Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Small AWD SUVs Comparison

Comments

• I got the same opinion.
  • Have test driven several different Crossovers. I think that is the best way when shopping around + options I would want. I always buy leather seating and like at least power seats.
  • piastpiast Posts: 269
    This is true, but performance numbers are not that good. Check review in DEC Motor Trend, SUV of the Year contest. It's 0-60 mph of 8.0 sec is worse than RAV4, CX7 or XL7 (Outlander 8.1 sec, Santa Fe 8.5 sec) , slalom and lateral acceleration worse than all of them including Mitsu, Santa Fe and CRV, braking 60-0 mph of 142 ft worst of all, same for fuel economy (18/23 mpg). Tod Lassa wrote: :"Santa Fe easily bests it for refinement and interior quality...its slalom, skidpad and figure 8 numbers are worse than the GMC Yukon Denali's...on-road driving experience is no day at the beach, either. The new 3.5 V6 is trashy under full throttle...The Edge doesn't have what it takes to help solve Ford's problems'
    "The Saturn variant will be assembled in Mexico"
    Can it be any more complicated? Korean designed and build Daewoo, sold as Opel Antara in Europe, will be assembled in Mexico and sold as Saturn here. How about exporting it from USA to Canada and back to Asia as Chevy.
  • I was just saying what the car looked like from the pictures, and I could tell I was not interested in the Outlander. This whole point of this forum is to voice your opinion and that is what I have done. As for what I said about my friends mitsubishis, you and other people were saying Mitsu's reliability was good and I was just bringing up the other Mitsu's that were not good. I know we are comparing CUV's, but we were talking brands and I was talking about brands and the other cars of a certain brand. I have driven the competition, and the CR-V impressed me the most. I am NOT saying the Outlander rides bad, of bad quality interior, or is slow, or anything else I could not possibly know or be able to tell. I was just saying what thought of the back end and the third row looks, from the pictures. All I did in the post you are referring to, was answer the four points.
  • The Edge doesn't have what it takes to help solve Ford's problems'

Definatly true. The edge is way over priced and the only somewhat innovation in it is the vista roof (although competitors do have that so maybe not). But even that is dumb, it weighs waaay too much. Making the Edge a slower vehicle. The interior will never compete with others, no Ford does. If this car rides anything like Escape, it is crap, if it rides like CX-7 (same platform), or even the RDX, it can compete, lets hope it does, for Fords sake.

Ford has many problems. They can't seem to do anything right these days. The Escape is a joke and interior is probably one of the worst in the segment. The Freestyle is boxy and boring...and under powered-for how big it is.
  • I should add that I feel that the CX-7 is a much better buy than the Edge.
  • Comments please.. I read the article and have to ask about RESALE value in 4 years on each. I am guessing the Honda holds its value better?

:mad: Anyone can email me about the Santa Fe, Saturn Vue, and the Honda CRV.. I am looking at all three 2007's and I am really torn. Mileage is terrible.. warranties are not the same... eeek!.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,938
    Check out Edmunds' True Cost to Own tool for the models you are interested in.
  • davesuvdavesuv Posts: 149
    While everyone's priorities are different, for me the most important criteria when evaluating a new vehicle is safety. If a vehicle can keep me and my family alive and unhurt during an accident, other qualities like looks, comfort, and performance seem relatively unimportant.

To that end, I would nix the Saturn Vue from my list. You cannot get vehicle stability control on it. Side airbags are also not available. I would never even consider a vehicle without these basic necessities. Not when most others offer them, often standard.

That leaves you with the CRV and the Santa Fe. Both are great vehicles. The Santa Fe weighs about 500 pounds more and is therefore at a slight advantage in safety (but now we're splitting hairs). You need to spend quality time with each vehicle, both on the road and going over them at the dealerships. Read as many reviews on each as you can find. I'm sure one will eventually capture your heart. Which one would you most like to show off to your family and friends?

The Santa Fe won me over. I have a red Limited with the sunroof and third row seat. But then, I was looking for a vehicle with third row seating. I absolutely love driving it. I'm sure you can find any number of CRV owners who feel the same way about their vehicles. Either way you go, you're a winner.
  • guestguest Posts: 774
    :D Insert Twighlight Zone theme. :D

That is the EXACT Santa FE that I want (but I want black interior rather than tan which seems to be hard to find).

I want the third row because "every once and awhile" I need to seat six.

:surprise: Unreal. Thanks for the input. I will still drive them both... my brother has a Vue.. I was just not that impressed.. and the Santa Fe warranty.. good heavens...

What kind of mileage are you getting? Why did you not look at the Mazda ? Just curious. J
  • davesuvdavesuv Posts: 149
    I've commented a couple of times on my mileage. You can check them out at message 15 and message 44 in the MPG thread.

Also, I did not look at the Mazda because I specifically wanted the third row seating, not offered in the Mazda. I'm also not really a fan of turbocharged engines. Maybe a younger crowd might appreciate them, but I'd prefer a lower rpm quieter engine. The Santa Fe Limited has more than enough power for my driving style. I still think the RX7 is a nice vehicle and would likely be a great match for many. I've not looked into its safety.

The RAV4 is another great vehicle, but did not meet my requirements for both 3rd row seating and heated seats (nope you can't get leather interior with heated seats if you get the third row - a pity). I also like the interior better in the Santa Fe. I am a big Toyota fan and own a Highlander, which my son drives. Now that's a nice SUV, but the Highlander is due for a makeover soon and I didn't want two of the same kind of car.

For my specific requirements and desires, all the stars aligned and pointed to the Santa Fe. Never thought I'd be owning a Hyundai, but if things keep up the way they've been going, it will definitely be a brand I closely look at when it next becomes time for a replacement vehicle (hopefully in about 10 yrs).
    Honda and Toyota holds value better, but cost more to begin with. In the end is all the same. IMO the best value out there is Santa Fe and 07 Mitsubishi Outlander. Both with available third row, about same size, 10 years power train warranty, regular fuel. Mitsu has 6 speed trany standard, better handling and fuel economy, bit more cargo room, available Navigation and Xenon headlights (not offered on Hyundai yet). Santa Fe has more soft ride and nicer interior. Try them for yourself.
  • Just hope all the guys in here arguing about looks and sizes of the CX-7 vs. * enter ute here * know that the CX-7 is a chick car, it's like getting all worked up about the VW Cabriolet vs. Miata!!! When Mazda 1st started advertising this vehicle they had a commercial where 2 guys are checking it out and one of them says: This guy is THE MAN!!! And then this tall skinny woman smiles at them and drives off. What a marketing blunder that was, totally turned me off to that car, and seeing how I haven't seen it since, it looks like the Mazda marketing folks got that one off the air VERY quickly. But the visual damage was done, this vehicle is the SUV equivalent to the VW Jetta. So when more of these vehicles start hitting the road, pay close attention to who's behind the wheel, doubt they'll be a lot of "testosterone" zipping around .

Funny... your post is from August and you claim they pulled the ad off the air, yet I have seen it recently in December. That doesn't say much for you or your theory. Are you sure you aren't one of those forum trolls that just loves to stir the pot?

BTW... I see plenty of men driving Jettas.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    you claim they pulled the ad off the air

The statement was "I haven't seen it since" which is distinctly different from "they pulled it off the air."

tidester, host
  • The statement was "I haven't seen it since" which is distinctly different from "they pulled it off the air."

tidester, host

I guess you missed the part where the original poster stated:

it looks like the Mazda marketing folks got that one off the air VERY quickly.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I guess I did miss that - thanks for pointing it out.

tidester, host
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Posts: 498
    What I can't understand: why is anyone going way back to August to rehash old material? Let's get on with current topics.

Vince.
  • Comments please.. I read the article and have to ask about RESALE value in 4 years on each. I am guessing the Honda holds its value better?

Anyone can email me about the Santa Fe, Saturn Vue, and the Honda CRV.. I am looking at all three 2007's and I am really torn. Mileage is terrible.. warranties are not the same... eeek!.
    +

I am of the opinion that anybody who has to worry about the resale value of a car shouldn't be buying one new in the first place.
  • "I am of the opinion that anybody who has to worry about the resale value of a car shouldn't be buying one new in the first place."

Spoken like someone who has never owned a Renault LeCar, Merkur XR4Ti, or Sterling 800... :P