Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could This EVER Happen Again?

2»

Comments

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,167
    edited September 2012
    Two more things: First, everyone was familiar with the Ford brand, whereas far fewer know Tesla. Second, the Mustang could be ordered with an endless combination of engines, transmissions, body styles and accessories compared with the Tesla S.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,120
    Very true that the Mustang was affordable to nearly everyone. My recently married parents, who both were of modest means, were considering buying a new Mustang at the time.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,416
    True but no new car offers the wide array of options one could get in the 1960s---maybe the exception being Porsche, which has an option list as long as a back fence.

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,509
    It was a lot easier before the working/middle class was gutted so a few can enjoy gilded age perks, eh?

My dad h.ad a Mustang around 1970. Probably a car where everyone has had one in their not too distant family.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,167
    Will there ever again be a styling phenomenon that's as transformative, provocative and widespread as tail fins? I can't imagine what it would be. You couldn't avoid noticing them. They suddenly made styling that came prior obsolete, in terms of the automotive tastes of the time. It wasn't long before the entire automotive industry, domestic and European, adopted them in some form or another.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,301
    My father bought one of the first 1964 1/2 Mustangs delivered to Kentucky. A rural Ford dealer ordered one and the original buyer backed out. The owner was a family friend and called Dad and offered it to him. It was a black coupe with a red interior- under the hood was 260 V8 mated to a Cruise-O-Matic slushbox. I was in grade school at the time, but I still remember the reactions it generated. Amazing.
    Mom totaled it in 1969... :cry:

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,012
    edited September 2012
    Probably a car where everyone has had one in their not too distant family.

Be interesting to play that premise out. We became a Ford family but in the 60s we were still GM (well, there was a '49 Ford before my time I think). Anyway, closest thing to a Mustang was my sister's '67 Firebird.

Anyone else?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Any friends have one?

Another one to compete would be VW Beetle. Everyone probably had one in the extended family or friends. My mom had one before I was born (eventually got a Porsche engine after my dad blew up the stock unit) and my WW2 vet grandpa chose one as a company car sometime in the 70s.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,012
    edited September 2012
    Can't think of anyone who had a Mustang. I remember riding in the back seat of one once when I was a kid but have no idea whose it was.

Lots of Bugs and a Bus plus my wife's family had a Bug too (she hated it :sick: ). The SuperBeetle I had when we met didn't last long. :shades: Getting back to Shifty's premise, I recall reading that some (wealthy) people buying Bugs just to have around as a spare car since they were affordable. Kept them for guests, etc. I got mine because they were cheap and reliable.

Oh wait - does a Mustang II count? Guy I worked with in '74 had one. My Dad had a Falcon back in the late 60s if that counts, lol. Same difference under the sheet metal, right?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Cheap and reliable, that's why my mom bought one and why my grandpa chose one. He later had a Corolla, very openminded for someone of his generation. But he always chose large domestics for the family car.

Mustang II counts, although some will cringe at the thought.

Heck, when I was in high school in the 90s, a friend of mine had a very nice 66 Mustang.
2»