Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Small AWD SUVs Comparison

Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,024
Check out our comparo of the CX-7, RAV4, and Santa Fe. Come back here to post your comments.

Comparison Test: Small All-Wheel-Drive SUVs

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Comments

• jimd4jimd4 Posts: 877
    Well it was an interesting test article. A little schizo on the conclusion. "The CRV is best but if I am a a consumer I would buy the RAV4." ...I am paraphrasing of course.

If the Mazda is best and they both cost about the same, why not buy the Mazda. My answer, cause they are really two different vehicles. The Mazda is a mini wagon sports car and the RAV4 V6 Sport is a fairly hot performance "car truck" that is more practical for most people. Sort of like comparing the Audi A4 2.0T Advant to a RAV4 V6 Limited I think.

Just one guys opinion here.
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Posts: 498
    So, from a purely styling perspective, i.e. appearances and interior appointments, which do you prefer, the CX7 or the RAV4?

Vince.
  • danf1danf1 Posts: 935
    at least we won't have to hear the Toyota loyalists demand recounts and talk about hanging chads like when the Sonata managed to beat out the Camry. ;)
  • jcspohrjcspohr Posts: 97
    I prefer the 2007 Santa Fe - so much so, that I bought one!

;) ;) ;)

JCS
  • navigator89navigator89 Posts: 1,080
    I actually suggested a comparison test involving these SUVs and more on Karl's blog a few days ago, when he commented on the RDX. I'm glad the CX-7 took the gold, although I'm honestly suprised the Santa Fe didn't take 2nd. Guess the Toyota V6 was it's trump card.

Anyway my comparison test idea included those 3 plus more SUVs like the Ford Edge, Mitsubishi Outlander, Suzuki XL7, Saturn Outlook, all to be tested with the 3rd row and V6 engines. I like bigger comparison tests as the results are less predictable...more suspense awaits. I hope Edmunds can carry this out soon.
  • ...but the thought of having to drive a frumpy looking minivan(CX-7) or paying near $30k(I know what these really come to at the dealer) for what is supposed to be a cuteute (rav4), kinda makes me doubt these recommendations....
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Posts: 458
    Doubt all you want, but if the RAV4 was "supposed to be a cute ute," I doubt Toyota would have gone to the trouble of increasing its size so much and giving it the more truck-like schnoz.

And beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but calling the CX-7 a "frumpy looking minivan" is not going to gather too many supporters outside of the "Hyundai Santa Fe Fan Club."
  • Relax my friend, the Sonata was matched against 2 end of production cars with 4 cyl. In a re-match with the new Camry it's a different story. To boot have you seen the 07 Camry sales, no contest here at all. The Sonata is now lagging behind, even more so when the beautiful Altima comes out soon, ditto for the Accord.
  • wjbushsrwjbushsr Posts: 135
    "...frumpy looking minivan..."

This from a guy who obviously likes driving a rolling brick!
  • tinycadontinycadon Posts: 287
    Just hope all the guys in here arguing about looks and sizes of the CX-7 vs. * enter ute here * know that the CX-7 is a chick car, it's like getting all worked up about the VW Cabriolet vs. Miata!!! When Mazda 1st started advertising this vehicle they had a commercial where 2 guys are checking it out and one of them says: This guy is THE MAN!!! And then this tall skinny woman smiles at them and drives off. What a marketing blunder that was, totally turned me off to that car, and seeing how I haven't seen it since, it looks like the Mazda marketing folks got that one off the air VERY quickly. But the visual damage was done, this vehicle is the SUV equivalent to the VW Jetta. So when more of these vehicles start hitting the road, pay close attention to who's behind the wheel, doubt they'll be a lot of "testosterone" zipping around :P .
    At 6'3" and a Marine Corps Veteran, I'm hardly lacking testoterone.
    If your intellect tells you not to buy a car simply because a TV commercial shows a woman driving, my guess is you're driving a Model T!
    In the real adult world the only "chick" car is the one she went to the dealership and picked out and purchased for herself!
    My wife would rather drive her Expedition than my CX-7!

As for me, I still enjoy my football, baseball, basketball but not soccer, I work in a refinery, and all of my bro's are impressed with the "zoom-zoom" my car has! :shades:
    In your case, that advertising worked. Because of that commercial, you're convinced that the CX7 is a chick car - your masculinity is threatened. That's as bad as my son's conviction that the 2006 Mustang is a chick car. Sheesh!

So, if Hummer started advertising that showed a blond fox driving an H3, you're going to call that a chick car, too?

If you really like a car, stop worrying about what other people think. If you're friends start ribbing you about a chick car, maybe it's time to re-evaluate those friends.

Masculinity starts with standing by your convictions - not being swayed by other people's opinions.
  • sssfegysssfegy Posts: 132
    I wonder why would you take the time to write your opinion about marketing a vehicle you don't like?!!! Subaru has a 45% female buyers, would I not buy one because of that?!!! I wonder what you drive and I will tell you how many females have bought one! Very funny really, a guy car and a female car! And just so you know females give styling a higher priority than men, so everytime you see a good looking car don't buy it because you are a man! I am sure you drive something like an H1, or a quad cab diesel big monster, or better yet an Aztec!LOL
  • astegmanastegman Posts: 171
    I came across a similar debate in the Lexus forum (I just returned my RX300 [end of lease] and have now purchased the CX-7). Back and forth, lots of posts about whether the RX is "only" for women or not. There were plenty of posts supporting both sides.

In general, it seems ridiculous - sure, a particular car may be marketed to appeal to women, but if a guy wanted to buy that car, I doubt any dealer would refuse his money! The opposite is true as well. It seems a waste of time to debate this issue; it's all in the potential driver's head; if a man feels the CX-7 is a car that only women should drive, so be it...we may think it's foolish but who can be bothered...let that guy buy some vehicle that validates his masculinity. There are plenty of choices!! Hey, the HUMMER ads, as dumb as they are, are at least catering to both - you can feel more like a "REAL MAN" or "get your girl on" just by driving that vehicle. Sad, but seemingly harmless.

Just wanted to add that I am female. Also, no one should have to justify their car purchase to anyone else, ever. It's your hard-earned money - you can use it however you please and not have to make excuses. All of us CX-7 owners/drivers should be thrilled with our cars - those who don't like the CX-7, that's fine, too. Just don't try to make us feel bad about it.
  • sssfegysssfegy Posts: 132
    Totally agree, it should not be a discussion period! You like or you don't like that's all!
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,986
    females give styling a higher priority than men

I think that's too broad a characterization too. I have my own anecdotal examples I could offer, but unless you have some persuasive studies to link to, I'm not buying it (I may not even agree with a "persuasive" study, lol).

I just finished weaving a rag rug this morning and now I'm going to go play with my table saw. :shades:
    A "rag rug" ????
  • tinycadontinycadon Posts: 287
    WOW!!! I really hit a nerve with the dudes in this chatroom, I guess the truth hurts syndrome is in full effect :surprise: . Hey, mopeds are fun to drive as well, that don't make'em motorcycles ;) . Regardless, I threw it out there, and I'll stand by it, Mazda CLEARLY went after the women buyers with that add, and it clearly turned me off to the car, and they pulled it VERY QUICKLY, oh well???
    There wasn't a kernal of truth in what you said. You're just out in left field.
    Clearly you're in the wrong forum if you think a Moped is "fun" to drive! :P