Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Pontiac G8

Comments

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,003
    My Corvette has an 18 gallon tank of very similar configuration...

First thought that came to mind was: Is it under the back seat too? :P
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,476
    Well – in looking at the pictures of the red G8 GT, the one thing that I found most disturbing ( beyond the fact that I still dislike the styling of the tail lights – but that’s very subjective ) is seeing the console shifter & the ‘manumatic’ layout.

“+” upshift is back and “-“ downshift is forward.

Like BMW – but the opposite of all the other sport sedans I have driven with this feature . . .

Odd & annoying – to me.

Oh, well . . .

I certainly do not mean to say ( or imply ) that this is right or wrong, just opposite what I am used to - and what every other manufacturer seems to be doing.

Even within GM, in their brand new 2008 CTS uses + \ upshift = press forward.

From the 2008 CTS Owners Manual:

“To enter the DSC mode, press the shift lever
    forward to upshift or rearward to downshift.”

Again – this just seems very odd, to me.
    - Ray
    Wondering if production G8s will match the new CTS????
  • actualsizeactualsize Posts: 120
    It may START under the rear seat, but I don't think it is entirely located there. I'm pretty darned sure you'd find it is under the trunk, as well...
    The Fit's tank is entirely under the front seats? How is that possible? I mean, where do the rear passengers put their feet? And where is the filler neck?

The undertrunk area of most cars has a spare tire well. Ahead of that is the suspension subframe. There's more space under a rear seat than you might think.

As for the Fit, scroll through this to see a graphic. Rear passengers have their toes near the tank, the filler neck is really long and the fuel door is in the usual location.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,895
    Thanks for the link. Man, that is really strange on the Fit. I wonder where the filler neck routes, and how much fuel sits in it, and if that fuel every actually reaches the tank. I mean, where does it route? If under the floor, it then needs to arch back up to the top of the tank, making it impossible for all the fuel to ever actually go in the tank. Very weird. You've piqued my curiosity.

As for the location of the tank in trunks, as I said, I've had the tank in the trunk in most of my cars that I know of, so I don't see what the big deal is. Some have been closer to the rear of the car than others, sure, but since I don't live in the world depicted by CHiPs, I don't worry one bit about it. ;)

FYI. The closest one to the rear I can recall was my '66 Mustang.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    The Fit has the tank under the front seats so Honda could do that "magic seat" thing with the second row. Gas tanks under the trunk have been unlawful in the US for a while now, which is why the GTO had to have it in the trunk (the Crown Vic & Co. were grandfathered in).
    OH. Is this an "under" vs "in" thing? I had no idea.

How long has "under" been unlawful? I'll have to check my Accord (if so inclined) to see where exactly it is.

Its not so much that under-trunk tanks are specifically prohibited, is it? Most automotive regulations set minimum performance standards, but try to remain "technologically neutral".

Passing FMVSS 302*, a rear impact test designed to check for fuel leakage after crashes, has proven impossible with such a tank, so this design has died out. If a carmaker wanted to put a racing style-fuel bladder in an under-trunk design, they could pass the test. But it would cost way too much.

*A 50-mph rear-end barrier test with no significant fuel leakage allowed after the test. They invert the car after the impact to make sure it didn't crack along the top.
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    I couldn't find the CAD image of where the gas tanks are on the VE's (I know I've seen it), but below is a pic taken of VE's lower rear structure. I believe the tanks are the plastic on either side of the driveline tunnel (i.e. propeller shaft), under the rear seats...

Is this prototype shot from Lang-lang? Do we have a spy in our midst? Got any more?
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,476
    http://www.streetfire.net/archive/2006_09_01_archive.aspx

Almost at the bottom of the page.
    Part 2 at approx. 3:48 shows installation of the fuel tank.
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    Not a spy, just a Pontiac and Holden enthusiast. Pics came from the "Autobiography" book I mentioned a few posts up... highly recommended for the person really interested in the true story of this car's development (got my copy from http://www.pitstop.net.au for ~$80 Australian... spent at least half that in shipping to get it here, but can't recommend the book more highly)...
    good find!

been mighty quiet here. maybe this will get something going. Pontiac has put up a G8 builder.

No pricing yet.

One little complaint so far. The premium pack adds a 6-way power seat. 6-way? Really? On a car that, according to the ad in C&D, is being compared to BMW? I know it might be a nit, but for me, fitting comfortably in a car is not easy. I mean, who knows, it COULD be comfy for me. We'll see.

• topgun7topgun7 Posts: 409
    http://www.leftlanenews.com/pontiac-g8.html#more-4765

The base model — priced from $27,595 — features a 261 horsepower 3.6-liter V6 with 250 pound-feet of torque. A more powerful G8 GT — starting at $29,995 — delivers 362 horsepower and 391 pound-feet of torque thanks to a 6.0-liter V8.

The basic G8 features a five-speed automatic with manual mode, while the GT version is offered with either a six-speed automatic or six-speed manual gearbox.

Curb weight for the V6 model is 3,885 lbs, while the GT weighs just five pounds shy of 4,000. 18-inch wheels come standard, while 19-inch alloys can be ordered with the GT model.

The sedan rides on GM's new Zeta rear-wheel-drive platform, which underpins the 2009 Camaro and possibly the next-generation Impala, in addition to several other planned vehicles.

G8 deliveries are expected to begin in early 2008 — a relatively short lead time made possible by some very effective badge engineering.
    The 6-spd manual will not be available at launch, which is why it is not listed on the G8 builder site.

I wonder if leftlanenews got the pricing right.

Just got the email from autoweek with the same pricing, so i guess that is official. It claims it was sent to dealers this morning.

Autoweek, however, does not list the 6-speed manual, and rightly so (for now).

The G8 will have a base 256-hp, 3.6-liter variable valve-timed V-6 engine and five-speed automatic transmission. It will have driver shift control and sport mode availability. Standard features will include StabiliTrak electronic stability control, six airbags and OnStar.

The G8 GT will have a 6.0-liter V-8 mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. Other standard equipment will include limited slip differential and a premium 230-watt Blaupunkt 11-speaker sound system, according to a memo Pontiac sent to dealers this morning.

• Has anyone seen this!

Ouch.
    Not surprising that a tester fell asleep at the wheel. The article I read about Death Valley testing a few weeks back said that the testers operate out of a cheap hotel on very little sleep, plus, someone on Jalopnik noted that, being a Holden engineer, he may have also been jetlagged.

I was surprised to read that he had only minor injuries after seeing the car and a description of the crash!
  • I've been the Death Valley tester staying in the cheap motel in Beatty, Nevada (the best one is a Motel 6). The days can be long, but I always got my 8 hours. The heat is the worst part - especially if you are doing hot-soak air conditioner tests: soak a black car in the summer sun a Furnace Creek for an hour, jump in wearing long sleeves and long pants, keep the windows up and start driving immediately with the fan on high blowing really hot air in your face for the next ten minutes. Good times.

And there are, of course, spy photographers to elude and civilian vehicles "in your way" as you try to drive a preset pattern.

I've seen a lot of crews for other companies with laptops rigged up for the driver to fiddle with while driving that pattern.

Another factor besides Aussie jet lag to consider here is the fact that they drive on the "wrong" side of the road down there. Add a little fatigue with a trafficless two-lane and it's possible to imagine someone drifting onto the wrong side of the road.

Dan
    I drove through Death Valley this summer. I can't imagine doing a "hot soak" A/C test. Most of the time I got out of the car to take a picture, and got right back in--both due to the heat and because my left ankle was sore from walking too much in the days before. There were people out hiking in the 117-degree heat! I didn't see many civilian vehicles except near the major attractions.

On topic: My rental car was a Dodge Charger 2.7-liter. Hope Pontiac doesn't do a similar decontenting of the G8!