Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's in Your Garage?

odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
Ok, my wife and I are building a new house (but thats not the point) and are going to have a larger than normal 2 car garage. Now my wife says the garage is just a place to put your car. I want to add the epoxy flooring (with speckles), full automotive work bench and tool system (you need to work on you mowers and stuff too). Anyway, I'm creating this discussion to see what kind of HOMES people have for their vehicles. Pictures would be neat also, but you don't need to. Lets see how elaborate us car people keep our garage's. This way I know I'm not alone in my thinking, that a garage is more that just a place to store your stuff, and a place to keep your car. Also if there is anything special that makes your garage your own, that would be neat to hear about it.

Odie
Odie's Carspace
Tagged:

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,509
    My daily car lives in the parking garage of a low-rise apartment building. The fintail lives in a rented spot in a garage of a sprawling 60s rambler. Nothing personalized in either...in this wacked-out market, I can't afford a place with a 2 car garage, not to mention just a 1 car garage!
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,593
    it's just way too small, two not very big cars fill it right up to the point where they have to be parked just so to be able to open the doors properly.

The odd thing is my house itself is very roomy but the garage sucks. I plan to have a barn built attached to what is now the garage that's big enough to comfortably house 3 or 4 cars with a small lounge so I can smoke cigars indoors. ;)

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,850
    a couple weeks ago, and so far so good. You can kinda see it in this pic and in this pic. It went down pretty easily, but didn't come out as pretty as in the picture on the box.

I ended up building a 24x40 foot garage that's separate from the house. You can see it, in various stages of construction here. I hate to say it, but in some ways I'm already starting to regret it. If I had it to do over again, I would've gone 40x27 (the most the county would let me do) and put in a gambrel second story that would have looked kinda like this.

I'm thinking about building a carport addition to the garage, something maybe 12x40 or 15x40 or somewhere thereabouts, between the back of the garage and the woods.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,675
    yeah, where are ya gonna put that '56 Buick and that '62 Nova and that '63 Bel Air?

BTW, your garage looks pretty nice. You're gonna dig it I think. Plenty of room for classic cars. If you would've built it with the Gambrel roofline you would've had room to store car parts and bikes and kayaks and snowmobiles upstairs from the '63 Bel Air's and '62 Chevy Nova SS's, eh?

Looks like you've got plenty of room to throw tennis balls deep for the dogs to fetch, too. Ever considered opening up a car manufacturing facility there? You have?

What kind of car are we gonna build? The 52 of us forum members could all come to work with you immediately. Let's work on it.

Corvair? Triumph TR-4? Uh-huh.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    I've got an oversized 2 car garage attached to my house, so it's large enough to hold both my car (Saturn L300) as well as the wife's car (Saturn VUE) with enough room left for some of those metal shelving / work bench units on one side and at the front of the garage.

In addition, I have a small niche that is large enough to store a refrigerator, my lawn mower and snow blower.

However, my house does not have a basement, which is why I think the builder 'super sized' the garage area.

Lots of the new houses being built where I live are starting to offer "tandem" 3 car garages, which means that one side of the garage is 2 cars deep.

I've heard of houses in CA and AZ that come with 4, 5 and 6 car garages attached to the house! Of course, at the prices those homes are selling for, you'd have to have multiple people living there just to afford the mortgage!
    that this was a cool garage/loft plan. It's really just an oversized 2-car garage, but if you put a bay door in one of the side walls toward the back, you could make a 3-car garage out of it. And of course, you could always add onto either side if you needed more room!
    on my land that used to be a 1-car garage. You can barely see it out the right-side bay in this picture, up on the hill with the truck parked beside it. But, get this...it has double doors that open out onto the NEIGHBOR'S driveway, and it only sits about 5 feet off the property line over there!

At one time the property was all joined together, but got split up, probably sometime between 1924 (when the house next door was built) and 1934 (the earliest back my Grandma can remember of this area) It's not a big building, maybe 10x20 feet, and was from that era where cars had narrow passenger cabins, small doors, and running boards. You could conceivably fit a car in there, but it wouldn't be fun. My condo had a 10x20 foot garage, and it was quite a maneuver to squeeze a '57 DeSoto or '67 Catalina in there and be able to open the door without hitting anything. I had a refrigerator in it too, which really made things tricky.

Over the years the neighbor has built up her driveway, to where it's at least a foot above the entrance to this old garage, so I couldn't easily get a car in there from that side, anyway.

I'm thinking about refurbishing this old building, and busting through on the opposite end and putting in a garage door. I think the groundhogs that live in it won't be too pleased, though.

At first glance it might seem to make sense to just tear it down and build a new one, but I don't think the county would let me rebuild it where it is. They made me put my new garage at least 90 feet from the road, and I don't think even the back wall of that old garage is 90 feet back from the road! It would probably be a lot less hoops to jump through if I just fixed it up, rather than tear down and start over.
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    when you put down the epoxy, did you roll it (quick way) or brush it (P.I.T.A. way)?

Here are 3 pictures of what my garage will look like (these are of the model)

If you want to see more check out my Family Homepage here.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    I put the stuff down with a roller, which made it really quick and easy. I think the instructions called for a roller with a 1/2-inch nap. And I had a 4-foot extension pole which made it really quick and easy.

I'd say that once the floor was prepped and the paint was mixed, it only took about 20 minutes to do each section. The prep was the annoying part, though. First I had to wet down the floor, and since the concrete was still pretty young, just being poured around late March/early April, it soaked up the water like a sponge, so it took a lot of water to keep it wet. Then I had to put down this cleaning solution mixture that was this white crystally stuff that would've looked great on a marguerita glass. Scrub it in real good, rinse it off, squeegee it out. Then rinse again and squeegee it out. Then let it dry, run my fingers across it, and if any dust or anything showed up on my fingers, hose it down again, scrub it again, rinse it all out, and let it dry. And repeat until there's no dust.

Fortunately my floor cleaned up pretty quickly the first time, so I didn't have to rinse and repeat too many times. And while I had been parking cars in there before I painted, I put plastic down, and then some T-111 scraps that were leftover from construction to catch any drippings from the cars.

The most annoying part was that it took awhile for the garage floor to dry out. And also, the paint is very temperature-sensitive when you put it down. I think for maximum longevity you're only supposed to put it down when the outside temp is between 60-85 degrees, although the video tape that came with the paint said something like 60-90. And with the heat wave we'd been having, those times were few and far between. And to top it all off, my back went out on me and my roommate, who was going to help me paint the floor, went into the hospital with kidney failure! I tease him and tell him that the only reason he did that was to get out of helping me paint! :sick:
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,675
    that floor plan of the 900+ foot garage on the bottom house is actually pretty nice use of available land square footage. I can see a lot of places where that plan would be great. You get 2 bedrooms out of it that are of decent size, kitchen, dining room and a decent, compact living room. I like the "country" look of it. The thing is, if a person built from the ground up a new design like that they would still have a lot of their land still available to throw a tennis ball to their dog, etc.

Nice plan! And, of course, downstairs on entry you'd have plenty of room for the two rigs or one rig and a snowmobile or ride-em mower, etc. It's got me feeling like building something!

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    Two things to consider:

First, if at ALL possible, see if that center support column can be eliminated. I know that it's in there to support the 2nd story room overhead, but that column is the cheap/easy way out for the builder. There's other ways to support the load. It could be replaced by using a deeper truss overhead (or using a steel truss).

Second, as andre pointed out, he wished for a wider garage than 24'. Since you're going with double doors, if at all possible consider a wider garage with the doors spaced further apart (obviously constrained by the width of your lot). That way with two cars in the garage, you've still got ample room BETWEEN the cars as well as between the cars and the sides of the garage.

I like the workshop/storage niche on the right side of the garage.
    unfortinatly per building code in the township where these houses are being build, they are required to have the center support in the garage. Believe, me if it was able to be removed, it would be gone. as for size, we got the 2ft expansion on the garage, and added a side door and 3 windows (one on rear wall, and one evenly spaced on each side of side access door. The pictures are only of the model and did not have the 2ft expansion. As for size, my '06 Pilot EX fits nicely inside. I tried it on the model, you can even see the tire marks on the stone. :shades:

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    here is a link to the what we would possibly be looking at for in the work area part.
    Garage Items

I'm still not sure which to get, the Maximum or the O'Sul systems and then add pieces to it.

The nice thing is I talked to the local warehouse manager, and I can have it sent to the local store and picked up, that way I don't need to pay the outragious S/H. :D

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,079
    A couple of nice things to have in a garage:
    Drain in the floor (can't add it later)
    Full insulation, including doors
    30-amp, 240-volt wiring for the future addition of a mini-split HVAC system--these things cost about $1000 plus labor and have a small outside heat pump/AC unit, and would give you a heated and cooled garage.

The "nook" in the back is nice, but if you're storing a lawn mower there, you'll have to move a car to get it out.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    'diamond plate' crown molding for your garage. you gotta love it!
    one of best things i did was to get 8 1/2 foot wide garage doors. wanted 9 foot but i had somewhat of a budget to stick to. i could drive my expedition in without folding in a mirror.
    also, some extra electrical outlets. it's easier and cheaper before the garage is built. you'll need one the 'fridge. ;)
    my garage is connected to the central vac, too.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,509

Here's how the fintail sleeps (always under a cover). Not exactly an impressive garage, but it's dry and that's all I care about. The C43's living quarters are too dark and boring to photograph.
    there will be a large service door on the side of house for side entry into the garage / service area. I was told it is large enough to take a riding mower through. As for the plugs, it will already be wired with 6 standard outlets, cable, and phone. The house has an extra 240 outside for addition of hottub or swimming pool filter system. I will more than likely be adding a small ceiling fan in the service area in the garage, plus the 2 door openers. I will buy the door openers on my own, the builder wants 2 arms and a leg for their openers, but is pre-wired for Homelink openers. I am also going to have a exhaust port added onto the side door for tailpipe exhaust.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    I would have thought we would have gotten a few more pics from some of the die-hard car enthusiasts. As my house is being build and my garage takes shape, I will post some stuff. I did see a guy have a inflatable dome garage for his DeLorean when I was down in Knoxville for the Gators / Vols game. I just wish I had my camera.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    I'd post mine, but my garage is embarrassingly untidy... maybe a little Photoshop work would help clean it up.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    You can pretty much see what I've got between the goon squad photos on my Carspace page. I'm thinking of shuffling things around a bit: put one of those steel-frame awnings in front of the carport for the GMC, then throw down a layer of gravel beside the carport and park the Honda and Nissan in there sideways- one of the benefits of owning subcompacts :)