Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why so few economy cars with manual tranny?

Comments

• I bet she was MAD at him!!! I also think that you have a much better feel for the road and are a more attentive driver with a manual transmission.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    I was at my Dealer recently, and I noticed that out of about 15 Corollas and 15 Camrys, they had 1 manual tranny - a CE Corolla with very few options. I fear the end is coming for the stick!
  • :P Feelin even better about an almost impulse buy.

We simply had to dump our 1991 Midnight Black Jetta (Lucy)... The end was defined by the moment I stepped on the clutch, and the pedal basically crumbled to the floor. I hooked up a bungee to operate the clutch. After a day or two, I began to wonder about the consistency of other components of the vehicle...

There were two 2006 Corallas on the lot sixty days ago. One, an automatic -- spoiler, fog light automatic S, and a "non-silly blingy" LE stick. Love at first sight for the latter.

Lucy II is White, which is great. She's reminiscent of my Super White 1991 Tercel, the first "aerodynamic" Toyota design (some folks wondered if it was a Benz at the time!). It was also the first to sport the double-hoop logo (ye-ha).

However, I really did like the color of that S...um, I would say bal*sy blue, but evidently it's "Indigo Ink Pearl".
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    An LE stick is REALLY rare! Congratulations from one LE stick owner to another!
  • :shades: Rock on! Back at ya.

I wonder what the ratio of Corolla LE's are auto v manual?
  • bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,027
    ....the ratio of autos vs manuals without taking trim level into consideration is about 10:1. I would guess the ratio of LE's would be considerably higher. Mine is an LE 5 speed, so I would say I found a needle in a hay stack!
  • OK, so how many of you'se can't drive a stick?
  • I don't mean to sound condescending. I was lucky enough to have my brother teach me in a big flat parking lot in a Mazda RX-2! :)
  • I just got back from working in Florida. I went to a Toyota dealership in the Lake Mary/Heathrow area. They had 40 Corollas in stock of which 2 were stick shift. And those two were a S an XRS. They also had 2 Yaris, one stick, one auto.
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,691
    My 74 beetle was 48 hp and would go 80.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    I agree that the reason they stock manual transmissions is to be able to advertise in the Sunday paper a Corolla for $15K, which ends up being a manual with no options. Then once you're at the dealer and you realize that you want antilock brakes and cruise control, you end up paying $20K for the Corolla.
  • beantownbeantown Posts: 228
    I agree that the reason they stock manual transmissions is to be able to advertise in the Sunday paper a Corolla for $15K, which ends up being a manual with no options. Then once you're at the dealer and you realize that you want antilock brakes and cruise control, you end up paying $20K for the Corolla.

Holy crap, please tell me you live in Canada.
    i live in usa. I see used '05 Corolla's advertised for
    $18K. All the options add up.
    Options may add up, but there is no way you should spend $18-20K on a Corolla. Even a fully loaded LE can be had new for $16-17K....and a newspaper add for a loss-leader manual CE with no options should always quote around $11K. Any more than that, and you are just getting robbed.
  • Please tell me you live on Earth. I would very much like to know where in the US I can find a 2007 CE with a 5 speed for 11K.

Lowest price I've found around town is 15K out the door with tax tag and title. Only option is a cruise control.
    I'll happily pay $500 for a plane ticket to save $4K

Thanks.
    Two Boston area dealerships (Boch and Ira) both offer their loss-leaders at least twice a month in the local Sunday paper (Boston Globe). They are always listed for $10,900-$11,900 based on how long they've been on the lot. No fine print, down payment or trade in is accounted for in that price, nor are there any special military, loyalty or college grad discounts relied upon.

It's a simple fact that nobody in Mass is looking for a stripper, standard tranny Corolla....and the dealerships have a really hard time moving them. It's worth it for them to take a loss on the car just to get it off the lot, so they can fill that spot with a more profitable model.
  • mrrk47mrrk47 Posts: 104
    In Hayward Ca. ,Hayward toyota ran an ad last weekend for a 5sp CE...12998..this is true.Auto CE ran the week before for 13488...I was tempted but ended up with a more current Yaris. The Corolla just looks like a grandma car.
    I'd like to see the ad for a fully loaded LE Corolla for $16-17K!!
    AN LE was asvertised for 14588 at another local nor cal dealer...Corrolas are becoming a hard sell up here for some reason.
    It looks like to me that the Yaris is slightly bigger and more upscale that the old Echo and a mre appealing package than the current Corolla. I'm so pleased with my Yaris, it doesn't feel liek the typical bare-bone econo box it's supposed to be. I had a 1999 honda civic DX and that really was stripped with zero options
    what's the advantage of the yaris over the corolla?
    I'd like to see the ad for a fully loaded LE Corolla for $16-17K!!

Check out fitzmall.com. They have loaded auto LEs with an MSRP of $18,370 going for $16,893. This is why I question what you wrote earlier about seeing ads for USED LEs going for $18K-20K. Anyone who shops at those dealerships should be shot and put out of their misery.
    This is all purely a matter of opinion: potentially better mpg's, nicer exterior looks, built in japan, much better looking/ergo interior,plenty of power(not as much as corolla). I was faced with a decision recently, Corolla CEvs. Yaris base(power pkg, auto,)..it just appealed to me more since I intend on keeping this for over 6 or 7 years
  • boris13boris13 Posts: 80
    The Yaris liftback offers cargo space: enough for a couple of decent-size dogs, large amounts of groceries, multiple boxes, smaller furniture items, etc.

It can carry a lot of stuff while still getting 35-40 mpg.

The Corolla doesn't offer that flexibility. It's only made in sedan form.
  • Um, actually, the Corolla offers relative flexibility, without the entry-level issues.

Cargo space Yaris hatch: 12.85 cf
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2005-12-29-yaris_x.htm

Cargo space Corolla: 12.1 cf.
    http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HFI/is_7_52/ai_76143236

Lemme see.... 0.7 cf um that's like a large shaving kit( 9"x9"x9")?!?
  • boris13boris13 Posts: 80
    You're missing the point. I have dogs. I am NOT going to lock my two fairly large sled dogs (or ANY dog) in the trunk of a Corolla (or let them jump around in, and tear up, the back seat)! I need a hatchback. The Yaris comes in a hatchback; the Corolla doesn't.

Therefore, the Corolla isn't an option for me.
  • Not missing the point. You could put one large sled dog (unlocked in a sedan or any other, my friend) in the backseat and carry mucho mucho accessories in the trunk.

:D SIMPLIFY, MAN!
  • OK, look. I have TWO dogs, not one. They are super high-energy (think Iditarod-type dogs). They will literally destroy the upholstery in the back seat of a sedan (which, as you point out, will only have space enough for ONE dog anyway) and jump around from the seat to the floor in such a vehicle. Getting rid of one dog is NOT an option (if anything, I want to acquire more dogs), and they need a somewhat hard, level surface to sit or lay on.

My Number One priority when it comes to considering potential vehicles is accommodating my dogs on trips to the training area. Again: first priority is being able to transport the dogs safely and comfortably. Bottom line: I need a hatchback. For me, a hatchback is the most versatile body style.

MPG/operating expense is my Number Two priority and reliability/durability is Number Three. I fail to see how the Corolla works for me at all. If they ever produce the Corolla in a hatchback, I'll look at it. But it damn well better get 40 mpg, too.
  • bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,027
    Somehow we've gone from talking about why there are so few manual tranny equipped vehicles to why it's necessary to have a hatchback because of dogs. I love both hatchbacks and dogs, but can we get back on topic?
  • Yes, sorry.

I guess I was answering the question that someone posed within the overall topic, which was: "Do you think the Yaris is (will be) the best small Toyota?"

My answer to that is "Yes," at least to the liftback version, because of its versatility (which I have over-expounded upon).

As to the original question, "Why so few Corollas, Yarii, and Echos with manual tranny?" ... I would guess that it's for two reasons (which have likely been covered earlier):
    1) Americans are lazy and want automatics so they won't have to shift (or even learn to work a clutch)... and 2) There's a perception that modern automatic transmissions do just as well in terms of fuel economy as manual transmissions (they don't, in my opinion).
This discussion has been closed.