Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon Rattles and Noises

Comments

• abfischabfisch Posts: 591
    Unless snow traction was a big problem with the Lexus, you should have asked us first. The old Lexus quality, is much better. Never going to get that kind of quality for the new Avalon built in the states. Just not going to happen at any trim level.

abfisch
  • We've all read about the rattle caused by the dreaded sun/moon roof in cold wx.. I've got one, but temps in Louisiana don't dip to extremes often, so I can live with the occasional 5 minutes of rattle now and then.. however, today my car is parked in a grocery store parking lot. It's raining cats and dogs, I mean a downpour with 40 mph winds..in the course of getting in the car, I of course brought some rain with me. Grab a towel, start wiping everything off only to realize that I have water coming in my car thru both stereo speakers located on the A pillars.. I mean water is running out of the speakers, onto the dash and into a/c vents on both sides of the car..took it to the dealership immediately only to find that the drains, which are connected to the "moon / sun" roof were never hooked up at the factory. I was so mad I talked to a salesman about trading in my car for an XL without a sun roof. They must have thought I was nuts. They offered my a trade in of 26K for an 07 XLS with 5500 miles on it..after paying off my car and adding some of the extras on the XL that it dosnt normally come with, they told me i would finance around 33K. No thanks, hell that's nearly 5 grand more than I financed on my current car. Oh, not only that, as I'm leaving the dealership in my car, I notice a big "ding" in the drivers side door.. it wasnt there when I took the car in..fortunetly for me, the serv. dept. manager was honest enough to admit that the blue paint in the ding, happens to be the same blue paint on their lifts, so it obviously happened while in their shop. So now I have to drop it off next week, get a rental while they outsource it to some body shop to fix the ding and paint. what a day... all because of the dreaded Moonroof/sunroof. At least the dealership is being standup and fixing the problem instead of denying they did it..

Roland
  • gpciiigpciii Posts: 13
    Toyota has lost it fast since 05 and the new body style of Avalon. Unbelievable. Factory and dealer quality and capability have slipped to the 1980s US level nearly. My 07 Avalon sunroof rattle was fixed so far by replacing the track and all. Outsourced of course to a trim shop who broke wiring the radio antenna in the rear window so the radio didn't work when we picked the car up. Kept the loaner while they ordered a new wiring harness from Toyota, returned the car to the trim shop, trim shop dropped the head liner again and replaces the wiring and all. I'm holding my breath on the sunroof holding water back since the replacement of items in it!
  • abfischabfisch Posts: 591
    That would definitely make me angry. When they have to outsource their own warranty work to another shop, you know that something is very wrong with the whole thing. From the get go. Then the warranty becomes worthless, and the extended warranty becomes less than worthless.

abfisch
  • I’m glad I found this blog. I just purchased a 06 Avalon XLS with low mileage. When I went for a test drive all was fine. Now the New England weather has changed and temps are around freezing. Got this annoying rattle that seems to be coming from the passenger side dash near the door. When the car heats up it goes away. Strange! Next cold morning I’ll push up on the sunroof and see if it will stop. Talk about counterintuitive. Considering what I paid for this car, it’s disappointing. I’ll be back to the dealer for a repair. I’ll let the group know how it goes.
    Larry
  • dan41dan41 Posts: 180
    As you can see from my previous post, this "intermittent cold weather rattle" problem frustrated me, Toyota and the dealership for over two years. Finally, the problem was fixed last month. Long story, but the net is the noise was coming from a metal flex issue in the moonroof and it was addressed by removing the deadline and moonroof assembly and adding some kind of special sound proof material. This was also done last year, but it did not help. Obviously, this doesn't "fix" the flex issue, but as long as I don't hear it, I'm OK. Now, after two years, I have a rattle free Avalon.

Good luck! Dan
  • lsilsi Posts: 2
    I have a 05 Limited & there is a clacking noise upon backing up or turning sometime (Sounds like bad cv joints)
    Took it to dealer & of course it didn't do it. Anyone have this problem? Help anyone!
    There was a TSB out for problems with the steering column related to noise and, I think, vibration. Although, I couldn't notice any issues with noise from my steering column, my steering column on my Limited was replaced last winter.
  • nc_acenc_ace Posts: 1
    I have the same problem (clacking noise in rear)when backing up and I also noticed it in front when turning right. The front noise is new but the rear noise has been there for a while. I need to take it to the dealer in the next two weeks for routine service and inspection and will let you know what I find out.
  • swa2swa2 Posts: 1
    Toyota dealer gave me two new front mounts. One was 48603-33021 recommended replacement for '98 OEM and the other was 48609-07010 a strut mount from a '95-96 Lexus ES300. The kid was lookign for the second mount and now I know why. He sis not tell me they where for different cars. Did not realize it until I had the assmbles down that they were different. I lived with the larger lexus support but needed to open the top strut area about 1/8" more at the top to accept the larger lexus supprt. I was not going to go back to toyota and wait a week to get the right part. Bottom line is wife said it was great for about a week and then a cold snap hit ht earea last week and wouldn't you know it the 48603-33021 started to make all kinds of noise again. The Lexus mount was perfect. I just went down and got a second Lexus mount for the other side and so far the problem is solved.
  • We have a 99 avalon. We just replace the struts, mounts and sway bar...everyting was great for 2 days. Now I have a squeak when I do a slow sharp turn. It sounds like rubber on rubber. We have had it looked at and have been told that it is our rack, or our engine mount...also somebody suggest the ball joints needing greasing. All I know is that it developed after the struts were replaced. Our friend who did the work actually replaced all the new work since it was squeaking so bad...and it was great...for 2 days just like the first time...the more we drove it...the more the squeak. Can anybody help us with a solution.
    Thanks
  • I would be really interested to know what the dealer told you when you took your Avalon in for service and inspection since I have a 1997 Avalon that is making the same kind of noise that you are talking about in your posting.
  • We have not taken it to the Toyota dealer yet. We had taken it to auto repair places and got different opinions. We are making an appointment with a dealer for this next week. Will let you know as soon as they tell us, we fix what they say is wrong...and IF it fixes the problem.
  • Did you ever resolve the knocking noise in your Avalon?
  • Yes, we did get it fixed...sorry it has taken so long to respond. It ended up being the strut mounts. We had used a after market part and it needs to be a toyota part. When it was replaced with the toyota part...it became totally quite again. Hope this helps you
    I was the one who posted the rattle issue, specifically occuring only during cold weather. I determined that the noise was coming from the area of the moon-roof because, as noted, when I applied upward pressure, the noise went away. My car was in the shop a number of times as the local Toyota dealership attempted to fix the rattle. The Toyota regional rep was also involved. You may want to research my posts before taking your car in for service because it took the dealership and the Toyota rep a number of attempts before they were able to isolate the problem and then ultimately fix it. It was a very frustrating first two years of ownership, but my car has been quiet all winter.

Good luck..dan
  • I have an 2006 Avalon with about 29000 miles. I have noticed a thumping noise that seems to be coming from the right front or under the dash board when I first start driving my car. It only last for a minute or two. I think it started when the weather changed. Does anyone else have this problem?
  • Foreman5150....
    Does your car have a sun / moon roof? I have an 07 xls w/ the sun roof. My car only has 15K on it, and the first time it got cold ( lower 40;s ) I started hearing this thumping or ratttle that also sounded like it was coming from the right front part of the car. However someone told me that it had something to do with the sunroof. So the next time It got cold, I put my hand up against the sun roof and applied just alittle pressure and low and behold the rattle stopped. The rattle also stops as soon as the interior of the car warms up from the heater. We live in Louisiana where "cold" temperatures are limited so for that reason only I haven't taken my car into the dealership yet, but as soon as we get another cold snap, my avy will be in thier service dept. I think too you will notice that the rattle isn't there at all when the temperature outside is 50 or above.

Roland
    The facts on the 07 Avalon rattle and noise which is coming from the right side of the sunroof. Only happens when colder. For me it was 40 degrees or so. Solution: The dealer dropped the headliner in the car and replaced the track and certain parts of the sunroof mechanism. No more problems. He jumped right in and knew what to do. It was so aggrevating to spend so much money on a car that's no better than a US at much less the price. Toyota has gotten cheaper and cheaper with quality. Probably my last one. gpciii
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    "It was so aggrevating to spend so much money on a car that's no better than a US at much less the price"

Ok... go find a large American vehicle that has 268 HP more than capable of 30+ MPG, great resale, ranked top of the class, has every amenity available, and is above average in reliabillity for under 40K. I bet you can't!

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

What does challenge to go find a 268HP US car with every amenity that gets 30+ MPG have to do with the Toyota Avalon rattling and thumping problems? The facts about Toyota's downward trend in quality and the resultant problems, whether mechanical, electronic, or aggrevations are well documented by JD Powers, and others. And are acknowledged by Toyota as they have reported various actions taken to correct. In the meantime, we later model Avalon owners continue to be great help to each other in finding out how our various problems can be fixed. That's how I learned what was going on with my noise problem with the sunroof. Otherwise, like others I thought it was coming from the passenger side of the car. I've got the dash rattles now too but have resolved to the fact that that's part of what I bought! gpciii
    "What does challenge to go find a 268HP US car with every amenity that gets 30+ MPG have to do with the Toyota Avalon rattling and thumping problems?"

Nothing... I just felt you were awful quick to knock an otherwise great car for a simple problem. I just don't think a sunroof rattle is cause to think a manufacturer is falling apart. Please don't get me wrong I hate having anything wrong too and am not trying to diminish the fact you had a problem, but just putting it in context. Go onto some of the other car's forums and you'll understand what I am talking about.

• The temp. has warmed up ( 60 to 80 ) and the noise is gone...If that's the only problem I'm happy.
  • okay the noise is back. not from the sunroof but around the front passanger side down by their feet / side panel area. Can anyone help
  • 49364936 Posts: 15
    Maybe passenger side seat belt latch hitting the plastic panel at door. I had the same sound seemingly coming from the front floor area and found the belt latch was dangling against the panel, worth a try.
  • rpfingstenrpfingsten Posts: 154
    Foreman5150

Not to dispute what you say, but are you "positive" that noise isn't related to the sun roof? I ask because the noise I heard on my avy also sounded like it was coming from the front passenger side, and it's most definetly sun roof related. In fact I was at the toyota dealership just last weekend for something completely unrelated to this issue, when I mentioned it to the service writer. He sent two of their guys out in my car, one to drive, the other to listen with a stethoscope to see if they could hear any metal flex issues in the sun roof mechanism.. they said they did and told me that rather than sending it out to a trim shop and dropping the head liner, they wrapped some of the metal rods in the mechanism with felt. Of course since this is normally a cold weather issue, I wont' know if it really worked or not until this fall, but I'm hopeful... Other than that annoying rattle, I love the car... strange thing is that the sun roof rattle goes away as soon as the heater warms the car's interior, so in any case, the rattle is always a short term issue. Good luck with finding yours.

Roland
    My dealer sent my 07 Av out to a trim shop to drop the headliner and replace parts of the sunroof track. It totally fixed the problem. But before it sounded more like a rattle than a thumping noise. Overall, I am disappointed in my Avalon: e.g., electronics on the auto transmission allows overspeeding when downshifting, etc.; more noises have shown up. New noises include dash rattle over on passenger side (think this is a typical complaint) + in cooler weather the fan makes a chirping noise. Will just collect up everything and take it in prior to warranty end. Never have had a Toyota (probably 6-7 total) w/so many problems and annoyances. gpciii
  • Just purchased a new 2008 Avalon Limited. Have had it for just over week with about 500 miles on it. I notice a vibration on the floorboard on the driver's side that actually tickles my feet. I admit, I'm hyper-sensitive and a bit neurotic...but it's there. Is this normal? A function of new tires? Has anyone else experienced the same? I like the car, but this is keeping me from loving it.
  • dennyjodennyjo Posts: 1
    I have just purchased a 2007 avalon xls with 17000miles on it. I am surprised by the amount of road noise that the car has in the interior of the car. Is normal?
    Bridgestone Turanza tires? If so there is your answer. They are crap!