Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Small AWD SUVs Comparison

Comments

• astegmanastegman Posts: 171
    So let me understand. Mazda puts out a commercial that is intended to make women interested in one of their cars. You see that commercial, and it changes your interest in the car (you no longer want to purchase it). Doesn't that mean the commercial actually worked? If Mazda was trying to make women buy that car, then you were not their target audience for that commercial. If the commercial was then yanked off the air, perhaps the Mazda folks felt it was a mistake to try to only attract women in regards to that vehicle. Which is weird, because money has no gender; whether it comes out of my bank account or my husband's bank account, it's still money. So I'd think Mazda was being foolish. Everyone sees the advertisements; the effect may vary by viewer, obviously...I've seen the CX-7 commercial where 2 guys are admiring the car and the driver turns out to be a woman; it had no impact on me, or my husband. As a matter of fact, prior to seeing that ad, my husband joked that when his car payments are done on his Forrester this December, perhaps he'd take a look at the CX-7! (which he won't'; he wants some time w/o car payments).

In any event...I have limited knowledge of the psychological aspects behind advertising, but I would say Mazda hit the bullseye with you - you don't want the car due to their advertising! Their ad agency should get a raise.

I'm curious as to your vehicle; I hope, though, that it brings you pleasure and that it was well-worth every penny you paid for it. After all, that's all that matters. :)
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I guess the truth hurts syndrome is in full effect

That's just posturing. One could as well argue that someone's insecurities are showing. I don't think any of it serves a useful purpose. Let's move on. :)

tidester, host
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,949
    Some people buy floor mats - I make them with my other computer. link

You knew that Toyota was originally a loom works company, right?
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Posts: 498
    Your link didn't work....got an Edmund's error page.

Vince.
    Should be fixed; there's some live tweaking going on with CarSpace right now. :blush:
  • tinycadontinycadon Posts: 287
    I drive an Xterra now, and while there are some females that do also, the majority of owners are male, it fits my needs and what I use it for (outdoors stuff), plus I'll never get the feeling I'm driving the Cabriolet of SUVs. Clearly there are cars that females gravitate towards, Jettas, Escapes, Miatas, etc.... Why that is, who knows and who cares, it's just a fact, they do, and suv's tend to attract more women because they want the higher driving view, the safer vehicle fallacy, whatever it is, it just is what it is. So when I see Mazda SPECIFICALLY targeting the women in a commercial that not only targets women, but emasculates the two guys who thought some rugged macho man would drive off, guess what, bye bye. So your husband likes it, good for him, but Mazda is geared towards a younger crowd and like it or not, younger people are a lot more status conscious, or is that just a figment of my imagination also, yuppies don't exist? Say what you want, but all I did was throw it out there and the men got "super sensitive." Time will tell who the majority of the vehicle buyers will be, zoom zoom or zuum zuum.

And the host's Toyota reference, that made absolutely NO sense, I'm sure you were trying to make some kind of male/female point, but it was so abject it lost its meaning???
    I'm impressed, you are indeed versatile. I'll bet your significant other is glad to have you! Now, how do you incorporate the CX-7 logo?

Vince.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    but it was so abject it lost its meaning???

To paraphrase Lee Iacocca, if you can find a more masculine car, buy it! :)

tidester, host
    Circles, like the Mazda logo, are hard; I leave the fancy stuff to my wife. I have more fun just cranking out the simple rugs and there's less math involved. I did make a rug that looks like a section of highway one time, but I don't have a scanned photo of it. I do have a soft spot for Toyota because of this.
    Mazda is geared towards a younger crowd

Just FYI, I am 44 years old. I'm definitely not a yuppie, because I'm not "young" and I'm not "urban." I am a professional, however, having obtained a law degree in 1987. That's just the lawyer in me, always needing to clarify! Old habits die hard. Certainly yuppies do still exist...I think...I don't know, I moved out of NYC 13 years ago!

I really knew very little about Mazda prior to buying my CX-7. I still don't...haven't a clue about most of their other models, and don't care. This car fit my needs, appealed to me aesthetically, and was soooo much less expensive than buying a new Lexus RX. I loaded mine up with all the bells and whistles (expect satellite radio; not sure yet)and paid so much less than if I'd purchased another Lexus.

Clearly there are cars that females gravitate towards, Jettas, Escapes, Miatas

Oddly, the handful of folks I know who drove Miatas were all male. But that was a long time ago, when they first came out. Maybe the demographics have changed?

More broadly,to everyone out there, does anyone know who buys more cars, men or women? Are there more women in the U.S. these days than men? I've lost track of stats like that. Is it generally perceived that women have less money at hand than men? I guess that might affect who a car maker wants to attract? But that's off topic. Sorry. :cry:
    Women either buy or influence the purchase of 85 percent of all new cars and trucks sold in the United States today. (2001 Edmunds article)
  • wjbushsrwjbushsr Posts: 135
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Cabriolet mean its a convertible?

Plus, you realize that the Corvette, the ultimate chick magnet was originally targeted towards the feamle buyer? Or that Ford and GM both decided in the late 80's to begin making their trucks more car like to appease the female buyer?
    The point I'm making is if we were to follow your "logic", then buds would all drive trucks, and the gals would only drive sedans or wagons.
    :confuse:

By the way; I see more Xterras on the road in Houston being driven by young women.
    I'll call the used car department and let them know you're on your way to trade the frilly little thing in... :blush:
    You gotta get the XM Radio! So much better than FM, uninterrupted listening where ever you go and 99% of the time, commercial free! Of course, I got mine factory installed along with the tech package. Whole thing is tightly integrated with the Nav System and the Bose 9 speakers! The whole thing rocks when the volume is cranked.

Vince.
    I will agree with tinycadon on one point; I definitely like being higher up while driving. As an adult driver, I've driven the following: an ancient Jeep Wagoneer (bought used 2 months after our wedding; thought by our mechanic to have spent time underwater, but that's another story); 2 Chevy Blazers (1997 and 2000); a Lexus RX300; and now the CX-7.

I am so used to being elevated that I feel uncomfortable driving or being a passenger in a typical sedan. Prior to his Forrester, my husband had a Saturn (the 2nd year they came out), and I always felt that my rear was just a few inches from hitting the pavement! And when I was pregnant, it took a crane to get me out of that Saturn...just not a pretty sight!

My very , very first car, as a 16-year old with a sparkling new license in 1978, was a 1965 Mustang convertible. Was that considered a chick car? Was the Blazer? These "trends" are meaningless to me. If the car is what I need/want, I get it. Why would I be influenced otherwise?

So we females buy/influence the purchase of 85% of vehicles?? WOW! Had no idea. Love this whole website, you learn so much.

Edited to add: Vince, I am seriously considering the Satellite radio. I drive 45+ minutes each way to work and MUST have music every moment (except if the Mets are on). How much is it? Is it a monthly charge, or do you pay up front for a determined period of time?
    Abject or Hopeless, Miserable, Horrible, the Toyota reference didn't make a impact due to the fact the point wasn't very clear?
    I believe it, even car companies get nagged to death too :P
    By the way; I see more Xterras on the road in Houston being driven by young women.

They probably drive 4X4s due to the severe winters :shades:
    When I ordered SIRIUS, it came with 6 months free service. One year costs $149. or you can buy other packages (longer subscription periods, which breaks out to lower monthly costs). Well worth the cost. and with over 150 channels, there's something for every one. Go to www.sirius.com and look over their channel lineup.

Vince.
    Thank you everyone who helped me burn the last three hours of work, freecell wasn't cutting it today, enjoy your rides! ;)
    If only I worked as hard as I appear to be...this website is addictive!!