Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Pontiac G8

Comments

• rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,496
    “I followed your Grand Prix GXP odyssey, transmission issue, etc. in that thread, and you now have a Corvette, IIRC.”

I did have a 2005 GXP. ( Early build. ) And I did have the trans. replaced.

I now have a 2007 Corvette with ( essentially ) the same automatic trans. that will be in the 2008 G8 GTs = the 6L80.

Interesting ( and annoying ) to me that the trans. in my Corvette experienced a failure also. Now I hasten to add here: I do ** NOT ** in any way abuse my vehicles. Ever. Not that I don’t accelerate quickly, etc. – but I do not indulge in anything anyone cold term ‘ abuse’.

Yet - after many, many years of driving automatics with absolutely no issues or repairs required, 2 consecutive GM vehicles have had major transmission issues – each within the first 12,000 miles.

A few details may be of interest to those here ( and on-topic, given the G8 V8’s trans will be so similar ) regarding my Corvette’s failure:

My 2007 Coupe had been near perfect in over 10,500 miles ( 7 months of Daily Driver \ commuter duty, as well as a couple of longer trips ) but I began to encounter a problem that seriously concerned me:

On acceleration, at shift points, the RPM would rise significantly as an upshift executes. [ flare? ] Sounded \ felt to me ( not a trans. engineer ) like the trans. was slipping.

This had happened to me, to a lesser degree, every once in a while over the past few months – say once a week or so. But one day, driving to lunch, it happened on something approaching half of all the shifts.

Did not seem to matter if it was in “S” w/paddles active ( as I typically drive ) just “S” shifting for itself, or “D”. Accelerator position seemed not to be a factor.

It happened as I drove out of my work parking lot, after sitting for over 4 hours – thus the trans. was as cool as it will be in 80+ degree weather. The trans. temp typically tops out at 207 on the stop-n-go portion of my commute home, and it did not seem any worse ( or any better ) on that drive than earlier when the trans. was cooler.

Once in any gear, things seem fine. Meaning: The TCC unlock \ lockup appears to be working fine & downshifts appeared unaffected – no unexpected RPM fluctuations. Though it was still intermittent, I called my dealer and scheduled an appointment for the next Monday.

A couple of days later ( a Saturday, of course ), after a couple of apparent shift attempts with long neutral between gears, the trans. stuck in second gear. And the CEL lit, at the same time. ( I was afraid that before the end of that drive, I might end up with a ‘box “full of neutrals” . . . ) Parked it.

On Monday AM, after another few shift problems, the trans. locked in third gear – and I continued directly to my Dealer.

I stuck to relatively rural roads, kept my speed under about 50 ( about 2,500 RPM ) and made it without further incident to my Dealer. But not much fun.

When I received the car back ( after a week ) it shifted as new.

Some details \ specific from the Repair Order:

CAUSE: P0700 P2724 P2715
    PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID #5 STUCK ON
    K6562 REPLACE TCM AND REPROGRAM PCM
    1 24238968 VALVE ASM, CONT SOL
    1 24236927 F-SEAL KIT
    1 24236931 F-FILTER KIT
    7 FLUID
    FC: 180FA
    PART#: 24238968
    COUT: 10

OBD II Codes:
    P0700 - Transmission Control System Malfunction
    P0700 Transmission Control System (MIL Request)
    P2724 Pressure Control Solenoid "E" Stuck On
    P2715 Pressure Control Solenoid "D" Stuck On
    . . . from a couple of Web sources . . .

It took 5 business days for all the parts to arrive – and less than an hour on a lift for the actual repair.

This was particularly annoying to me, since I had waited for a 2007 – after the 6 speed automatic trans was introduced for model year 2006 on the Corvette – specifically hoping that any potential issues with the transmission would be resolved, before mine was built.
    [[ sigh ]]

Yet the G8 V8 ( another GM product, with virtually the same trans. that failed on me a couple of months ago ) remains at or near the top of my list as a possible replacement for the Corvette – when that time comes . . .

- Ray
    Not necessarily always ( ever? ) logical – when it comes to cars . . .
  • bryanbryan Posts: 217
    "Not necessarily always ( ever? ) logical – when it comes to cars . . ."

I would worry if you were ;) I don't think many "logical" people hang on these boards. That's what makes it so fun.
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Posts: 197
    Awesome guide! Thanks for the link.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,078
    There is an ad on the left side of the page for the Pontiac Grand Prix, advertising 303 HP in one part of the animation, then 30 highway MPG in another part... Pretty misleading, as those aren't with the same configuration!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,148
    Pretty typical. I see it all the time in car commercials on TV or ads in the magazines.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

Pontiac Beefs Up High-Performance Offerings With New 2008 Torrent and G6 GXPs
    Date posted: 08-02-2007

DETROIT — General Motors revealed details of what's to come with the new Pontiac G8 performance sedan this week, saying the lineup will "offer a V6-powered base model and a V8-equipped GT model." The Pontiac G8 is the automaker's first North American application of GM's new global rear-wheel-drive architecture. It will arrive in showrooms in January.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=121950

- Ray
    Who had hoped to test drive one a little earlier.....
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,898
    they seem to have "forgotten" to offer a manual transmission on the G8. maybe for 2009?
  • actualsizeactualsize Santa Ana, CaliforniaPosts: 124
    What? Where do they say THAT?

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

GM said, back in February, that a 6-speed manual would become available for the V8 - just would not be available in N.A. right at launch:

"The G8 GT is powered by a uniquely configured 6.0L small-block V-8, rated at 362 horsepower (270 kW) and 391 lb.-ft. of torque (530 Nm). A six-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode is standard and features the fuel-saving Active Fuel Management system, which enhances fuel economy by alternating between eight- and four-cylinder power. An optional six-speed manual transmission will be available soon after launch."

http://media.gm.com/us/gm/en/news/events/autoshows/07chicago/brands/pontiac/inde- x.html
  • nojetsnojets Posts: 31
    I would LOVE to buy this car when it is released, preferably they way it looks in the UK or Australia without all the Pontiac ticky-tacky bits GM insists on here in the US. BUT most of all, what will kill sales of the G8 in this country, and will send ME running from the Pontiac dealer in frustration, is if they put the bloody fuel tank in the trunk again, giving the vehicle less load carrying capacity than a Hollywood starlet's handbag on Oscar night. Oh GM, hear my plea, and figure out the crash regulations with some engineering, not a "workaround"!
    if they put the bloody fuel tank in the trunk again

Huh? How many sedans DON'T have the fuel tank in the trunk? Where else would you put it? There is certainly no room under the hood with the engine, nor under the floor of the passenger compartment. Under the trunk is all that's left. It is/was in the trunk of my Alfa, Bimmer, Accord, Lincoln, Mustang, Benz, etc.

If your concern is primarily safety, the Holden Commodore ( the G8 will have no significant structural changes from the Australian basis ) design places the fuel tank under the rear seats, and well away from a rear end impact.

“Holden introduced several safety initiatives in the design of the new Commodore, including relocating the fuel tank in front of the rear-axle line, instead of behind.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_VE_Commodore

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34203&page=13

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?articleID=18769

If your primary concern is the trunk size, capacity & access..
    ( vs GTO?)

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/holden-ve-commodore-ss-v-series/

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/holden-ve-commodore-ss-v-series/188030/full/

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/holden-ve-commodore-ss-v-series/188034/full/

The picture with the trunk floor raised shows that the spare tire well is under there . . .

I believe that the G8 will have a ‘saddle’ arrangement for the fuel tank – much like that in my Corvette. It is actually 2 tanks, one on each side of the driveshaft ( or torque tube ) and interconnected.

Capacity is quoted as 19+ US gallons.

- Ray
    Not concerned about this . . .
  • actualsizeactualsize Santa Ana, CaliforniaPosts: 124
    How many sedans DON'T have the fuel tank in the trunk? Where else would you put it? There is certainly no room under the hood with the engine, nor under the floor of the passenger compartment.

Most, actually. Under the rear seats is popular. Most cars are front-wheel drive, so there isn't a driveshaft to deal with. Plenty of space under the rear seat but ahead of the rear axle.

Rear wheel drive cars that also have independent rear suspension, like the G8, do have a driveshaft to deal with, but its not moving up and down with the axle. So they can use an under-seat "saddle tank" that bridges the driveshaft.

And then there's the Honda Fit, a tiny car that puts its tank under the FRONT seats. Does wonders for cargo volume in the back. Well protected too.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

It may START under the rear seat, but I don't think it is entirely located there. I'm pretty darned sure you'd find it is under the trunk, as well. I don't believe a 20 gallon tank would fit under the rear seat of my Accord. I'd have to get under to check, but I'm willing to bet it is both.

The Fit's tank is entirely under the front seats? How is that possible? I mean, where do the rear passengers put their feet? And where is the filler neck?

• hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    It is saddle-style under the rear seats. The GTO "gas tank in the trunk" was a band-aid solution until the next-gen car (VE Commodore/G8) could come out with the gas tank in front of, rather than behind, the rear axle. Holden "used to" pretty much be on their own and engineer their vehicles exclusively for Australia/maybe the Middle East. One of the things the GTO program did for Holden was force them, going forward, to follow GM standards for vehicle integration/testing (i.e. cold weather, regulation, wheel standards, et. al.), making it far easier for Holden to export cars anywhere GM needs them to.

Any more questions?

I, too, like the Commodore front end much better than the G8 front. However, unlike the GTO, not only will you have to change the front fascia, but also the hood. The GTO could get the Monaro front parts for ~$1400 + paint and install - I expect this to be significantly more expensive for future G8 owners (like myself) who would like to make the swap...

--Robert
    My Corvette has an 18 gallon tank of very similar configuration – between the rear mounted transmission, final drive, exhaust pipes, mufflers & suspension - and the rear of the seats.

Looking at this . . .

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/19009/cat/1003

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/19009/size/big/cat- /1003

One might wonder exactly where there is room for those two 9 gallon tanks . . .
    The C6 is relatively ( relative to the G8 ) short & low.
    They are there.
    - Ray
    Trust me ( heh )
    but that's different. You are talking behind the seats, correct? Not below them. I can see where they would fit in those pics you provided.

• hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    I have an Australian book regarding the development of the VE platform. It's called "Biography" and it's by Australian automotive journalist Peter Robinson:

http://www.topgear.com.au/product.php?product_id=292

It has a CAD drawing of the exact tank location on the VE Commodore. I'll try to remember to bring it to work with me tomorrow to scan in the illustration and answer this question once and for all.

--Robert