Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Transmission Problems

Comments

• skyy606skyy606 Posts: 1
    I am having the same friggin problem. I have to take it up to 3500RPM and let off the gas to 1000RPM and it'll shift to 2nd, and if I accelerate to fast it goes into neutral. I just changed both my trans speed sensor and the rear def speed sensor, didn't help. Let me know if you figure this out I really need to figure out what the hells wrong with the dang thing!
  • kizzar5kizzar5 Posts: 3
    I have an 07 Dodge 2500 with a 5.9. I've got about 99,000 miles on it. I started having problems with the trans shifting into 2nd and 3rd gears. I had the trans serviced and now it shifts to 2nd pretty smooth, but it starts surging/jerking back and forth between 2nd and 3rd. If I let off the throttle and feather it til it shifts to 3rd, it's fine. The problem is only between 2nd and 3rd gears. Any ideas?
  • Do you still have the check valve in your tranny coolant line? It looks like a little cannister thing and is hard to miss as it's noticably bigger around than the line itself. If you do this may be your problem. The solution is to remove it (you may have to cut the lines next to it on both sides) and replace it with a good grade fuel type hose that will stand up to transmission fluid using two clamps on each end. Make sure you cut the hose to the proper length so it doesn't kink.

This check valve was a bad idea from the start and has caused many a premature transmission failures in Dodge Ram trucks due to it clogging up easily restricting fluid flow reducing pressure wearing out the clutches and bands. I have a 97 2500 V10 ext. cab long box. My trans is the 47RE HD, and the first thing I was told to do was to remove that check valve from my trans coolant lines and replace it with a piece of hose as described above.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the response. Will give it a try!
  • Mine did the same thing I changed filter and oil and gasket. while your their check for a broken spring in the 3-4 accualtor Its only 4.60 spring
    they break all the time my transmission has 268469 miles on it ... Check the dodge forum... you will see alot of broken spring problems.
  • Thanks Millionareman good info and great to know. Right now my 97 ram's 47RE HD trans shifts perfect but I'll watch out for that spring if I ever have problems. My friend has a 2500 that at low speeds shifts between 2nd and 3rd back and forth but with his I know what it is. When the check valve was replaced they used too long a piece of hose and it is kinked. If fixing the hose don't work I'll mention that spring to him.
  • my392my392 Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2006 5.9 and am having the same issue.
    Have you had any help or solutions?
    I tried changing the governor solenoid and the pressure sensor, no change. Took my truck to the tranny shop and got a call yesterday saying he had to pull the trans out. He said there was no adjustment left on the band. If that's all it is, gonna be about a $600 repair. Crossing my fingers there's no other problems. Good luck!
  • mwkendall1mwkendall1 Posts: 2
    edited March 2013
    I have a 2004 Ram 1500 crew cab 5.7 Hemi, 5 speed 545RFE tranny.
    I was going down the highway 60 - 65 mph, went to pass someone, heard a clunk, then engine started to rev high, got to side of road, no gears at all. No reverse, low nothing, also now make a whining sound that sounds similar to a turbo when engine is reved up, even in park.
    No problems prior to this, none!
    Anyone got any ideas??

BTW checked fluid, level was good, no apparent leaks etc underneath.
  • Sounds like you lost the front pump or maybe one of the planetary gear systems. How loud was the "Clunk?"
  • mwkendall1mwkendall1 Posts: 2
    edited March 2013
    not real loud, but definity audible and kinda jerked like going from neutral to drive at higher rpms while moving.
    If it was planetary gear systems or front pump, would it make a whining sound like a turbo when reved up in Park or neutral?
  • danlovindanlovin Posts: 1
    I had/ have the same issues with my 07 1500. I have also had issues with randomly the RPMs will go up, come back down, then go back up, and so on. When the RPM issue started about 2 weeks ago, I went up a hill and got above 4k RPM, then all of the above issues stopped. So if these issues occur, I have been giving it enough gas to get above 4k RPM and it stops it all, but I know it's just a matter of time before something serious happens, any idea would could be causing my issues so I can have it fixed for good?
  • jeffm14jeffm14 Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    :confuse: The torque converter is locked on my 2000 Dodge Ram 1500. Truck will stall when coming to a stop as if clutch is engaged, Hard shifts, and jerky driving as if lockup is going in and out. Replaced fluid and filter. Replaced TPS (throttle position sensor) No change. Help!!
  • My 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4 will hardly move at all in 2 wheel drive. But when I engage it into 4 wheel drive it pulls like it always has. I checked the transfer case to see if I had any stripped gears but didn't see anything. Do any of you guys know what might be the problem. Thanks for your help.
  • dsalmonsdsalmons Posts: 1
    I have a 02 2500 ram with a 5.9 automatic I have lost reverse and it will not shift out of second lost it all at the same time just wandering if anyone could help tell me what it is. It shifts fine in first and into second but that is it please help
  • I went to back up and to just stopped. All forward gears work fine. Slight noise sometimes, but not all the time. Can anyone help with this? Thanks.
  • dirt85dirt85 Posts: 1
    I have a transmission question. I currently have a 1978 Dodge Pickup with 5.2L engine and auto transmission and a 1999 Dodge Dakota with 5.2L engine and 5 speed manual transmission can i put the 5 speed in my 1978 model and if so what all am I gonna have to do to make it work.
  • 95wingse95wingse Posts: 1
    03 dodge 2500 diesel, 268000 miles. truck seems to surge while going down highway with cruise set. The tach nor speedo indicate increase or decrease in speed or rpm, but can definately feel the surge. Any ideas as to problem?, fluid level is in the "hash" marks on dip stick
  • bobo1973bobo1973 Posts: 1
    Did u by chance to figure out the problem cause I just had the same exact problem but I came out of a stop sign left out of first n then nothing like you..... can you help me out pkease...
  • ddb2ddb2 Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Dodge Ram145k miles, automatic, over the last couple of days I have notice when I first start from cold engine and put into drive, the transmission doesn't seem to engage. Engine revs, then engages. Once the engine is warm it seems fine again when I go from park to drive. Not having problems once I am on the road either. Any ideas what this could be?
    Thanks!
  • guythunderguythunder Posts: 19
    I had the same problem and this is what I did. It now shifts like a new trasmission. I odered these parts on line at www.CascadeTransmissionParts,com.....................

Product Information
    Product Name Part No. Quantity Item Price Total Price
    Governor Housing Base Gasket 12328B 1 $6.88 $6.88
    47RE Governor Solenoid Borg 12432AB 1 $56.88 $56.88
    47RE Pressure Sensor 96-99 12415B 1 $59.88 $59.88
    Universal Drain Plug Kit 3020S 1 $14.88 $14.88
    47RH / RE Filter Kit (R) 88-97 22011GR 1 $16.88 $16.88

Subtotal: $155.40
    I have had three other people do this to there Transmission and it worked for them to. Good Luck..
  • Thanks Guythunder for this info. Though at the moment removing the check valve has fixed my tranny problems in my 2500 4x4 V10 ext. cab long bed (47RE-HD trans) I may order these parts and install them as a preventative measure.

My only complaint at the moment is that my converter lockup won't enguage until I am going at least 53-55 mph, but as far as shifting the transmission shifts fine for now and I want to keep it that way. I would like to get the converter to lock up at around 40 mph though. My truck has the 3.55 gears -not the normal 4.10's that come in these 2500's though which may be why my converter doesn't lock up until I hit 53-55 mph. At that speed when it does lock up though engine rpms go down to around 1300-1400, and at 65 mph rpm's are still only just above 1500 at around 1600 to 1650, and 1700 at 70 mph. I have to go above 80 mph to about 83 or so for rpm's to reach 2000. Could the higher gears in my truck be the reason my converter won't lock up until I get close to 55 mph?

In any case again, thanks for the info and part numbers. :)
  • Did you ever get your trany problem figured out. I ran into a similar problem and audible clunk then nothing, but no whining...trany pan is clean, fluid does not smell burnt...

Any thoughts...thanks
  • winni517winni517 Posts: 2
    hi, i've been reading a lot of the posts on this issue and it seems like it could be a relatively simple fix. however, haven't seen a post exactly like my issues and would like to know if we should throw in the towel or not due to the potential cost of repairs. we have a 1996 ram sport 1500, 2wd, 5.9, 4-speed hd auto trans, it has never been used to tow. back in 1999, while still under warranty, the overdrive would have a delay jerk shift between 35 & 40 mph, dealer said front clutches burned and they r&r trans, disassemble & inspect, replaced all discs, plates, low reverse band, torque converter, seals, gaskets, o-rings & lip seals: reconditioned valve body, flushed case & overdrive housing, flushed cooler & flow test. not too long after all that, but AFTER warranty expired, the overdrive started going out again. due to frustration and shop expense we still haven't fixed it yet since it hasn't been our daily driver. in 2009 had it tested for codes but it didn't have any. currently, all gears shift fine, overdrive will work for about 20-30 miles as long as the engine is cold then shuts off. fuel mpg has continuously declined without overdrive working to maybe 5 mpg at best, ergggg. also i think the torq converter is whining, not sure if that is related to the overdrive or not. so, since it has been messed up for so long do you think it's worth trying to fix and if so what would you suggest we do??
  • parker68parker68 Posts: 2
    After being in the auto repair shop for 5 weeks now, I am just a little frustrated to say the least. First it would drop out of overdrive and that is all. I parked it for 2 days and when I came back and tried to drive, it would not shift out of 1st gear. Would go in reverse and 1st but nothing else. So took it to the shop, of course they said needed an new transmission, I thought it was electrical but anyway it had 122,000 miles on it. So put new transmisson in it. I can shift but still drops out of overdrive and now trans temp comes on after about 15 miles of straight driving.. We have replaced about everything. Today after replacing the govenor plate and speed and overdrive soleniod again, still does it. At wits end, got any suggestions?

:mad:
  • Get underneath and trace your transmission coolant lines from the transmission to the radiator, then through an external cooler if you have one then back to the transmission. What you are looking for is a check valve that looks a little like a cannister thingy. It will be wider than the normal coolant lined and easy to spot. Once you've located this, Remove it and replace it with a piece of hose double clamped on both ends. Do not use cheap hose -make sure it is high quality fuel or high pressure hose. You'll only need about a foot or so of it anyway.

Once you've obtained the hose cut it to the right length to avoid kinks. Install the hose after removing the check valve. This will help correct some low pressure issues.

Hope it helps

Allyda
  • parker68parker68 Posts: 2
    So is the check valve just gets hot and shuts down? Learning as I go.
  • What this thing does is cause fluid pressure los resulting in erratic shifting and in many cases loss of overdrive. Even the tech bullitin from Crysler says to remove it and replace it with a hose. The type of hose is important though. Make sure it's a high pressure hose that can stand tyransmission fluid. You will also need 4 clamps -the screw tightning kind as you will want to double clamp both ends. For mine I just bought a hose barb that fit my transmission and came off of that (it goes in the same place as the quick disconnect for the check valve does. Your check valve may be in a differenyt place though. You won't miss it as is looks like a little cannister.
  • winni517winni517 Posts: 2
    i really want to see if this truck is fixable since we can't afford a new one. it would be a shame not to try if it can be something fairly simple. i think we will try the suggestions in posts #62 and #1871. it doesn't appear that any of those things were done during the warranty fix and maybe that's what caused it to go out again so soon. also considering the governor solenoid as well. i've also heard that there are sensors in the trans that controls the overdrive as well as fuel consumption, any idea what that is? anyone have any other thoughts or ideas???? thanks
  • guythunderguythunder Posts: 19
    I had the same problem and this is what I did. It now shifts like a new trasmission. I odered these parts on line at www.CascadeTransmissionParts,com.....................

Product Information
    Product Name Part No. Quantity Item Price Total Price
    Governor Housing Base Gasket 12328B 1 $6.88 $6.88
    47RE Governor Solenoid Borg 12432AB 1 $56.88 $56.88
    47RE Pressure Sensor 96-99 12415B 1 $59.88 $59.88
    Universal Drain Plug Kit 3020S 1 $14.88 $14.88
    47RH / RE Filter Kit (R) 88-97 22011GR 1 $16.88 $16.88

Subtotal: $155.40
    I have had three other people do this to there Transmission and it worked for them to. Good Luck..