Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Sliding Door Problems

Comments

• As for arbitration and lemon law, when a person buys a new car, the car manufacturer sells them the car indicating that it will last 3 yrs 36,00 miles or whatever, and they buy that car on a TRUST basis by putting down xx,xxx amount of money on the spot or paid over the years to the bank.

Regardless, the car manufacturer gets their money THERE and THEN, with no need to proceed to arbitration or lemon law or other legal hassles on their side, so why isn't it the same for the consumer? Because we consumers individually have limited buying power and the car manufacturer has a lot, hence whoever has the most loot has the most clout and wins?

How come the car manufacturer does not have to go through fire to get their money? Can someone tell me this?

When buying a new car, the car maker and the dealers say basically that this is "THE" car for Mr or Mrs .X, they collude together to sell something that has been put hot out of the oven without proper testing just to make it to market before their competitor does, and that way to make a quick profit. Then, when the item is defective, they fold their hands, sit back and say sorry, can't help you; or, go to arbitration to get your money back or whatever. That's total nonsense. Something is sold with the full knowledge that it may or may not work - is that even ethical anywhere?

We consumers are fools to buy it, that's for sure. The idea is, whatever we put out, fools will rush in to lap it up, so why bother. That's the complacency Toyota is showing.

We thought a Congressional or Senate investigation is usually enough for a man to shape up his act. Nothing seems enough for Toyota.

With those pedal situations, come to think of it, those people have been murdered by plain simple negligence. They innocently put their trust in a company that simply does not care. Someone should be putting Toyota on trial for that.

Why should I go through arbitration and deal with Toyota-paid lawyers who will obviously rule in favor of their paycheck? Just because I bought a faulty car doesn't make me that stupid.

And when selling me that car, Toyota didn't make me sign any extra paperwork that said this car could be a lemon, who knows, and in that case, please be prepared to go car-less for 30 days before dumb you, your $200/hour lawyer (or even worse, advocacy group with lengthy waiting periods to get in for an initial consulation) can send us a letter about how the car is a lemon and the lemon law should apply and then we can send a return letter that MAYBE, we'll see, etc etc blah, and THEN after another 10 days has passed before we can start discussions about getting a replacement possibly, and another 20 days will pass before the company starts to consider our request for a refund and then another 30 days has passed before we finally get a replacement or refund. Don't forget to factor in that "corporate check processing" time (which conveniently never seems to apply when it's your check they're cashing), and all that time going back and forth with the snail mail/email/whatever to get the legal work over with - IF you're lucky enough to get a refund.

If you don't go the lawyer route and decide to do things yourself, or you do both the legal and your own legwork, in all that time, you have to be calling a generic company 1-888 number that puts you on hold forever, and deal with case managers who either don't answer or are out and 90% of the time you don't even get their voicemail so you have to leave a message with "Toyota Customer CARE" (ha!), and even then you still have to be the one calling them back to check on the status of your case.

You're working? Hey, I have a job too. I'm not just sitting around to deal with all this runaround all day. My time means money too, not just Toyota's.

Nowhere did Toyota tell me when I bought this car, that I might need to wait a whole half-year to get what I paid for. They didn't wait more than a few hours to get my money, I have to wait 3-6 months? Wow. Car manufacturers don't tell you this, and they expect you to shut up and take it? That's rape.

And no, this doesn't just apply to my situation, this applies to anybody who's buying a new car.

I'm yelling and screaming bloody murder, hell yes, I a right to. I'm not interested in being another Toyota statistic thank you vey much.

A defective new car within it's warranty period and all Toyota can do is "fix" it?? B.S. And then they want us to take that car down the road and kill someone with it???

Hell NO!

And how the heck they sold me that extended warranty shamefacedly beats me. It's as if they're saying this is the next best thing to sliced bread and here's our seal on it, we're THAT good.

Hey, don't sell me something that makes no sense whatsoever.

More fool me for buying it.
  • Last thing, the dealer is replacing our fine hopefully, that's all well and good.

But I'm not the only toyota consumer. There are lots of innocent people out there with cars still under warranty who are having to eat the cost of their repairs, whose insurance costs are going up because of those repairs (I'm not talking about accidents here where drivers are at fault or problems caused by car owners themselves), or who have bought new cars and are experiencing "little" problems or are getting runarounds for major ones. Why have all these people had to shell out their hard-earned money for something that doesn't work? What did they do wrong?

They bought a Toyota, Japanese-quality, Japanese hoshin-kanri whatever, expecting the quality they paid for.

If something has gone wrong with the quality, if there is something faulty, tell us plain and simple. Lower your prices to fall in line with something that stinks. Your principles have already been lowered, lower buyer expectations as well so that they know who and what they have to deal with. Then a person can say, hey, I'm getting what I paid for. Then Toyota won't be getting any complaints because then they will be in a position to say, this is what you paid for, this is what you get.

Until then, don't dare make a grab for our money, and don't you dare call your minivan a "family-friendly" (hence safe) vehicle to be in.
  • I have a 2004 Sienna. After we get gas each time we have to push the button inside the gas cap area and slide the door all the way open then back afterwhich we can close the gas cap cover. I think over time something is not pushing the button all the way down which released the door. I believe that the sliding door thinks the gas cap cover not the gas cap is still open. When this technique does not work we will deal with the dealership
  • Care to share where did you get the hinge?
    The driver's side sliding door hinge in our 2005 LE is falling apart and we want to replace it before the door falls out. But I'm having trouble finding the part.

Thanks!
  • I ordered mine from the local Toyota dealer.
  • shm2010shm2010 Posts: 1
    My 2006 Sienna XLE LTD sliding door closes with a funny noise.The mechanic said it's a motor problem and needs to take it back to the dealer. Want to know if anybody has similar problem and fix before taking it to the dealer.
  • i had the same issue,toyota in lancaster, ma got warranty covered on door motor,however thy wouldnt cover the hindge$110.00 plus tax, they have had my van for 9 days,most of what was convincing toyota that i bought the platnum coverage(peace of mind) and expected something done,in the certified platnum,whats covered section it says sliding door covered period....toyota makes a good vehicle for the most part,but i hear now they have the most difficult warranty dept ever.....good luck
  • I am having the same problem. The Dealer told me that it was a loose bolt. After about a week, it started again. The problem was be reproduced just by locking the door and opening with the handle.
  • Sienna_andy, Thanks so much for you posting. I was able to fix my 2005 Sienna with the part you suggest. I went to the dealership and they were able to sell the motor for only $80. They updated the part for 2008 and hopefully the changes will make the next one last longer.

For those attempting the fix on your own, I found you don't need to remove the window, but you do need to disconnect the 2 bottom bolts that are accessed by remove the rubber covers. After you disconnect the window, you can lean the whole assembly out to get to the screws. I used a cheap glass suction cup to keep the window from falling down and that worked great. My other surprise was that the 2 screws holding the motor on wouldn't come out no matter what, they just stripped, I tried a extractor but they kept stripping. I ended up just cutting them from the front using a dremel (it easy to see how to do this if you already have the new part). I had to run to the parts store to get some screws, I should have picked a couple up from the dealership when I was there buying the motor. The screws are M4 x.7 and ~25mm long. With the run to the parts store it took me a little over 2 hours.

Door works great and the wife is happy with her Toyota again.
  • 9/12/10 at 58,400 miles my driver's side cable snapped. Now the fight with Toyota starts. The remaining cable become locked so the door would not close so I grabbed my wire cutters and cut it. The kids are now not allowed to use it so they can only use the passenger side door.
  • I'm in the same boat with my '04. This van has been miserable to own. Both doors are shot and only one now opens - albeit without the snapped cable. My 1993 Ford Ranger was of better quality. I was blown-off by Toyota's national call line. The dealer MAY be willing to help you out but it depends how much you have spent there in the past on service - I was told this directly by a service manager in the past...

I was disappointed to see the cable system carried over into 2011. This for me is a deal breaker when we replace the Toy.
  • Home inspection is really helpful to those who are going to purchase new home.. home inspector helps you in
    purchasing home by telling the current condition of the home!! http://equityinspection.com//
    site helps you a lot in doing this work!!
  • I'm planning to buy a used 2nd gen Sienna, how can I test/what should I look for on the doors to be sure there isn't a problem?
  • I hope someone can help with me with this. The cable snapped on the driver's side power sliding door a while ago so since then we've been opening the two doors manually.

More recently however the passenger side door refuses to open at all.

We've tried the lock lever in both positions and tried opening it from both the inside and the outside with no luck. In desperation we even re-enabled the power door function. With this we can hear the lock release and, what sounds like, the door trying to open, but it remains closed.

I haven’t approached the dealer on this yet because I’m afraid it will be an expensive fix.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks.
  • Sounds like the same problem I had.
    There are 2 latches that need to be released. 1 at the front and 1 at the rear. Which latch are you hearing release? When my door would not open, the rr latch was not being released and the door would try to cycle open but couldnt. I ended up opening the door by prying the cover open (where the window switch is) Once you get this open you can use a screw driver and manually push the cable that releases the rear door latch. Then you can take the 2 screws out on the edge of the door that hold this cover in place.
    Look at this assembly and you will see 2 white plastic bushings. The top more visible 1 is for the child lock, The bottom 1, which is hidden, is for the door lock and is probably broken and when the door tries to open the lever is not being moved because of this. This assembly is around $600 plus installation. I repaired my own by machining a replacement aluminum bushing. Took a couple of hrs and saved me the $1,200 the dealer quoted to fix it. If you have an email I can send you a photo of the assembly unless you know how I can post attachments here.
  • Send an email to amendld@gmail.com and I can send you some photos and some info from the manual
  • irina01irina01 Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    Hello, I have a 2005 Sienna and my passenger side sliding power door stopped working from the buttons inside the car and on the remote. When any of those buttons are pressed, the motor makes a sound and slight movement like its trying to work, but the door does not open or close. When you manually pull on it to get it started, it will continue in the power mode and open close. So the only way to open or close this door it is manually. Any ideas? I'd really appreciate it! I don't want to take it to the dealer and have them take the whole door apart! Thank you in advance. I can be reached at is97@yahoo.com. If there are any repair people near Oakland CA that can fix this, email me!
  • jjllcaljjllcal Posts: 31
    Check the latch/hinge ( an L shape metal that hold the door to the body of the van). It could be the screws are loose and the door is touching the body. It could be the latch/hinge need to be replaced (cushions has worn off).. about $200. This is exactly what happened to my 2004 van.. Thank you Toy for using lousy parts... (cheap parts).
  • wmisiawmisia Posts: 1
    Have same issue with Sienna pas. pwr. door....and pics...ect. would be much appreciated!
    my email:

waltmisia@hotmail.com
  • Hello, I have the same problem on my 2005 Sienna. Were you able to come up with a solution to fix it? I'm also in Oakland. Thanks.