Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy S10 - GMC S15 and Sonoma Electrical Problems

Comments

• gonogogonogo Posts: 874
    Have you had it checked for codes? You could still have power to the head lights and they will not come on without a ground.
    I own a 99 Sonoma 2.2 auto. I have lots of information on the 99, the head light schematic looks like a bowl of spaghetti.
    The 99 also has a BCM, Body Control Module, not sure if that could cause your problem.
  • mikeysonmikeyson Posts: 4
    No engine codes. I have the Chilton repair manual which has several wiring diagrams that I've been looking over. It almost looks like there's 2 seperate issues, the lighting and the heater. I'll check back once I look at the power to the lights...
  • Hi there,

this is the first time posting on this forums and only because i'm about to loose my job because my truck is making troubles.

I bought a 83 s-10 (2.8l v6)from a car shop last week. when i testdrove it everything except the headlights worked fine. they said they're gonna fix it and i can pick it up at night. when i came to pick it up i had to compression start the car but the headlights worked. i drove for 5 minutes and the lights started getting dimmer and the turnsignals stopped working.I pulled into a gas station, turned off the car, turned it back on and it worked fine again. 15 miles later the voltage dropped all the way down and the engine died. My buddy came with another batterie and i could drive it to my house. The next day i drove it all day (never used the headlights) but at night and probably 20 minutes after i turned on the headlights the voltage started dropping again and i turned the car off before it could die again. Then nothing worked anymore, not even a click to start it.
    Next morning it started without any problem and again ran all day. even had it running with the headlights on for a while and it worked fine. then again at night i had the same problem and i turned the car off(had to jumpstart it the next day).
    Autozone tested alternator and it was fine...
    the wiring seems kinda screwed up so i wonder if i could have a short

any helpfull tip is much appreciated !

thx in advance
  • sn4ck0sn4ck0 Posts: 8
    Hello all,

I've a 95 S-10 2.2l, and I'm trying to work on fixing my heater/a/c issue, and I believe that it is a grounding issue, but I'm unaware of where the grounds are for this.

So if any of you have or know where I could get them, I would be much, and greatly appreciated.
  • dehdeh Posts: 1
    I have a 1985 GMC S15. When the lever is right, or left all of my turn signals come on at the same time. Would there be any help out there for what the problem may be?
    Thanks...
  • farside4farside4 Posts: 3
    I recently towed a friends trailer and noticed when unhitching that the running lights were out. And also noticed that the driver side parking lights were out as well including the license plate light. I have a brake light and turn signal just no parking light on that side. The passenger side is working fine and all other parking lights are working correctly. Is there by chance a inline fuse that i missed cause i have check all the fuses that i know of in the fuse box. Any suggestions.
  • farside4farside4 Posts: 3
    found problem looking now a replacement fuse box..
  • bgolenorbgolenor Posts: 2
    just had samething fixed
    replaced multi function switch in steering wheel worked 5min he said switch burned relay out. replaced it and working fine.
    i would try relay first
  • bgolenorbgolenor Posts: 2
    i had same problem with my 2001 s-10
    garage put in muti function switch in steeringwheel work for about 5 min.
    than a relay because old switch burned old relay.but works great now.
    so i would try relay first

GOOD LUCK
  • polanderpolander Posts: 3
    The daughters 1991 GMC Sonoma with a 2.8L V-6 died on the side of the road and was towed home. A friend of hers put in a spare battery he had, checked the fuel pump relay, said it was bad, wiggled it and the truck started. She bought a new battery, put a few miles on the vehicle that night, next day a few more miles then another tow home. She bought a new relay which I replaced with no success. I heard no fuel pump noise and lowered the tank. Another "helper" showed up, I handed him a tester and he said I had voltage to the pump. So I replaced it. Hit the key and it wouldn't start. I listened for the fuel pump and heard no noise. I tested the old pumpto find it worked fine. Checked power to the tank with a Multi-meter to find 5 volts and that my helper didn't realize a dim bulb meant low voltage. I checked the wires from tank to hood, no breaks or fuse links. Pulled apart the multi-pin connector on the firewall to find it full of axle grease instead of dielectric grease. Cleaned with contact cleaner, re-assembled, hit the key,heard the fuel pump, nothing. Pulled the fuel filter, got a shower of gas, replaced filter (the old one clogged so badly it wouldn't pass air). Hit the switch, nothing. Checked voltage at tank and it was back to 5 volts. Removed and re-cleaned connector, still nothing. Put the charger on the new battery. Tested Ignition Module at the parts store. It was defective so I replaced it and still nothing. I've cleaned grounds and checked terminations (after I ran a wire from the battery to the disconnect on the fuel pump0. Still nothing. I probably fried the new fuel pump with all of the twisting and tugging. I know that was a lot to digest. Tomorrow evening I'll drop the tank again and try again. HELP ME PLEASE, My hair is gone! Thanks
  • hello, iv got a 91 s-10 2wd with a tbi 4.3 auto tranny. well my truck quit running and started blowing ecm fuses. so i pushed it down the road and decided to put a new fuse in it. well it started working again and i drove the truck for a couple of months like this. well a couple of days ago my truck just quit running. and smoke started coming out form under the dash. it melted the fuse it didn't just blow it it litteraly melted it! so i towed the truck home. started inspecting things and testing stuff. well i went over any visible wires and checked the pump its still good. but i found a couple of bare wires inside the throttle body they go to the injectors. so i replaced the wires and injector plugs. put a new fuse in it and it doesn't blow the fuse but it wont start either doesn't even fire. so i put power directly to the pump to make it run it still didn't do any good and i know its pumping i took the line off and tested it i put fuel in the throttle body and it started. i have a parts truck like it so if you have any ideas id appreciate it. thanks
  • mickeymouse2mickeymouse2 Posts: 161
    If the truck will run with some other type of flammable spray, sprayed into the throttle body, its most likely fuel related only. Because you tested the grey power wire to the pump and it only had 5v. Suspect sorted assembly for fuel pump or power delivery issue. Unplug the harness and check voltage again. If you now have 12v, you have a short in either the pump or the assembly hanger. Remember if 12v is being supplied and there is a short somewhere, your meter will read less than 12v, depending on the amount of amps the short is. GM fuel pumps short quite often in the assembly hanger where the wires go through to the pump. By unplugging the harness and checking the voltage this way, you will know only then if the proper voltage is trying to be supplied.
    If the truck will run with some other type of flammable spray, sprayed into the throttle body, its most likely fuel related only. Because you tested the grey power wire to the pump and it only had 5v. Suspect sorted assembly for fuel pump or power delivery issue. Unplug the harness and check voltage again. If you now have 12v, you have a short in either the pump or the assembly hanger. Remember if 12v is being supplied and there is a short somewhere, your meter will read less than 12v, depending on the amount of amps the short is. GM fuel pumps short quite often in the assembly hanger where the wires go through to the pump. By unplugging the harness and checking the voltage this way, you will know only then if the proper voltage is trying to be supplied.
  • im trying to remove the fuse box on my 91 s-10 i dont know how to get to what ever is holding it on can some one help me? thanks
    Thanks, I replaced the wires from the tank to the terminal block under the hood and the pump worked. Still wouldn't start. I have fuel in and out of the throttle body, power to the injectors when I turn the ignition to the on position. Since the fuel filter was so filthy I decided to remove and clean the injector module. Inspection revealed much dirt and a bit of rust on the pressure regulator diaphram so I cleaned the unit, rebuilt the regulator, reassembled and reinstalled the unit. Still nothing. Any thoughts?
    Now that you have fuel comming out of the injectors, sounds like the fuel issue is resolved. Spark plugs may have gotten fouled with all the cranking. Check for spark also, on more than just one wire.
    Well, at that point, I didn't have fuel coming out of the injectors. I was cautioned about using DIY cleaning chemicals. (see my screen name) I filled the unit with cleaner and let it soak for a while. I then rigged up a "gizmo" of clear tubing that let me have cleaner to back wash the injectors by applying low air pressure. That did the trick. The dirt (or ?) had hardened in the injectors like concrete. (maybe one of the kid's friends was pissed) Put it back together and drove to the new O'Reilly's in town for some high end fuel injector cleaner. Lucas fuel injector cleaner was on sale 2 for $6. (limit 12 per customer) I stocked up. Thanks to all for the help. Sadly, spending so much time under the hood and under the truck revealed emergency brake cables that need to be replaced, wheel cylinders that are leaking, valve cover gaskets that are failing, and a radiator that probably needs to be flushed. Again, thanks to all.
  • sinfulonesinfulone Posts: 1
    What did you do to fix the problem? I have a 95 that is doing the exact same thing.
  • OK so I did a bonehead move today... took apart the wiper motor connector to clean all the contacts, and didn't keep track of which color wire went in which socket!!! There are five wires, two at the top, a black wire in the middle, and two at the bottom.

I'll label the sockets like this, looking INTO the connector at the metal connections:
    --------
    | 1 2 |
    | - 3- |---
    | 4 5 |
    --------

where the line by the "3" is where the tab on the connector is. I'm fairly sure that 3 is the black wire, but if someone could be so kind as to peek under their hood and tell me where all the other wires go? Don't worry, I won't be making this mistake ever again!!!!

Thanks tons,
    Tim
    (gotta love ASCII art....)
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 874
    2=green
    1 = brown
    3 = black
    5= white
    4= gray
    We all do dumb things, it's called being human.
  • Thanks a million! Yeah, I struggle with being "human" :)
  • 93s104x493s104x4 Posts: 1
    I have 1993 S-10 that caught on fire under the hood about two years ago i put a wiring harness in it out of a 91 S-10 auto mines a five speed. The truck runs but very rough and has no power at all. I talked to a local mechanic and he said that i have to find the exact harness to that year pick-up so does anyone know where i can find a wiring harness for a 1993 five-speed S-10 if let me know cuz i've been looking and haven't had any luck thanks
  • I have a 1984 s-10 Tahoe. the horn and all the dome lights except for the one under the glove compartment quit working.when I hit the horn it wont blow but the radio quits and goes dim, if you turn on the dome lights or open the door the radio losses all its memories. I was told it was a groung. the problen is where is it? any ideas?
  • I have a quick question. What could be the problem that my rear blinker and brake light does not work but the tailight still works. It's the same bulb so why would one work and not the other. I've tried new bulbs but nothing is working. Thanks
  • if the new Bulbs dont work then it may be your socket is bad and needs replacing
  • serealsereal Posts: 1
    hi, and thank you all for the help that im sure is to come with this problem!!

i run a 2001 s10 3door 4.3L v6 and recently i have had my high beam indicator light start comming on and staying on when the truck is turned off, none of my DRL, Lo beam, hi beam nor any other light on the truck are on, i dont know whats causing that light to illuminate, but i do know that at the RDO BAT fuse on the left side of dash is drawing almost 0.9 amps on a 10 amp setting, and 12.3 volts at the same fuse.

i haven't how ever pulled the insterment cluster and read amp/voltage at the light bulb socket, this is the only fuse ( between underhood and and left side dash fuse blocks aside from the int bat 30amp maxi fuse which controls the RDO bat circut + others ) that has any draw when the truck is off.

im not sure if there are any other fuses, relays, fusible links, inline fuses that i have missed, but if my truck sits for any length of time over 16 hours the battery is dead, posibility of the GMC anti-theft/security light staying on and causing the truck to not start.

back in july 07, i had the right side lower control arm and ball joint seperate, dropped front end onto the tire, towed it home and the tow truck found a sink hole hidden under my driveway which gave way and thus dropped my front end a 2nd time in 2 days.

i dont know if this situation would have any impact on my problem now but may as well throw it in there.

cheers and thank you all now for any ideas thoughts or solutions
    Ser

PS when the truck runs every thing works the way it was intended to high beam light off when in DRL and lo beam settings, hi beam dash light comes on when i turn high beams on goes out when i turn them off and go back to lo beam and DRL settings, this problem only occurs when truck is not running and every thing is off.. closed it up locked the doors was sitting on my drybox in the back and noticed this
  • I have a 95 s-10 and the daytime running lights and the highbeams work fine, but the low beam lights will not come on. Everything else is working properly, the rear lights and the dash lights come on. Does anyone know what the problem could be?
  • I had the very some headlight problem with my 94 S 10 with the addition of having to manually help start my wipers. I did not pursue any mechanical help until my alternator died. Installed a rebuilt alternator, and my electrical problems are gone. It has been three months now, still fine. Worth a try. Worked for me. tness
  • I was driving along and my radio, ac, cruise, and odometer quit working. The engine runs fine and starts easily after shutting down. I checked the fuse and everything seems ok. I saw the AC relay but do not think this would control the cruise and odometer. The radio came back on after restarting the engine.

Does anyone have an idea on which way to go from here or even preferable a fix to my problem? Could it be a ground that I can't find?

Thanks in advance,

Boilrmakri

:confuse: