Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Small AWD SUVs Comparison

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,921
    I drive them forever and I look into resale - if my new car is totalled within the first few years of ownership and the resale value has tanked, I won't get as much back from the insurance company as I might with a brand that holds its value better.

Here's a good way to figure out depreciation of your projected new ride:

True Cost to Own
  • kp58kp58 Posts: 17
    You might like the CX9 that is coming out at the first of the year. Same as the CX7 BUT is 15 inches longer and adds a third row of seats -- no turbo so it won't require the premium fuel either.
  • cxrabbitcxrabbit Posts: 134
    CX-9 is bigger and looks like an inflated CX-7... just keep in mind that under the hood it's a different animal. It has a Ford engine. Some might like that, others... well not-so-much.
  • The winner is a baby blue Santa Fe 2007 SE - they added leather seats for free. I traded a 2001 Ford with 65K on it that I bought used in 2001 that needed $2500 worth of work done to it (sending unit in gas tank for one).

Hence the resale value worry. ;) I keep cars for 5 years and tend to pay them off early (kept Hondas I owned for 6+ years and still got 5K or more in trade for them). Resale value is a fact of life if that is your down payment!

Anyway, I LOVE the car.. and I have the 3.3 and I am getting 19.5 MPG IN TOWN!!! My Ford got 16 in town (and it was a Taurus Wagon). Thanks all for the input...

:surprise: Anyone have an opion on buying a "bra" for it... ?

Jenna
  • pelican19pelican19 Posts: 323
    Get it. The bra looks awesome. A little bit of a pain to keep clean but worth the effort. Below is a link where I purchased mine.

http://www.hyundaiaccessorystore.com/Hyundai_Santa_Fe_Front_End_Mask.hmtl
  • What is entailed to keep it clean? I am in FL and thinking about our twice a year love bug infestation.. :sick: nasty things have acid in their bodies.. do real damage to paint.

Also, can this roof rack carry a canoe? Any advice on that?

I have the SE 3.3 with a third row seat. :blush:

Jenna
  • pelican19pelican19 Posts: 323
    Jenna,

The dealer suggests you remove it twice a year and give the truck a good detailing ( wax ). I suggest removing it each time you have it washed and wax the car 3 times a year IMO. Cant hurt. Dirt will get under it and collect. Be warned, it is a pain to install the first time until it stretches. Once the bra has aclimated to the shape of the truck its a breeze to remove and re-install. Visit my carspace site and you can see the one I installed on my wifes 07 Entourage SE. I will have a pic of the Santa Bra soon. As for the canoe the answer is yes unless its gross weight exceeds 175lbs.
  • sssfegysssfegy Posts: 132
    Just checked that link..seems to me it's paid for by Honda. Check a Mazda3 on it, then go try to buy one for the price they think it will depreciate! You'll pay list for them.
    Please reply with an example..but this link is useless.
    What you can sell your used car for is different than the price a dealer will sell the same car for - that gap is noted when you Appraise your used car. That's why there are Trade-In, Private Party and Dealer Retail prices listed for used cars and there is about a $2,000 difference between trade in and retail price for a 2005 Mazda3i, as one example (link).

If you are buying new then your target to beat is True Market Value.
  • sssfegysssfegy Posts: 132
    Sure these numbers are posted on a site as an estimate (guide) that has NOTHING to do with the market. Here is the same car(05 Mazda3I 4door) here is what you can but it for at auction if you have a license(Manheim):

Auction Averages For Week Ending Jan 11
    Above Average Below
    Sale Price $13,463 $11,585 $ 9,707
    Mileage 18,065 31,484 44,903

Average Auction Mileage 31484 ($11,585!!!!)

This is as of last week...your dealer retail is what dealers are paying for it in REAL life!

Here is the Civic...your Edmunds trade is: $9528 (5M DX)

Auction:
    Auction Averages For Week Ending Jan 11
    Above Average Below
    Sale Price $12,664 $11,328 $9,992
    Mileage 13,552 27,104 40,656

So the Mazda is bringing MORE money with more miles!!!! Unlike what your"Guide" says.
    The Edmunds True Market Value (TMV) is our exclusive system for calculating what others are paying for new and used vehicles, based on real sales data from your geographic area. (link, emphasis added).

Since we're getting more and more off-topic, please take this to the Edmunds Pricing & TMV discussion.
  • I had a vinyl bra on a '95 T-Bird that did far more paint damage than if no bra had been installed. It was removed each week and the hood was waxed once each month, but the small grit that collected under it between cleanings acted as sandpaper and really wore down the paint. If you put one of these on your car you will regret it.

The day we bought a new Accord for the Mrs. we took it to a tint shop and had the clear 3M film applied. Two years later the hood still looks like new. No difference in paint color and the film has not yellowed. A much better choice than vinyl paint protection.

3M link "http://www.invisiblemask.com/site.html">link title
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Posts: 498
    What's not mentioned is that this isn't an Edmunds service, but rather, uses Autotrader.com to get the desired info.

Vince.
    I think you are confusing our proprietary TMV info with our Used Car sales partner (Powered by AutoTrader). Last I heard we get sales prices from all over but I'm not exactly privy to the details.

TMV is exclusively an Edmunds.com system. (link and another link fyi)
  • It was new to me when I read it. LOL
  • I am thinking of buying a SUV this fall or by the end of the 2007 year. I like very much the SF my only concern is the mpg. Nissan will have the Rogue that goes on sale this fall with same looks (exterior) as the SF but with a 4 cylinder engine 2.5 liter motor 170hp and a CVT it promisses better mpg. not so sure I'll like the interior as much as the SF.
    link title
  • Did the AWD RAV4 suffer from the same torque steer difficulties that plagued your long-termer 2WD RAV4?

I'm in the market and I willing to opt for the AWD if it cured this nasty problem.
    Went to the Nissan website, future vehicles. Rogue looks pretty good - has iPod and Bluetooth and a Bose option. Although it's too early to tell if what Nissan advertises on their website, will ultimately transition into production. Only fly in the ointment? No Navigation System! Nav is a MUST HAVE option for me.

Vince.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    Rouge vs. Santa Fe

It's a trade off. You sacrifice volume/practicability for fuel efficiency.

Your comparison is like comparing the Sonata to the Sentra, apples to oranges.
    To me, the Rogue is similar to the RAV4 in terms of physical size and appearance. Both are smaller than either the Santa Fe or the CX-7.

Vince