Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Pontiac G8

Comments

• rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,505
    "The estimated city 15 highway 23 on regular for the G8 looks quite good when compared to this list. "

Agreed.
    - Ray
    Still waiting........
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    I don't know where these numbers come from, but I've never heard of a Corolla averaging less than 30 MPG. EVER!

It's kind of a selling point. Pretty good one. ;)

EVERY compact car should get TWICE the economy of any V8.

DrFill
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    drfill: The mileage data comes from the US EPA's web site. Please note that the original discussion was focused on City mileage, not some sort of average mileage.
    I’m not at all certain that it is worth my time to respond, but I do find the statement by drfill to be interesting. And I have a few minutes left in my ‘lunch hour’, so what the heck:

“EVERY compact car should get TWICE the economy of any V8.”

My opinion is that this statement is balderdash. ( No offense intended. )

It does reflect what seems to be a rather common perception – though one I see as misguided, at best.

While there has certainly been a ( justifiable ) emphasis on fuel economy here in the US, I do not see the G8 ( in V6 or V8 form ) as models that ought to be expected to provide absolutely maximized fuel economy. They have several other high priorities – and most are at odds with completely optimized MPG.

Statements with both ‘EVERY’ and ‘any’ in them tend to grab my attention.

I drive a V8. In 14,000+ miles of ‘actual’ Daily Driver, commuter, shopper, grocery-getter usage, I have averaged 22.39 MPG. ( Excel calculated. ) The EPA average rating of my car is 21. ( Would be 19 under the EPA’s ‘new scheme'. )

[ And I have even seen a few individual tanks, including long highway runs, average over 28 MPG. ]

So: By that proclamation, every compact ( not even subcompact ) should average over 44 MPG.

I find that absurd.

And I don’t use that word often.

And I certainly did not expect that any G8 would equal a compact Toyota in EPA MPG.
    - Ray
    6.0L V8, automatic trans. & very happy with the MPG, thanks . . .
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,903
    EVERY one of MY compact/economy/4-cylinder cars ought to get double the mpg of a V8. that's wy I drive a VW TDI as well as a 6.0L v8 (manual trans GTO). I put about 40k miles/year on the TDI and 15k miles/year on the V8. I'll take a look at the G8 manual-shift model once it is offered, especially if GM sees fit to offer sirius-radio built-in instead of XM.
    see you on the highways...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GMVideoApprovals

Nothing really new, and they display with odd, stretched proportions on my home PC screen – but interesting to see so many . . .

- Ray
    Still waiting . . .
    Distribution Updates
    Updates for G8
    Week of 10/22/2007
    Effective 10/22/2007, the following changes will be made to the Vehicle Order Guide:

* Interior section-(JF5) Pedals, Sport metallic, changed symbol on 2ER69 G8 Sedan from "A" to "--".
    * Interior section-Windows, power, driver and front passenger, changed extended description to read "includes Express-Down".
    * Exterior section-Deleted (T43) Spoiler, rear-wing entirely.
    * Exterior section-Deleted (PDX) Sport Package from 2ER69 G8 Sedan entirely.
    * Exterior section-On 2EC69 G8 GT Sedan, (PDX) Sport Package, changed extended description to read "includes (JF5) sport metallic pedals, (QS4) 19" (48.2 cm) machine-faced aluminum wheels, (QCZ) P245/40R19-94W, summer-only performance blackwall tires and (NK4) leather-wrapped Sport steering wheel".
    * Exterior section-Deleted (PW2) Wheels, 18" (45.7 cm) machine-faced aluminum, split-spoke from 2ER69 G8 Sedan entirely.
    * Mechanical section-(LY7) Engine, 3.6L Variable Valve Timing DOHC V6 SFI aluminum, changed extended description to read "(preliminary 256 hp [190.9 kW] @ 6300 rpm, 248 lb-ft of torque [334.8 N-m] @ 2100 rpm)".
    * Mechanical section-(L76) Engine, 6.0L V8 SFI aluminum with Active Fuel Management, changed extended description to read "(preliminary 361 hp [269.2 kW] @ 5300 rpm, 385 lb-ft of torque [519.8 N-m] @ 4400 rpm)".
    * Mechanical section-Deleted (FE1) Suspension, Sport entirely.
    * Mechanical section-(FE2) Suspension, Performance, changed symbol on 2ER69 G8 Sedan from "--" to "S".
    * Mechanical section-(M82) Transmission, 5-speed automatic, changed extended description to read "with Driver Shift Control and Sport Mode".
    * Mechanical section-(MYC) Transmission, 6-speed automatic, changed extended description to read "with Driver Shift Control and Sport Mode".
  • "...a lot to make up for..." Such grammar! Don't judge others about their lack of education.

I'm educated and I will be purchasing a G8.
    cracovian - FYI - attacking the person and not the idea never works very well. As for height and education, I am 6' 1", a Mensa member with a BSBA degree, a self-made multi-millionaie, 50 years old, and own an environmental consulting company (toxic materials and common-sense green).

lostwrench - Thanks for the support.

Why would somebody who wants small car gas mileage be looking at a G8? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

It will be possible to obtain small car fuel mileage from large cars and trucks/SUVs when the vehicles with diesel engines and two-mode hybrid systems are on sale. It seems very likely that Mercedes-Benz and GM will offer such vehicles, and somewhat likely that GM will offer such a drivetrain on at least one of the G8's Zeta-platform mates. However, the price will not be low, so it will appeal more to those who drive far more than average.
  • merckxmerckx Posts: 565
    I hope I read the above post....I'm very interested in a six-cylinder G8,but not one with a spoiler.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,903
    me2. i like that spoiler-delete too. i hope they allow no spoiler on the manual-trans model in 2009 or 2010 or whenever. now if we can only get a "hood-vent-delete" option some year soon.
  • cracoviancracovian Posts: 337
    fsmmcsi - yes, you're a true catch ;-) Your previous posts are lovely but this one gets the prize.

There are nice german cars out there that will smoke this thing and even burn more gas while they're at it, so if you take some time off making millions or posting on this forum, you might want to take a look at those.
  • jbar2jbar2 Posts: 8
    Anyone here drive the Grand Prix with the S/C 3.6? I have nothing to complain about and I enjoy getting 28 hwy. The 2008 G8's 3.6 VVT DOHC V6 (256hp only 4 HP less than 2007 Grand Prix GTP w/3.8 Supercharged V6) was tested under the hood of the 2008 CTS (with only 7 more HP) at the Nürburgring Nordschleife in Germany. Anyone not happy with this, an est. 17 / 26 and staying under 30K has only two options. Go with the G8 GT with the 361hp 6.0 or go to the Honda Dealer.

I don't need the V8 but having it about $2,400 away from the V6 will be hard to over-look.
  • cracoviancracovian Posts: 337
    Now, if they brought the wagon version here... What a beauty: http://www.holdencampaign.com.au/calendar/

I have a couple of 17'' wheel/tire sets from the GTO. Does anyone know if they'll fit on the G8?
    They will. Go to http://www.pontiac.com/g8/ to see them on the GT. Except for the black paint between the spokes they are the same wheels off of the 2004/2005 GTO.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,836
    "Opinions about Other Members" isn't the topic title here, folks. Let's stick to the one in big orange letters at the top, please!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Who else would would also like to see a G8 car-truck? A sedan, wagon, and car-truck would provide a range of utility and looks to suite many more buyers. I know, it is really just going back to 1978, but that past history indicates that such a range should be popular.

Who else will be at the LA Auto show? I will probably go on the first day, just after opening time, as it is not crowded, and I have found that the manufacturer's representatives are more willing and able to talk at that time.
    I am assuming that by car-truck you are referring to the Holden Ute. There was some talk about bringing the Ute to the states as the new El Camino but When they were going to axe the Commodore (G8) and the Ute, only the Ute got cut. Part of this could be attributed to the overwhelming failure of the Chevy SSR.
  • jkr2106jkr2106 Posts: 231
    The other part (they say) is because of the change in exchange rate (ie-the dollar is falling too much to make a profit as a chevy). GM may bring the ute here as a Pontiac or GMC, though (my vote's for Pontiac). Yet another consideration is the high volume nature of Chevy dealers and the concern that they may not be able to source enough from Holden plus the ute is based on the G8/Commodore and it would be best, training-wise, to service them in the same dealer (B-P-G).
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,201
    Part of this could be attributed to the overwhelming failure of the Chevy SSR.

And (if true) this is the usual BS move by automakers who really screw up a good concept and throw their hands up in the air that it isn't a big seller and decide americans just don't want that type of vehicle, although the real reason is that we don't want that vehicle because they did something horribly wrong like make it overweight and overpriced.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

GM is using the G8 as a test bed in the same manner they are using the Saturn Astra (Vauxhall / Opel Astra) and if things go well we may see the wagon or Ute version of the G8 over the next couple of models years. I agree with the Pontiac badging of the Ute, GMC has not seen a car-truck since the Sprint in 1977 and given it's truck only line-up it wouldn't make sense. Chevy has become the basic, bargain GM and volume / exchange rates aside, this vehicle would go un-noticed by the Chevy buyer (SSR). For now, I am eagerly awaiting the day I can park a G8 in my drive-way. :shades:
    I agree with the error on GM's part when looking at the weight and price of the SSR, especially price. How many buyers do you think spent two to five thousand more for the Corvette Coupe? That said, let's all hope the same decision making is not applied to the new Camaro....that would be sacrilege.
    Posted on another board - seem reasonable, but I cannot say that they are 'official'...

G8 GT - ($29,310)
    Prem Package - ($1250)
    Sport Package - ($600)
    Sunroof - ($900)
    All Season Tires - ($150)

Freight - $685
  • nojetsnojets Posts: 31
    Is this car going to have a nav option tucked into that screen on the dash?
  • Greetings,

Does anyone know for sure if the G8 GT will be offered with XM and/or NAV? I have read that they are...and aren't. Trying to keep the price down and simplify the options, I could understand no NAV when the G8 launches but no XM? That makes no sense as it is a simple and cheap addition. Any information would be appreciated.

As far as the failure/success of the UTE, it comes down to price/engine availabity...just like the SSR & GTO (IMHO). If the SSR had launched with a price in the high 20's/low 30's AND a high HP engine,things might have turned out much differently. To launch with that ridiculous price and the crap engine was folly of the worse sort. A lower cost hardtop version would have helped. An LS2, hardtop and a price of 27k, and they would have sold like hotcakes. Chevrolet is NOT a brand that can charge 40k for something that is basically a toy.

The GTO was simply priced WAY to high when it launched. The staid looks didn't help either...not even the (required) twin intakes on the hood? Anyhow, the main killer was price. Compared to the price of a Mustang GT, 7k more, give or take, was just silly. I love the way the GTO drives, but at 20k used, not 30k+ new. A 25k GT with lower depreciation make a lot more sense (if you're buying new)..and looked "hotter". It wasn't, but it looked it. By the time they fixed some of the "problems" with the GTO, the Pontiac dealers were having fire sale prices on the '04s, just about making certain that the resale would be horrible and thus stopping many from buying the later, improved models. It does, however, make for a GREAT used bargain and the interior is just lovely, especially for a GM car (I know they're getting better, but perceptions die hard).

End opinion, thanks for reading. Any info on the XM and NAV would be appreicated.

Cheers, Anteken
    The Order Guide ( last updated a week ago ) lists neither.

My ** GUESS ** is that neither will be available at launch.

MY 2009, anybody’s guess. . . .
    - Ray
    Hoping for both of those AND a HUD – for 2009 . . .
    BTW: You are correct that GM initially announced XM as a production model feature for the G8. ( From February: See partial list below, quoted from GM’s first press release. )

My ** GUESS ** is that the XM issue is related to the fact that the initial build will apparently include a Blaupunkt audio head unit – and the fact that I don’t believe that XM is available in Australia . . .

- Ray
    Still hoping that 2009 will bring enhancements . . .

= = =

http://www.media.gm.com/us/gm/en/news/events/autoshows/07chicago/brands/pontiac/- #top

Production model details
    The 2008 Pontiac G8 lineup will offer two models: G8 and G8 GT. Each will come with a host of standard performance, convenience and safety features, including:

. . .
    Roof rail side-impact air bags for both seating rows
    OnStar
    XM Satellite Radio
    Power-adjustable front seats
    Fog lamps
    You can get some answers by going to GM's Pontiac website, http://www.pontiac.com/ ,and clicking on G8 (early 2008) under the "Pontiac Vehicles" tab. The first thing some folks may notice is that the Commodore's tall wing is not pictured, only a spoiler nearley flush with the deck-lid.

Sorry, no listing for NAV or XM in any packages or by themselves at this time. No HUD listed either. There is an IPod / MP3 jack in the specs, which is fine by me since this is all I use anymore.
    From Edmunds.com

Price with Options
    2008 Pontiac G8
    GT 4dr Sedan (6.0L 8cyl 6A)
    . . . . . . . MSRP . . . . .Invoice

. . . . . . . . $29,310 . . . . .$27,698
    Select Options
    PCQ Premium Package info $1,250 $1,038
    CF5 Power Tilt-Sliding Sunroof info $900 $747
    PDX Sport Package info $600 $498
    QFX P245/45R18-96V All-Season Blackwall Tires info $150 $125