Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Sliding Door Problems

Comments

• pamulapamula Posts: 5
    Let me see if we have the same problem-- when you press the button to open it, when it is closed, it tried but does nothing-- you can see it try to move but does nothing.. but when it was open it would hum and try to move foward-- goes about a 8th of a inch and sounds horrid and then stops. Sometimes when it is open, I have to pull the handle and kinda help it a little to get it going but when its closed I just lift up on the handle and it is fine.

I went to a Toyota mechanic today and he told me he thinks the cable that goes to the latch is not on or is stretched out. He said I would have to buy a whole new lock assembly that would be over 200 and with labor it would be a 300 fix. I am hoping this is the case. My husband is in Iraq and this is driving me insane. I m wondering if I should go to the dealer and see if it can be fixed under a TSB. It is so frustrating-- we were out and it was working fine to open it and when my son went to close it, Bam! UGH!!! Please keep me updated, my user name is my email at AOL
  • I am having the same problem. About a week ago my car went into the shop because the sliding door was not working. They told me it was the ACTUATOR- this cost $400- to fix.
    They sent the car back to me and the door was even more broken than before. It did open once but, as it opened, it sounded like there was a piece of paper stuck in the track of the door. After that, it would not open any more AND there was a broken cable sticking out from under the (third row) window.
    Back in it went and today they told me the cable needed to be replaced and it would cost $1100-!!! :surprise: :cry: :mad:
    I Just got off the phone with Customer Service (1-800-331-4331).
    I was pleasantly surprised by how nice they were.
    They documented the history, gave me a CASE #(0904127518)
    and forwarded the case to the Customer Relations Mgr at the dealer we use.
    I just touched base with him (he was not as nice as CS Rep), He said he will review and get back to me.
    I'll let you know how the saga unfolds.
  • Yes, this is the same problem I had. the rear latch is not being released by a cable that is connected to the front latch/handle. There is a small plastic piece that has broken. This pcs allows the door to be locked as well as engages/disengages the child proof switch. Its a poor design. They quoted me $800 CDN for the latch plus installation. My cable broke and they fixed it as part of my extended warranty but failed to address the root cause that being the latch bushing was broke. I have no success in convincing toyota to fix it.
    My door has not worked for the last year. Thank fully I have 1 manually door.!!!
  • pamulapamula Posts: 5
    My locks still work as do the child lock so I don't know if it is the same problem..
  • My Sienna is a 2000 XLE with over 200K miles. Has been very dependable but now have problem with the sliding door. Sometimes doesn't want to shut entirely and sensor beeps indicating it is not shut and the door needs to be manually pushed shut to close. We have locked out the door entirely for the last year so it stays shut but is a pain. Have not taken to a dealership for analysis...have just lived with it. When door shuts in track, sounds like grinding noise. Any ideas? Also, we are evaluating whether to keep the sienna or replace?? Most people say they can be good to 300K miles. Any experience with reliability much above 200K miles/ Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Bruno
  • skijennskijenn Posts: 3
    We had similar closing problems with our door. In our case the rear lock had pulled through the door skin, and 2 of the bolts were missing, so the lock was just floating in place. Toyota wanted me to pay to replace the entire door. I took it to a body shop and they put a small plate in to fix the bolt holes, for $300. I'm going to follow up with Toyota and try to get them to reimburse me.
    I suggest you open the door, and look at the locks from the rear and front to make sure you have not had a similar issue.
    My sienna has 65K, and we've had lots of problems, the door locks, front door was replaced for weld issue, rear door struts, steering column is going and needs to be replaced. I'm not too happy with Toyota and not sure that they are worth the much higher cost. Good Luck.
  • skijennskijenn Posts: 3
    Tillsonburg, thanks for your suggestion. While Toyota was replacing my front door at a local body shop, I had them look at the lock. The body shop charged me $300 to weld a plate in and the door now works. I have noticed that the front lock is missing a bolt, so I guess another trip to Toyota is warranted. I'm going to write to Toyota and complain about all this, and try to get the cost back from them.
  • vadachavadacha Posts: 2
    In January, my 04 Sienna LE passenger side sliding door power door lock failed. II took it to TOYOTA and guess what? over $1000to fix it, I am out from warranty and I am very frustrated out that.I know in fact that lot of people have the same problems. Also, my driver side door stopper/latch broke 3 times, but seems like they had a recall on that, I do know what to do, spoke with Toyota Nat. customer service and filled complaint. I was wondering if I can just make in all manual instead of power, any suggestions? :mad:
  • You guys in the US should consider yourself lucky to pay only about $1,000 to fix your sliding door! One sliding door on my 2004 XLE Limited broke costing Cdn. $2,000 + tax to repair (and that was after the dealer discounted the labor and the parts). Five months later, the second sliding door broke as well. This time, the dealer discounted even more, but it was still Cdn. $1,800 + tax. With tax, I've paid over $4,000 to fix two broken cables -- about 10% of the vehicles original purchase price!!

I called Toyota Canada asking to see if they would help cover some of the costs as a goodwill gesture. A very polite person assigned me a case number and said someone would follow up within a week's time. Sure enough someone did. However, they said "too bad". When I asked them how she would feel about having to pay so much for two broken cables, on what is clearly a design flaw with the door, her response was "In all my years of driving, I have never asked a car company for financial assistance." In other words, she was implying I was a deadbeat begging for money, rather than a dissatisfied client with a legitimate complaint. Clearly if you hire someone like her to ajudicate claims, Toyota Canada will never, ever pay out on any claim, no matter how deserving or warranted.

This was my first Toyota product that I have owned, and it will also be my last. I always thought Toyota had a reputation for quality products and stellar customer service. I guess I was wrong.
  • I had the same problem. Both sides broke within 90 days of each other, each cost $1,700.00 for a total of $3,400!!!! I called the National customer service and complained profusely and was ultimately sent a re-imbursement of $695.00 five months later. I also registered a complain with the US Dept of Transportation and Safety. This is CLEARLY a design flaw but Toyota is not willing to do anything about it.
  • sienna12sienna12 Posts: 2
    I too had my power door fail do to a broken cable. The plastic chipped away causing the cable to become it exposed. It corroded and snapped. I too file a complaint with Toyota in the US. They will not assist in the payment of the 1500 it will cost to repair. All they are doing is documenting the complaints. I have also filed a complaint a few government agencies as well since the door cannot be opened more than 12 to 18 inches it poses a safety threat since no one can exit through that door. My advise is to file a complaint with any vehicle safety agencies in your country if possible. The more places this defect is documented the better.
  • sienna12sienna12 Posts: 2
    The cable on my 2004 toyota sienna corroded and snapped. I file a complaint with Toyota and they the only thing they are doing right now is documenting complaints. I also filed a complaint with the Auto Safety Hot line and the Center for Auto Safety. I recommend filing a complaint with these places as well. The more places and the more people who document this defect the better.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    File a complaint here, with the Office of Defects Investigation:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

If they see a pattern they can force a recall.
  • cheranecherane Posts: 8
    THANK YOU for the link to file a complaint which I promply did.

I also put 'safty issues' regarding the side air sac. If the sliding door doesn't work then my thoughts are the safty air bags are deflunk as well.
    I put two.
    the thing that gets me is I only had 17 thousand miles on my 2006 at the time the door stopped woking. to even look at it they wanted over hundred bucks.

I bought toyota since the middle eighties.. brand new since 1991..now I'm approaching age of who knows when anothe rnew car will come my way. I have bought brand spanking new toyotas..you can make a bet this will not happen again.
  • sallyg1sallyg1 Posts: 3
    We are having problems with our Toyota Sienna 2006 sliding doors. They never worked properly since we bought the vehicle. They were repaired in 2007 but never really worked properly and now they are frozen. The warranty has expired. My problem with Toyota is that this is a manufacturer's defect that should be fixed at their cost. One thing I can say for sure is I won't ever get another Toyota because they don't look after their customers when it is their defective product.
    What does it take for Toyota to recall the Sienna with with door problems?
    This problem existede since 2004 going into 2006
    And why isn't there a class action suit since so many people have problems?
    I must disagree with you on this. If you have to exit this vehicle in an Emergency would you say it is safe and efficient for your passengers to do so with the two side door frozen. What if either of those two doors were the only way your family could have exited that vehicle and it was frozen shut? I even read in one of these messages that the air bags would not function if the doors are dysfunctional.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    But you know the defect was there before you placed your kids in the car to begin with! It would not be prudent to use the car once you know both doors aren't working.

The safe thing to do is to stop using the van and get the dealer to fix the doors.

I agree that Toyota should be paying for many of these, and the burden shoud be on them to prove it was mis-used if that's what they contend.

Click the link above and file a complaint. If there is truly a pattern of failures and enough people complain NHTSA can force Toyota to address the issue.

If not enough people complain, then shame on us. Or perhaps there aren't enough problems to form a pattern that NHTSA will recognize.
  • 2 of the 3 bolts on the rear latch of the manual rear door have pulled through the sheet metal and left nice clean holes. Now the rear latch will not latch. Considering how thin the metal is here, I am surprised I have not seen any other posts on this. I plan to just put big washers under the bolts. Has anyone heard of a solution from Toyota?
  • I am hoping someone has a solution other than take it to the dealer. I don't believe I've seen this addressed here yet.
    My driver's side manual sliding door is not allowing me to open it. I can use either the power lock/unlock or manual to unlock the door, but when I try to open the door, it just locks again. I have opened the door while physically holding the door lock button in the unlocked position while trying to open from the outside, but less than a 10% success rate. I've given up even trying anymore. It's been like this for about two weeks.
    I did read one post regarding cleaning the contacts, but I haven't had the oppty yet.
    Any suggestions? I feel I'm starting to be nickeled and dimed after several other costly repairs. I bought it new 7 yrs. ago this week. Thanks.