Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy S10 - GMC S15 and Sonoma Electrical Problems

Comments

• I have the same problem on my 97 Sonoma 2.2, 4cyl, 2wd.
    When this happens, I hear a sound as if someone/something was banging once on the firewall and I get a whining sound from the alternator. The speedometer then behaves like a tachometer, responding to engine revs instead of speed.

For some time, turning the engine off and waiting a few moments would bring things back to normal.

In the past few days, it wasn't possible to re-start the engine. It acted as if the battery was discharged, with starter clicking sound and gauges dimming. The battery was fully charged though. Opening the hood and wiggling all the cables that lead to black boxes now brings things back and I can start and drive again - until next time.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
  • I have a 2001 Chevy S10, recently the gauges and lights on dash starting just turning off then right back on now they flicker on & off continuosly, radio will turn on & off. The guages start going haywire. So far my truck hasn't actually turned off but want to head off any problems. Any ideas/suggestions?
  • you might check for a loose ground
  • i have a 1995 chevy s10. i was driving along and all of a sudden there was a smell of something burning and a little bit of smoke coming out of the heater vent next to the driver side window. i pulled over and took part of the dash apart and didnt see any damage. popped the hood and still no damage. checked all the fuses and they were all still in working order. I am at a complete loss and have no idea on what couldve caused this! any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! thanks
  • try a battery
  • i have a ( 1991 Gmc Sonoma 4.3 v6 ext cab truck )
    i went to go and start it the other day it worked i then turned on my heater and the truck just died and never re-gained it's power back
    with that said

i changed my ( ign switch on the lower column ) and changed the fusible link in the starter soliod ) neither one of these did anything for me i checked my battery and it is good
    checked links on m alt they are good

i have head lights brake lights and a dome light that works

when i put my key in and tuen it to me i get the radio to work but that is all that works in my truck

can someone tell me what to do please thanks and god bless
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 872
    Check battery ground at engine. The body ground is a separate wire.
    Check power connection at starter while your at it.
  • ok i will check out the grounds power and neg. wires i will post back what i find if you think of anything else let me know thanks for the info
  • gmc1991gmc1991 Posts: 11
    no dice i looked at the power wire going to the starter and it's good
    looked at the ground wire and it's good

i re-re-placed the fuseable link on the soloind no dice

looked for loose wires around the engine all good

looked under the dash panel at the fuses

all are good -except i found one ( shunt fuse ) that would not light up on my tester light what does a ( shunt fuse ) do any way
    Looking is not good enough, need to remove clean and reinstall.
    If the ground is a stud or bolt remove and clean the threads.
    ok will do thanks i will post back tomorrow around 12:00 p.m.
    ok so i cleaned all pos and neg connections

did not work

i found 3 red wires on my fire wall and tugged on them and everything came back on

so now i have to bolt my starter back up and make sure i can start it will post back tomorrow with the area and wires i found
    Yes, red wires would be power. Was not sure your truck had firewall wires, not too familiar with your age truck. Mines a 99.
    i was told that the red wires on my fire wall are ( a junction box ) that has fusiable links one the red wires but i can not find or find anything that is loose or burned on these wires but tugging them seems to make it all work
    Well something is not right if tugging brings the power back.
    you can say that again

i went for a test drive today after tugging those wires and all went well
    i will test and look at those wires this weekend to futher inspect them

and will post back on what i find out about the 3 red wired on my firewall

i know one red wire runs over to my blower motor relay

and the other 2 will find out sat
  • i have a 03 s10 extreme problem is when the head lights are off interior lights dont work when you turn headlights on all the lights on dash turn on like when you first start the car also you cant turn the headlights on manualy only the automatic headlights work any ideas
  • Hi, I was wondering how you resolved this problem? I have a 1991 Suburban, that also buzzes a relay behind the dash when I honk the horn. Also, when I honk the horn, the rear dome light flickers. Any help would be much appreciated.
  • Hey there!, found a bad ground and it solved my problems!

Good Luck
  • gar9gar9 Posts: 1
    Any ideas on this one guys?
    My 95 S-10 cut out driving the other day. Seems like an electrical problem, as the air bag light flashed, the dials jumped, and then the engine cut out. It started again, and ran for a couple or days, but this morning it cut out again for good. Also, the revs dropped and almost cut out when i put it into reverse (manual trans.)
    Here's the thing, the battery is fine, and the starter motor is turning, but none of the dash gauges or lights are on. The internal lights work okay, and the brake lights, headlight etc. even the radio, just none of the dash lights or gauges, and the enigines not firing. Fuses are all good, and can't see anything obviously wrong with the wiring.
    So any ideas guys? I'm an amature when it comes to home mechanics, but any ideas, help, or things you recon i should check would be greatfully received.
    Tada and thanks;
    Most likely ignition switch, not key, the electrical. Easy check. With key on run see what fuses have no 12 volt power that should have. I use a 12 volt test light for this check.
  • mc22x3mc22x3 Posts: 6
    check your starter solenoid, then check for a short in the wire between the clutch safety switch and the solenoid. took me a lot of time and headaches and 2 solenoids to figure this one out.
    i have a ( 1998 GMC Sonoma 2.2 4 cyl )

if you are looking from the tailgate my ( right ) ( Tail light ) has blinker and brake and reverse light working ( BUT ) my running light and license plate light are not working ( only on one side )

can you please help me out

thanks and god bless
  • the_big_althe_big_al Posts: 1,073
    check for bad ground. I had a similar problem where the turn signals and reverse lights would go all funky. I found a bad ground under the bed by the frame on the driver's side. Look under the bed near the frame rails for wire looms and see if there is a ground wire there that has frayed or come loose or something of that nature.
    i have looked for a ( Bad Ground ) all good there i have even ( Changed ) ( Bulbs ) nothing worked

i was told that there is a ( computer attached ) to the back ( tail lights ) but i can not find and do not know what it looks like or even where to start

more advice or more opinons would be great thanks for the help so far
    This may help you out. I like to trouble shoot lights with a 12 volt test light, very cheap.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/gonogo/379926Parklamppower.jpg
    i will try this out today thank you i will post back and tell you what happened
    that really didnt do anything :( i checked every wire i was getting nothing on the side that i am having trouble on :( and everything was good on the other side :) any other ideas that i could try ?
    Look at the schematic, power starts at RR PRK fuse 10 A, need 12 volts there. Splice pack SP 400 connections there. Start at fuse for power.