Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid Navigation System Questions

Comments

• alp8alp8 Member Posts: 656
    I've heard that all the nav systems suffer from that, especially if you are outside metropolitan areas

I wonder how long until the nav maps are overlaid with crime maps, so you can avoid crime-ridden neighborhoods
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Yes, easy to switch between bands. :)
  • mharris813mharris813 Member Posts: 20
    I am SO in love with the NAV system, that I would be tempted to give up my sunroof, and maybe.... leather seats, JUST to get this feature. Besides the NAV, the trip computer and messages/info for the Stereo is addicting! My hubby loves "hacking" the override, and playing with the NAV while I drive... which is fine, as long as I get to drive it! I find excuses to take MY CAR!!!!!

m ;)
  • kc_rustykc_rusty Member Posts: 32
    I found a way to hack the nav system while moving and it works great. It was posted on another board for the hylander but it works on the TCH as well. It may have been even poster some where here but it really works. Takes 7 seconds and when done you have complete control of your nav plus the phone works like it does when stopped.
    select MENU, then select the VOLUME icon, press the upper left of the screen, then the lower left of the screen (its empty), then the upper left and then the lower left. You will see a screen with about 8 selectable bars select the OVERRIDE bar and press for at least 5 sec. It will turn dark blue when you release it, if it doesn't - press it longer. press the return icon till your back at the main system. All works until you turn odd the car. Having the phone active is great... :) OF course this should only be done by the passenger :shades:
  • pacific85pacific85 Member Posts: 2
    I tried the menu / volume / icon / blank / icon / blank hack on my 4 day old Camry, but it doesn't seem to work for me. My DVD is version 06.01, and I've read that in addition to maps, there is software on this disk. Could anyone else with a 06.01 DVD please confirm that the hack works?

To check the version of your DVD, go to the eject menu and select the version button. At least I think that's how I got the rev level.

Thanks to all who can help.

RT
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    I tried the menu / volume / icon / blank / icon / blank

Are you then pressing the "override" bar, making it turn blue, then holding it till it beeps?
  • pacific85pacific85 Member Posts: 2
    hi jbolt, there's no "override" bar to press. The display does not change at all after all of screen punches.

Also, to get the version of the DVD on my system. I hit the MENU button. There's a DVD button on the screen that displays the rev of the map DVD.
    select MENU, then select the VOLUME icon, press the upper left of the screen, then the lower left of the screen (its empty), then the upper left and then the lower left. You will see a screen with about 8 selectable bars select the OVERRIDE bar and press for at least 5 sec. It will turn dark blue when you release it, if it doesn't - press it longer. press the return icon till your back at the main system. All works until you turn off the car.
  • scottdrammscottdramm Member Posts: 6
    I'm another owner who does not get the screen that has the override menu. After the Menu -> Volume -> Upperleft -> Lowerleft -> Upperleft -> Lowerleft, nothing happens whatsoever. It continues to stay on the volume screen. I have tried it about 20 times and even more with different numbers of screen presses in those locations. I have not had time to check my DVD version though.
    I have not had time to check my DVD version though

It would be extremely helpful to all of us to know the DVD version.
    Mine is also 06.1, but I don't think that's helpful at all without knowing the version numbers of the owners who can do the override.
    :P
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    The reason they asked is the rest of us have version 5.1. There are ont wo versions out and you are one of the few with the new version. Yes we can do the over ride but it is an extremely outdated version the rest of us have
    Ok. I didn't remember seeing any other people mention version numbers when I went through this thread, but I didn't go through it thoroughly.

Do Toyota owners get the 1 free Nav update like Lexus owners do?

I'm sure someone will post the override instructions for 6.1 eventually.
    Do Toyota owners get the 1 free Nav update like Lexus owners do?

I'm sure someone will post the override instructions for 6.1 eventually.

Not that I'm aware of. You're getting questions because you're just the second person posted with the update. We have not heard that this was forthcoming and expected it to be a 200+ upgrade for most of us.

I did see one person negotiated an upgrade with their deal but unless Toyota considers this a recall issue I'm guessing the rest will pay.

I believe before I'd pay 200+ for a DVD I'd buy a TomTom to use and use it parallel with my consumption and Energy screens since I seldom use the Nav anyway.
    I have v 5.1, and can do the override. It actually gets you into a "service" screen, so i would venture to say that there will be a way to override it, we just need to find out how...anyone with dealer connections?

kdhspyder? are you out there?
    kdhspyder? are you out there?
    Yeah Bob, I think you should (with your connections) figure out how to get us the NAV upgrade DVD (for free). Perhaps as a promotional item for Toyota to honor us who have faithfully pushed forward the good news about the TCH!
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    LOL- it won't happen!!

NAV upgrades cost $150-$200. Wait a couple years before each time you upgrade and the cost isn't so bad. NAV has absolutely nothing to do with TCH.

MidCow
    But do you happen to know the new override technique that works with 6.1? :)
  • spiff72spiff72 Member Posts: 179
    I am hoping kdhspyder can pull some strings, too...

I am the person that supposedly worked out the deal with my dealer to try to get the update. I want to do it, but the lack of the service menu might be a dealbreaker to me. It affects so many functions like phone and audio functions and I don't want to lose this. It does add a major highway to the map database, though, and this makes routing work much better.

I wonder if I got the new one, could I just put that DVD in when I know that I will be heading toward that Grand Rapids area. I can use the old one when I don't plan on going that way...

HELP, kdhspyder!
    I know that on a Lexus GS 2001+ with trunk DVD nav computer, once you go to a higher version, it updates the firmware on the system and you can't use the old NAV DVD's anymore. I would think it's similar with the Camry.
  • mambokinbmambokinb Member Posts: 2
    I'm also a new TCH driver who isn't happy that there is no way around the Navigation (and MP3 Stereo folder usage, and bluetooth phone) restrictions when the car in in motion. I usually have my wife in the car to use the Nav and pick out music, so usage of these system features while the car is moving is a key requirement (Note - you can't get into the folders view of the stereo when the car is moving... a key requirement if you encode your Music CD's in MP3 format - resulting in many music CD's fitting on one MP3 CD). I see that "scottdramm" (see above post) may have some Toyota connections to determine how to disable the lockout features of the Nav / Stereo when using V6.1 of the DVD.

Second: Does anyone know where I can get an older V5.1 DVD in the meantime (since this has a way around this issue)? Is it possible to put this older V5.1 DVD in my Nav system (that is now using V6.1)? Per the post above by spiff72, can I go back to V5.1? Is it possible to copy these DVD's on a computer? I would certainly prefer a work-around for the current V6.1... but would be willing to try out V5.1. Please advise.. thanks!
    So far as I know, once flashed, you cannot go backwards, say from 6.1 to 5.1 :( Scott may know better....
    No, I don't have any connections whatsoever. I just happen to have a friend who has a 2001 GS430 with DVD-based NAV, and when he played around with newer DVD's, he wasn't able to use the old discs anymore.

I haven't tried with the 2007 Camry, but it shouldn't be hard to try someone's 5.1 disc into a system running 6.1 to see what happens.

I just joined this thread to find a way to override my 6.1 based NAV system.
  • navguynavguy Member Posts: 61
    Press the voice trigger on the steering wheel and say, "HELP" for all of the voice commands the system recognizies.

I understand that Climate Control is not a feature that is included in the Camry. It is something found on the new Land Cruiser and Prius.
    The hidden enginner screen is no longer accessible.
    The DVD map updates are available annually. According to Toyota the next update (V6.1) will be available in late November or December.
    According to Toyota the next update (V6.1) will be available in late November or December.

They must not realize they started issuing that version last month on the TCH's.
  • paulv82003paulv82003 Member Posts: 6
    There is a very simple way to make a "back up" copy of your Navigation DVD. Use Google search for DVD Decrypter, install it, open, select mode and then ISO read mode. It will copy whole DVD to you hard drive (dual layer DVD about 7.5 gig). Burn it to another dual layer dvd. I have done my 5.1 and it works fine. If any of you with version 6.1 are interested in 5.1 will gladly do copy exchange. ;) Let me know.
    There is a very simple way to make a "back up" copy of your Navigation DVD. Use Google search for DVD Decrypter, install it, open, select mode and then ISO read mode. It will copy whole DVD to you hard drive (dual layer DVD about 7.5 gig). Burn it to another dual layer dvd. I have done my 5.1 and it works fine. If any of you with version 6.1 are interested in 5.1 will gladly do copy exchange. Let me know.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    paulv82003,

Very nice offer to make. And based on the questions and comments I am sure you will have a lot of takers. Does anyone ,know if the safety feature, i.e . entering a destination while the car is moving, can still be disabled as a setup option?

GPS all the way,

MidCow
  • springsoakspringsoak Member Posts: 2
    OK - if I have 5 MyPlaces saved as Quick Access locations and 5 locations saved as named, non-Quick Access locations, I can do the voice command, "Quick Access 4" to have the system determine the route to location #4. However, I've not been able to find the secret command that will allow me to say the name of a saved location that has a name associated with it (Quick Access-designated or not) to generate a route - I've tried "Set Destination " (the command listed in the voice mode Help screen), "Address ," "destination ," and "Go ," all with no success.

In addition to having success with the "Quick Access " command, I can also say "Home" to have the nav system compute the route to my home address. However, since the TCH's nav system can store up to 106 places, it just seems unrealistic to have to scroll down the list of MyPlaces to find the Quick Access number associated with a saved location in order to use a voice command to have a route generated to it.

Hopefully there's a simple command that I've not found in the system's Help screen or in the manual that will solve this problem. Ur help, of course, is appreciated.
    Does anyone know if they use the same data DVDs? v5.1 and v6.1. Better question..if someone owned both a Prius and a TCH, and the Prius had the newer v6.1 DVD, would it work in the TCH?
  • studio69studio69 Member Posts: 7
    Until now the navigational system has not been available for the TCH in Canada. I have had my TCH 2 months now. I have just had the factory Navigation system installed by Nanaimo Toyota. For any one wanting to attempt this themselves, this is not an easy install, even for the dealer. There are sensors, many connections and of course programming. The service manager and technician spent a considerable amount of time on this vehicle. So much so that myself and my wife got an unexpected holiday in Nanaimo being that this dealer is a ferry boat ride away from where I live. I was given a Highlander to drive as I was there overnight.
    For all the people that have had a bad experience at a dealership, the people at Nanaimo Toyota can turn a sometimes unpleasant experience into a holiday. They worked diligently to get the job done to perfection and treated us with the utmost respect. At one point the Salesman, Manager, Service Manager and Technician were all involved in helping us. For anyone in BC thinking of getting the factory Nav. system installed, or buying a Toyota, especially the TCH as they have one on their lot now: NANAIMO TOYOTA is the place to go, especially if you miss what real service used to be like.
    Nanaimo is also a beautiful city to visit.
    The Toyota Nav. maps are not as good as my Magellan for Canada, but the maps can be updated, as I have version 5.1, and there is a new version coming out. The features on this unit are far superior to anything that I have seen before. The manual for this was downloaded by the service manager and printed out for me, and fills a 2" binder.
    Great to hear! Thanks for the report. Do you now have the energy screens (bar graph of incremental fuel usage, and screen showing the graphic display of the system and it's power flow) that the US NAV equiped TCHs have? If so, I assume it displays the info in litres/100km??
    "If so, I assume it displays the info in litres/100km??"

You can do that on yours as well. All the instrumentation is switchable between Miles and Kilometers. :shades:
  • studio69studio69 Member Posts: 7
    All of that information is on the small display on the dash. Although I have not had the time to check the manual. I believe it does not display this information. I like the little display and would not want to have this information displayed on the big screen as it would distract me more than it already does . As there is a split navigation screen. Audio screen. Compass screen, Memo calender screen, Maintenance memo screen, Telephone screen, Settings screen and Info screen.
    Some of which are operated by voice commands. The Navigation part can be set for Kilometers. I was quite surprised how many POI's there were even in areas that was not completely mapped. For anyone thats interested you can access system errors and checks by holding the info button while turning on the park lights 3 times. On this screen you can check operation of every button including the steering wheel controls and the touch screen. there are sensor checks and other things I have not had the time to check. To get out of screen you must turn the vehicle off and back on.
  • bremner19bremner19 Member Posts: 6
    Hello I have the updated version 6.1 on my toyota camry xle. I made an order for my car on August 1, 2006 and recieved it September 28, 2006
  • dawningskydawningsky Member Posts: 1
    is there any special care i need to take to make the copy? like what kind of media? what software to use? is the use of DVD Decrypter critical to the success?

i made a back-up copy of the 06.1 nav dvd coming with 2007 prius and it doesn't work on the same system. the nav system reports "error read dvd". although the dvd seems ok on computers. i used a Verbatin DVD+R DL.

BTW, what is the TCH nav dvd code? my prius dvd is U31, while my highlander hybrid dvd is W41.
    Unfortunetly, the other 'Memory Points' have to be accessed from the touch-screen. No other provisions exist for accessing those addresses via voice recognition.

The only other way would be to enter the address via the voice recognition feature. Press the 'Talk' switch on the steering wheel and reply to the commands. First the state, city, street name and numerical address. Be sure to eliminate any external noise inside the cabin.
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    In my 2007 TCH purchased in 9/06 (prod. date 8/06) the DVD is version 06.1 and is U31 ... what an awesome vehicle just got 43.5MPG and is the best vehicle I have ever owned out of all the 10 Toyotas I owned new in the past 16+ years...
    Also I own a loaded 2006 Sienna that has DVD map version 05.1 and is U30 ... what an awesome vehicle as well ;)
    You should use DVDdecrypter in ISO mode. I do not believe that you can simply use Nero to copy it. Also it is a dual layer DVD so you need a blank 9 gig DVD. It is only a couple of bucks. I have personally backed mine 5.1 U31 and use it in my Camry SE. Here is the instructions again: Select mode and then ISO read mode. It will copy whole DVD to you hard drive (dual layer DVD about 7.5 gig). Burn it to another dual layer dvd. I have done my 5.1 and it works fine. If any of you with version 6.1 are interested in 5.1 will gladly do copy exchange. Let me know. My eMail is lister on my profile.
  • jrslacyjrslacy Member Posts: 1
    I am just wondering if anyone has figured out the hack for version 06.01 yet. I am expecting my new car any day, and I imagine that it will come with 06.01.

I can't wait to get my car, but I think I will be some what disappointed with the nav system, if I don't find the hack.

If someone can please send me in the rite direction I would really appreciate it.
  • pabugeaterpabugeater Member Posts: 17
    To make a backup of my 6.1 Nav DVD that came with my Camry hyrid - on a Macintosh - you can use one of several methods. You do not need DVD decrypting software. You will need a new DVD+R DL (dual layer) disk.

1) If you have Toast (from Roxio) just select CD/DVD Copy from the Toolbar.

2) Else, just use Apple's Disk Utility. Basically you insert the Nav DVD and make a CD/DVD Master image on disk. Then you simply Brun that disk image to the fresh DVD. For detailed instructions run Help Viewer and type "copy a dvd" in the search window.

Now, does anyone have a hack to re-enable all those nice functions that are disabled once the car is in motion?

Thanks,

Steve
    Has anyone checked the maintenace / system error screen for the nav system motion override fuctions?
    I have discovered a way to defeat the NavSys motion interlock, but I need the 5.1 LOADING.KWI file. I have the 6.1 LOADING.KWI file, which I want to replace. Here are the part numbers:

5.1 DVD part number: 464210-0629
    6.1 DVD part number: 464210-0791

If someone would be so kind as to encode that 5.1 file (Windows, Linux, Unix, Mac OS X) in any format and send it to me I can perform the test .. many thanks,

Steve
    Let me clarify:

The 6.1 nav DVD is nicer than the 5.1 in some respects - better map data and coverage, for instance, but one looses the nav hack. But making a hybrid nav DVD - replacing the 6.1 LOADING.KWI file with said file from the 5.1 DVD - one has the best of both worlds.

The 5.1 LOADING.KWI file is ~= 50 MB, so it would have be put on a web page. I am on the constant lookout for an OEM 5.1 nav DVD, but they're impossible to find, even on Ebay.

I know the exact size and checksum of the file so I'll be able to verify its authenticity.

Thanks,
  • berg32berg32 Member Posts: 56
    Has anyone installed a back-up camera in an '07 Camry with Nav, like the one in a Prius?
  • lungdoc63lungdoc63 Member Posts: 55
    Where are you located? If in Seattle/Tacoma area, I'd think about loaning my 5.1 DVD. With my work schedule, it'll take me forever to go to store and get a program to make copy of DVD to send you.
    Philadelphia ... thanks anyway. But no other program should be needed, Linux and Mac OS X can do it natively .. don't know about Windows, though ...

Steve