59, We have had the same problem with a new transmission installed in our 1996 Dodge 3500 4x4. We have taken the truck to the dealership here twice and they seemed to have found the problem but did not fix it correctly. It started shifting in and out again but, not as much. What really bothers us is that it has a FULL WARRANTY and they would not stand behind it! It cost us $135.00 to have them hook the truck up to there diognosics machine. So... dose anyone know what to do about them not honoring the agreement??? Drivelarge
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    I don't know how I missed this one, but line pressure IS NOT an issue with Dodge transmissions. In fact, almost all automatics produce more line pressure than is necessary 95% of the time.

Slipping can be caused by a number of things, but the designed line pressure is not one of them.

Your 300 RPM change is more than likely indicating the torque converter coming out of lock-up. This, too, can be caused by a variety of things, including a bad throttle position sensor or dirty shift solenoids.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    How frequently do you recommend changing the transmission fluid and filter in 2001-2006 DC minivans with 3.3L V6 and Chrysler PT Cruisers with base 2.4L inline 4 cylinder (without Turbo).?
  • When going up hill in 3rd with overdrive locked out, the transmission momentarily downshifts to 2nd and back to 3rd. This can occur once or several times in a row. Any suggestions???
    Gary
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,495
    Depends on your speed at the time. If your speed is at a computer-determined shift point under the conditions, it will hunt back and forth like that. Speed up or slow down a few mph, and that should keep you in a single gear.

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try your suggestion and see if that cures the problem. :D
  • Hope someone can help with this one. I have an 01 1500 series with overdrive and transmission always appears to want to take off in third gear. The code comes up on the scanner as a P-1762 govenor pressure sensor.
  • I am having the same problem. The transmission governor pressure solenoid and governor pressure sensor are on the bottom of the valve body just inside the transmission pan. I plan on replacing both of these because you can't be sure which one is bad and I don't want to have to do the job twice. It is a simple job; drop the tranny pan, replace components, replace pan, refill fluid. This link may help you: link title It deals with a diesel but it's all the same.
  • I have a 95 ram 3500 2wd diesel, the trans is slipping in and out of gear only when parked for about an hour or more on level ground especially when cold, but it disappears after a mile or two. HOWEVER; if i park in my driveway which is at a slight incline it never slips,even when it's cold. Anyway i'm stuck to trying to find an incline everytime i have to leave the truck for more than an hour. My truck has 130,000 miles, please help, do i need a new trans. thanks carnut17
  • Thanks pegleg I took it to a transmission shop that offered a free check (the best kind) and he told me what I already knew except he has had a few problems with wiring being damaged from the computer to the transmission. I am going to take it to him next Friday and he is going to check it for me. I will let you know what happens.
  • I have a '96 ram 3500 pickup with a Cummins diesel and 4 speed auto trans. My problem is that the trans suddenly won't shift into overdrive. One day it shifted fine the next day it wouldn't shift into 4th gear. The fluid is full and has about 5000 miles since the last fluid and filter change. I checked all fuses and relays they seem fine. I also checked electrical connections to the trans, all are still connected and corrosion free. Any ideas on what the problem might be? Thanks for your help. Tom
  • I'm getting a code P1756 (Transmission control pressure not equal to target) any thoughts as to what that could be?
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    You indicate that the transmission fluid was changed 5000 miles ago. What type of transmission fluid was installed? How many miles on this transmission?

Regards,
    Dusty
  • Hello ddually, I had the exact same trans. problem on my 95 ram 3500 diesel. It turned out to be the throttle position sensor. I am almost 90% sure this is the problem. I think the 10% might be the wrong trans. fluid but i doubt it. Let me know the outcome.