Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SUV's water fording ability

2»

Comments

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    One thing that annoyed me a few years ago when offroading was that a Jeep Cherokee in our group did not come with tow-hooks std. This wasn't a stripped down version either. When we met/invited him on the trip we assumed a fairly loaded Cherokee would have tow hooks so we didn't make a special point to make sure he had em. Until he fell in a sink-hole half way up his doors and we had to yank him out! Just suprising.

-mike
    The other thing that will effect your water fording is your driving style. I've seen guys go blasting through water and mud and hydrolock in relatively low water, and others go gently through deeper water and not get hydrolocked. Driver skill does effect your fording ability.

-mike
  • 5213252132 Posts: 62
    Don't show this picture to wife http://www.wjjeeps.com/mud1.jpg
    NICE! I miss offroading, haven't done it in about 3 years. :(

-mike
  • 2000 (3rd Gen) Toyota 4Runner...

I've forded more water than I probably should have, and although it was standing still, it wasn't any less scary. My truck was stock height, with no aftermarket additions, and I was pushing water approx. 4 to 6 inches above the bottom of my windshield. I would imagine that this is approx. 3.5 to 4 feet of water. If I would have stopped in the water, I would have gotten water in the engine and inside the SUV, but since I kept moving and only submerged for 5 to 10 seconds, the water stayed out of all important areas, namely the intake. Stock, the intake gets its air from inside the left fender, and since I had enough speed, I guess there was enough air trapped in the fender to keep moving.

I DO NOT recommend you try this without the the proper water fording kit.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,043
    •A foot of water will float many vehicles. According to the U. S. Geological Survey, water one foot deep typically exerts 500 pounds of lateral force, which could easily tip it on its side or flip it over.

•Two feet of rushing water will carry away most vehicles, including SUVs and pickups. The vertical buoyancy force of about 1,500 pounds lifts the vehicle, while a lateral force of 1,000 pounds (or more if water is flowing faster) pushes it downstream.

The Underrated Power of Water (wunderground.com)
2»