Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Sliding Door Problems

Comments

• fudbugfudbug Posts: 3
    Maybe no recall, but there are problems with the 2007. Our 07 Sienna has different one. The drivers side slider doesn't latch. This makes the interior lights stay on, thus killing the battery. Even with the light switch shut off it kills the battery because it senses the door is open an tries to draw the door closed all night. Toyota "fixed" the problem once still under warranty. about 30k miles . The next time it wasn't, and were told that it could be two different things, one might cost about $35o and the other about $800. The problem is the had to take it apart to see which one it was. Am I alone with this problem?
    The drivers side rear slider doesn't latch. This makes the interior lights stay on, thus killing the battery. Even with the light switch shut off it kills the battery because it senses the door is open an tries to draw the door closed all night. Toyota "fixed" the problem once still under warranty. about 30k miles . The next time it wasn't, and were told that it could be two different things, one might cost about $350 and the other about $800. Problem is they had to take it apart to see which one it was. Am I alone with this problem?
  • I have the exact same problem on my 2005 Sienna. I can physically push on the outside of the door and the warning light will blink off and on as I apply and release pressure to the door.

It seems like a sensor switch is engaging and disengaging.

Have you found a solution?
  • I just posted that I had the same problem with my 2005 Sienna. I located the sensor switch and thought it wasn't being fully depressed when the door closed. I added a small pad to the door to depress the switch further and it still didn't work. So I did some further investigation.

It turns out that there are 3 mounting screws at the back of the door that hold the latching mechanism in place. All 3 screws were loose. Once I tightened them the problem was solved. It requires a star head screwdriver which luckily I had.

Hope this helps. Better than $800+ repair.
  • Hi,
    I live in Alaska and have a 2005 Sienna XLE. The first two years I had the vehicle there were no problems but starting last year, my sliding doors also froze shut. I took it to my Toyota dealer and was told "it's just a design flaw in the vehicle". I was told to wipe the doors down with a towel after it snowed or I was at the car wash and then spray everything with WD40 or Silicone. I've tried both and neither work. Luckily I don't have kids and just have resigned myself to not using the doors a good portion of the winter, which is ridiculous. Now, my gas latch is also freezing up and this morning I had to take my car to the car wash to unfreeze the side gas latch so I could get gas. Toyota should be ashamed since these vehicles aren't cheap!
  • I'm the person from Alaska, and my father is retired. I forwarded this list to him and he called the Department of Transportation's Auto Safety Hotline.He and was told everyone should file a complaint and that the problems would be investigated. For what it's worth the phone number is: 1-888-327-4236. Toyotas are not cheap vehicles and they shouldn't make us go through this. In my case my husband had a wheelchair because he was a brain tumor patient. It was horrible not to be able to open the side doors of the Sienna. Kathy
  • vern54vern54 Posts: 3
    I posted my problems a year ago. I had all the same problems. Sticking doors, broken cabels, sensors in doors that don't work properly. Doors that seem to be secure and then the door not properly secure light, comming on while I'm driving down the road with the kids in back. My biggest worry was the doores not being secure and no indication of it. I found that the problem began in the mechinisum that grabs the metel loop that is connected into the door frame. The c shaped latch is covered with a plastic coating which when worn or damaged allows moisture in and the metel clamp swells up and binds the latch. No amount of lubrication helps. This would give me a false reading that all the doors were latched.....but while driving down the road the door not properly secure light would come on. Toyota made a big mistake by plastic coating a metel that would rust and swell up the outer coating from the inside making the latch not function properly. I feel this led to other problems like broken cabels and locks not working properly. Because if the latch itself is binding up when you try to release it and when you try to lock it. Well after all that I am glad to say, a couple of months ago the Toyota Sienna went by by and we now have a KIA Sedonia. You guies need to file the complaint to the department of transportation safety division. Only you can get Toyota to fix it.
    Did you have the dead battery problem too? I'm in New England so that doesn't help.
    It's only 2 1/2 years old so I would think it wouldn't be an issue
  • My 04 Sienna has the freezing, latching and snapped power door cable issues. Apparently the local parts wholesaler (a Toyota dealer) has refused to give my mechanic any information on the parts. Two dealerships have quoted $3000 and $1700 per door (one for the old replacement, one for TSB 0085-09 - in that order). The first dealer wouldn't even acknowledge that the TSB existed.

I've logged the complaint with the NTSB. There are definitely safety issues, not the least of which are the doors not closing or latching open completely and the "door open" indicator not recognizing when the broken power door is open.

Toyota national consumer help line opened a case and promised to call back, but never did - it's been more than six months.
  • jjllcaljjllcal Posts: 31
    I really hate toyota now.. I was a toyota man... Not Anymore...
    We have so much problems with this van, I consider it is a lemon....
    List of problem
    1) Gas lick (flooded) after replacing the fuel tank.. took them 2 weeks to fix.
    2) Driver side front door has popping sound - welding problem- initially they refuse to fix until the recall got in.
    3) Driver side sit belt not easily release - wants $300 to fix .. Safty issue? Not fix yet.
    4) Steering wheel arm cushion broke - bad for driving and aligment- cost $700.00
    5) Passenger automatic door broke - require 800+ to fix claiming motor problem. took it to a independent auto shop , fix it for $200.00. The cushion of the arm that hold the door worn off and therefore the door is scratching the side of the car.
    6) the most current one... I do not know whether it is related to rain or not.
    it happen 2 times last week, It is very hard to turn my steering wheel when I am in drive mode, have to restart the car to solve this problem.

Do any of you have the last problem.. I am very afraid what will happen if I am driving on freeway.
  • I tried to call Toyota only to get a machine. The machine said to call back later due to call volume. So, I suggest we all write a letter to the following address.

Ms. Kathleen C. DeMeter, Director
    Office of Defects Investigation
    National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
    Room W45-302
    1200 New Jersey Avenue, S.E.
    Washington, D.C. 20590

Make sure you detail the crap you are putting up with ... in a NICE way.

Good Luck and Be Well,
    Phil
  • http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Pursuits/20- 06/EA/INRR-EA06020-29185.pdf

When writing make sure you tell her why it is a safty issue. Refer to the above link and make sure not to use arguments that have already been dismissed.

Ms. Kathleen C. DeMeter, Director
    Office of Defects Investigation
    National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
    Room W45-302
    1200 New Jersey Avenue, S.E.
    Washington, D.C. 20590

Be Well,
    Phil
  • Yes!!!! We have had this happen numerous times on our our 07 Sienna Limited and took it to our dealer several times and could not reproduce the problem. I finally DEMANDED that every part potentially related to this issue be replaced. My wife has had to push our kids out of the way as this thing will close for no reason and will not stop closing. That was done Dec 09 Well it has started doing it again just last week. We have also had numerous problems with interior lights not working or occassional flashing, the power rear seat not stowing and stopping halfway, the rear door not opening at all, etc. This van sucks. There are huge electrical issues with this thing. :lemon:
  • I file my complaint to NHTSA. I think all the owner should file their complaint to NHTSA,because this Sienna van is a time bomb. You do not know when it is going to happen. I took my Sienna van to a repair shop to check out the steering wheel not working (hard to turn during driving). They can not reproduce the problem. I really believe that the electrical or computer system is bad. I am just glad that when the problem occurred when the van is in the parking lot not in the freeway. :mad:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    That's a strong way to put it, but at this point the tide of negative publicity has Toyota cornered so they will have no choice in the matter.

The Prius will be added next, followed by the Sienna.

By the time all is said and done I bet they reprogram every ECU for models with throttle-by-wire to cut off the throttle completely when the brake is applied.

Just remember the Neutral trick until we hear more.
  • Yes I have the SAME problem! Now the one door won't open at all, as if it is still locked. AND have the same problem as others where the door not shut light comes on when the doors appear to be shut. I now keep the inside liggh button OFF all the way since if the doors seem not to be shut the battery goes dead.
  • I too took mine to dealer when it was only one door that was a prohblem. It would be about $900 to take the door apart and fix it. Now the other door is acting up. They used to stick when it was cold like they were frozen. Now the door won't unlatch when I unlock it. I am afrtaid of emergency too... what if you get in a crash and need to get the door open to get kids out? They can't all crawl through front doors from the back seats of a van. Is this another TOYOTA defect?
  • I have a 2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan UGH! We have had numerous problems with our as well but the biggest is the sliding doors freezing shuit in the winter months. We live in Chicago, Illinois> After years of battles and driving the vehicle every single day to the dealership every time the doors froze shut for years. We have tried Bear Grease, WD40 and everything and anything else to no avail. Nothing Worked. Toyota finally came up with a new modling kit for the Sienna's but when they punched in my vin # my vehicle they said was not eligable for the kit and it wouldnt fit my vehicle. 12 months went by and out of pure frustration our dealership finally sick of me coming in with frozen doors and demanding a loaner car while they thawed out the doors. They ordered the kit anyway (FREE OF CHARGE) and tried it on my car. WOW SHOCKING IT FIT! Call your dealership and demand they order the new molding kit (FREE OF CHARGE) if they dont know what you are talking about call Grossinger Toyota in Chicago and ask for the service manager he will know what the part is. GOOD LUCK FELLOW FRUSTRATED SIENNA OWNERS. PS. I will never ever purchase a Toyota vehicle again.
  • My door crunches and snaps when I open and shut to find they have exstended the warrenty on this problem to five years or 100,000 miles. I went into this royal palm florida to be told I had to rent a car and they order a piece, while the toyota manufacture told they they would weld the piece. I walked out for the second time of this place, first when I had only 7,000 miles and my sliding door drirvers side stopped working... to be given the run around by this dealership to now 25,000 later I have no warrenty or help.

Has anyone heard of redoing something to the doors when the battery dies? My battery did die so I was told to re? to restore computer to the sliding door? I called toyota and they told me to take it in to the dealership... what a joke..
  • I have the EXACT same issue with my 2004 Sienna. I have also had to replace both door cables and motors totaling $3,400.00!!! These vans are not good. Toyota has fallen from grace and there is no bottom in sight. Thank you for the post. I will get our car to the dealer asap.
  • Both door cables snapped on our Sienna as well due to the doors being frozen shut and the extra wear and tear on the cables trying to open frozen doors. It is a design flaw there is not a rain guard or gutter on the 2004 Sienna and nowhere for the rain or moisture to go but straight into the rubber molding around the sliding doors. The new moldong kits will fix the problem with the doors freezing shut. But I had our dealership replace both door cables as well due to the wear and tear. Thank God we had purchased the extended warranttee on the big giant LEMON or we would have been out alot of money on all the things that have gone wrong with this car.
  • Your dealer doesn't know the part number. Could you please look on your bill and post the part number. They have no knowledge of a replacement gasket thea resolves the problem
    Thanks
  • Here is the info from my invoice to fix the sliding doors freezing shut problem.
    The part numbers are #62381-AE012 and 62382-AE012 description Weatherstrip. The invoice reads NEC to replace top weatehr strippings with UPDATED Parts LAB OP BD8040, COMBO A. If you call over there the advisor was Sean McCarthy but I also worked with Brian Coster alot on this issue he is the service manager at Grosinger Toyota and I guarantee you they remember me and my frozen doors.
    Just a reminder when I told him about the weather strip recall info I had found on the internet he also checked with Toyota and when they punched in my vin # they were told the new weatherstripping WOULD NOT fit my car. They only tried it as a last ditch effort to get me out of their faces. You will have to be fairly forceful to get them to order it for your car if your vin # doesnt match as well.
    Hope this helps Good Luck!
  • I've been experiencing this problem ever since we got the car, and as you all know it is extremely annoying. Never so much as this morning, however. Running late for a trip to my mechanic for a variety of issues, I encountered the frozen door this morning, gave a good yank, and ripped off the door handle. Oh, and the popping sound on the front door? I had to have mine fixed twice. I too am getting rather annoyed with my Toyota.
  • Thanks for the part numbers. I spoke with my service rep at Toyota Town in London, Ontario and they say the weatherstrips are not covered since my warranty has expired on my 2004. He also said that all cars have their sliding doors freeze shut in our winter climates and that these new weatherstrips will start freezing shut after they get dirty and wear in a bit. He said Toyota will never fix a car once your warranty has expired.
    Thats not true as they started replacing engines that blew up with sludge in the oil pans when they finally acknowledge a design flaw in their product.
    Their solution to the problem is to spray the weather strip with a silicone spray made by Worth. He did admit the new 2011 Sienna has a totally different door design. I have not seen it yet but if it does that really says it all doesn't it. It does not matter for me as this was my first and last Toyota I will ever buy. I understand from time to time design flaws occur but in this case they dropped the ball by not recognizing it and taking care of their customer. The recent gas pedal problem looks good on them. It is finally bringing light to the bigger problem at Toyota
  • I am going to bring this van to the dealer again next week. I want to find out why my steering wheel is so hard to turn during heavy rain. I have to restart the engine to make it work again. Any people maybe familiar with car can give me some idea. I am really tired of listening to Toyota mechanic B.S. and try to suck your money dry. I will also try to talk to them about the electric door, seat belt problem etc. ( i know they will say it is beyond warranty etc.)

Never Toyota again....
  • I have been to the dealer for the doors. First they froze shut EVERY time it got below 20 degrees. Then the one stopped opening completely. It feels like it won't unlock. They quoted over $800 to fix it. Then they asked if I wanted to buy another Sienna and I told them I was not interested in owning any more Toyota products since they would not stand behind this one.

There are many other complaints on the forum and Toyota is denying that it is a defect in the product. SOmeone suggested we all report the problem to NHTSA
    1200 New Jersey Ave. S.E. Room W45-302
    Washington, DC 20590

I have written to Toyota and to the NHTSA. Please do the same. If there are enough of the same complaints someone has to listen.
  • Both my door cables have snapped. one door I can operate manually the other only opens half way. I have not been able to locate the famous "unfreeze" door button. I have looked for the part (motor and cable because the cable is not sold seperatlly) and I am looking at a min. of 1k. what a rip off. I have taken my car to the dealer several times and the quote goes higher and higher!! I dont know what to do! $3K for replacement (parts and labor) is not a choice!! Have enough people complained in order for Toyota to issue a recall? This is another indication of Toyota's failing QC!
  • I have written to NHTSA, but with no answer from them. I have reported the door problem, seat belt problem, door popping sound problem ( welding problem), Steering wheel is stiffed during heavy rain, it works again when you turn off and restarted the engine again. I took it to independent mechanic , they can not reproduce the problem. This is really scary, you do not know when this going to happen.. in freeway, mountain..

I am going to submit another letter to NHTSA and see what they are going to say.
    Toyota has a lot of lobbying power.... money talks I guess... so sad