Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy S10 - GMC S15 and Sonoma Electrical Problems

Comments

• A Big Thanks. I will give it a shot.
    RD
  • s10atiouss10atious Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    i've got a '96 2.2l 5spd. and everything , i mean everything works down to the lighter, courtesy light and all bulbs in between. i guess i'm the lucky one :shades:
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 869
    My 99 2.2 auto does too.
  • hamerdownhamerdown Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    i left the key on overnight and had a dead battery, i put the charger on it without disconnecting batt., then started it, with charger still hooked up, i think i killed my alternator, when truck is running, and i take the neg. batt. cable off it shuts down. battery light is on, guages failed, i needed a new batt. anyway, so i bought one, the guages work, 4 now, i drove to work, but left it there, so i didnt have to drive home at night using lights. seems like alt., but i would hate to buy and install, and find out its a brain, or wire harness, or something. any advice is appreciated. chevy s10 2000
  • kngjmzkngjmz Posts: 2
    First, NEVER, ever connect a battery charger to a automobile with battery cables connected as the amperage from charger is much different thatn that of the charging system. You said that while truck is running you disconn the neg. cable and it dies...do the same thing but disconnect the pos. Does it die? Do you have a voltmeter? If you do, start the truck and check voltage at the battery (black lead to neg. cable, red to positive) Your charging system should be putting out 13.8-14.5 volts. If it is not, replace the alternator. Also, most parts stores will test your alternator for free....simply remove the alternator and they will put it in a carbo load tester with a "pass/fail" result. This does sound like an alternator issue. If it where a harness or computer you would get a check engine light and other systems of the truck would not work. Feel free to email me should you need furher assistance. kngjmz.1@gmail.com
  • After reading your post I realize that I am not the only one with this exact problem. When you spoke about the watching the volt guage float from 14 I literally had "deajavue" of driving in my 98' Sonoma. Since it has been over 4 years since your last post I am wondering if you found your problem and if so...WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM!?!? Please help! Thanks! :confuse:
  • Hello there. I see that I am by no means the only person that has major electrical problems with my 98' GMC Sonoma 5 speed. Tonight, I just replaced my 3rd battery in the past 1 1/2 years...luckily I purchased a battery with 3 year replacement for FREE! Anyways, this is what my truck does to annoy me...

Sometimes it will drive fine all day, but others it barely wants to get a mile and the volt guage will fluctuate after staying pinned at 14 it will "float" a bit below 14 and if I use my blinker or some other electric instrument it goes down as well. Another thing it does is when I am driving the guages will all of a sudden go crazy...the MPH and RPM guage will go way high and then go all the way down. The other guages will act eratic as well and then the truck will shut off. Sometimes it will start right back up, but other times I will have to pull over and pray that it will start again. Tonight it didn't start at all...wouldn't jump-start either so I returned my battery for a new one, replaced it, and then proceeded to drive about 8 miles to my house without a single issue except I noticed the volt meter dip a bit when I used my blinker.

I've had my starter replaced, and the battery and alternator have been checked and all check out fine. I've been told it could be a speed sensor, but the AAMCO told me that manual transmissions don't have a speed sensor?! The fuel pump has been recently replaced as well, but because it was shot. I see that many people have electrical problems with this vehicle and was hoping that you could give me a bit of advice on where to go next. Thanks! :confuse:
  • My 96 S-10 2.2 5 speed runs great with 300,000 miles but lately has been loosing all electrical power. It stalls and goes completely black. even the presets on the radio are erased. Turn the key nothing, no interior or exterior lights nothing. A few minutes later it runs fine again. I think this has happened while driving but the momentum just restarted the motor. I had battery checked and replaced two days ago. Alternator replaced a year a go.
  • the_big_althe_big_al Posts: 1,068
    first thing to check with electrical problem (especially in these trucks it seems) is a bad ground. Probably a main ground somewhere.
  • i have a 1999 chevy s-10 with a 2.2. When i have the car running and no lights on, the day time running lights do not come on. When i turn the lights on no head lights come on. Just the running lights. If i play with the column and put it in drive i can get the running lights on. Anyone have any suggestions???
  • tjacoby4,

Did you ever figure this out?! This just happened to me recently. Any advice would be much appreciated.
  • when i am having issues i get nothing, not even the dome light. however, if i turn the ignition, my gagues will start to rise or flicker. I have to disconnect the battery then reconnect and everything will come back on and it will start. as i am driving, i can hear the alternator in the speakers and the dask lights flicker. i have replaced the ignition switch and alternator. thinkg short someplace or a switch. it has gradually got worse. today i had to jump it bypassing the battery. Any ideas?
  • If I had to guess, I'd say you have a bad ground. A major one, like the cable to the block, or the block to the frame, etc. Next time it happens, try just jerking on the cables and see if it comes back on. I just had this happen with my 79 Chevy truck. I turned on the headlights, which barely glowed, and started pulling on cables. When the lights came alive, I new where the problem was. It turned out to be where the negative cable went into the cable-end attached to the battery (Autozone junk).
  • Thanks for the idea, i was leaning toward that too. 160K and never changed cables. The 2 positive cables are wraped together and then break apart and go their own way. was thinking of the ground or that the 2 cables were arcing. won't be able to get to it until Friday but will let you know what i find out.
  • My son is having the same headlight issue with his 95 S10. Also, the horn won't work when the dome lights do work and visa versa... its crazy. I'm concerned about the headlight issue and will have him try this tonight. Glad I found this forum. From what I gleaned... could be cables or a relay. He doesn't hear the clicking that the other guys posted.
  • vkk2vkk2 Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 S10 with 4,3L engine.
    The right rear turn signal and the rear right brake light dos not work. The bubl is ok. I've switched the right and left bubl. I've also measured the voltage on both right and left sockets for the bulb, it gives the same reading.
    Any suggestion?
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 869
    Have voltage, ground problem.
  • vkk2vkk2 Posts: 2
    I've found the problem :O)
    It was a loose connection were somone had cut the wire to splice in another wire for I gues a boat plug or something!!!
  • chris326chris326 Posts: 1
    had the same problem exactly was actually driving and it died...replaced everything the same as you and it still wouldn't start 400 bucks and 6 mechanics later I pulled the distributor and it looked ok but replaced it anyways...when i compared the new one to the old one i noticed the old one had alot more "play" in it....think i paid under 100 bucks for it, ran like a champ pulling my 5th wheel ever since
  • zrokewl299zrokewl299 Posts: 4
    I have a 1998 Sonoma SLE w/ the 4.3L 4x4.

I have the following electrical issues:

Not working:
    -Rear passenger light cluster
    -wiper jets
    -Cruise control
    -Radio does not turn off w/ ignition (does turn off if passenger door opens and closes but not driver side)
    -Airbag warning on and off

These were all issues when I purchased the truck, I just didn't realize it. Is it possible there is a single issue causing all of these probs or is it more likely there are separate issues for each one?