Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Sliding Door Problems

Comments

• singh05singh05 Posts: 1
    I bought a Toyota Sienna CE 06 and has manual sliding door. But I am interested in converting them into automatic doors. Has anyone tried converting them ? What is reliability of door motors. Are you satisfied with the change. Please suggest and share your experience .
  • dunkin2dunkin2 Posts: 5
    I called the NHTSA to complain about the issue. It just really breaks my heart that they can't fix this problem. There has been 30 registered complaints at NHTSA, so if you are having this same problem please take the time and voice your complaints
  • Dunkin, can you provide a contact number for NHTSA?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    You've come to a Problems thread, so all you will hear are complaints, naturally.

NHTSA's ODI (Office of Defects Investigation) link is here:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

Go there to file a complaint. If they see a pattern, i.e. enough people complain, a manufacturer will be forced to do a recall.
  • I am having the same problem with the rear lock being pulled through the door skin. The dealer also wants to replace the entire door. Do you know if the locking mechanism can be replaced? Do you have an idea on the cost of labor and parts to take the door apart and install a new rear lock.
  • sopmansopman Posts: 46
    I have a 2006 Sienna. My back door is manual on the drivers side. When I open the door it will not latch. There's a lever that stays open and hit something before the door can open completely and latch. I can't figure out what closes that latch to close. You can move the latch assembly by loosing the bolts, but it hasn't helped.
    Can someone help?

Sopman
  • owegoowego Posts: 3
    Both sliding doors (manual) on my 2006 Sienna (60K miles) are next to impossible to open from the interior side. Sometimes, if I snap the handle back quickly, the door will unlatch. This problem started about a year ago and has gotten progressively worse. The outside latches are difficult to operate too but will eventually get the doors open. (They certainly don't operate like my neighbor's Odyssey). I'm now very uncomfortable with having passengers who may not be able to get out of the van without outside assistance. This is a potential safety hazard. I've posted this problem on the NHTSA site.

I think the problem is within the latch mechanism. Maybe it just need lubricant. Neither door gets much use, especially the driver side slider. It surprises me that both started failing at the same time. Leads me to believe that something has aged out, like lubricant or a rubber part.
  • vern54vern54 Posts: 3
    Lubrication is worth a try. On my 04 Sienna it didn't work. I found that the plastic coating on the latch that is located in the door that is supposed to fasten itself around the u shaped striker on the door frame was sticking. Not because of lack of lubrication but because the plastic coating had swelled up from rust buildup inside itself. I think Toyota plastic coated them to make them quiter. But unless you made the latch out of something that wont rust, once it wears through the plastic, rust builds up and swells up the latch and no amount of lube will help.
    Another problem is the door seals they freeze up in the winter and also stick on hot days. Actually when doors fail to open, they present a danger to passengers in the rear if an emergency bailout is necessary. I have had the doors appear to be latched and then start driving down the road and the door open warning light comes on. Not great when you have young children in back. And it appears the cause is not that the door isn't shut properly but that the latches don't fully latch.
  • vulcan4vulcan4 Posts: 12
    For me it was the door seals on both of the sliding side doors.
    In winter they would freeze shut, you could not open them.

I had lubricate put on that did not work, they Dealer changed door seal 2 or 3 times, finally they replaced seals with ones from "CAnada" I guess it colder up there.
    Anyway after 5 or 6 trips to dealer I finally got it fixed.
  • I have a 2009 sienna both driver and passenger sliding doors are manual and when you open them they will not stay open most of the time. Its like the spot were they slid into and lock locks before the door is their. It is very annoying and somewhat painful to have the doors keep sliding on you while you are trying to load kids and other things into the van. We have taken it to the dealer twice, (we have only had it 6 months) and of course the doors work perfectly fine at the shop and as soon as I get home from the shop they wont stay open. They say they can't fix what they can't see. I feel that it is pretty obvious that the sensors in the door are not working. We paid extra for all the stupid warrenties. I wish they would just fix it. Is anybody else having a similar problem?
    Are you parked at an angle? If so try to replicate that at the dealer.
  • My 2004 Sienna sliding door is designed not to latch open if the window in the door is open. I found it in the users manual. Was the window closed when you were at the dealer?
  • opticzopticz Posts: 1
    Wow, I thought I was the only person with a sliding door lock problem!
    This is obviously a safety hazard. God forbid someone is injured or dies, I think Toyota will have a class action negligence lawsuit on their hands.

I've contacted the NHTSA and also e-mailed my concerns to Toyota.
    I suggest you all do the same!
  • sopmansopman Posts: 46
    Please send me the info to contact NHTSA.
    Also, was it your local Toyota dealer you emailed?
    File yours here:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

If enough people have the same problem, we'll see a recall.
  • "The power sliding door does not move, whether open or closed, using either driver's ceiling button or the button on the door frame or the FOB. The motors hum and try to open/close the door but can't. I believe the door latch is not releasing the door, but once I delatch the door manually it starts working, Is it possible that the door lock actuator failed?"

Have you found any info on this problem or its resolution?

I have the exact same problem. The motor works fine once I pull the handle which detaches the latch. If I push any of the buttons, the motor tries to go but the door does not delatch.

I took off the trim and opened up both doors. I can see that the one that works has what seems to be an actuator that makes a noise while it releases the latch. The broken door's "actuator" is not moving nor making a noise.

I don't know if the actuator is bad or maybe there is a "disconnect" in the system that tells it to activate. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
  • vanmom8vanmom8 Posts: 1
    I have read quite a few of the posts on sliding door problems and am entering this point right now with my 05 Sienna. I would like to prevent as much trouble as possible while spending the least amount of money, naturally. The dealer quoted me a price of several hundred dollars to "clean" the tracks of the doors. I declined until I could look into it further. They plan on removing parts of the door; I would not, but just wondered how much of the cleaning I could do myself and if this is really a maintanance job that an owner should be expected to do. My doors can't be a dirty as those of families with very small children as I have seen lots of vans full of cereal, cracker crumbs etc. I have the extended warranty and could just let the motors fail, but that seems a little ridiculous. I could just pay to have the dealer do the cleaning, but after reading so many posts and not hearing any that spoke about cleaning I wonder if this is really the problem. Can anyone share what they know?
  • I agree with "fix it again" - believe it or not - the sienna (i have an '05) is designed so that the sliding doors won't lock open if the windows are open. I had taken it in a couple of times when the windows were closed but the service people couldn't reproduce the problem. It wasn't until a friend of mine pointed out that it was designed that way so a kid wouldn't be decapitated if the window were open that it all made sense to me. Try it - if the windows are closed, then it is indeed a real problem.
  • I've read this forum and seen similarities from what I'm posting but it's not clear if it's the same for each of you. I have a 2005 Sienna. About a year ago, one of the sliding doors (manual) started acting as if the child safety lock was on SOME of the time. Could only open it from the outside. Now it's in both doors MOST of the time. PLUS sometimes it won't even open from the outside. This is a disaster waiting to happen.
    I hate these SOMETIMES problems....
    I have power doors, so I'm not sure, but are there in fact child safety locks on those?

I'd use lithium grease on the locks and latches, try that first.

I also wonder if there is some safety device keeping the door from opening if the fuel door is open? I'd look for that mechanism as well, especially if you're talking the driver's side (that's where the fuel door is).