Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz R-Class Electrical Problems

Comments

• ctdanctdan Posts: 23
    How can they possibly claim that this is not under warranty?!? Tell your dealer to contact MB of Fairfield in CT and speak to John DeStefano, he was/is my svc advisor whom unfortunately I have gotten to know much better than I should have given all of the issues I've experienced over the past couple of years. If it has happened to me and you, I would bet there are others, and this is leaky sunroof/wet battery problem one of those "known issues" that they do no speak about externally.

BTW my latest issue is that there is no longer any working audio... no radio, no sound from GPS, no ipod, etc.

I am thankful that I replaced this lemon with a Volvo XC90 a few months back, which so far has been very positive. Doesn't ride as smoothly as the R Class, but at least everything works as designed. My R Class has been sitting in my driveway since there is no benefit for me to turn it in early.

Good luck and please provide an update as to how it works out.
  • clynneclynne Posts: 1
    I have a R350 2007. I never had consistant problems other then the tail and front lights going out. I truly believe this is common with these vehicle. But once my warranty expired a couple of months ago, my Check Engine light has been on 3 times and the car seems like it's not going to stay on while it's running. Each tme I take it back they find that it has nothing to do with the previous problem (even though the symptoms are the same each time). I don't recall what the first diagnosis was, but the 2nd one was code 0703 Crank Sensor found faulty, the 3rd time they found code 0629 & 0633 which is some coil issues. Guess what today I'm having the same issue and the check engine light has returned. I'll be taking it in again the 4th time tomorrow and I'm sure they will find a few new codes to charge me for. Well I'm done.......I'm looking to trade this baby in.
  • Hey ctdan, are you still looking for help with your leaking sunroof/battery problem? I have an E320 that I experienced the same issue. There are drain tubes that run through both 'pillars' of the front windshield that drain the sunroof. In my case, these tubes became constricted with decomposed leaves. The draining water backed up but continued down the pillars, on to the floor, traveled almost undetected beneath the floor mats and found the lowest spot to collect - where the battery is located under the right side rear passengers seat. This is also the location of the main fuse box on my car. This cause numerous electrical gremlins! It's a good idea to run a piece of ridgid wire (co-ax cable) down these drain lines to keep them clear! :D
  • bautistabautista Posts: 1
    I got the same problem I have the 2006 R350 and it woun't shift gear, bad thing is, it's not under warranty anymore, can a local car repair fix this? How much MB dealer charge for this services like changing the ISM motor of the control unit. This is a headache!!!
  • ctdanctdan Posts: 23
    Hmm good question. Hopefully you have a local repair guy that you can trust. I do not know what MB charged since it was covered under warranty, but I cannot imagine it would be inexpensive. Good luck.

BTW I finally turned my 2008 R350 back in when lease expired at the end of Feb. Good Riddance! I had replaced it with a 2011 Volvo XC90 which I have been driving for about 6 months & very satisfied with so far. Nothing spectacular, just solid, reliable, easy to drive, comfortable, no major drawbacks, overall a good value.
  • The best to fix it is REPLACING THE CAR!!!
    I changed it last November for a 2011 GLK350 Fantastic Ride and build like a tank, proudly made in Germany! absolutely no problem whatsoever.
    I lost money on the R350, they updated the software, and some other things but they could NEVER pinpoint the random shifting problems and shake ups.
    This adds up to alternator problems, early serpentine failure, battery failures, the panorama roof slowness, the random tailgate light problems, etc.
    And the last one before I traded in, the taildoor shocks were broken. Bill to fix those around a $1,000 that is when I decided to trade it in.

Mercedes Benz dark ages of electrical problems between 2001 until 2007, especially the ones assembled in the USA.
    Finally in 2008 they increased the quality again.
    2006 R350 first batch of R350s it is like the Gremlins built those cars. I would stay away from them.
  • ccgwccgw Posts: 2
    I agree with the previous post.

We got rid of our R350 (first year model) and we've been happy since! There were just too many electrical problems that it wasn't enjoyable car ownership with all these trips to the dealership for the annoying myriad of problems, mostly electrical.

It's a shame as most Mercs do handle well, although my grip of the R350 besides being a bit underpowered for the weight, is the dim standards headlights (I couldn't get one with the HID lights with the one I bought at the time..)

How are the GL's in terms of reliability and lack of trouble??? Test drove one and it was fine. How about the E350's??? Hadn't dared consider buying another Merc because of bad experience with our R350.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    I've had my 2011 GL450 for 3 months. I've had two significant problems so far, both electrical. The a/c intermittently quit supplying cold air, and the tailgate sometimes closes as desired but then opens, for no apparent reason. This has happened at least a half dozen times. I haven't gone to the dealer for the tailgate problem, but the a/c was fixed after several days in the shop. There have been a few other signs of electrical gremlins, too, but things that have occurred only once. My guess is that MB has not exorcised the electrical problems from these vehicles.
  • Hi There,

I'm curious, what prompted the steering column replacement? I have a 2006 R350 and I'm starting to get a clicking and thumping that I can feel under the front floorboards when I make a turn. I'm trying to pinpoint the issue before taking it to my MB dealer. I'm glad I took out an extended warranty, I'm having lots of problems (I'm happy to post the list of issues if anyone is interested) including some possible transmission issues :( I love Mercedes but these issues combined with a lack of courtesy and friendliness at the dealership are making me wonder whether I'll ever buy another benz...

Cheers,

-Grasshopper
  • My R350 cut off while driving on the hwy, was able to pull off to the side. Turned car back on and it would't go into gear, drive or reverse.
  • Hi,
    Did you ever have a problem with the r350 not shifting into gear?
  • Yesterday my 06 r350 cut off on the hwy, was able to get it to the side of the road. It turned back on, but would not go into gear, drive or reverse. Got it towed to my house, haven't took it to the dealer yet. Its not under warranty anymore, so I'm trying to see how much this is going to cost me. I've been reading alot of the same stroies, so I'm thinking its a low voltage issue, I hope.
  • My 06 R500 did exactly the same thing last week. Have you had anyone look at yours yet? What was the outcome?
    I took mine to MB dealer and they said I needed a new tranny (for $8200)! I'm getting a second opinion today.
  • Hi, I just spent 6 hours today waiting for MB roadside assistance, and finally getting my 07 R350 towed to the dealer. The battery was dead, ( I think I left the parking lights on, but had problems for a month now with malfunctioning headlights) and the mall security folks tried to jump it off, using my manual to guide them in the correct points of contact. They used the wrong point - positive to positive, and all kinds of lights and warnings went off, and car would not budge out of park. Dealer service says it may have blown one fuse, or worst case: blown one or more of the computers on board. If so, big bucks :-(> Anyone have experience with non-authorized or non-dealer battery jumps and had problems?
  • My car is at the MB, I had it towed there Tuesday, haven't heard back from them yet.I am scared to hear the outcome. Who has 8200 dollars to spend on a car to get fixed. That's just crazy. Did you get your second opinion yet, please let me know. I should hear from the dealer today and I will let you know. Do you plan on keeping your car, or should I say, do you plan on staying in the Benz family.
  • bluntblunt Posts: 2
    My car is making a sort of flapping noise, similar to a piece of paper slapping against something if a fan was blowing on it. Its like "flaflaflaflaflaflaflaflafla", and it seems to only happen when i get above 40mph?? sound familiar to anyone????
  • Well the dealer told me it was the trans, need new one. The cost they talking is 5 grand, were going to get a second opinion. Should know something in a couple of days.
  • Has anyone had any Transmission problems with there R350, took mine to the MB dealer they told me that I need a new one. 5 grand they talking, but I'm going to get a second opinion.
  • Does anyone have problems with there front window button, you can put the window down but it wont go back up. Button is broke. What do I need.
  • After a second opinion, was told that I did need a new trans (about $5K). Got the car back and running fine except the ABS and ESP indicators are still on? Took it back in today and had the speed sensor replaced. Fixed the problem. If you didn't get your tranny replaced yet, you may want to have them check the speed sensor. Sounds crazy, but I was never 100% convinced that I needed a new tranny. How do I know that the problem couldn't have been resolved by replacing the speed sensor? Why didn't the mechanic change the speed sensor first, before replacing the tranny?
    If anyone has any input, let me know.
  • bluntblunt Posts: 2
    I guess not!!! Next question, my car is making this humming sound when i start it in the morning and it keeps doing it until the car warms up. I thought it may be a 'power steering' issue because when i turn the wheel it seems as if the noise gets louder, but as i said when the car warms you dont hear it anymore. Sound familiar to anyone?
  • Needs new transmission for my r350. Question is can I get a used one.
  • Did u take it to the dealer for the new trans
  • I also have an '06 R350 and I have the very same issue when I make a turn. Did you have it diagnosed? Fixed?
    Does anyone have any knowledge or insight on this?
    THANK YOU!
  • we are in FL and the transmission failed on my wife's Rclass. We had the extended warranty by MBUSA would not cover it. Our problem was that the transmission and car was always serviced by the MB dealer. However the dealer (like many others) was not using a MB part # for the standard transmission service. Fortunately the dealer in our city back home is covering the cost of replacement of the transmission. Unfortunately there is not a transmission in the US right now until after 2/1/12. If the trans was serviced by a MB dealer check and see if MB fluid exchange was used. If not the dealer will have to eat the transmission. Our dealer in a battle with MBUSA and they have to get their money from them.
    jdb
  • your car reads allllllot of info based off of the speed it is moving. if the speed sensor is out or bad, the ecu will have bad or no info to make adjustments with, from or to. it is a key part in the cars performance and is one of the first things to check. im glad that the tech checked it for you. he saved you alot of time and money as most places would have replaced the part alllong with the tranny. bravo for him and i hope your car is still running well.
  • I have a problem with my back left tail light. When the technician checked the bulb in the parking lot he said it was not the bulb and need to make an appointment to come in. He said the brake light automatically lights up the lower bulb so I don;t get a ticket. I noticed the lead to the bulb socket is disconnected from the socket(unsoldered / cold solder joint). I held it in place with a bulb from the right side and did not work. Could there be a reset. As an electrical engineer I would love to check it out more but I am short on time. I will keep in touch with this string so I can help somebody or be helped. Depends on how much time I get to troubleshoot.
  • I have a 2007 R350. I have what I believe are electrical problems. When my car is cold the battery light flashes on and off. The heat and radio also flash on and office. My DvD player runs constantly and intermittently blows a fuse. Can anyone help. I had my car in the shop for a week and they could not get any codes on the flashing dash lights. HELP!!!
  • adkoladkol Posts: 5
    Hi, would like to get the perspective of 2008 (late year model) owners on the reliability of the R350. I have heard of electrical / cam shaft issues but from my research, it seems that is more restricted to '06 and '07. Is 2008 relatively okay?
  • gforakergforaker Posts: 14
    I just answered that question in one of the other R350 threads -
    link title