Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Transmission Problems

Comments

• Had it rebuilt at 125,000mi. Now 149k. Didn't want to shift into 2. Had a speed
    sensor replaced. Drives ok for about 10 minutes, then wont shift into 3 untill
    the rpms go sky high. Then after a few minutes the O/D lite goes on. Am I doomed?
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    Without knowing the miles on this transmission or the maintenance history, a rough guess is the overrunning clutch is shot.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • ormanorman Posts: 1
    have a 2000 ram rebuilt trany speedo wont work changed speed sencor & rear end sencor speedo still wont work
  • jke5jke5 Posts: 1
    It has 140k, never had a issue then all of a sudden it is having a problem getting out of 1st if on a grade, if i start out slow it will go through the gears just fine.
    Is there a simple fix or am I doomed.
    For the benefit of others that may be reading this post, for Chrysler-built rear wheel drive vehicles there are speed sensors in the transmission (one in RE & RH trannies; two in RFE trannies) that send signal(s) to the Power Train Control (PCM) and Transmission Control Modules (TCM). These signals are used in determining various internal control functions in the transmission and performance operation.

Again, in RWD platforms (all trucks) there is a Rear Wheel Speed Sensor. This sensor supplies a signal to the PCM through the Controller Antilock Brake (CAB or Antilock Brake Controller). The PCM supplies the signal to operate the speedometer, among other functions.

On to your problem.

*If the Speedometer is not working, but the Odometer advances as the vehicle is driven, you have a defective Speedometer gauge or a break on the cluster circuit board.

*On Chrysler systems if the Odometer or Trip Odometer is blank, you have an internal error on the instrument cluster assembly with the PCI data bus and the speedometer will not function.

*If a "NO BUS" message is visible in the odometer, there is an internal problem on the cluster circuit board or there is no PCI data circuit between the cluster and the PCM.

*If the Odometer readout is flashing repeatedly, the instrument cluster is not receiving a distance signal from the CAB.

*If the circuit between the Rear Wheel Speed Sensor to the CAB is lost, the speedometer will not work, the odometer will not advance and the ABS lamp on the instrument cluster will be illuminated.

Since I do not know what the state is of the odometer in this case, and you've already replaced the Rear Wheel Speed Sensor in the rear differential, I would suggest checking the rear wheel speed sensor circuit back to the CAB. On vehicles of your vintage corrosion at the rear wheel speed sensor terminals is a common problem, but I would check all of the connections at the CAB and PCM terminal connectors. If the odometer is working, you've probably got a bad speedo gauge.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • 1996 dodge ram 1500, 46re tranny (189,000 miles). problems shifting from 1-2. usually shifts late (over 3,000 rpm's) or i can shift to neutral and back to drive then it will shift. governor pressure solenoid and transducer both new. the two solenoids beside them test fine.

i'm trying to remove the valve body to check it out, but tranny is still in truck and i can't figure out how to disconnect throttle linkage to allow valve body to drop out. any help would be appreciated.
    Check the operation of the Transmission Throttle Valve and cable at both ends for binding. The Throttle Valve Lever on the tranny should return all the way when the Throttle Valve in the Throttlebody on the engine is in the idle position. Check for a missing or broken return spring.

Are you having trouble removing park rod or the manual lever? There's an E-clip on the end of the park rod. You need to rotate the valve body in order to release the rod. The manual lever shaft simply pulls through the case.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • there is a linkage on the outside of tranny above throttle body where the return spring is and it holds up the valve body when trying to remove.
  • can the front band be replaced without dropping tranny?
  • Hello,
    I have a 1997 dodge ram 1500 with the 360 in it. I'm not sure of the trans. 46 or 47. My problem is that once in a while, mainly when its cold or wet, it will almost seem like it's slipping. Also along with this problem it stalls in drive and shakes like it wants to die. If I shift into 2nd it works no problems. There is a check engine code for low output speed sensor, I replaced the output speed sensor on the trans and it did nothing.Light is still there Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
  • jerizjeriz Posts: 1
    my husband has a 1500 dge ram 1998 p/u. It is in the trans shop for repair. They said that the transmission cooler failed and it let transmission fluid into the radiator and anti freeze into the transmission - is this possible. They are saying to repair could cost up to 2,900.00. Does this seem right? Once the truck gets hot it won't go into gear except for reverse. Once it cools down it does go into gear. Thanks,
  • :sick: HELP! I have an issue with my father-in-laws truck. I borrowed it to tow my camper (6000lbs) and had a trans line blow on my way home. I replaced the line on the side of the road and could only get my hands on about 75-80% of dex-4 trans fluid. I had to use about 2-3 qts of type F crap to get the truck home. The truck was been sitiing for about a week or so before I could get it to a trans shop. Now it won't move or if it does, it crawls and revs motor. Any advice? I know the trans was HOT when the line blew, but it drove home with no issue once the line was fixed. Should I drop the pan and change the filter? Is it ok to blow the remaining fluid out of the aux cooler with compressed air so I can assure that there is no type F in the trans when I start filling it back up?
  • :sick: Have I got one for everyone - I have a 2006 2500 Diesel with 35Ks and I am having to replace my transmission! Because it is 5 months past the 3 year (obviously not the 100K) they will not stand by their product. Any suggestions or has anyone else had issues with their transmission with so few miles?
  • wsswvwsswv Posts: 1
    I have an 02 with same cause and problem. I replaced the od solenoid and tps still nothing, I being told to rebuild or replace the od unit. Also having same problem as pontiacfb69 with p poor cold running. If you find out anything please let me know. Thanks, wsswv
  • no it does not need PCM .first 3 gears are manual only over drive uses electronics sounds like the governer could be stuck or they left a check ball out of the valve body could be a few things PCM is not one
  • was you running the AC when you put the cruse on if so bad alternator can cause your converter to lock and unlock cause your rpms to very
  • HELP! I have an issue with my father-in-laws truck. I borrowed it to tow my camper (6000lbs) and had a trans line blow on my way home. I replaced the line on the side of the road and could only get my hands on about 75-80% of dex-4 trans fluid. I had to use about 2-3 qts of type F crap to get the truck home. The truck was been sitiing for about a week or so before I could get it to a trans shop. Now it won't move or if it does, it crawls and revs motor. Any advice? I know the trans was HOT when the line blew, but it drove home with no issue once the line was fixed. Should I drop the pan and change the filter? Is it ok to blow the remaining fluid out of the aux cooler with compressed air so I can assure that there is no type F in the trans when I start filling it back up?
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,497
    You can NOT use Dexron, Type F, or "universal" transmission fluid in a Chrysler automatic - those fluids will eat the trans for lunch. Chrysler automatics can only use ATF+3 or ATF+4 depending on the year. If you had a combination of Dexron IV and Type F in there, you are likely looking at a tranny rebuild.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• my 98 durango seems to start in third gear. the engine code is 6217 wich tells me govenor pressure sensor but, the dealer tells me it's a solenoid any ideas?