Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Sliding Door Problems

1333435363739»

Comments

• I have similar problems with my '05 Sienna, so whoever mentioned not buying a first year in production model needs to reconsider that thought!

I take care of routine and all preventative maintenance on this van because it's paid off and I don't want another car payment (kids in college and private HS). We live in the Mid-Atlantic (East Coast) area and this is a summary of the problems I've had with my '05 Sienna LE:

• Trim fell off from exterior window between mid-window and rear window; interior bolt and screw covers have fallen off and cannot be repaired
    • Power door motor failed (fortunately for me, before my extended warranty expired)
    • Power steering rack fell to pieces and had to be completely replaced (again under warranty)
    • Power steering fluid leaks; antifreeze leaks
    • Driver's side door weld failed
    • Sliding doors freeze at or below 32 degrees ... sometimes for days at a time.
    • Automatic transmission jumps/jolts during shift to next gear (my mechanic says that this was a known programming error, but could only be fixed under warranty or I would have to pay)
    • Rear license tag light cannot be accessed for replacement even after removal of the entire rear gate interior panel!

There are more, but those are the ones that have bugged me the most. I also know that Toyota quality went out the door when our vehicles were manufactured. Don't know if I'll ever go back after this van. I never had quality issues like this with Honda!

• I'm beginning to have the same door latch release issues with my '05 Sienna, but it's definitely intermittent. Having replaced the door motor and cable assembly once already, I was told to turn off the sliding door motor when on a hill so the door motor and cable assembly don't get overworked. Since then (5+ years ago), the door has been functioning properly.

Also, does anyone have trouble getting the sliding doors to "lock" open? IOW, the door should click and hold open when fully opened, but many times, those latches don't catch.

• I replaced the sliding door cable assembly and gave detailed instructions how to repair yours too on my blog at: http://johnfixesstuff.blogspot.com/2014/01/how-to-replace-the-power-sliding-door-cables-2004-207-toyota-sienna-xle.html

• I recently had the cable break on my 2004 Toyota Sienna sliding door. I replaced the cable assembly and I share all the details of how to replace yours on my blog at: http://johnfixesstuff.blogspot.com/2014/01/how-to-replace-the-power-sliding-door-cables-2004-207-toyota-sienna-xle.html

• If you need to replace the cable assembly I detailed the entire process with lots of diagrams and pictures on my blog: http://johnfixesstuff.blogspot.com/2014/01/how-to-replace-the-power-sliding-door-cables-2004-207-toyota-sienna-xle.html