Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Sliding Door Problems

Comments

• I have an '04 Sienna XLE AWD with about 68k miles on it. I will admit that i drive it hard, but i am having problems that i dont think should happen to a car that is only five years old.
    First, similar to above it takes about three seconds of turning the key for the car to turn on. Is this a problem or just something i have to live with?

Second. I live in Virginia, and it has been on and off cold here the last few days. Today it snowed. Tonight and in the past cold days when i have gone out to the car to open the doors (rear sliding) they have been unable to open. Whether the electric is on or off, the door will what seems like unhitch, and then it will not open or close. The problem is that i can not lock the car because the car thinks the door is open - or if it thinks it closed, lets me lock the car and eventually the alarm goes off when it thinks the door is open. I would think this is a problem caused by the cold, but i have taken the car to vermont on many occasions during the winter (in colder conditions) and never had this problem, even when the car has sat for longer.

I am looking for a suggestion on how to go about handling this. I believe the car is under extended warranty until 70k miles.
  • Both of the sliding doors on my 2002 sienna are giving me problems.

The manual door is locked from inside. I can open it from outside but not from inside (tho sometimes the lock switch mysteriously falls down on its own and it takes several tries over a period of hours to get it to unlock from outside also). The dealers tell me they need to take the door off at a cost of $100 to diagnose the problem, and then who knows what they'll come up with once they have me there. Has anyone had experience with this problem -- how was it fixed?

I know there are 3 other doors (no inside release from the rear lift door) but I'm giving this one to my daughter and want it to be extra safe.

I also have problems with the automatic door -- occasionally it will balk at closing, whether I use any button or pull on it; if I disable the auto button, it won't close manually either. I've been reading suggestions here and am kind of overwhelmed by the options.

We're looking for a new car and it's not going to be a Toyota!
  • have same van in Ontario same problem. Tried all sorts of lubricants no resolve. Toyota dosn't want to help. This is very annoying and a safety issue. Very unhappy with Toyota. There are just like Ford I am always the only one that has that problem
    Anyone have any luck with Toyota or magic potion !
  • My doors are froozen for 4 months out of the year. None of my neighbours vans have that problem not Sienna vans.Our van is in a garage but we have to drive it and at our destination it sits outside....... If Toyota replaced some weather stripping they know they have a problem. We have fullsize chev vans at work no doors freeze unless there is an ice storm. It is ridicoulus that they freeze up and we cannot use them all winter.
    Bought Toyota for a reason reliability not to impressed with them so far

Cheers
  • I have a 2004 Sienna XLE. Today its sliding door cable snapped...

Contacted Dealer and approximate cost to fix is about $600.00

After reviewing this website i feel like it could be a manufactures defect.
  • Hi carol.

Saw your blog but not much there. Sold my 04 Sienna to my daughter and now they have this problem with the doors freezing in Winter. They refuse to drive the van in winter as it is a safety problem. Have you had any further success or failure and what is your status with the dealer??

ps I live in Tillsonburg too. :(
  • The same happened to our 2004 Sienna XLE today! I will be contacting Toyota and I hope you will do the same! I also have a problem with the alloy wheels pitting......Toyota would not do anything about that. This was my first Toyota purchase. It has been a bad experience from the beginning........never again.
  • Our doors have frozen shut as well on our 2004 Sienna XLE. I have had to replace both door cables as they have both snapped. This cost me approximately $3,400.00. I blame part of the failure of the cables to the fact that the doors have frozen and the excessive force that has been put on the cables trying to open frozen doors. I also have excessive pitting on the allow wheels. I have contacted Toyota several times without success. Have you had any luck?
  • riccicriccic Posts: 1
    mine is a 2004 sienna. the doors have frozen up every winter. today my daughter (120lbs)
    pulled on a stuck frozen door. it was minus 15C. the cable snapped. the dealer said 1700 dollars plus and no help from toyota. THIS IS A KNOWN PROBLEM WITH THE DOOR DESIGN AND TOYOTA CHOOSES TO HIDE>

Make my next minivan a CHRYSLER> I had far fewer problems with my Caravan ES.
  • fudbugfudbug Posts: 3
    Maybe no recall, but there are problems with the 2007. Our 07 Sienna has different one. The drivers side slider doesn't latch. This makes the interior lights stay on, thus killing the battery. Even with the light switch shut off it kills the battery because it senses the door is open an tries to draw the door closed all night. Toyota "fixed" the problem once still under warranty. about 30k miles . The next time it wasn't, and were told that it could be two different things, one might cost about $35o and the other about $800. The problem is the had to take it apart to see which one it was. Am I alone with this problem?
    The drivers side rear slider doesn't latch. This makes the interior lights stay on, thus killing the battery. Even with the light switch shut off it kills the battery because it senses the door is open an tries to draw the door closed all night. Toyota "fixed" the problem once still under warranty. about 30k miles . The next time it wasn't, and were told that it could be two different things, one might cost about $350 and the other about $800. Problem is they had to take it apart to see which one it was. Am I alone with this problem?
  • I have the exact same problem on my 2005 Sienna. I can physically push on the outside of the door and the warning light will blink off and on as I apply and release pressure to the door.

It seems like a sensor switch is engaging and disengaging.

Have you found a solution?
  • I just posted that I had the same problem with my 2005 Sienna. I located the sensor switch and thought it wasn't being fully depressed when the door closed. I added a small pad to the door to depress the switch further and it still didn't work. So I did some further investigation.

It turns out that there are 3 mounting screws at the back of the door that hold the latching mechanism in place. All 3 screws were loose. Once I tightened them the problem was solved. It requires a star head screwdriver which luckily I had.

Hope this helps. Better than $800+ repair.
  • Hi,
    I live in Alaska and have a 2005 Sienna XLE. The first two years I had the vehicle there were no problems but starting last year, my sliding doors also froze shut. I took it to my Toyota dealer and was told "it's just a design flaw in the vehicle". I was told to wipe the doors down with a towel after it snowed or I was at the car wash and then spray everything with WD40 or Silicone. I've tried both and neither work. Luckily I don't have kids and just have resigned myself to not using the doors a good portion of the winter, which is ridiculous. Now, my gas latch is also freezing up and this morning I had to take my car to the car wash to unfreeze the side gas latch so I could get gas. Toyota should be ashamed since these vehicles aren't cheap!
  • I'm the person from Alaska, and my father is retired. I forwarded this list to him and he called the Department of Transportation's Auto Safety Hotline.He and was told everyone should file a complaint and that the problems would be investigated. For what it's worth the phone number is: 1-888-327-4236. Toyotas are not cheap vehicles and they shouldn't make us go through this. In my case my husband had a wheelchair because he was a brain tumor patient. It was horrible not to be able to open the side doors of the Sienna. Kathy
  • vern54vern54 Posts: 3
    I posted my problems a year ago. I had all the same problems. Sticking doors, broken cabels, sensors in doors that don't work properly. Doors that seem to be secure and then the door not properly secure light, comming on while I'm driving down the road with the kids in back. My biggest worry was the doores not being secure and no indication of it. I found that the problem began in the mechinisum that grabs the metel loop that is connected into the door frame. The c shaped latch is covered with a plastic coating which when worn or damaged allows moisture in and the metel clamp swells up and binds the latch. No amount of lubrication helps. This would give me a false reading that all the doors were latched.....but while driving down the road the door not properly secure light would come on. Toyota made a big mistake by plastic coating a metel that would rust and swell up the outer coating from the inside making the latch not function properly. I feel this led to other problems like broken cabels and locks not working properly. Because if the latch itself is binding up when you try to release it and when you try to lock it. Well after all that I am glad to say, a couple of months ago the Toyota Sienna went by by and we now have a KIA Sedonia. You guies need to file the complaint to the department of transportation safety division. Only you can get Toyota to fix it.
    Did you have the dead battery problem too? I'm in New England so that doesn't help.
    It's only 2 1/2 years old so I would think it wouldn't be an issue
  • My 04 Sienna has the freezing, latching and snapped power door cable issues. Apparently the local parts wholesaler (a Toyota dealer) has refused to give my mechanic any information on the parts. Two dealerships have quoted $3000 and $1700 per door (one for the old replacement, one for TSB 0085-09 - in that order). The first dealer wouldn't even acknowledge that the TSB existed.

I've logged the complaint with the NTSB. There are definitely safety issues, not the least of which are the doors not closing or latching open completely and the "door open" indicator not recognizing when the broken power door is open.

Toyota national consumer help line opened a case and promised to call back, but never did - it's been more than six months.
  • jjllcaljjllcal Posts: 31
    I really hate toyota now.. I was a toyota man... Not Anymore...
    We have so much problems with this van, I consider it is a lemon....
    List of problem
    1) Gas lick (flooded) after replacing the fuel tank.. took them 2 weeks to fix.
    2) Driver side front door has popping sound - welding problem- initially they refuse to fix until the recall got in.
    3) Driver side sit belt not easily release - wants $300 to fix .. Safty issue? Not fix yet.
    4) Steering wheel arm cushion broke - bad for driving and aligment- cost $700.00
    5) Passenger automatic door broke - require 800+ to fix claiming motor problem. took it to a independent auto shop , fix it for $200.00. The cushion of the arm that hold the door worn off and therefore the door is scratching the side of the car.
    6) the most current one... I do not know whether it is related to rain or not.
    it happen 2 times last week, It is very hard to turn my steering wheel when I am in drive mode, have to restart the car to solve this problem.

Do any of you have the last problem.. I am very afraid what will happen if I am driving on freeway.