Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Sliding Door Problems

Comments

• fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,732
    Word from someone who has access to Toyota TIS reports that dealers are receiving advanced notification about a new warranty extension on door motors / cable assemblies and the door latch motor assembly. It should be public shortly, or go annoy your service manager by asking directly. Refunds for past repairs may also be included.
  • nana1427nana1427 Posts: 18
    I have advised people to contact Toyota about their sliding door problem for years. I am happy to say it has paid off!!!!!! My Toyota dealer in Hagerstown, Maryland emailed me and told me that Toyota has extended the warranty on certain 2004 to 2010 model year Siennas. Toyota is offering a Warranty Coverage Extension (CPS) for rear door latch assemblies and power sliding doors for a period of 9 years from the vehicle`s first use of 120,000 miles, whichever comes first. This warranty extension will also provide coverage for the power sliding door cable assembly on certain 2004 to 2007.

This dealership states they will perform a complete inspection AT ABSOLUTELY NO CHARGE, AND NO CHARGE FOR REPAIRS!!!

I am so happy to share this news, I plan to make an appointment to get my door repaired this week. The dealership said I will have to leave the van overnight and get it the next day, it is quite involved to repair.

Hope this helps and gets the free repair you deserve!!
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,732
    Great! Sounds like some of the dealers are starting to act on the advanced information. Letters to owners of record should also be mailed shortly.
  • mtj1mtj1 Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Sienna (purchased 4/2/03) with 109K miles on it. The sliding door has been a problem for at least a year. I initially took it to my regular mechanic thinking it was a simple tightening of a bolt. He couldn't fix it and advised taking it to the dealer, but I have his invoice documenting the problem at 99K miles. I waited until I needed an oil change and went this week. I learned that the repair, involving actuators, cables, and latches like everyone else, costs $1167 in parts plus $1069 in labor!!!!!! And it WOULD be covered under the extended warranty but I was 13 days past the 9 year mark. It doesn't matter that I am still under 120K miles. The corporate office said they would take care of the parts but I still have to suck up $1069 in labor and taxes for a door that they know is faulty. I preordered the first of the newer model Siennas, sight unseen, and I have had so many recall repairs done, as Toyota worked out the kinks on the new line. But we stayed loyal and bought a Prius too. Now I really feel betrayed. SHAME on Toyota!
  • jm63jm63 Posts: 1
    Can you get a service bulletin number or any reference number on the Toyota communique to dealers? I am about to contact my service adviser at the dealership and it would be great to be 'armed' with the info. Currently have my 2006 Sienna with passenger sliding door not sliding closed - have to manually get out and haul it shut...motor works - but it sticks and refuses to shut.
  • I just called my Toyota dealer and spoke to the service manager. He said that they have received no advance notice about a recall and gave me toyotas number. No help at all. Anyone have a ref # or something that I can provide to them? Thanks.
  • Unbelievable! Just called a different dealer and they verified this information!!! :) Scheduled my repair and they said it will be free of charge! Happy dance!!!!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Cool. :shades:

Please keep us posted on how the repair goes.
  • Hi fellow frustrated Sienna owners,
    Wow! Toyota is finally taking responsibility! Never thought I'd see the day. This has been a thorn in my side for a very long time. Anyone know if this courtesy is being extended north of the border. I'm in Nova Scotia and the climate here combined with the salt, as a result of living on the Atlantic's doorstep, has only exacerbated the corrosion issue connected with the door latch assembly failing. We have had the doors both fixed once already and now they have seized again and have been that way for about 2 years now. So far I can't seem to find any such warranty extension on the net from Toyota Canada. If anyone knows anything I would greatly appreciate the heads up. :confuse:
  • melis67melis67 Posts: 1
    I have had "everything" replaced for the passenger side door at a cost of $950.00, after the door wouldn't shut and would randomly pop open, from not latching. Now the driver's side door is doing the same thing, except now the cost is $2900.00. I was going around a corner, and without any warning, the door came open. It took my husband 2 hours just to get it closed, only to have it pop open again. He finally disconnected the battery so the battery doesn't go dead. This is without a doubt a safety issue that should be addressed. :mad:
  • rnovakrnovak Posts: 3
    I am so sorry to hear that Toyota will not fix this problem! After 2 years and about $4000.00 of the dealer never being able to fix the problem, i took mine to an independent mechanic and disconnected the motor in the door and I use it automatically. We still have problems with the door ie the handles breaking off and it still gets stuck closed but it is much cheaper to fix. It's funny but Toyota does not seem to understand that when you purchase a car, at the least you want the doors to open and close.
  • Just an FYI, i have an 01 Sienna.. Mine had issues with the doors not opening or closing, or getting jammed. It turned out for me to be a simple fix. I took the door off the van, "yeah the neighbors were looking like i was crazy too". I ended up purchasing a cable adjuster for the cable that runs from the door to the latch. I removed the old cable, installed the adjuster, and welded a bracket to the inside sheet metal support.. Then reassembled the door, and put it back on the van, adjusted the cable.. Lastly i used Lithium grease on the latch and the moving parts inside the door to keep moisture out, and off the cable.. It has been good now for about 2 years.. Total cost was about 9.00 and about 6 hours of labor that i did in my garage.. This was after the dealer told me it would be about 2k dollars to fix..

Side note: doesn't void the warranty if they will never see it
  • jmor2jmor2 Posts: 1
    I'm very disappointed in the way Toyota is handling this warranty extension for the door issues on the van. I have a 2005 Sienna and the first time I brought it up to my local dealer was in 2009 and was told I had to take it to a body to get it repaired!! My doors still open and shut. They just have to be pulled closed and sometimes they jam but the kids are used to it and know how to work it so I never took it to a body shop, mainly because i knew it would probably cost btwn $2-3,000 to fix.
    Of course, I just got the warranty extension in the mail yesterday and now my car is over the mileage for the extension and after a phone call to the Toyota main office, they pretty much said too bad, so sad! I cannot believe that they won't step up and pay for this when they've known about this problem for years! There should not be any time limits or mileage limits on this issue.
    Toyota WILL NOT be getting any more business from my family!!
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,426
    What is the mileage limit?
  • jjllcaljjllcal Posts: 31
    120000.... This is why they took their time for this extension....let the owner reach the 120000 and they do not pay anything... Toyota you sucks... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • nevinnhnevinnh Posts: 1
    in case you did not get this yet - there is no number on the letter from Toyota. It has this at the top:

Certain 2004 to 2007 Model Year Sienna Rear Sliding Door Latch Assemblies and Power Sliding Door Cable Assemblies
    Warranty Enhancement Notice

good luck.
  • larz5larz5 Posts: 2
    Unbelievable is right. I got the same notice. They actually refer to it as a warranty extension rather than a recall. Anyway, my doors have been broken for about a year now. I have a 2004 Sienna with 113,000 miles. I took it in and they told me it wasn't covered because in my case they said they didn't work because one (apparently there are two) of the motors wasn't working and this part is not covered by the extension. To add insult to injury, they charged me $60 to diagnose the problem or in other words to tell me "too bad". Nice business practice.

I will never buy another Toyota.
  • nana1427nana1427 Posts: 18
    I took my 2004 Sienna in with the recall, I also was told it was not covered under the recall, my letter from the dealership said I would not be charged to diagnose the problem, so I showed the dealership the letter, so it was no charge to me. I decided to have the door fixed, it cost me $300.00, which I am happy to have the door working again.

I still have the recall, so if the doors break in the next couple months I`m covered, but I doubt I will have such luck.

I still like my Sienna, just sorry the doors have such problems. The dealership gave me a rental 2012 Sienna while my van was being fixed, it was much larger then my van, I really did`nt like that, just too long.
  • mugsismemugsisme Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 Sienna, and both doors stopped operating properly several years ago, after the original warranty expired. The drivers side non power door stopped locking or unlocking with the fob, and then the passenger power sliding door stopped opening or closing with the fob. I was real excited after getting this letter from Toyota. Took it in yesterday and they said both doors fail to meet the requirements for the warranty enhancement. They want $647.50 and $458.00 to fix the doors. What I don't understand is what this warranty extension actually covers? Seems like they are playing games. The letters says it covers "Power Sliding Door Cable Assembly", but the estimate calls it "Motor Assembly" My wife called Toyota to complain, and they took all of our information and gave us a case #, but said they would not do anything, we are out of luck. Seems pretty unfair. I only have 70k miles on this 2004 and have suffered for 3-5 years with these bad doors. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions on how to get Toyota to fix these? Thanks.
  • cheranecherane Posts: 8
    I only have thrity one thousand miles and since 17,000 miles I'v e had no sliding door. I'm seventy years old and no kids, none other in my 06 XLE. I've bought new toyotas since 1990......guess they don't give a smell today. I cannot even sell it for a decent price due to this situation. also I spilled coke on the drivers side and it ate throeugh the carpet, couldn't get to it due to this dam door.