Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-7 Maintenance

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,854
    It's Tuesday, so that means it's time for our weekly chat session. Meet and greet with some of your CarSpace forums friends and chat about your favorite cars!

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• astegmanastegman Posts: 171
    Hi everyone. I received in yesterday's mail (10/24/07) a notice regarding an emission recall to reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM). The notice applied to various Mazda vehicles, but included 2007 CX-7's built between 2/14/06 and 4/28/07. Mine falls into this category, so I guess I'll be calling my dealer today to schedule an appointment. Just as well, since I'm due for the 22,500 mile maintenance and an oil change. Has anyone else received this notice?
    - Andrea.
  • zoom49zoom49 Posts: 76
    Andrea,

Yes I recieved mine on (9/29/07) and have already had it performed. You should only get this mailed to you if your car falls between the vin numbers listed. It applies to
    CX-7 and Mazdaspeed 3's and 6's which use the same engine.
    There is another recall out on the CX-7 as well fro replacement of the (variable swirl shutter valve) however this applies to a smaller number of vehicles. Zoom :)
  • astegmanastegman Posts: 171
    My VIN does fall within the range of cars affected, so I will have it taken care of. About how long did it take? Then again, I will combine it with the 22,500 mile service. Thanks for the response!
  • zoom49zoom49 Posts: 76
    Our CX-7 needed both recalls performed. They said that they needed 4 hours to perform both, but provided a no charge rental car for the afternoon.
  • My dealer is recommending the oil to be changed at 1,000 miles. Thinking that it's way too early I've contacted Mazdausa. They told me that they recommend the first oil change at 7500 miles and have no control over what the dealers are saying. I was wondering if anyone has changed their oil this early? If you did, what kind of oil did you use? (synthetic or dino) and if synthetic was used, have you had to add any oil since the change? (just trying to see if the engine is using it up). Thanks.
  • The dealer is playing it very safe, but they are right; it's a good idea. The reason for changing the oil that early is to clear out any little bits of metal that might have been left during the machining process. When the block and other engine internals are manufactured, metal powder and even shavings are created. All the parts get a wash during assembly, but as they say, nothing is perfect. In fact, the whole process of "breaking in" an engine is to "wear" the new parts together; i.e. pistons and cylinders, etc. Why leave that oil in for another 6,500 miles when you can swap it out? You can't go wrong following Mazda USA's recommendations, but for added piece of mind, many like to change the oil after the engine is broken in (usually 1000 miles).

My CX-7 has been on synthetic oil for 20,000 miles and I have never had to add any between changes. The debate rages on about needing synthetic or not (again, Mazda says plain oil works fine) and you can read posts on that for hours...

Good luck.

-c92
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,958
    and you can read posts on that for hours...

You can easily spend an hour reading about "Honda Break-in Oil" too, and why you shouldn't change the oil early. One example:

tamu2002, "Honda Accord Engine Break-in and First Oil Change Questions" #34, 12 Oct 2006 11:47 am

Then there's that whole "drive like you stole it the first 200 miles" theory from the motorcycle world.

There's enough material in your question to last a whole season of MythBusters. :D

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• anxsanxs Posts: 7
    My vehicle manual was stolen from the car (along with everything else not valuable to anyone but me) and I have a mainentance light on. It's right below the tire pressure light. Can someone tell me what that is and what maintenance I need to check on so it goes off?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,854
    Time again for our weekly gathering of enthusiasts! maybe we shold make tonight a costume chat! :P

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• FYI, you can access the manual if you login to the Mazda website under "Owners."

That being said, the manual doesn't tell you what indicator is located where on the dash. You'll have to match the symbols. Can you describe the symbol at all?

-c92
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    There is another recall out on the CX-7 as well fro replacement of the (variable swirl shutter valve) however this applies to a smaller number of vehicles

As well as a few Mazdaspeed6's and select Mazdaspeed3's. It causes the o so friendly CEL to make an appearance!
  • Should I or not changue the oil if my cx-7 is a year old but still 5600k? should I wait untill 7500k
  • Should change the oil/filter cartridge every 3,000 miles. In the real world, by the time you get around to bringing it in, will be 3500~4000 miles. Cheapest insurance you can buy for your engine. The turbo DISI seems to turn oil black quicker than the the naturally aspirated engine.
  • techctechc Posts: 3
    Can anyone tell me where the oil filter is located on the 09 Mazda CX-7?
  • howardruhowardru Posts: 155
    Under the engine......ha!

You have to remove a large cover with bolts that hold it in place. It's not a filter, it's a cartridge which is different than most.

Perhaps you should watch your dealer service department perform it the first time.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,958
    Someone with an older Olds Alero was complaining on the site today about their cartridge oil filter. They were having trouble getting the quick lube kinds of places to change their oil.

Can you find the Mazda cartridges at NAPA or AutoZone, etc?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• howardruhowardru Posts: 155
    Only at 2K miles on our new CX-7 and was planning to only have the stealership perform the maintenance since it once every 7500 miles for $40 to $50 is still cheaper than going to JifffyLube every 3K for $35.
  • des5des5 Posts: 88
    Mazda sends me two mailers with coupons a couple of weeks before each oil change is due. The coupons are never for the same price, the latest are one for 22.95, and the other for 25.95. I've never paid more than $30 for an oil change on either the 6 or the CX-7, always at the dealer.
  • zoom08zoom08 NYCPosts: 66
    I was quoted $650 for the service + tax at Manhattan Mazda in NYC.
    I question the service for several reasons:
    the dealer claims I need to have the trans axle fluid check and or replaced.
    a oil change is included ($41.55 value) and they have a list of items that they have to check but the replacement of such items is not included.
    I think this is robery.
    Should I just ask to have an oil change done and a transaxle fluid flushed only and save a few hundred dollars? :confuse: