Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Transmission Problems

Comments

• fordfan_17fordfan_17 Posts: 175
    take to a trans shop that does free roadtest and diagnosis have them scan your vehicle WATCHING live data specifically governer pressure sensor and governer pressure solenoid. most common problem with this trans is these 2 items and they can be replaced from the pan hope this helps
  • sammytorchsammytorch Posts: 6
    This site has been great, Thank You!

I have a 2001 1500 4X2 with 5.9(360) \ 46RE. It began shifting erratically the other day (sometimes it shifts fine, other times it refuses to shift out of 2nd gear). Before this happened I knew that I had to replace a failing neutral safety switch because there was trans fluid leaking from it. I took it to the shop, there were no engine codes but the mechanic told me that during a road test when the trans failed the Gov Pressure was reading 5psi and he said that it should have been between 45-50psi. They suspected the governor solenoid and governor pressure sensor. They quoted me $600 but after reading these posts I figured I can do it myself for a third of that price. I dropped the pan and looked inside - only problem is I have no idea if the deposits that I am seeing are normal for 140k miles or if it is terrible and I should not waste any more money trying to repair it (the gasket was in pieces so I do not think the fluid has been changed in a while, if ever). If anyone out there could take a look at these photos of the pan and share you expertise it would be greatly appreciated.

photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26364642@N05/
    with that amount of debris in the pan you might want to consider an overhaul most of that will be converter metal so make sure the torque gets replaced

Gene
  • judge04judge04 Posts: 1
    My 04 ram2500hdw/tow had the trans cooler fail and somehow resulted in coolant and trans oil combining. After a suggested $7,500 rad. to trans job by the dealer, I had the cooler as assembly w/lines replaced . On day 2 after the job and trans flush, the trans wont leave 1st & 2nd easy revving to 2700or more first. Where and how did these fluids meet and why now am I having shifting problems? Also there is a "customer satisfaction notice c44" on the cooler&trans w/97,000 covered, but I cannot get the cooler only part # from dodge. What next?
  • dscheibsdscheibs Posts: 2
    I have a 02 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab P/U and I'm getting a vibration underneath the truck when i reach 35 mph. The vibration seems to lessen at higher speeds but its still there. I noticed that it gets worse when going up inclines. If i take my foot off the gas. the vibration goes away and comes back as soon as i step on the gas. I had a wheel alignment done, thinking this was the problem. But the vibration is still there. Anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?
    Thanks
    Doug
    check universal joints and differentials for noises also wheel bearings and transfer case if applicable then on to the transmission if you dont find your noise
  • ruhrohruhroh Posts: 1
    I appologize if this problem has already been posted - I searched but couldn't find my situation.

2006 5.7 Hemi with about 60,000 miles. Two problems:

1) Tranny shifts into OD when I take my foot off the gas and will stay there - down to around 20-25mph or until I push the gas.

2) When accelerating from OD, the tranny makes a shuddering/vibration sound. It sounded to me like the heat shield on the exhaust.

I've taken it to AAMCO - they found no errors on the diagnostic machine. They suggested the first problem may be that the tranny is going into lock-up which may be a result of an on-board computer problem. They said the computer needs to be flashed.

They also said the shuddering/vibration is clutch chatter but offered no fix for this problem.

Any ideas from other Dodge owners? I'm out of warranty for replacement.....
  • sieg_37sieg_37 Posts: 2
    I have a Dodge Ram 2500 year 2005 diesel 4 X 4 automatic transmission.

My pickup stopped shifting and remained stucked in the first gear. in the beginning it would occasionaly jump to the next gear and then shift normally up to the other's. I had it scanned and was recommended to change the output shaft sensor which we did today, but the problem remained the same it is not shifting at all no more

Does anyone have an answer, suggestion on this issue?
    change the governer pressure solenoid and governer pressure sensor in the transmission these two items can be changed by just about any trans shop and requires only a pan drop 13mm bolts 4 11mm bolts on the gov pressure housing and 2 #25 torx bolts its a faily easy operation and will also give you a chance to see whats in your pan as far as any debris not to mention that these two item control ALL shift aspects of the trans
  • willyraywillyray Posts: 1
    When the engine is cold, and I put it in drive and drive off, up to 30-35mph, the tranny slips before going into 2nd gear. Once the engine is warm, there is no problem. Also, when the engine is cold and I put it in reverse and back out and then into drive, there is no slipping. Any suggestions is appreciated. I was thinking maybe there isn't enough fluid being circulated during this time.
  • redmor67redmor67 Posts: 1
    I'm new here, and I need help with some questions on my "95" Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9. I have trouble with my transmission, I don't have reverse. Can this get fixed by rebuilding the tranny, and fixing the bands or am I going to have to replace the whole tranny? And another ? does any other tranny interchange with this truck, I was told only one tranny will fit . is this true?
  • sieg_37sieg_37 Posts: 2
    I am having problem with my transmission it wont shift out of the first gear. I had it scanned ant it came up with the following code:

P0720 Output shaft speed sensor circuit. and also

OD Park, Neutral, Drive, Low Switch Circuit High 61 passenger Door lock / Unlock switch Input Circuit high. DTC Ignition Run/ Start Circuit Rationality

Kindly what are your recommendations based on the above codes?
  • hondarc51hondarc51 Posts: 1
    i purchased a 99 ram 1500 4x4 5.9 with 46k 3 years ago. over those years i have towed motorcycles, furniture, nothing over the weight limit. just around april the rear transfer cased cracked. i replaced that and u-joints. about 2 weeks later the front case cracked. so i rebuilt the whole case and replaced the tranny mount and checked the motor mount. after all that when im taking off, i hear a grinding noise from my flex plate area. going down the road i would here it, but mostly when i take off. here i go, taking the dust cover off the tranny checking for broken or missing bolts. everything is there and good shape. i leave this morning (5-19-08) come to a stop sign, with no sign, i dont have drive, reverse, and it really grinds when putting in park. i am lost for words after all this time. i am close to 99k miles now. can some tell me if the torque converter is gone, which would be an easy replacement. :mad: :cry: :confuse:
  • dscheibsdscheibs Posts: 2
    Thanks Fordfan_17,
    The problem was the Universal joints.
  • sammytorchsammytorch Posts: 6
    I replaced the pressure sensor and solenoid and changed the filter and fluid - this fixed the upshift problem. But there still are some odd behaviors - the 2-3 upshift happens in two distinct phases it starts to upshift at 30 mph (the rpm's drop to about 1800) then the rpm's climb until 34 mph when it appears to complete the shift and the rpms drop to @ 1500. Also, it does not appear to shift at all in wide open throttle - the rpm's will climb to nearly 4000 from 0-50 mph??? Any ideas about what is going on with these two things.
  • riley11riley11 Posts: 1
    Help in Tennessee...
    In the past 3 weeks my truck has been shifting gears really hard.
    Only going up hills...
    When it wants to shift down when going a a hill it clunks really hard.
    Only going up hills.
    Flat land no problems.
    Changed trans fluid about 25,000 miles ago.

Any ideas out there???

Thanks....
    try adjusting the band its located just in front of the shifter assembly takes a 3/4 wrench to loosen locknut and 5/16 wrench to adjust the band strut turn the band strut inwards till snug and then back off 1 3/4 turns and lock down the lock nut again being sure not to let the band adjusting screw turn while you tighten locknut these units also have a habit of wearing down the front band in the transmission
    sounds like the trans is running high line pressure have your truck scanned at a local trans shop specifically for governer pressure sensor and solenoid operation its a normal problem and a fairly reasonable trans repair these 2 item have a high failure rate
  • hey everyone i'm new to this forum but here it goes ... i bought a very nice 01 ram 1500 with jus under 70k miles bout 4 1/2 months ago everything worked great then. but with in the last month i developed the same slipping or jerking problem while driving in cruise. it started out where in did it only at around 70 mph... but now it does it ne where from 40-70mph. i've been baby'n this thing cuz i paid 20k for it and i've never towed or gone offroad with it at all. i need help bad cuz it's my only driver and i don't wanna be stranded. i was wondering (since i don't have much time to read through all the forums) if you guys could help me out at all. if it is to late or bad i will get a new tranny but i was gunna go with aftermarket so this doesn't happen again. i was wondering if you guys had ne websites i could go to that would have parts such as a tranny that would fit right in and be aftermarket.

thanks lots
    sounds like you may have a torque converter issue take your truck to a trans shop that does free road tests and diagnosis and have TCC operation checked
  • K thanks ..thats what i was think'n to but i was confused cuz it duzn't constantly slip though. i was wonder'n if you knew ne websites for aftermarket parts for dodges. i've looked but they've all had ford and chevy parts.
  • ram05ram05 Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Ram 1500 4X4 that I purchased new. The vehicle currently has about 85,000 miles on it. I have not had any major trouble with anything other than having to replace the EGR valve just after the warranty expired. My current problem is that I have noticed the tranny is slipping when it is cold and I first start it up. I put it in D or R and it takes a few minutes before it starts to move. The tranny fluid is full and clean. I am not quite sure where to start since this is the first tranny issue I have had to deal with on a newer vehicle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    take ur vehicle to a local trans shop that does free road test and diagnosis have it scanned for specifically governer pressure sensor and governer pressure solenoid operation this is a typical problem with this transmission
  • ram05ram05 Posts: 2
    If the diagnostic determines a problem with the governor pressure solenoid or pressure sensor, is this a big job to replace these components? Are the components internal/external and roughly how costly? Thanks for the feedback.
    parts will run 225 or roundabout there the labor you can do on your own pretty much refer to my personal carspace page you will find a picture of a 46RE valvebody there showing the gov pres sens and solenoid
  • kaos1kaos1 Posts: 2
    I have an 01 ram 1500 4x4 and when the truck is cold it won't shift correctly.it seems to not want to shift down.i can floor the truck and it barely moves.if i manually shift it to first it takes off fine.when it warms up it seems to go away for a while.but if i'm driving for an hour or so it starts to give me the same problem only manually shifting makes no difference.also at this time when i stop,sometimes it won't shift out of 1st gear until i get on the gas petal.should i rip it out and blow it up?
  • I have a 2001 dodge3500 with cummins and auto transmiossion,after gooing trhrough deep water transmission sometimes will not shift out of low gear,I have change speed sensor,filter and fluid,any help I had no problems untill this.I took truck in and had computer scanned and no codes,
    Need help In Illinois
    get some dielctric cleaner unplug all plugs to trans and clean them with cleaner and reassemble you have moisture in your connections shorting them out
  • birdmfcbirdmfc Posts: 5
    I have an 05 Dodge quad cab 2wd, and sometimes when I start my truck and it hasn't been driven in a few hours or over night, I put it in drive and the RPMS rise and it just barely moves, then it acts like normal a couple of moments later, and drives fine after that. It only happens on start up when the motor is cold and not every time. Has anyone had this problem and what was the fix? I have an appointment on Tuesday for the dealership to look at it, but I just wanted to have an idea before they tell me nothing is wrong with it.
  • 02ramman02ramman Posts: 62
    There's a TSB out for faulty tranny filters. My guess is you have one that is faulty. The dealer should remedy this for free. TSB 21-015-05. Do a search or press your dealer. Good luck!