Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Transmission Problems

Comments

• What is your milage in town? Mine has been runnign between 14.7 and 15.8. I never have gotten much more than 18 hwy with mine.
  • liny3liny3 Posts: 7
    i have a 03 qc 4.7 that has 85k on the clock. the truck runs great i only have it 5 months. the whole time i own it i have noticed a moaning in the rear. it only makes the sound when i make a hard turn or u turn at a slow speed. some times it will make a sound when i turn in reverse. do i need to take care of this before it gets worse or can it remain like this and still drive fine?? will changing the fluid help??

also what do i need to do to get better mpg?? only avg.12.6 combined ???
  • Dusty, I still haven't had any luck with my shifting problems. Yesterday I took it to the shop to have it looked at. This guy is supposed to be pretty good so maybe I'll have something to tell you in a couple of days. He said he was thinking something like the speed sensor or governor or possibly trash in a valve. Anyway, when I find the problem I'll post it on here maybe it will help someone else out. Thanks again.
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    If the material has a slight golden appearance, it is usually from the planetary gears. However, you will usually find some small quantity in any automatic transmission. More than a teaspoon full might be cause for concern. Then again, I've seen some trannies thast had quite a bit of it and they still kept going.

Changing transmission filter and fluid periodically will usually prevent serious problems.

Regards,
    Dusty
    Valve Body issues account for better than half of all transmission problems, so it wouldn't surprise me, especially on Mopars. Fords and GM probably have less valve body issues, but more problems with the hard parts.

I hate to be a nag on this sublect, but change filters and fluid regularly and problems become far less likely.

Please keep us posted. Best of luck

Regards,
    Dusty
    Slipping on turns is a symptom of low fluid. Check the level with a fully warmed engine and preferably after driving for a distance. You could have a clogged filter and/or cooling lines causing poor flow and pressure loss.

If it slips out of gear the gearshift cable could be out of adjustment. This is not uncommon with units that have been removed for service.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • I just got a 1500 ram 4X4 started to notice that at high RPM trans shifts down and the backup and chatters truck is this normal I'm not able to find anywhere that some one has found a solution for it but lots of people have this problem

PS it's 2002
  • slemayslemay Posts: 3
    I traded in a 2004 Ram 1500 Quad Cab on a 2009 Ram 1500 Crew Cab. Love the truck. Drives like a cadillac, getting better mileage, more room for the rear passengers. So far, I have had the truck for 600 miles. The temp sensor does not work. It has already been replaced once. The second problem is I have a shudder. This occurs at 30mph and above. It has been back to the dealers twice for this problem. So far no fix, or answers. They did tell me that they had several other trucks on the lot that were doing the same thing. So far, of all the Dodge trucks I have owned, this has given the promise of being one to keep, but only if Dodge fixes the transmission and sensor problem.
  • slemayslemay Posts: 3
    I have an 09 Ram that the transmission shudders at 30 mph and above. The problem you are having is like mine, not normal.
    After giving this some thought, by any chance does this vehicle have limited slip differential?

Regards,
    Dusty
  • stanoskistanoski Posts: 76
    I heard from a salesman (Ex-Dodge) last year that Chrysler/Dodge pushes product to the lot with known problems/issues and fixes them "after" the fact rather than before. Just like computer programs, they always have updates because if you wait until its perfect, it will never be released, you fix it as you go. I had 2 initial issues with my 07 RAM and heard the same thing from the service guys. Maybe thats just the way it works?? This is the first "problem" that I have heard regarding the new 09s though. Its also well understood in the industry that you don't (shouldn't) buy the first year new model because they "always" have bugs to work out. This is as true today as it was 25 years ago. When you find the solution, please repost.

Thanks!

Ski in TX
  • I am having problems with my truck. Last night, I was driving home and my overdrive light had come on. Then, it started to not shift correctly. I had let it cool for a while, and the overdrive light had not come back on; however, it lost all transmission except for reverse. I had taken the pan off to see if there was any debris in it, which there was not. I haven't got a clue what is wrong. Do you? :sick:
  • while driving around 65 overdrive off light came on and shifted to od,, stoped turned off back on light off then happened again whats up 131000 miles
  • Mine hold good up to 70 & some where between 5500 & 6 grand!
  • kmzueskmzues Posts: 4
    ok here we go ! at 120000 miles i was driving the interstate and overdrive kicked out , a few miles later trans temp lite went on. i imediatly pulled over and shut down the truck for 30 minites. i noticed fluid leaking from the front of the trans . after cooling down drove slowly home , while driving i put the trans into neutral when i could to keep fluid moving but not using trans. my shop guy flushed out trans and removed check valve. truck worked fine for about 500 miles no leaks . then while driving 3rd gear went out , all i had was 1st and reverse ! no trans temp lite ! while limping home i would occasionally go into 3rd them i would lose it again !
    so i changed the filter and fluid (atf+4) and took it for a test drive . it shifted fine for about 2 miles , then 3rd was gone again ! just 1st and reverse. i checked the cooling lines both were cold ! when i changed the fluid i blow out the lines till no trans fluid came out . i also tried to blow compressed air into the line conection on the trans the top connection would accept air to a point then blow fluid back out . the lower would not take any air , like there was a one way valve ? is the trans toast or should i check something else ? i also have a p1740 code coming up .

thanks for your help !!
    Kevin
    "I heard from a salesman (Ex-Dodge) last year that Chrysler/Dodge pushes product to the lot with known problems/issues and fixes them "after" the fact rather than before."

Dodge is no different than Ford or GM in this respect, although I don't believe it happens with any degree of regularity. Each vehicle is dyno run, so some problems may not manifest itself until driven, although a certain percentage are test track inspected. If a fix is available at the factory, they always hold them. The oil sludge problem with our last Toyota was a known issue before we bought the Avalon. Whether Toyota didn't have a fix ready or not is questionable, but our Avalon wasn't recalled until it was too late.

I checked with three Dodge transmission tech. regarding a shutter problem on 2009 RAMs. None have had any problems whatsoever. A check on Chrysler's Technical Network yielded none...repeat, no service inquires regarding a transmission problem on a 2009. There have been no TSBs or software updates issued against '09 transmissions. The 545RFE used behind the 4.7 or the Hemi is far from new. This rock solid design has been around since 2000, and in all these years torque converter shutter complaints have been almost non-existant. My guy here in town said that none of the 2009 RAMs they've sold so far have come back for anything.

What may appear to be torque converter shutter could be something else. On RFEs, a DRB3 diagnostic check should reveal anything abnormal. Sometimes a PCM clean & reflash will solve unusual issues.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • I had the same problem with my 2001 with a 46re. It turn out to be a restriction in
    the auxillary cooler(factory). When my happen it damaged the rear bearing support
    and the over drive clutches and planatary gear set. It took two overhauls where the
    same damage happened before I replace the factory cooler with a aftermarket one.
    I also replaced my torque convertor as it was burnt front fluid starvation. Check
    your flow on the return cooler line(rear). It should drain your trans pan in about
    30 seconds. If you have poor flow, check and replace your cooler, i reccommend
    a aftermarket one as it does not flow through the fins. I also recommend checking
    the over drive unit and the rear bearing support and drum.

Hope this helps
    Robert
  • I just wanted to let you know, I picked my truck up today. It was trash in the valve body causing my shifting problems. I have not driven it a whole lot yet, but it seems good so far. $120.00 beats what I was expecting. I wanted to include that the guy who worked on the truck told me that he thought the transmission had indeed been rebuilt recently as the previous owner had said. But he said a rebuild almost never includes ANY work to the valve body or flushing out the trash in the system. So, I would think, if anyone is getting a rebuild, you should make sure to tell your mechanic to do these things. It may save you more trouble later. Thanks again for your advice.
    Well, I'm not surprised that your issue was related to a malfunctioning valve body. On Mopars, that's usually the case. But I have to tell you that in my experience the valve body is always an item that gets cleaned, inspected, and refreshed at rebuild.

The valve body by its very nature is prone to the effects of debris as the passages are very small. They also contain check balls which can become impacted with silt that affects operation. Pistons and valves and their bores become scratched and worn. On high mileage transmissions, many shops just elect to replace the entire valve body assembly that contains new parts.

Now as far as purging the cooling lines and system of debris, I tend to agree that this is more likely an area that misses attention by shops, although the better shops are more conscious and thorough. It's to any shop's avantage to do the job right the first time. I wouldn't spend eight hours or more on a rebuild, cleaning and installing new parts, and not check the cooling lines for silt or blockage. The job isn't going to last very long, probably less than 1000 miles, and you're going to be yanking the tranny back out again and also have one pissed off customer. Now the guys that do sloppy work like this will usually say, "something else failed" and charge you for another repair, or just blame the design. And after all, not many people understand the inner workings of an automatic transmission to know the difference.

Anyway, I hope this resolves the problem for you. Perform routine maintenance on that transmission and you should get another 150,000 fairly troublefree miles out of it or more.

By the way. My Dodge tranny guy just did a first rebuild on a 46RE in a '94 Ram at 221,000 miles. The front band finally broke. This customer did regular filter changes and flushed the transmission once at 150K.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • keith46keith46 Posts: 15
    Please Help! I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 - gas. Transmission went out and replaced it with a jasper transmission. Lasted 1 year $4300.00 later. Yesterday had it rebuilt, drove it home today it was fine the 60 miles home. Shut it off, about 30 minutes later tried to drive to town and it would not come out of 1st gear again. This keeps happening with every transmission. It seems that when it gets hot it wont shift. I have reverse and 1st. gear only. No shops around here can figure it out. Jasper thinks it maybe a sensor, but we replaced all of them, could it be another one? Any suggestions, running out of time and $$. Also, noticed I have a small radiator leak somewhere, could this be part of it, since there is a cooler for the trans in the raditator? Or am I confused?