Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo XC90 Entertainment System Questions

dimaddimad Posts: 5
Hello, I just bought 2006 XC90 from the dealer stock, but it came without DVD player. I always had entertainment system in my previous cars and it was first what my kids asked me about when I got our XC90. Any suggestions? Overhead flip screen would be OK?
I checked Circuit City, they have nice Sony and Pioneer overhead consoles, but I am not sure if I can install them in XC 90. Thank you!

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,930
    Check out the aftermarket recommendations in the DVD/Entertainment Systems discussion.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• My wife has a 2006 xc90 and we want to put sirius in it. I have the after market kit in my vehicle and she does NOT want that ugly cradle on her dash and there ia no other place to really put it where it's not in the way but still accessible. Does anyone know if they can take a 2007 radio unit and have it installed in a 2006 and have everything still work? Don't care about cost. Her car is the new road trip vehicle, and I MUST have my Sirius. We tried one of the portable units, but if it is not hard-wired into the radio there is too much interference with local stations everywhere on the FM band.

Thanks,

Dave
  • Oh, I forgot to mention, after talking with folks at three different dealerships, the common answer was "I don't know"

Dave
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    The correct answer is no.
  • martin36martin36 Posts: 1
    Hi,

Does anybody know if the volvo dvd player support dvd+r?
    And has anybody experience in making this player region free?

thanks,
  • Anyone out there have a 2007 XC90 V8 fully loaded? If so any problems. My concern so far has been the back-up camera that blackout at times and the radio LCD seems to flicker/dim. Other than that no problems.

If anyone has a different outlook please advice.

Thanks
  • Hi, kids have lost remote control for a VOLVO branded 10 disc dvd player. Factory fitted. Any idea where I can get a replacement. Car is UK 2005 XC90.
    Thanks
    prob have to go to the dealer
  • Hello,

I'm French and I leave in the US since August 07. Iwould like to unzone/dezone the DVD player in my Volvo XC90 from 2007 (Rear Seat Entertainment) in order to play my french DVDs and, potentially, to bring back this car when I move back to France.
    I'm looking for answers to your question, but I don't find them. Did you fix it ?
    Thank for your answer and help.
    Best regards,

Olivier
  • :lemon: Hi
    We lost the original remote control of the 10 disc DVD exchanger and Volvo do not know which one to send us; they sent the wrong one, then will not cooperate....
    Any suggestions?
  • I've just purchased the headrest DVD system and am getting ready to install them but I'm unclear as to how to get power to them. I was told that there is a plug under the driver seat but I've been unable to locate it. Does anyone have experience installing these units? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  • mfeldemfelde Posts: 1
    I am looking to purchase the same system did you ever figure out where the power source is, any tips on the install?

Thanks.
  • I had a local car audio company install it. Prior to installation I explained to them what had been communicated to me, that the power source was under the driver seat. When I picked up the car a few hours later, they told me that it wasn't an easy install at all and that the power source was NOT under the driver seat. Not sure where they are pulling the power from. All I know, is that the unit is not a quiet one. As the actual DVD is inserted into each headrest, as you drive down the road, you can hear it spinning. Really annoying but the convenience outweighs the annoyance. I paid $120 for the install. Hope this helps.
  • I have a 2006 XC90, that we bought used. It has a DVD system but the remote and headphones did not come with the car. Volvo wants $114 for the remote and $147 a piece for the headphones. Is there an after market option for the remote or anyplace where I can get the volvo remote cheaper?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,673
    hmmm... well, all I can suggest is to try searching around the internet. Watch ebay, things like that.

Just a quick search and I spotted these headphones on amazon, which claim to be compatible.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• Thanks qbrozen.
  • I just got a 2009 XC90 loaded up and we have a 2 year old that doesn't like to wear headphones. Has anyone figured out a good way to get sound from the system to the back seats without going thru the car audio system or headsets? I was a dreadful day when we listened to Noggin shows for 5 hours on a weekend trip.

I was thinking about small speakers wired into the RCA jacks or a small radio set to the FM transmission frequency placed under the kids car seat.

Any recommendations or experience with this situation?
  • rmuralirmurali Posts: 10
    Are there any issues with using iphone / ipod interface on xc90?
    Thanks
  • vickyb4vickyb4 Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 55 XC90, bought the headrest entertainment system (player goes in boot) but it does not seem to be working properly- keep getting no signal - have a 2nd AV connection that plays the playstation through it fine! I bought it from a Volvo garage (not a main dealer) who are being less than helpful. No installation guide came with it, I have had a very experienced Auto electrician look and attempt installation but still not working! Does anybody know where I can get an installation guide from so that we can double check that before 'presuming' the system is faulty!! The screens came already fitted inreplacement headrest - VOLVO 10disc DVD player in boot. Remote control has also been tested.

Somebody please help!!
    Don't know what system you have, but the factory authorized dealer installed system has the dvd players in each of the headrests.
    Obviously, you have some aftermarket system which is being touted as Volvo compatible. Volvo's have weird electrical systems and a lot of aftermarket stuff doesn't work well with it.
    If your garage can't make this work, I'd have them pull it out,refund your money and then go to a dealer.
  • Hi, I can solve all problems with the 10 disc rear seat entertainment system as I was the original designer, please let me know your issues and I will solve them Peter
  • cpardocpardo Posts: 1
    Hi, unfortunately I don't have a recommendation to your issue but I'm hoping you or anyone else can tell me how to get the audio from the rear entertainment system to come through the car audio system, we can't seem to be able to figure it out and we have two infants that are not old enough to use headphones.

Thanks to anyone that can provide help.

Regards.
  • jk764jk764 Posts: 17
    I have a similar problem. Though I think Caillou is a lot more whiny and annoying to listen to!

My 3-yr old is now not adverse to wearing headphones, but surprise -- the headphones from VOLVO are WAY too big!

Who the heck designed this system anyway? Duh - your demographic is kids. Make the headphones fit smaller sized heads.

So now my problem is how to get my kid's "monkey"-wired headphones to attach to VOLVO's fantastic DVD system. Any ideas?

I like your idea of including a small radio in the back seat tuned to the program. Then I could plug the headphones into that!
  • rcrxrcrx Posts: 1
    I have the MB8000 in headrest system. The screens would light up and display the 8000 in the upper section of each screen. I moved the "cable that runs from the center console to the DVD box" and it blew the fuse in the right rear luggage compartment. I found the "cable that runs from the center console to the DVD box" to be nearly severed. (Not sure how it worked at all) I replaced the "cable" with a $105.00 factory replacement from the local dealer and not able to even get the screens to light up now. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  • The screen in the headrest DVD player was damaged. The DVD player is working fine we just want to replace the screen. Dealer wants to replace whole unit for $$$$. Anyone know where to get just the screen that is compatible.
  • I have a 2008 Volvo XC90 with the DVD Entertainment in each headrest (from the factory). It's frustrating to me because my 20 month olds don't want to wear headphones, nor do I really want them to. The only way I've been able to find to play through the car stereo is through the FM modulator, which sounds like crap. I called the Volvo dealership where I bought the car and they seem to know nothing about the entertainment system. Is there a way to play the DVD's directly through the car stereo (using the AUX jack or another method) without using the FM modulator? This is my biggest complaint about the car...
  • bird17bird17 Posts: 2
    in my 2009 you need to turn the source to Aux on the stereo and then hold the source button on the screen you want to hear the sound from.....

I'm doing this from memory (we tried it once months ago - but our 3yo wears the headphones and 12mo is still rear facing).

If that doesn't work let me know and I'll try doing it for real (but it's cold and snowy outside right now).
  • bird17bird17 Posts: 2
    Any luck with this? Just turn our rear facing car seat around and noticed that the screen is damaged too. I'm trying to find the cheapest way to fix it.
  • sbenzsbenz Posts: 1
    The entertainment system for my 2003 XC90 also has gone wacky. Usually it won't turn on. Then at some random moment, it turns on by itself. Then when I turn off the car, it won't turn off, at least right away. I have had to partially start the ignition to get it off.
    Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Sometimes it turns on by itself. Sometimes it won't turn off. Sometimes when it is on, the display is incorrect and the volume won't work and I can't change stations or sources.
    Diagnosis?
    I fear a $1000 replacement...as other owners have posted.
    Please help!
  • norskaminorskami Posts: 1
    Suddenly, the display reads "Deck error" and will not eject the CD or switch to another one. Has anyone else experienced this? Know a quick fix?