Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Sliding Door Problems

Comments

• oharak25oharak25 Posts: 1
    This is a great post. Thanks for letting me know of a less expensive way to fix the issue. I was told by the Toyota dealer that it would be $2600 to replace the door and that was the only way it could be fixed!!
    I see this post is from 2009. Has this continued to work for you? You probably already sold your van and got a Honda!!!
    I called customer service and received a case number. I'm still waiting to hear back from the Customer Service manager as I was told that he/she may be able to assist me. I sure hope so. I was hoping that this would be a recall. This door of mine is not automatic and is used very infrequently. It just does not make sense to me that both bolts could rust out at the exact same time, perfect circles. Seems like a factory defect. If nothing else, there should be a way to fix this issue without having to replace the entire door... crazy.
    Anyway, thanks for posting this information as I think that I may have to try your solution.
  • klimistklimist Posts: 5
    I just read this article today on Yahoo Finance and it talks in the 14th and 15th paragraph about a woman who owns a 2004 Sienna and her sliding door failed and now she is not interested in buying a new Sienna or any other Toyota for that matter. Wake up Toyota!!!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Toyota-faces-skeptics-as-apf-1233530185.html?x=0
  • cheranecherane Posts: 8
    I finanlly found a dealer who took care of me with a rental for the week and fixing my drivers door that has been under warrenty. I have twenty seven thousand miles on my 2006 XLE.. I had seven thousand when the sliding door went.. I walked into the dealership to be told to go where I purchased the auto.
    I don't know what I would have done had I had to go through this to fix the drivers door for it called for a 'whole new door' and a rental for over a week.

You can count on my not getting a toyota.. again and my last three 'brand new cars have been toyota' top of the line tooo.. as the cressida and now this.. xle sienna. I'm an older lady to have all these parts falling apart is rediculous...
    How about printing all of these complaints out and taking them into the dealership or sending to the manufacture? :sick:
  • fxguyfxguy Posts: 132
    Any concrete info on the doors on the 2011 model? Did Toyota make improvements to them so that they can be fixed for cheaper than older models if something goes wrong?
  • 2005 Sienna xle. 46,500 miles. Replaced the driver's side sliding door motor a month after the warranty ended -- $1,800 (after I negotiated it down!!). Huntington Toyota (NY) did the work. The door is now broken for the second time -- 14 months after replacing it. How on earth could this happen? I go to the dealer tomorrow and will post the details of how they reslolve the issue.
  • cheranecherane Posts: 8
    :lemon: I thought I found this link to our stories, now I cannot find it to write my story about my toyota sliding door. Anyone else see this web page so we can write our complaints?

Please direct me to it.
    cherane
  • macdukepmacdukep Posts: 14
    I will be VERY interested to hear what the excuse is this time! I have one door down and the other one is starting to go. I have a 2005 Sienna with non electric doors and Toyota is to their story that it is OUR problem.... Well it will become THEIR problem when prior owners do not recommend their car. I won't buy another one. Every time they send me a satisfaction survey I tell them the same thing over and over yet they don't move to correct the problem or satisfy the customer.
  • Note that is not the other door but the very same door that they repaired less than a year ago (driver's side sliding door). We like to keep our cars for 8 years or so, but I am wondering if we should sell before the other door goes and costs us another 2 grand. PS we have also had problems with the fuses involving power steering and gear shifts, and the power locks have failed. And don't get me started on the run flat tires....
  • jjllcaljjllcal Posts: 31
    My mechanic told me even you replace the entire assembly, it will give you
    the same problem( it is a matter of time), because it is the design and the
    material that they use in this assembly that screw up. I heard that the
    new sienna use entirely different design. Why change it, if it does not hav
    e problem right...... there got to be problem with the old design... I was
    thinking to keep the sienna for least 8 years, but i might have to
    turn it in early because lately there are noises from the front when I bre
    ak on a down hill road. It is not the break. I can not reproduce it execpt
    in a 45 degree down hill road. Maybe something is loose or broke again
    I would not be surprise it is another washer cushion or something
    as worn off again. Small stuff that cost a lot of money to fix with this van. Another money pit.
  • inspectoringinspectoring Posts: 102
    Just wanted to give an insight into my experience - I was about to buy the car and we realized that one of the doors was not working - it could be opened from inside manually but when using the automatic button located on the driver's side and the key - it would just stutter and not opened. Dealer called me and told me they had fixed the problem but my wife would not approve. I just discovered this thread and am rethinking our purchase. Given the door problems and the company's image - I am really not certain !
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I would not get that particular van by any means, but...

To put this in perspective, the prices paid thread has 10,413 posts, and this thread has 418. So it's not like every van purchased has this problem.

Knocking on wood. ;)

PS the power doors are my favorite feature
  • scottm23scottm23 Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 that thankfully only has (had) one power sliding door. Great feature when dropping kids off at elementary school. Not so necessary now that they are older. Anyways, I used the TSB referenced in post #146 (give or take a couple posts) as a guide. Here is the link:

http://toyota.justanswer.com/uploads/snd27613/2008-07-17_221901_sienna_door_inop- _tsib.pdf

Because the motor still worked a little, I thought it may be the hinge so I ordered the hinge and bracket ($124 with tax) and installed them on Saturday. Still had the same problem. The cost of the motor is listed online at $840. I made the decision to turn it into a manual door which took about 20 minutes and saved me $840. If you want to go this route (while you decide whether you want to spend the money to get the motor replaced) here is what you need to do. I am referencing steps in the TSB

1. Follow step 4 - Remove end rail moulding (this is at the end of the track at the rear of the van under the back windows.

2. Follow step 5 - Remove center bracket No. 2. which is under the moulding you just removed.

3. Follow step 6 - Remove center bracket No. 1 which is at the other end of the track almost inside the van.

At this point you should have two cable dangling in front of you. They are attached to the van at the hinge and go into the upper clutch assembly for the door. you can see the full picture in step 9 of the TSB.

4. I took wire cutters and cut the two ends of the cable right at the door hinge.

5. Replace the rear bracket (it holds the moulding too.)

6. Replace the moulding.

The front hinge is optional. Save it somewhere in case you want to replace the motor.

I had a fully functioning manual door. you may want to remove the fuse for the door motor just in case somebody pushes the button. not sure what would happen then.

This may or may not work for you and I make no claim that this is a good idea. But it is an alternative to a costly repair if you can live without the power feature and seems to be working for me. Good luck!
  • liaisonliaison Posts: 47
    I have read many of the posts on the passenger doors but have not seen anything on the power lift gate. My problem is the rear lift gate will start going down but then will reverse itself as is something is impeding the process. I wonder if anyone else has encountered this problem. I have a 2004 XLE.
  • bvmurphybvmurphy Posts: 3
    There's a recall on the liftgate. The Toyota dealer should fix it for you for free.
  • zone10zone10 Posts: 2
    Do you think it's hard to replace a new motor($840)? Is this something I can do at home? Where can I buy the new motor? One seller won't sell it to me because he said it's hard to install. He only sells to the dealership. Any advice would be greatly appreciate.
  • scottm23scottm23 Posts: 4
    Can it be done at home? Yes, I did it in my garage. Well, I had the whole door off and lying on the floor and could have popped out the old motor and put in the new one but chose not to spend the money. If you are only replacing the motor and not the hinge you shouldn't even need to take the door all the way off of the tracks.

Can you do it at home? Not sure because I don't know you. Although I have a "corporate job" now and don't get my hands dirty on a regular basis, my uncle owned a transmission shop when I was growing up and I worked for him summers doing engines and transmissions (and some body work) so I have above average mechanical ability.

If the idea of paying somebody to change your brakes and rotors is a foreign concept to you or you don't think twice about digging around under the hood when something isn't right then you should be able to do it.

The basic idea of the repair is to remove all the window trim, remove the window, remove the inner panel, remove the motor and lock assembly inside the door, pop out the motor, replace the motor, put everything back together. Draw pictures of wiring harness and the 5 or 6 cables you need to disconnect inside the door so you get everything back together where it goes. Draw a picture of the upper cable pulley and clutch to make sure it is installed correctly.

My opinion is that you can open and close a door manually a lot of times before it makes sense to spend $800 on something that will probably break again anyways. But, if you have small children and the door is a needed feature then it may be worth it to you.

Hope that helps...
  • socal13socal13 Posts: 14
    Hi,
    We replaced the upper and middle right hand side sliding power door hinge on my 2004 Sienna LE. Cost of both hinges was about $110.00. My friend and followed the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) in post 146. We didn't have to replace the motor/cable assembly. The door started to rub against the quarter panel due to a worn bushing in the middle hinge. We did take the door completely off the van. Make sure you label the wiring and have sliding door window rolled up all the way when re-installing. I saved $500.00 in labor by doing it ourselves. My friend is a BMW auto body man. Another option is to speak to a Toyota certified body shop vs. the dealer body shop. Some dealers outsource their bodywork.
  • zone10zone10 Posts: 2
    Your messages are very helpful. Thank you so much!!!
  • fourkidsfourkids Posts: 1
    I had the same problem, check and see, mine was fixed for free at a toyota dealership, it was part of a recall! good luck.
  • rich6913rich6913 Posts: 1
    there is a stop that is only letting the door open half way, there is a cable that hooks to it and goes to the rear of the van. What is it?