Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's in Your Garage?

Comments

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,116
    Get/build a house and detached garage with some design integrity.

I see a handful of older homes with attached garages that have the garage door in the rear and windows in the front and side. I like those.

Most of the McMansions that Andre posted looked like they had a single garage door for the "2-car" garage. All of the "2-car" garages I've seen like that would technically hold two cars but were uncomfortably tight to the point of making it hard to get in and out of the cars.
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    that looks like a good neighborhood for some serious Trick-R-Treating, I would say 45 min tops = whole neighborhood.
    Speaking of the T-R-T, I'm glad we will have the side door and 2 front bay doors, this way I can make a decent haunted pass through for the T-R-T's that will visit. I'm a major Halloween buff, you know Hi-Fi with speakers out front / back of house (can hear through-out the neighborhood), smoke machine, the works. But I also feel kids should not be jipped either. They get full sized candy bars at our house, plus there choice of soda / juice box (T-R-Ting is hard and hot work). Too bad I need to wait until next halloween for the garage, but I still have fun in our current location. Of coarse living near Hershey, Everyone gives out Full sized candy bars.

Talking about halloween, I wonder if anyone does up their car to look like something out of the Munsters or Addams Family...lol. :shades:

Odie
    Odie's Garage
    Ok, I looked on both versions of the garage floor expoy that they sell at a local hardware (not saying name) store and did not see anywhere on the box what temp it should be before applying. I figured I will need to keep the doors open while putting down because of fumes. The 2 types were Rust-Oleum Epoxy and Quikrete Epoxy both require mixing part A with part B and then rolling in 4'x4' sections (making it easier to place the flakes down). I just wish I knew what the outside temp should be before putting down. We want to put down while the painters are doing the house and before we move anything in. The Rust-Oleum one reads that it is walkable in 12 - 16 hours, driveable in 24-36 hours, & to be fully cured (recommended to be at its' strongest) to give 7 days. I know the week sounds long, but we will have other entrances into the house.

Odie
    Odie's Carsapce
  • "I just wish I knew what the outside temp should be before putting down"

I checked in to this a couple years ago when I was shopping around. According to the info I got from Rust-Oleum back then was that outside temp needed to be between 60-90 degrees, and relative humidity below 80%. It also said it is best if the day previous to application had also been at least 60 degrees. The info went on to say min floor temperature needs to be 55 degrees, and that painting in mid afternoon was best.

By the way, all of this came from the rustoleum.com website, and if you dig around, there are .pdf instructions that you can print off.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,971
    Odie, from what I remember, the stuff I bought didn't have temperature recommendations on the outside of the box. But once you buy it, there's a pamphlet that gives detailed instructions in like 2 or 3 different languages, and it gives a breakdown of how much time you have for a given temperature. Basically, the hotter it is, the less time you have to let the mixture cure, but at the same time the less time you have to put it down.

The stuff I bought also came with a videotape that's pretty straighforward. I had to take it to my grandmother's house to watch it though, as I haven't had a functional VCR in my house in ages now, thanks to Tivo and the DVD players.
    I wonder if I write to the company (e-mail) and see if they will send me a dvd because I am thinking about using their product. But I will need to write to each company and maybe even end up getting a coupon for their product.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    I got a reply from both companies about the floor Epoxy. Both sent me a $25.00 off coupon for there product (limit 4 per coupon). Since I will need 3 sets, this will save me $75.00. Unfortinately neither sent me a DVD / VHS to pre-view, but Rust-Oleum did send me a copy of their instructions.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    looks like I have some critters that have taken up residence in my garage. I first noticed that something wasn't right the Monday before Thanksgiving. I had that day off from work, and drove my '76 LeMans around the neighborhood and then down to the liquor store. When I went to open the trunk to put the beer in it, I noticed what looked like tiny little critter tracks on the plastic valance panel between the chrome bumper and the body of the car, with a scattering of what appeared to be, at a quick glance, chocolate sprinkles! So it looks like I have mice!

Yesterday I went down to the garage to move the LeMans so I could get to my convertible, and when I dropped the LeMans into reverse, I heard something drop out of the undercarriage of the car and plop down onto the concrete. In the rear view mirror I caught a glimpse of a very fat mouse trying to scurry across the floor. More like waddling, it was so fat. Heck, it would probably make a nice Thanksgiving dinner for a family of four in some parts of the world! With my luck, the danged thing is probably preggers!

So, does anybody have any advice for eradicating mice from a garage? I could always put some traps around to get them, but is there anything you can sprinkle around that would scare them off? I've heard that some critters are sensitive to cayenne pepper and it keeps them away...is there anything you can put down for mice?
    when I had mice in my A/C unit out behind my house, I found that a shop vac did wonders in relocating the little friends, just suck them up and launch them away at the same time. Check with Tractor Supply or a local Farm Machinery Company (if you have one). Either that or get an outside Cat to live around your garage.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • stmssstmss Posts: 206
    My brother, a mechanic and Mopar nut, uses open boxes of moth balls. He has a classic cuda - puts them in the trunk, a couple of balls up each exhaust pipe, in the engine bay and a few in trays in the interior when he lays it up for winter. Also others throughout his garage.

He says they work. I have never tried them. Says they keep the squirrels away too. Worth a try.
    but I heard that you need to use them in moderation. I heard one extreme story where someone put them up in the attic of their townhouse to keep out the squirrels, but went way overboard, and as soon as the hot weather came, a Hazmat team had to be called out to clean it up!

On Tuesday I went out to the garage to fire up my '79 New Yorker to drive, because my pickup had to go in the body shop to get its rear bumper fixed (second rear-ender in about 2 months).

Well, as soon as I put the car into reverse and started backing out, a mouse jumped out from under the hood, and tried to climb up the windshield! It would hop up, and kept sliding back down, and stayed on the car until I backed out, and then it hopped off and ran into the woods.

That whole day though, while driving that car, I swear I kept hearing critter noises. Now it could just be the car. After all, it's a Chrysler from the disco era, so squeaks and rattles were standard equipment, but for a moment I smelled something dead/rotten coming from the heater vents, and then for a bit the heater started blowing cold, like either a vent or vent door got blocked, or perhaps something was being chewed through. I was getting a bit paranoid, and started feeling like Willard or something! :surprise:

I parked the NYer outside of the garage on Tuesday night, and last night put it back in, and set a trap. I've been seeing fresh droppings on the valance panel of my LeMans, that part that runs between the bumper and the body of the car, so I just set it there. I didn't go out in the garage this morning, since I have my truck back, but I'll check it tonite.
  • 1racefan1racefan Posts: 932
    Remember - caulk is your friend.

I would go inch by inch around that garage looking for any possible opening that a mouse could squeeze through, and fill it with either caulk, or that expandable foam in a can - even up in the attic portion of the garage if it has one. However, I guess they could also be squeezing in around the garage door itself - in which case you could see if the door has any adjuability built in to it, or call the installer to see if they can do anything to hel lessen any gaps.
    I think I have an idea where they're coming through. There's a spot in the Southeast corner of the garage that has a little gap in it. During the summer when I had lizards, they'd always run for that spot whenever I'd enter the garage. And a couple weeks ago, when I started to back my LeMans out, and I heard a mouse jump off of it, it ran for that same spot.

The garage doors actually seal up pretty tight. I was impressed. The garage at my old condo had about two inches of play in it at some points.

Too bad I couldn't just get some snakes and let 'em loose in there! But it's cold enough now that the snakes would either hibernate or die.
  • 1racefan1racefan Posts: 932
    "Too bad I couldn't just get some snakes and let 'em loose in there! But it's cold enough now that the snakes would either hibernate or die"

Or just get a "garage cat" (de clawed of course for when it jumps up on your cars).
  • stmssstmss Posts: 206
    I don't have mice in my garage - but I do have a 62 Jaguar - maybe that cat is the trick ;)
    yesterday, and finally caught something. But I don't know what it was. It was small and furry, but didn't look quite like a mouse. It was dark grayish brown and had short little legs and a really short, furry tail. It also had a really tiny head and a plump body. It was kind of a cute little thing, cuter than the mice I get at the pet store to feed my snakes.

It had a softer looking fur than what mice usually have, too. More like the velour you might find in an '80's LeSabre Limited, rather than a base Monte Carlo. :P

So, any idea on what this little sucker was? Maybe just a different breed of mouse from what I'm used to seeing?

Edit: I did some digging around, and I think I identified it. I think it's a vole. Cute little sucker, and I almost feel kinda bad, but I've heard they can also be destructive little things. I'm surprised it could jump high enough to get up into a car...it didn't look like the little legs were built for jumping.
    Voles are really nasty. I have seen them eat through tires and make nests inside cars that have been parked for a good bit.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    Voles are really nasty. I have seen them eat through tires and make nests inside cars that have been parked for a good bit.

Okay, now I don't feel so bad about snuffing the little sucker. :shades: Now that I think about it, about 10 years ago I caught one of these things in the garage under my grandmother's house. This was soon after my divorce, when I had to move in with her. I had the snake in that garage, unknown to my grandmother. I forget how I caught the thing, but I threw it in with the snake, thinking it was just a weird mouse, to see if it would eat it. Hey, I figured it would save me a trip to the store. Well, that thing stayed in one corner and the snake stayed in another, and wouldn't go anywhere near it. After awhile, I just gave up and let the danged thing go. I wonder if the vole would have been aggressive enough to kill the snake?
    I have black racers that live out behind our house along the stream, and they won't even mess with them. Make sure if you get a live one, watch out for the teeth, they are very sharp (I know from experience).

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    oh cool, you have a stream behind your place, too?

Yeah, I learned a long time ago to watch out for the mice. I've been bitten a few times by the mice, and a few times by one of my snakes. The mice, cute as they are, pack a much meaner bite! They really sink their teeth in, whereas with the snake I guess there's just that primal fear. When they strike, I probably hurt myself more trying to pull my hand away (hitting the side of the cage, elbowing a wall, etc) then the actual bite!

On the garage front, I've reset the trap, but I haven't caught anything else. Maybe it was just the one vole? I thought it was an odd coincidence though, that on two separate occasions, I started up two different cars, and it just happened to be in THAT car! Somehow, I think there are more than just one.
    Yeah, the townhouse we are in right now has a small creek behind it. The best part about the creek is it's name. All the streams, creeks, rivers and what not through-out PA seem to have names and what makes it even funnier is there is a legitimate road sign down at the road where the creek goes under with the name on it. The name of the creek is "Snits Creek" (yes that is a "N"). well right after we moved here, I went out and bought an old wooden oar and snapped it in 2 and tied it to the sign. I guess you can say it was a reference to "The person who went up Snits Creek without their paddle." :shades: The township didn't find it funny and removed it after about a week, but the sign is still there. It's gonna be sad to move to the new house, but yet exciting too.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace

PS - I will go out tomorrow and snap a picture of the sign to put on my carspace.
    Sorry, didn't get around to taking the picture of the sign yet, but boy howdy is my new garage coming along great (and the house attached to it too). If you go onto My Carspace (link below) you can go to my Family Homepage and check out the build progress.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    yay... I now have concrete in the garage. I will have to do a before and after picture of the floor when I'm going to seal it with the Epoxy.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    congrats on the floor epoxy! I still have about 1/4th of my garage floor to do. I probably should have done it all at once, but I didn't want my convertible to have to sit outside for 7-8 days for the stuff to seal, so I figured I'd just come back to that spot! I'll probably do it in the spring when it warms up a bit.

Oh, as for the critters in my garage, so far I've caught one vole and three mice.
    just remember mice are like rabbits... where there's one, there's probably three (hundred).

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,989
    LOL......That is true Odie ;)

Rocky
    here are 2 pictures of the new garage.
    Taken Jan 7th.

Taken Jan 11th.

After we get into the house and the temp is right I will be doing the epoxy on the floor. I will do a before and after picture of the project.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    How do you get those pictures to post, Odie??? I can't seem to do it......
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,871
    When you put pics into an album on your CarSpace page and then go to that image, there's a box that's labeled Embed Image. You just copy what's in that box and paste it into your post here and the image will be displayed!

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

yeah, what PF said. :shades:

Odie
    Odie's Carspace