Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2008 Pontiac G8

Comments

• Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Hey, I am sure 70% of the fuel everyone uses is not from the US. You will use $3,000 of RUG per year in a G8 GT assuming 19 MPG. So, $12,600 goes out of the US for each G8 driven for 15K miles and 6 years + whatever % Australia gets from the $33K initial purchase.

Welcome to the Global Economy! Everything is connected.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I almost feel the G8 is like a very cool, fast family sedan. I sat in one, and it really almost reminded me of the 7th generation of the Accord. Perhaps that is what they are gearing for most now, keeping it practical, while adding the sport theme to it all. Like the Dodge Charger, I see many use it, as their main family sedan. If this were a 2 door car only, I think it would limit its usage and lose a few consumers. Now they won't have to compromise comfort with their family when it comes to choosing a car, they can get their sporty appeal, while still being quite practical. I am also very suprised on how economic, even the V8 really is, and looks better than most.

I am very impressed with the overall appeal, love the color palate offered for this car.
    If they want to bring back the Pontiac with a new look and name, then they started in the right direction. Because word is, they could get rid of the Pontiac name in the near future.
  • Options
    guy1974guy1974 Member Posts: 119
    Pushrod - Volvo and Mazda make profits and provide assistance with the development of the Euro Focus (and family of cars including C-Max, Kuga etc). So they are helping Ford.

Unions are not the problem in of themselves, it is when they AND management strike expensive deals. Again Management agree to this. Unions do not do any harm to BMW in Germany.

Bush gets the blame because the economy has been screwed up under his and GOP rule. Unlike the 90's under the Democrats.
  • Options
    cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    Mr. pushrod's 2 cents left me speechless... The "unwieldy-handling Camry" does save fuel, it's what people care about these days, and as circlew correctly mentioned, it reduces our dependence (60% comes from overseas) on foreign oil. "Profit" stays in the US - what profit? Negative $15.5 billion every quarter? Maybe it's because GM pays Mexican, Canadian, and now Chinese salaries more than ever? Assembling Japanese cars here works out better for this economy though we shouldn't be in this business in the first place anymore. Making Buicks for the Chinese is the only thing GM does well these days.

Let's stay on topic though - Yes, if I wanted a rear-wheel well-built sedan for driving ~5K miles/year, I'd get this car instead of the BMW. But the Camry is in its own class and it satisfies more practical needs, so let's not mix it in here.
  • Options
    mrpushrodmrpushrod Member Posts: 80
    I am used to dealing with American car bashers. The fact is Volvo reported a loss of $151 million in the first quarter of 2008. Simple enough to track down “leftlanenews.com. They have been an overall big drain on Ford since the purchase – Do your own research

The fuel used to build the G8 comes from Australia NOT the US

And as “cracovian” pointed out yet again – The Camry does handle unwieldy. Furthermore, the V6 Camry is NOT recommended by consumer reports because it is not reliable according to owner surveys. This means it is really unreliable because there is still a perception that American cars are not as reliable as their Japanese counterparts. This is according to JD powers. As a matter of fact JD powers just announced that American vehicles on the contrary to popular beliefs ARE as reliable (spread is negligible) as their Japanese counterparts and more reliable than vehicles from Europe.

As far as mileage goes, who cares if a Hybrid or even 4 cyl. Camry gets good gas mileage. I drove the vehicle next to the reliable fusion. It is an appliance. They all spin the wrong wheels. That’s what Japan gave us – Vehicles with 60% of the weight on the front tires (not a good scenario for handling) while serving up plenty of torque steer.. Step on the gas, all weight goes to the rear of the vehicle. Faster you accelerate, the lighter the front drive wheels get. Step on the brakes when entering a corner, watch the rear end lift up as all what little weight there is on the rear tires shifts to the front. What is the first thing taught in racing school. Keep the weight balanced front to back via gas and brake for optimum handling.

At least GM’s caddy division realized this is no way to build a car. Yet Honda with its Acura line is still trying to defy physics.

Lastly, GM is not going to put a Camry engine in the 2009 G8 GXP. They are going to put an old fashion pushrod V8 borrowed from the Corvette stable. So I guess you would believe this is going to hurt the America economy because they are not looking at Toyota for their higher performance sedans engine.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Guys there are plenty of foreign v. american car discussions. Let's keep this on topic.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • Options
    paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    disagree with the last statement...the country has taken a nose dive since the 06 democratic congress was voted in on a we can make a change campaign promise.....the last two years have been a disaster.....so is it congress or the president....I say congress.......now back to the car forum.....
  • Options
    I am wondering if anyone can feel the cylinder deactivation on the G8? Dealer told me, that they cannot feel it, obviously, I am in their lot, so they won't tell me honestly.

Let me know, many are freaking out on the 08 Accord VCM V6, saying they can feel it, but not realizing once its broken in more, its could in fact improve with more miles.

Is the G8 flawless when it comes to this feature?
  • Options
    Yes, you can feel it. I own a G8 GT and drove two other G8s. It gives you a slight vibration when it is in 4 cyl mode.It does this when you are cruising along with a light foot on the gas pedal. The more you keep it in this mode the higher the MPG. You can disable it by shifting into sport mode. I achieved 26MPG on a trip by keeping light foot on the accelerator. The G8 does very well on highway gas mileage. All around we get around 20MPG. What's funny is we traded a Lincoln Town Car for the G8 that had dual exhaust and a low rear end ratio (Cartier addition and limo's have this setup) and it achieved an excellent 22MPG all around yet highway mileage was ~ 23.5 MPG (less than the G8. The G8 engine is very quiet and smooth other than when it is in this mode. There is no jerk or when you go in and out of this mode and power delivery is always consistent and there when you need it. And as expected with an engine this size, torque is unbeatable. Anyone driving a vehicle with a 4 Cyl or V6 will appreciate the torque.
  • Options
    eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    These Holden cars are *fantastic*, as are the Chevy V8 engines.
    Testdrive and see for yourself.
  • Options
    I have a feeling though that once the car is truly "broken in" the switching to 4cyl mode will be less felt. Also, I would imagine once that happens, you will see a slight increase in mileage. So really it can only get better. I truly believe a car takes awhile to be broken in, as I now have a 4cyl G6, and ever since I have returned from a 2,400 mile trip, I kid you not, it actually feels much better!! It has more torque in the bottom end, the transmission shifts better. The engines seems more calm now, I only have 6,200miles on it now, but since the trip, when I took it on hills, interstate driving, stop and go, it really feels quite good! So I would imagine you G8 will do the same thing once it has more miles on it, and really taking it on a trip seems like it makes a world of difference for a car. Would I love to own a G8 now? Oh ya! I would get the V8, They offer a really cool color line up too! It seems like it gets decent mileage. My only nag on the G6 is its 4spd transmission! The G8 has a 6spd, with its manual mode option! I love that! I have not test drove a G8 yet, but I should. But, it might make me want one, and I don't plan on owning a pontiac as my next car though.

But, I lease my cars, and the G8 is not very attracted on a lease! I like it, because it looks like a nice rounded sedan, fun, practical, economic for its fun too.
  • Options
    Last bit on the Australian car bit...

I stopped by a dealer, something like 52% of the car is australian sourced. The rest is US (30% somewhat) and Mexico.

-mike
  • Options
    I have read the vehicle will be made in Canada next year. I would definitely feel better if it were made here.

That said, I would like to see GM and Ford live. I think it is no-brainer our companies need to be able to compete in a global economy. This means we can't have the UAW striking or any other union demanding outrages packages and wages. An item is worth so much.If a competitor is producing a better product or an equal product at a better price, why would you fight for better wages? This is unheard of in a small business or even most. non-Union or small companies. Lastly anyone that has worked in factories or high tech, etc knows that people on the line can have a direct impact in quality of the product being produced.

Now back to the G8. My vehicle is broken in. All three vehicles I drove exhibit the subtle feel when you are on the highway and slightly tap the gas so you are neither accelerating or slowing down i.e. 4 cylinder mode. If you push ever so slightly more on the gas the slight vibration stops. Why would you expect a 8 Cylinder engine running on 4 cylinders to be smooth like an eight???. I just dove a Pontiac 4 cylinder Vibe this weekend and it feels like a 4 cylinder all the time. That is why I have always owned eight cylinders. There are eight (four on a four cylinder) cylinders firing per 1 rev of the crank shaft. Therefore, all things equal, the eight cylinder is twice as smooth.
  • Options
    At least the 52% makes the car a screaming success over the rest of Poniac's steel of late!

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Good luck with your new ride and may you have many happy miles!

I test drove the base G8 and it was OK but didn't boil my blood. Looking forward to the GT next!

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    robger99robger99 Member Posts: 42
    In the market for a new sports sedan when my current lease is up in a couple of months so I stopped in at the Pontiac dealer today to look at the g8. Salesperson told me they cannot lease this car and that the monthly payment to buy a gt would be around $600.00! I told her that while it looks like a nice car I would never pay anywhere near that to drive it-I can think of a lot of other cars that I could drive that would be cheaper than that(infiniti/bmw/lexus) I wished her luck in selling them as she is going to need it. By the way they and the dealership a few miles away have about 80 g8s in stock between them.
  • Options
    For $600 lease, I'm all over a 135i. Period.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Though, an amazing car, yes, there are many other cars out there that offer even more bang for the buck. I have seen a few out in town, also heard a customer of mine had bought one too, but I know he probably paid too much, when sooner or later they are going to have to lower the pricing and buy/lease rates to get them moving more. After all, this is in my opinion, pontiac's attempts to re-claim their name plate as something of quality, and I am not sure some would want to take that risk when compared to its price, and they way the hold their value.

Once, the rush is gone, I think I will see them trying to do most things to move them. They are piling up at my dealership, and they apparently said they are moving quite well, but that would be only to tell me, they are not desperate for my money, when perhaps they are. Its like they want to really sell them, but sometimes a company, can over do it, because creating it to be too expensive, and then leaves us walking away, there has to be a happy medium.

So, I wonder realistically how many they want to sell in a year, because I think a few people will dump some serious cash into it, then others will look elswhere, because they know they can get better car for $600 a month. It like a must have, and they'll in a year or so, try to sell it.

This sounds like I am bashing the G8,Its a great car, but when compared with pricing, best bang, overall value, others models simply beat it. If pricing can eventually come down to earth, then it will make more sense. I would think a company, in the economy that we are in, they would open the leasing more, to get them moving and out. Creating a customer base from the start.
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    "For $600 lease, I'm all over a 135i. Period. "

Well, BMWUSA.COM shows a 335i with ( only )
    Premium Pkg & Automatic for less than $600.
    [ plus TT&L ]
    Though for only 10,000 miles / year.
    No 135 'deals' currently shown....
    BMW lease costs have risen ( a lot ) of late.
    They were burned rather badly by lower actual
    values on lease returns than the residuals used in
    calculating the leases...
    - Ray
    Not interested in leasing anything right now...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    Salesperson told me they cannot lease this car and that the monthly payment to buy a gt would be around $600.00

Wow!!! I've heard of porr salesmanship, but that takes the cake. I could understand their saying "no lease deals," or even making it less attractive because of the assumed residual, but to out-and-out refuse to lease is weird.

Not to mention the purchase payment quote without any consideration for the length of the loan (think they assumed 60 months?) or your credit rating.
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    “but when compared with pricing, best bang, overall value, others models simply beat it.”

Well, I think that depends on where your priorities lie.

If you seek & appreciate the brute acceleration and related dynamic abilities of the V8 \ GT version of the G8, and want or need a reasonably large 4-door sedan, I see nothing else close to the price that can provide anything close to the performance.

If those attributes are not among your highest priorities, I would expect the G8 GT to drop off your radar . . .

- Ray
    It is still on mine . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    Well, for a returning customer, BMWFS will pay 3 months of my current lease or .9% financing to purchase. I qualify, so the G8 GT is out for me for now until the incentives start to come in.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    For $600 lease, I'm all over a 135i. Period.

What if you had a family of 4 who you regularly ferried in said vehicle, adult sized family of 4....

-mike
  • Options
    I challenge anyone to find a car in the $29-33k range that can compare to the G8 in terms of size, power, and features.

-mike
  • Options
    I have a family of 4 but this car is mostly my commuter sled. The wife has the standard 7 passenger fare. The 135i gets the bang of the buck and better efficiency for me.

Not a car for an adult-sized family of 4.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    I challenge anyone to find a car in the $29-33k range that can compare to the G8 in terms of size, power, and features.

Hyundai Genesis? Chrysler 300C? Dodge Charger R/T? A 3+year old BMW 545i, Mercedes E500, Audi A6 4.2, Infiniti M45, Chrysler 300C SRT8, Dodge Charger SRT8, Dodge Magnum SRT8? Heck, a GTO?! There's plenty. But I see where you're coming from, though. ;)
  • Options
    Hyundai Genesis? Chrysler 300C? Dodge Charger R/T? A 3+year old BMW 545i, Mercedes E500, Audi A6 4.2, Infiniti M45, Chrysler 300C SRT8, Dodge Charger SRT8, Dodge Magnum SRT8? Heck, a GTO?! There's plenty. But I see where you're coming from, though.

300c - A lot more money
    Genesis - Possibly, but w/v8 will be 37k
    Charger - Maybe, but again, more money equivilently equipped

Used - Hard to compare used v. new, although i did think of an A6, E500 as well, but the used v. new got me.

-mike
  • Options
    nojalopy1nojalopy1 Member Posts: 14
    New year model has been out for many weeks, and you *still* can't find it on the Pontiac web site. Lousy marketing.

I can find inventory going to specific dealer web sites.
  • Options
    I would like to know if the G8 key fob can be programmed to my 08 G6, many times you can use another key fob within the same brand. I really like the new G8 key fob, it reminds me of the VW, Audi fobs, which makes me wonder if they had to get permission to use their designs.

I have seen 08 Accord owners use an 09 acura key fobs, they did have to modify them, but I would be willing to do this. I am pretty sure it can be done. I'll go to the pontiac dealership, and see if I can order a key fob for me, and program it.

If anyone is savvy on this, let me know... :)
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    NO. SUCH a different electrical system, fobs, etc. that it will not work. It works on the Acura/Honda because they share electrical system components and use the same kind of remote systems.

Not the case with the Aussie G8 and the domestic G6 on a completely different platform, etc. So, no dice. I like the switchblade too, but that's not enough. Won't work. The only choice aside from stock with the G6 are GM's new 2-way advanced remote start remotes with a screen that shows data about the car and has greater range, etc. It's a new GM accessory.

Otherwise...back to the great G8!
  • Options
    Well, I am still investigating. Even if I have to buy one, and modify it myself.

Yes, the G8 is awesome, but they are piling up at my dealership. If they offered a decent lease deal, I would highly consider it, but that is the only way. They aren't.

That have some really nice colors offered, and they are not boring or tacky at all.
    I would almost not want to choose black because that is a typical color, that almost would be the only one that would make it pretty much blend in with every other car on the road. I sat in one, but I have not test drove one yet, I think I will soon!
  • Options
    don129don129 Member Posts: 5
    I'm warning you now.... DO NOT test drive the G8 GT!!!!

Once you do, you'll have to have it!!! Thats what happened to me :)
  • Options
    dntdnt Member Posts: 1
    is there any one know where we can put the gauge cluster in the G8 or the GT
  • Options
    Haha, I bet, I have been really really wanting to, but feel that if I do, I will want it.

But, unless they are offer a lease, a decent lease, than I probably won't get one.
  • Options
    lvhatchbklvhatchbk Member Posts: 12
    And that's what happened to me also. I had been researching the G8 GT for a while and went to the dealer yesterday. Test drove the V8 and that was it. After a few hours of the usual horse trading, drove a 2008 Magnetic Gray Metallic G8 GT home. All I can say is wow. Pontiac really nailed this one.
  • Options
    Yes, Pontiac really did a great job! Now, if they can use this concept for all of the their models, than they could have a chance at raising their customer base. This is exactly where they need to be right now. Now, with gas prices at where they are, and where they could possibly be soon, than I see that hurting their sales a bit. I do see many G8's sitting on my dealer lot for awhile. I drive a G6 right now, not by choice, I like it, but if I was given the opportunity to lease the G8 realistically, I would. However, I do plan to go back to Honda/Acura when I get the chance.

I like the metallic Gray, I would tint the windows, and it would not look like an American car, maybe that is why it appeals to me so much. GM, does make me wonder what they were thinking in past models, and what they are doing now to save their reputation which is on the line.
  • Options
    tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    GM threw its reputation in the trashcan years ago. :(
  • Options
    Absolutely correct. It's still there as far as I'm concerned. The G8 is not really a GM made here. It would be crappier if it were!

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Why do people get so hung up on where a car is made or who makes it? I personally judge each car on it's own. BMW, MB, Lexus, Toyota, etc. all have crappy cars or cheaply made cars. The G8 happens to be a good one, and who cares if it's made in australia?

-Mike
  • Options
    I care because it is a great car and the cars made here are not of that caliber. Why the heck can't we make the best? I'm not hng up, though. I would buy the GT at $32K.

BTW, my local dealer has 2 base models and no GT's to be seen. They took off the marketing fee sticker! That's good news.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Yes, I do agree that cars made elsewhere are typically of higher quality.
    Also, there is the fact that when I company does put a new car out and is of higher quality, the people typically don't forget its past. Like for instance, Pontiac, doesn't have the highest of ranks in quality, and now we finally have a great new model, but we have a hard time forgiving its past.

All company's do make a few cheapo models, even the higher end brands do.
    The G8 is great, but pull the door handle, flip a switch, and I notice a bit of cheapness. It is little things like that. Nick picks really, but still the reality, but
    this car is much higher of quality as a whole package. It certainly does not reflect its past, meaning, I would not think it was a GM product if they took the badge off. It should be their trade mark of the company to work off of. Thumbs up! I would totally drive one, but they don't lease them.
  • Options
    I guess then the american made BMWs, MB, Camry, Accord, etc. are also of lower quality?

See there you go stereotyping again.

-mike
  • Options
    The G8 is great, but pull the door handle, flip a switch, and I notice a bit of cheapness. It is little things like that. Nick picks really

My guess is that it's placebo effect. If you slapped a BMW logo or a Porsche logo on the car you would not nitpick or even find those faults. The problem is that it's hard to objectively look at any vehicle.

-mike
  • Options
    You are correct...I should have made myself clear.

All cars designed and built in the U.S.A. by Ford, GM and Chrysler are of secondary quality. The foreign manufacturers, including GM-owned Holden show their quality in looks, driving feel and lasting quality far better....IMHO, of course!

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Yes, your right! I test drove the new G8 yesterday, I drove the V8 model, and it was alot of fun! I could totally see myself getting one of those if I had a smaller family. It would be perfect for fun, and practicality. Great power! It was just there on delivery. I truly loved it, but I would want to accelerate hard all the time, or atleast for the first few months having it. Honestly, if you drive it normal, lol, than you can get decent mileage. I took the car to show my dad at work, he like it, but when it came to the interior, he said it looked a bit plain, I agree, but I also give kudos to Pontiac for doing so, rather than go crazy on this interior like they have done in the past, overdoing it. Its a great start to a great model. Although, I had to correct myself to find the window switches, as they are in the middle of the car rather than on the door. Now when scanning along the car, I saw some areas of vulnerability, meaning areas where I think won't hold up as well with time. Like the outside pillars, they seem like they would easily fade, and this model already had some swirls on them. Again, nick picks, but, I was inspecting, testing it.
    I really loved the car, it would be fun. That was a great test drive. I got to go alone, so that made it better. :)
  • Options
    Obviously you are not much of a reader. According to Consumer reports American cars have been better quality than vehicles from Europe for years now. Furthermore, according to the latest JD powers report American vehicles are just about tied with vehicles from Japanese manufactures. I would like to understand where you are getting your statistics. Are you just making them up??? How many new vehicles do you own? How many late model American vehicles have you tested? How long have you owned them. I just traded two Fords with 200k plus miles each on them. I also presently own a vette, G8 Lincoln and F150.
  • Options
    Read plenty...also owned a few.

2003 Denali - Purchased new - $3,600 worth of repairs so far in 60K miles.

Lincoln LS
    Pontiac GTP
    Chevy Suburban
    Pontiac GrandAm
    Lincoln MVII LSC
    Pontiac Grand Prix
    Buick Park Avenue
    Cadillac FWB D'Elegance
    Crysler 5th Ave.

Don't much car about rag comments...I go by experience.

Always liked the 'vette and will buy one because of the developed heritage and vast improvements. I will test drive the GT if my dealer ever gets one in!

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Sounds like a bunch of older models. I have purchased over 35 new vehicles myself (a bit of a car buff). I was just listing what I own currently in my last response. I even put 280K miles on a 86 Crown Vic. W/Trailer towing package (orig eng & transmission).

Again, if you were to buy a later model V6 Fusion, Milan, or Lincoln MK you would be buying a vehicle much more reliable than a Camry V6.

Furthermore, I repeat, if you did some research you would find that American vehicles are more reliable than vehicles made in Europe and almost tied with Japan.

I would say that both JD powers and Consumer reports used a little more diligence and finesse in their tests as they surveyed thousands of owners and vehicles rather than testing 4 or 5 samples of older American cars owned by one closed minded person such as you used in your quality test. CR & JD Powers even surveyed people such as yourself with deep rooted perception issues that think vehicles from Europe are more reliable than American vehicles. Even when people that own European vehicles report that their cars are not as reliable.

Now that I understand how you did your testing, I think I will just ignore the results and find a more reliable source. Thanks for sharing your test plan with us.
  • Options
    Reliable is relative. You obviously have more experience and sounds like they were good ones. Then there is that little additive called desirability we throw into the mix. A Crown Vic is a workhorse but is it desirable?

I go by this, usually...my BMW wasn't a bad choice because it is high in desirability as well. If you are a driver, you will know. Otherwise, DSFDF.

2008 Vehicle Dependability Study

Audi and Mercedes have a way to go but if you want Ultra high reliability, Toyota and Honda are the standard. To me, their desirability is low but to others, dependability is what is paramount.

Since the G8 is a Pontiac model, you can see the lower reliability which you would call average. The G8, hopefully changes that because it is IMPORTED!

Regards,
    OW

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    JD Power and a lot of others are mostly initial quality.

Crown vic is a bad example, just like the ford ranger because they haven't changed them in about 15+ years! If you always make the same car then yeah eventually you'll get it right. :)

-mike
This discussion has been closed.