Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why so few economy cars with manual tranny?

Comments

• bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,028
    Congrats on finding your Prizm. I would guess they are even tougher to find than the manual Corollas! BTW, I've been told the Prizm isn't quite the same as the Corolla, but I'm not sure what the differences are (other than cosmetics).
  • lhansonlhanson Posts: 268
    I believe that the engine is turned around 180 degrees on the Prizm. I have both a 2000 Prizm and a 1997 Corolla. On the Corolla the oil filter is on the front side and easily accessible. On the Prizm it is located on the backside between the engine and the firewall and very hard to reach. It goes to Walmart for an oil change, the Corolla I do myself.
  • Keep in mind, though, the Corolla/Prizm underwent a model redesign for 98, and I know with our CR-V in the redesign for that model, 2001 in this case, they rotated the engine 180 degrees. I'm not saying you're not right, I'm just wondering if the engine was rotated because of the redesign and not the branding.
  • Just a remark about camry stick shift availablity. When I was looking for one, an SE, I found only 1 dealer in MD who had one, and they happened to be the closest to me. Upon test driving, the car had over 100 miles on it, and they said it had been there since April when the first 2007's were coming in. This car had all the bells and whistles, moonroof, upgraded stereo, VSC, etc. I ended up ordering an SE 5sp manual to my needs, as I didn't want the extra added on options and wanted a new fresh car that wasn't abused by probably at least 8 test drives (Espically a manual.), not to mention a color I wanted. Just my 2 cents again.

Perhaps there is something to them not selling. Again, perhaps on an LE model, they would sell better, just reporting my findings on the SE 4cyl model
  • I just went through the Toyota dealer down the street from us. They have 4 Corolla's, 1 manual CE, 1 auto CE, 1 auto S, 1 auto LE. They also have 1 Matrix, auto and 2 Yaris hatchbacks, 1 stick, 1 auto. I wonder how much of an impact each part of the country has on a need/want for stick shift vehicles. I read that on the new upcoming CR-V, a manual transmission will no longer be offered.
    ....will happen with the likes of the Corolla and Yaris. They stop offering the the manual tranny and they lose my business!
    ....so few are interested in the topics I'm interested in? Every time I either start what I think is an interesting topic, or I post in an existing one, every else stops posting? I don't get it. :confuse:
    ....a guy when he's down. I post a message basically complaining about being ignored, and even that get ignored. Nothing like carrying on a conversation with a wall. :(
  • Most people don't have the skill level to drive a stick. I prefer one but for ease of use if my wife or kids need to drive my vehicle, I normally buy a automatic.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    My last car had a stick. The guy who bought it said his wife didn't know how to drive one, but he was going to teach her. Then she refused to learn and he turned around and sold it a couple of weeks later.

It's kind of one of those chicken and egg things. People don't have to learn anymore, so they don't. Then the demand drops, so they make fewer and people have even less reason to learn.

I think it's a real shame. :cry:
  • I bet she was MAD at him!!! I also think that you have a much better feel for the road and are a more attentive driver with a manual transmission.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    I was at my Dealer recently, and I noticed that out of about 15 Corollas and 15 Camrys, they had 1 manual tranny - a CE Corolla with very few options. I fear the end is coming for the stick!
  • :P Feelin even better about an almost impulse buy.

We simply had to dump our 1991 Midnight Black Jetta (Lucy)... The end was defined by the moment I stepped on the clutch, and the pedal basically crumbled to the floor. I hooked up a bungee to operate the clutch. After a day or two, I began to wonder about the consistency of other components of the vehicle...

There were two 2006 Corallas on the lot sixty days ago. One, an automatic -- spoiler, fog light automatic S, and a "non-silly blingy" LE stick. Love at first sight for the latter.

Lucy II is White, which is great. She's reminiscent of my Super White 1991 Tercel, the first "aerodynamic" Toyota design (some folks wondered if it was a Benz at the time!). It was also the first to sport the double-hoop logo (ye-ha).

However, I really did like the color of that S...um, I would say bal*sy blue, but evidently it's "Indigo Ink Pearl".
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    An LE stick is REALLY rare! Congratulations from one LE stick owner to another!
  • :shades: Rock on! Back at ya.

I wonder what the ratio of Corolla LE's are auto v manual?
    ....the ratio of autos vs manuals without taking trim level into consideration is about 10:1. I would guess the ratio of LE's would be considerably higher. Mine is an LE 5 speed, so I would say I found a needle in a hay stack!
  • OK, so how many of you'se can't drive a stick?
  • I don't mean to sound condescending. I was lucky enough to have my brother teach me in a big flat parking lot in a Mazda RX-2! :)
  • I just got back from working in Florida. I went to a Toyota dealership in the Lake Mary/Heathrow area. They had 40 Corollas in stock of which 2 were stick shift. And those two were a S an XRS. They also had 2 Yaris, one stick, one auto.
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,683
    My 74 beetle was 48 hp and would go 80.
This discussion has been closed.