Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy S10 - GMC S15 and Sonoma Electrical Problems

Comments

• i have also had the same trouble i bought a piece of 4GA high voltage cable and rerouted the starter wire because i found mine wedged into the motor mount and was just about cut in half
  • crealcreal Posts: 1
    I've put new wires ,coil, dist., coil control unit all of these I've put on twice since december tried high performance ignition parts too. Still night inspection looks like a lazer light show..
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 869
    Try OEM wires and plugs.
  • I have a 98 S10 and it blows the AC fuse every time the switch is turned to any AC mode but if I replace th fuse while turned to Vent and the blower and all works OK. I have disconnected the compressor wires and it still blows. Any help on how to fix it would be great because the AZ heat is killer with no AC.

Thanks,
  • w3axxw3axx Posts: 2
    I just repaired a crazy, intermittent problem that I have been having for the past couple years with my 98 s10 wipers. I removed the cover of the wiper motor housing and pulled out the circuit board (was all rather easy to do) and found four bad solder joints on the board. Reheated those joints and applied a little solder and it is now working great. The joints that were bad were the ones to the connector to the wire harness ..... the largest tabs on the circuit board (probably the reason they were bad .... they didn't get heated enough in original manufacturing operation!!)
  • I had that problem last year and fixed it with a new wiper module from Autozone for about $25. My current problem is linked to the AC, Blower, or one of the parts in that system but I can't find it because it starts working when I trouble shot.
  • w3axxw3axx Posts: 2
    Wow! 25 bucks for a new module wasn't bad at all. I was feeling all "pumped up" cause I thought I saved myself from buying a $200 part !!!! ha ha ha The blower motor ...... hate those kinds of problems ... when they start working by the time you take it apart !! Be on the look out for bad solder joints (need a magnifying glass to see them) cause thats the way they often act up. GL
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 869
    Not bad solder joints, vibration problem.
  • oldtimer.....just curious if you've had any luck with your problem? I just got my S-10 back from the repair shop. It died out on me on the way home from work last week. I thought this was my electrical problem finally crapping out my computer. It turned out to be a bad catalytic converter. But since it was at the Chevy dealership I had them take a look at the electrical problem. Of course the answer they gave me was that the alternator was going bad. I know that's not the problem because I just put a brand new one in there. I had visions of them telling me it was 10 different things before it was ever fixed and me being out $2500! So I told them thanks, but no thanks and brought her home.
  • My AC electrical problem ended up being a bad compressor clutch or bad pressure switch I'm not sure which one or both but since the switch is in the back of the compressor I am replacing both to make sure.
  • I have a 99 Sonoma SLS 2.2 with 62000 miles that I recently purchased. I've been noticing that occassionally, the starter motor barely turns over (at first), while other times it is fine -- doesn't seem to matter if the car is hot or cold. It appears that the battery is relatively new (it was replaced last Nov).

Is this what starters do before they die? Should I get a new starter, or is this an electrical gremlin?

Thanks!

Stephen
  • I have a 1994 gmc sonoma. One day I had a problem with the dash lights there were none, turn on the dome light the floor lights come on. No tail lights. Start the truck turn off dome light it stays on. I pulled it into my garage to check the electrical problems. Fuses are good. No crossed wires or fraied ones. Needless can't find the problem. So I go to mare the truck out and it will not turn over. It is not spraying. Fuel pump does run. Can anyone help?
  • ok. so my truck is an 2003 S-10 with 65k on it. about two weeks ago, it started making this really high pitched buzz from the center console behind the dash and then the RPMs dropped WAY down when it idles. to the point it stalled when i took my foot off the gas (it's an automatic, and therefore not supposed to stall.). i had a mechanic friend look at it, it has a battery, the alternator is good, but we couldn't get it to start. i had it towed and my shop couldn't replicate the problem, i took it home. i just took it out tonight and it started fine but all the warning lights on the dashboard lit up for a second, then went out. then went on. then went out. it said my parking brake was on, it wasn't, and it said my seat belt wasn't on, it was. it didn't stall, it idled fine, and then the whole thing shut off, and the clock on the radio reset itself. the dome lights still work, the radio works, but it wouldn't start at all. i waited about two minutes and it started fine and i was able to make it home.

can anyone tell me what the heck is going on? they plugged it in and couldn't get any codes, and all the fuses are apparently ok.

i'm a fairly small woman and i have to drive through some fairly rough neighborhoods on my way to campus, and i really don't want to get stranded, especially since i have no idea what the problem is. HELP!!
  • no i was still trying but i gave up and bought another truck and am using that one for parts but i dont think it was the display itself i tested all the plugs for power and had none. and couldnt find out why.
  • I was installing a cd player in my 97 s10 and when i pulled the dash apart i broke the hazard light switch off. Now when i put the brakes on both the signal lights come on, so i got a buddy that works at a junkyard to find me one , but the only one he could find with no cruise control was out of a 98 s10 . Will this one work in my 97 s10?
  • There should be a switch on the brake pedal somewhere locate it and replace it it's probably bad or needs adjustment..
  • :cry: I HAVE A 92 CHEVY S10 SONOMA. I THINK I HAVE A SORT OR A BAD GROUND BUT DON'T KNOW WHERE TO GO FROM THERE. THE LEFT BLINKER WORKS ONLY. WHEN YOU TURN ON HEAD LIGHTS THE BLINKERS DON'T WORK AT ALL, AND THE BRAKE LIGHTS STAY ON ALL THE TIME. AT TIMES EVEN WHEN YOU TURN THE BLINKER ON THE WIPERS START UP. AND ONE OTHER PROBLEM ON MY HEATER YOU CAN'T AJUST THE BLOWER SETTING. YOU EVEN HAVE TO POP THE HOOD TAP THE RELAY JUST TO GET IT TO WORK THE LITTLE IT DOES.
    ANY IDEAS!!!!!
  • Replying to: awade (Jul 18, 2007 7:49 pm)

99 out of 100, it's always a bad ground when things look alien.
    Ground will seek out anything to make a circuit, as in making false lights light up, dimming of others and so forth.

Check ground connection at radiator core support from battery terminal.
    Also add a ground from battery to other body panels, fender, back to the engine anywhere. Use #10 gauge wire.

Replace poor looking battery cables.

Sand clean the body ground connection and use a good grease before mounting it.

Clean and wire brush cables and battery terminals so the shine, apply grease on connections and clamp tight as possible so that if you grab cable it cannot move or twist at the battery connection.

Good Luck
  • Hey i have the exact same truck with the exact same problem any idea of what it is have you got it fixed yet? i was thinking it was the head light switch but i dont know just a guess. Please respond asap.

• Is This article for the 96 Headlight problem. My headlights go on and off when i drive. where do i look for the ground wire. can you be really specific on how i can find it.

Thanks,
    Dan :confuse: