Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New R-Class Owners - Give Us Your Report

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited August 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
Congratulations on your new vehicle. This is the place to post your initial impressions.

Comments

• markc5markc5 Member Posts: 19
    We just took delivery of our R500 yesterday. It is great! We have been more than impressed. We purchased one pretty much fully loaded. Very smooth, powerful, luxurious So Far So Great Plenty of Space and I do mean Plenty :)
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Be sure and keep us posted on your driving pleasure. Sounds like a wonderful vehicle. I think I will wait for the diesel version nest year.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Also, did your dealer indicate how the response was to the R-Class so far, or how many they've sold/pre-sold so far?

M
  • benzsterbenzster Member Posts: 152
    I just traded my 98e320s in on a Silver/black R350. I love it! The air suspension is awesome btw. I just hope I get to use the extra clearance option and all time 4wd this winter. Pray for snow. We don't get much in the south but with the ice that we do get the ESP ASR function will come in handy. This is my wife's vehicle. I just can't part with my 82 300TD. With only 70k I just can't let it go. I am heading to Gatlinburg, TN on Wednesday. I suspect this will be even better than the E. The low noise level, lots of room, stereo (single CD up front)w/ changer in glove box, side windows that roll into the doors (all the way down :p Yukon), BIG rear doors mean no stepping up over a fender well into a vehicle with no foot well room, cup holders in the console with room for a big Gulp (no more flip-flop-and-fold MB cupholder), make this vehicle a big YES. I could go on. I still reach for the shifter in the console when I get in and my wife laughs when I use the steering wheel shifters. My kids love the panorama roof. Every day she comes home and tells me about all the positive comments from friends and co-workers. We asked for a bigger ML and the answer is the R. If you are hung up on a "truck" get the new G-wagon replacement (suburban size). For my family (wife, 13 and 11 yr old)this is perfect.
  • albellalbell Member Posts: 185
    I was able to pick my new R 350 up on Friday, in time for our weekly trip upstate. It exceeded my expectations. I put nearly 400 miles on it over the weekend and it performed brilliantly.

I was always concerned about the ride -- whether it would be close to the standard of my E Wagon -- and after a weekend of hauling stuff back and forth between a couple of houses, cruising highways and carting a xmas tree home -- I have to say that in several ways I found it superior. It is rock solid, got nearly 22 mpg on the trip home (110 miles) and averaged 18 overall over nearly 400 miles of very mixed driving.

The handling (I have the air suspension) is excellent, with a good steering feel and a very stable attidue in turns. It drives and rides like a Benz should. It doesn't feel anything like its size.

I know from experience that MB's gain efficiency after 5,000 miles or so, and I am hopeful that the mpg will get even better.

In short, a very happy camper.
    Good to hear! Do keep us informed. It *seems* like the stuff out of the Bama plant is much better regarding reliability so far. I haven't seen nearly as many complaints about he new M-Class compared to the previous generation. Hopefully since all three of these vehicles R/ML/GL use the same "stuff" underneath (more or less) they'll all be way more relible/trouble free than the first generation M was.

M
  • newmownernewmowner Member Posts: 86
    you haven't seen that many complaints on the new M because it is too early, and plus does not seem like anyone is buying them.
    and plus does not seem like anyone is buying them

Well the sales numbers YTD say otherwise, they're way up over last years. Sales aren't the M-Class' problem. Qualtiy? We'll just have to see.

M
  • 5total5total Member Posts: 15
    Panarmaic sunroon, Trim package, 18 inch wheels, wood steering wheel, Entertainment package, rear DVD, air matic suspension. I walked in with all my numbers a ended up getting it for 800 under invoice. Good deal I think. I will give you my feed back as we go.
  • newmownernewmowner Member Posts: 86
    yes, they may be up over last years, but does that really say anything? last year, they had an outdated, underperforming model. i would hope the all new vehicle would surpass the previous model in that category.

they did do right by me given my problems, and i hope people are having better experiences with theirs. it is a wonderful vehicle otherwise.
    i would hope the all new vehicle would surpass the previous model in that category.

Well that is all you can expect really. It says that the new one is a success. The old M-Class sold pretty well right up until the end for it to be so outdated.

M
  • albellalbell Member Posts: 185
    Congrats.

What are the colors?
  • 5total5total Member Posts: 15
    Sorry it took so long to reply. Took a drive down to the Bay Area for a couple days. The R is a Black on Black. I wanted silver but the car is for my wife and ultimately it was her call.
    It was a great drive. I found it took a little getting use to. The view out the front windshield does not include the front end. As I look out my E320, I see the hood of the car and the Mercedes hood orniment. With the R-Class you see nothing. It is a very different feeling. It took about an hour to get use to it. But then again, I have been known to be a slow learner.
    I will keep you up to date as to my (our) opinion. So far I think I got a great deal on a great car.
  • amgsteramgster Member Posts: 4
    We picked out a silver R350 with no options. After thinking about it, we didn't need the navi, our kids are grown up so they don't go with us thus eliminating the rear DVD package. My wife can't be exposed to the sun for long periods so scratch the sunroof. No 18" wheels because we wanted comfort not performance (we'll drive the AMG for that).

I wish they had kept the hood ornament because it also served the purpose of knowing how close your front bumper was to the wall.
    Great! I hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours as we do ours. 4500mi. and very happy.
    MB design in reference to the sloping hood is...it should dissapear and give a "better" view ahead. If it dissapears under the hood you are close enough.:P It takes some getting use to certainly. We shall see if this stands true for the GL (square hood).
  • templeton3templeton3 Member Posts: 69
    So after spending over $50,000 for a R Class, there is no Cargo Cover. $173 for a Cargo Cover. Parts dept told me $262 for a Cargo Cover for an M Class.

If no Cargo Covers are included, what else did Mercedes leave out. For on overprice car, they still look for a way to stiff you. Is it the Chrylser influence?
  • wopelwopel Member Posts: 92
    Without a bench seat how can they do a cargo cover. I need the dog barrier, but again, without a bench seat??? They should have taken the wagon and made it better, rather than a cheap MB or an expensive Chrysler.
    Mine has one (cover) and can be moved foreword if the seats are down. The ML has one as well. The dog net is separate (not like roller shade in wagon attached to seat).
    It comes in the comfort package in addition to the cargo cover.
    Man, if it came in it you would complain, " I don't have a dog why am I paying for a net". You guys......
    My wife old car (2001 E320 wagon) had one that was a cargo cover and net built in together as one. It came standard with the car. You could remove the whole thing when you needed more space. Even though we didn't have a dog, it came in handy. We would put the dog net to prevent things from flying forward in case of a sudden stop or if got rear ended. Of course the cargo cover was always used.

My wife doesn't care so much about not having the cargo cover on the R because she reufses to drive it.
    So you are saying that the issue is that the wife does not like the R. Why do I get the feeling you are in the same boat?
    The R class really doesn't do anything for me either. The only one who enjoys it is the nanny. The ride reminds me of the American station wagons from the 80's. Big, large, comfortable, boring to drive. In my opinion it doesn't have the excitment of other Mercedes like the C,E,S class. When you drive any of the other class mentioned, you say WOW!

With the deep discounts and aggressive lease program, it was hard to pass on the R Class. We have no regrets, but its not a car that we love. I know that my child will be safe in it.
  • nomorebenznomorebenz Member Posts: 109
    The same reason the car has no bench, is the same reason the ML no longer has the third row.
    It's called GL marketing.
  • jabbahopjabbahop Member Posts: 3
    I picked up our new R350 and drove it 1000 miles home. It was a great deal so worth the long drive. We purchased a new (200 miles) R350 - silver and black interior.

Options
    - pano roof
    - leather
    - wood leather steering wheel
    - airmatic
    - entertainment package
    - heated seats
    - 18 inch wheels

Because the family didn't come along, I can't speak to how it works with a full crew but here are some thoughts from my trip.

* Overall this is the nicest and most comfortable car I have owned. We own a 2000 ML 320 and a 2003 Volvo Cross country and this is much smoother, quieter and more comfortable than either of them.

* the gas mileage cruising on the highway (typically around 72mph) was 22.7 mpg. Somewhat better than I had expected.

* it is a quiet car. I was surprised when I got home and loaded the kids in the back I could have a conversation with them without yelling.

* a great cruiser - comfy, quiet, and smooth.

* it isn't really quick accelerating. If you want this - I would try the V8 or another car.

* Don't really like the wood and leather steering wheel. The wood part looks nice but is a bit slipperier than I am comfortable with.

* the silver hides the road dirt but the black leather (and carpeting) shows everything - oops!

* the ipod integration kits works well and sounds great but you have to manually switch play lists and modes (shuffle, etc.) by disconnecting it from the cable in the glove box and using the ipod controls. Not a huge issue but could be nicer.

* I love the intermittent wipers and cruise control. The wipers really do a good job detecting when they come on and how fast they need to go. The cruise control is great because you can go up or down by single 1mph increments AND the 5mph increments (55, 60, 65, 70, 75). Move the stock a little upward and you go up one mph. Move up all the way and move speed to the nearest 5mph. Down works the same - nicely thought out but probably old hat for most of you.

* the shifter takes getting used to. My intuition told me that down SHOULD mean backward and up is forward. Fortunately I had my foot on the break @ the gas station or I would have visited the window of the store!

* the standard lights aren't great - work well on high beam but most of the time I had to ride with low beams because of opposing traffic. Investing in the Xenon would probably be a good choice for someone.

Worst part of getting the car was my mother's reaction.

"It is interesting looking - looks a bit like a Chevy." Ouch #1. She followed up with "Ah they still haven't fixed their leather seats have they." Well I agree on that one - not real software leather.

Kids have only ridden to their soccer game so don't have much to go on yet but they love it so far. "The sunroof is "COOL" dad." "Where is the DVD player" - we are getting a portable unit in this car and see how that works vs a built-in.

It is early but I am a very happy owner. It is comfortable, versatile, drives nicely, and feels good - a definite step up from my ML. I got a great deal (well lower than invoice) If it is as reliable as my ML, I will be very happy.
    Nice report. It seems that anyone who buys the R loves it, but everyone else from the outside looking in doesn't get it.

M
    jabbahop I agree with you on every point and drive the same vehicle (color, adds, etc).
    The steering wheel is THICK. I find myself staying away from the wood.

Try the "lane change" signal. Tap the stalk and you get 4 blinks only.

Your mom might not like the leather but you will in 4-5 years when it looks the same as it does now.

I hate to say I told you so, but the low beams seem like they are aimed too low.

My kids love the "lap top" type DVD player with additional screen. I take it inside and on airplanes etc.

I recommend the "sport" suspension setting for heavy cross winds.

Hmmm what else.....oH YEAH! Read your Ipod book. You can go to artist, lists, etc. I had to read the little book to figure it out. Use RH buttons as well. ;)

How did you feel after the long drive? I am interested in hearing about your mental and physical state after a long drive.

BTW it is time for your first service. 1K greet,6K tire rotation, 13k service.
  • jayhawk90jayhawk90 Member Posts: 2
    I've had a R500 for a week and have put 800 miles on it already since we've driven from the dealership and we have visitors in town. We have an '04 E320 wagon that was getting a little cramped with two kids and it didn't offer any real room when we have friends in town. The R seemed to fit the bill and when the lease became very attractive we made the move.

The car we found was a loaded 500 without the leather seats. I initially wanted the 350 for the gas mileage, but I've enjoyed the bigger engine when the car is loaded with passengers. Speaking of passengers, I've had 4 adults and 2 kids in the car for hours and it's been extremely enjoyable for all. We don't have the 3 zone climate (seems crazy for a 67k MSRP) and it tends to get hot in the 3rd row, but other than that, very comfortable and a LOT of fun to drive.

The MB Tex is fine, especially with kids, but I do miss the zenons my E has. Other than that, the car is great - no regrets at all.
  • mbowersmbowers Member Posts: 3
    I've had my R350 for three weeks now. I love it!

I was driving a 2006 E350 before, but needed more space.

The exterior is eye catching. I have the Barolo red.

Mine is fully loaded.

The drive. My husband has an s class. The first thing we noticed is that it drives like a sedan.

We have the monitors on the head rests. My daughter plays her leap pad handheld game on her screen, while my son will usually watch dvd's on his.

The only thing I don't care for too much is the small storage in the back. Weekly grocery trips require lowering one of the back seats.

Don't even get me started on the stares and comments the car gets. Everyone that has been in ours has headed up to the dealership to check it out.
  • qkslvrqkslvr Member Posts: 34
    I've owned the R350 for a month now. We are young retirees (51 & 53), with married kids and grandkids. It's an extremely quiet ride, comfortable but responsive. My wife has never had a minivan and was never interested in one. The R suits my wife well. The grandkids fit well in the both the 2nd and 3rd rows, and a plus for us is having latch tethers in the 3rd row.I like that it sits lower than an SUV, which makes for a smoother ride on the freeway in windy conditions. The rear doors are big, but it makes it easy to get in and out. Everyone we have taken in it is amazed at the room and comfort.

Only changes I would have liked is to have the seats fold completely into the floor.So far, we have been pleasantly surprised with the vehicle.
  • irishrogue1irishrogue1 Member Posts: 127
    LATCH in 2d row is a given these days. but 3rd row....hmm was MB thinking they were marketing this to?? last time i checked the only accessorty that used LATCH was a car seat!!

i absolutely agree with your points, but really should we pleasantly surprised by a car that costs $50k+??? I burn through disposable income like its....well disposable, and I expect cars to deliver based on the price category. when i pull the trigger on an R500 I expect it to meet pretty high standards. i was pleasantly surprised at the auto show when i got in the new hyundai azera, the subura tribeca, mazda 3 and volks passat because of styling and value in their respective price categtories. i approach higher prices cars with my arms folded and an expectation that they will deliver. do others feel the same way?
  • cary28cary28 Member Posts: 53
    Well, I picked up the Desert Silver/Macadamia R350 on Saturday, and here are some first impressions. This is a loaded R350 with the premium package, comfort package, trim package, lighting package, Airmatic suspension, 18" wheels, Parktronics, 3-zone climate control, wood/leather steering wheel, and rear side airbags.

It is a true luxury car in the European sense, with a very supple ride, strong engine, tight steering, and quiet interior. It has lots of room, but is a big car, so does take some getting used to in terms of parking. I just love the "Toys" which comes with this car. The Panaromic roof is vast and open, the HID lights which "steers" is just unreal, and the airmatic suspension is tight in the sport mode, while nice with just the right feel in comfort mode. The Parktronic is helpful, although I would prefer a rear camera. I will need to calibrate this system with my senses, as it still leaves plenty of room when all the red LEDs light up(I would prefer 2" rather than 8"+). The stereo is very nice with a full sound. The GPS navigation is not as intuitive or user friendly as my Garmin C320, but I'm sure I can play with it to get from point A to B.

I get a lot of interest from other motorist and people just walking up to see what is this R350. There are very few in my neck of the woods, and I may have seen 1 or 2 in the last few months in my neighborhood. The car is not under-powered as some suggested, but is on the heavy side. The engine is strong, particularly at high speed. It has enough "oomph" to start from a standing stop, and the only problem was going uphill from around 35 - 40mph. I didn't know how to use the paddle shifter initially, and finally figured out the inside edge was for downshifting and the outside edge was for upshifting. I didn't read the manual :blush: I'm sure I will learn all the functions after reading the manuals, and playing with it while enjoying the drive.

Well, thats it for now. I will post another update after living with the car for some time. Oh, another thing, this color interior is really hard to keep clean. Oh well...
    My wife, who hates the car, says the only benefit it has for her is a right leg workout. Because the car is so sluggish, she has to press down hard on the accelerator to keep up with traffic. I too just press hard on the accelerator to drive it. It's now starting have a rough shift. A R500 would of better choice. Luckly we don't drive it much.
  • cary28cary28 Member Posts: 53
    I'm not sure what your expectations are on a MB R350. I own a BMW, a Porsche, and a Corvette, so I am no stranger to powerful cars with V8s and "kick [non-permissible content removed]" acceleration. This R350 is strong but not in the league of the cars above. But then I don't expect to race a MB either :surprise: Its not a quick car, but its power is adequate to haul its weight around, IMHO.
  • alandparkeralandparker Member Posts: 7
    I don't mean to be "cocky" but if you all bought a Benz that you got a couple bucks. I bought a R500 with every conceivable option except the DVD. Buy a portable DVD for a third the price and use it ANYWHERE. ANyways, I didn't even consider the 350 so I don't know how much cheaper the smaller engine was, but does it possible move this rig.

Oh, besides every conceivable option. I nearly "emptied" the accessores catalog: mud flaps, aerokit, "light up" sills, rear console, IPOD, hands free, handle inserts, on and on.
    I've just got organized and aquanted with this site so I don't know if you can tell by this reply how to get to my other messages concerning my 500, but I'd like to know your expericne to date. Yes, I can spell. MY mind just works faster than I can type. .
    MY R not only has a cargo cover, but also a cargo tray and a "safety divider" (dog keeper outer.) I can install the cargo cover in a couple of different locations, the cargo tray works nicely at the very tail end with "sides" for spills and tthere is also a mesh divider that can located either behind the second or first row of seats and can be attached to the floor quite tightly. ONce you've practiced it's easy.
    Folks,

MY R500 not only has EVERY conceivable option except the DVD, which is stupid at 3K when you can by a portable player at a third of that, but also, at least, seventy five percent of the "accessories catalog" . . . aero kit, mud flaps, cargo carriers, luggage, lighted door sills, ipod, hands free, on and on and on. Did I mention she's black and macadmania. She's mind boggling. Stop comparing some night when your R is in your front yard all shined up. If she's gorgeous then, forget the other mazda options you maihgt have considered. WRONG. I now have 5K on mine and I've owned every concievable "top line" luxury vehicle from every mark, and this one is not only unique,it "well executed. NO, there is no single aspect or driving ability to this vehicle that is better and ANY other in the world, BUT it does aWHOLE lot of a WHOLE lot of different things, very , very, very, well. I will now return to my "cubicle" on this site and reiforce what I just said with some pic of this goregous vehicle.
  • jprescott1jprescott1 Member Posts: 29
    I hated my 03' E500 but love this car. Better brakes( not electronic) nice improvement in V8 drive since my 1st year intro. Nav.... don't need to go there but better. Tripto in the steering wheel! Sat SIRIUS could be better in terms of scroll. Gas hog...yea, I now, shut up cause' I paid this much for a car. I'd like better range on tank though. ipod in glove box is all I need. HK is cool. I have an A8L and Bose really stinks. I'm glad MB dumped it( my 2000 S430 had it). Bottom line. I got an 06' loaded for $599 tax in/month/12000 miles a year 1600 down. Cheaper than the XC90 it replaced!! It's kind of like serving Opus One as table wine but at this price what the heck.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I've moved the post with the question about air bag coverage to the Mercedes-Benz R-Class Safety Issues discussion and you may continue there.
  • irishrogue1irishrogue1 Member Posts: 127
    as anyone who has followed the lease sub board over the past 2 months, you know that i finally pulled the trigger on an '06 R500 with 18" wheels, Sirius, Comfort Package, and Premium package. 27 mo lease, 12k, only $508 month before tax, $795 + 1st month payment at signing, + $800 direct to shipper to get it to east coast (bought in Santa Barbara).

initial impression - what a great car for $500 month!! i dont i think i would have gotten it for $600-700+ month because it has a number of shortcomings, but you cant beat this level of luxury at this price.

200 miles driven and a few comments -

exterior - styling is great. while it is a bit minivan looking, no mini can boast this fluid styling! it blends CLS roof line a bit, low stance and just looks tough.

power - 7 speed tranny [non-permissible content removed] around quite a bit. subtle shifts b/c of close ratios, but little bumps with constant gear changes always seems to remind me what is going on...plenty of power on tap under hard acceleration. cant complain about the size/speed at all.

handling - again with low stance and decent rubber, it settles in nicely and while you can easily upset it in a corner, you can also set it up to transition smoothly.

driving position/parking - i cant see the hood. i m 6'1" and i cant see the hood....if i crane my head close to headliner, i can see the washers on the hood.... as a result this car is not easy to park and navigate tight quarters. blind spots? oh yeah! mirrors dont offer much coverage, high beltline, tight space between seat and b pillar all make for a harder drive than large SUVs and minvans. Can i live with it?? oh yeah. just need to get used to it and be careful when lane changing, backing out of parking spots, etc. In retrospect, i definitely would have gotten parktronic!

interior fit/finish - very nice, although i am driving a $63k car with no leather....how is this an option???? i dont care how nice the mbtex is. this is ridiculous that basic seating surfaces were not leather in the R500 and then offer a pricey full leather option that includes seatbacks, door panels, dash, etc.

stereo - nice. good fm radio reception, good sound stage, pletny of volume for stock system.

rear seats - folding the 2 row and getting them at the right spot for the 3rd row pin to engage is freaking hard!! manual is no help. definitely not quick and easy. but once down, nice space.

overall - this thing still lacks the convenience of a minivan in terms of space, sliding doors, etc. BUT the styling, performance, interior materials, handling ,etc. more than make up for it! we still have a honda ody and it will be the vehicle for most family (2 toddlers, 2 goldens) trips, but for everyday use, we are putting in a 2d set of car seats and will split the car for everyday commuting/driving duties.

it really is a pleasure to drive! at $500 a month it probably cant be beat.
  • sussansussan Member Posts: 17
    Last week I lease a R500. The next day I noticed the
    car has no Rear cargo cover, Cargo net, Grocery bag holder
    or Cargo tie downs.

I understand that these items are standard for this car.

Any input would be appreciated.
  • guyspatguyspat Member Posts: 4
    We just go back from visiting family over Christmas and did 1,300 miles in about a weeks worth of driving. The car is a Black on black R320 cdi with the package 2 and heated front seats. It is absolutely a great way to demolish miles.

So far I got a nice comment from a "cougar" in an Acura TL and then a man went wow in positive way as we drove past him at a shopping mall.

The diesel is no weakling and it does like to drive at triple digit speeds. Furthermore you can still have an intelligent conversation at high speed something that can't quite be said for my CTS-V. At this point couldn't be happier.
  • sullyaksullyak Member Posts: 30
    What type of gas mileage are you averaging in with your cdi
    Thanks
  • guyspatguyspat Member Posts: 4
    Averaging 22 mpg so far with a mix of city and highway driving.
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    Check here too Mileage
  • ncrewsncrews Member Posts: 6
    Fully loaded, 2 month old R320 explodes suddenly in our driveway during a Colorado blizzard.

See the complete story and pictures at http://www.landxml.org/R320.

• eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    that'll buff right out.
  • nextnext Member Posts: 6
    I got sick of the Honda dealer here in Colorado Springs and traded our Odyssey in for an r350 with a p1 package. I've had it only about a week. I really like it. It has most of the versatility of a minivan but is a better drive, has all wheel drive, much quieter and much better looking. There are only two things that I don't like: most annoying is the mercedes texture seating surface....fancy word for vinyl. It gets hot and sticky and does not breath well. I notice this in the winter, so I'm guessing summer months will be awful. The other issue is outwards visibility. The rear view is very small. The nose of the car is much longer than expected and takes getting used to to park. But that's it. I'm hoping that Mercedes service will be much better than Honda if we need it.
  • dpirwindpirwin Member Posts: 3
    Anyone else, particularly 320 CDI owners, had a problem like this? We have owned our R Class 320 CDI for 5 weeks and it has thus spent 3 in the shop, with one more in the forecast before we get it back. Turns out that a sensor -- apparently, of water in the fuel filter -- failed in a way that not only led the engine to misfire and triggered the "check engine light" but allowed fuel to leak back through a line to a control-box into which other sensors, including that for backpressure in the exhaust upstream of the catalytic converter, also feed. Backpressure sensor failed first; mechanics replaced it (took them 3 work days), but didn't detect underlying problem until water-in-fuel sensor failed a week after initial repair. Second failure also failed the backpressure sensor for a second time. Car's now in its second, longer trip to the hospital. Parts mostly available from US, but one needs to come from Black Forest, so second stay in hospital is going to last 3 weeks.
    Dealer has been great -- put us into another R Class 320 CDI, which drives like the dream we thought we were buying, and the diagnostic process seems to be working methodically. But it is sure taking a long time, and if this is a harbinger rather than an anomaly, I want out. We didn't spend $50K+ to have an invalid car.
  • pete51pete51 Member Posts: 20
    I am exploring car options and the R class is on the list, but it is not getting good sales reviews. Is this car a dud? I currently own a E320 and it has 200k miles. The car does have minor repair problems that I would happen with a car that has 200k and is 10 years old. I also have a Volvo V70 that is 5years old. It is a good car but after driving it for the last few years, I understand why Volvo and Mercedes are not in the same class. I am considering a trade on the Volvo because it is just not what I want in a long term car (to much plastic and to many squeaks), but the reality is my Volvo is 5years and 120K newer. The replacement would be the R class, however if this is not a vehicle that is designed to last 10+ years I'll keep the Volvo and replace the E320.Any opinions on the long term reliability of the R class. Currently my Benz is just a better driving car that has a lot more miles and years of service. :confuse:
  • swwalkerswwalker Member Posts: 5
    I just bought my wife a new R-Class 320 CDI about 7 days ago and it is awesome! A few comments include:
    1. Would like to have the entertainment package but $1900 seemed a bit steep. I think I will either install aftermarket or use my MacBook Pro. My kids want to know how they can play their XBOX on long trips so I have some research to do.
    2. So far we have driven almost 1,000 miles and the love the diesel mileage (21/27).
    3. The room is to die for!
    4. Seats are difficult to keep clean......any suggestions are welcome.
    5. The panoramic roof is the kids favorite along with the ability to control their own A/C
    6. The Navigation systems is extremely accurate, but the joy stick is a bit awkward. I would also like to scan channels using the steering controls.

Overall I think the car is 9 out of 10.
This discussion has been closed.