Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Pontiac G8

Comments

• white6white6 Posts: 588
    I agree, these should be options. Personally, I couldn't care less about either; but that's just because I don't need em. Lot's of folks want these features and it seems GM is missing out on lots of option dollars by not making them available. I read that the Holden model has nav, but the screen is too low in the dash to meet U.S. regulations :confuse: therefore wasn't made available on the G8. I would imagine the lack of Bluetooth has something to do with the car being engineered/built in Australia as well.

Interesting "updated" 2008 mileage numbers for the GTO; I averaged 20 mpg in daily driving in my 04 A4. I would expect my mileage in a G8 would be 15-20% better than the GTO.

Another advantage over GTO mileage will be running on regular instead of premium. That's the equivalent of getting 7-10% better mileage all by itself.
  • Now we just have to wait for the assumed embargo to end, and we should be getting some detailed, semi-real world info on this puppy.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,550
    From the “Getting To Know Your 2008 G8” booklet:

“6-Way Power Seat Adjustment
    (if equipped)
    The power seat switch is located on the
    outboard side of each front seat.
    • To move a front seat forward or
    rearward, move the switch forward or
    rearward.
    • To adjust the height of a front seat,
    move the switch up or down.
    • To tilt the position of a front seat,
    move the switch in the desired
    direction.”

Also:

Seatback and Lumbar Adjustment
    The recline knob and lumbar adjustment
    knob are located on the outboard side of
    the seatback.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,517
    cool. so if that's all accurate, its actually a 10-way seat. You'd think they'd advertise that, huh?

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

“. . its actually a 10-way seat. You'd think they'd advertise that, huh?”

A discussion of G8 marketing ( so far ) I expect will be fruitless.

Your point regarding the seat adjustments may be valid.
    I have yet to see the actual ‘slick’ G8 sales brochure – though I understand that some dealers do have them.

I do recognize that there are significant difficulties with launching a car when it is produced overseas & shipped here across the ( wide ) ocean.

Yet it seems to me that GM \ Pontiac could have learned a thing or 2 about the logistics of such a launch from the GTO and from the many other import models launched each year.

Some potential buyers may well see this car at an upcoming auto show, grab a brochure & reject the G8 out of hand based on a quick scan of features list. Possibly discarding the G8 due to:

No integrated XM.
    No HUD available.
    6–way instead or 8 or 10 or 12-way adjustable seats.
    Or some other item(s) that some potential buyers want \ need,
    And that are missing at launch . . .

Crossing the G8 off any list of potential purchases based on the ‘check-list’ sort of preliminary evaluation seems a bit superficial & unfair – but I have actually “worked” a few auto shows here in Atlanta. And I have seen some ‘interesting’ reactions from people after spending just a few seconds in a front seat or scanning a window sticker.

One challenge for marketing of the G8 GT \ V8 ( I mean no disrespect in any of my posts regarding the V6 version – it is just not of any interest to me ) is that some people are likely to look at the GT as a ‘cut rate’ BMW 550i. And some will see it as a BMW ‘wannabe’.

I hasten to add immediately that I see no way that GM \ Pontiac ( or any manufacturer ) can provide ** ALL ** of the goodness built into a $58K+ MSRP BMW, for something in the low $30K range.

In the acceleration category, it appears ( darn the embargoed actual times various publications will likely release in a few weeks ) that the G8 GT will be quite close to the BMW 550. The trunk is larger.

The seats have what I see as ‘adequate’ adjustability – for me.

The key goal of marketing the G8, it seems to me, ought to be to convince people to go to a dealer & drive one.

I believe that most first year sales of the V8 version will be sold based on dynamics ( acceleration, transmission behavior, handling, ride, etc. ) and the interior being ‘good enough’. However one defines that.

Does this mean that bringing ( ‘rushing’?? ) the G8 to market, without items that some want or need, is a mistake?

I do not know.

I expect that the 2009 model year ( whenever that starts for the G8 – soon?? ) may bring one or 2 of these items.

Is it a mistake to launch with so few G8s ( V6s or V8s ) that many dealers will not have one. Possibly for months. And then, smaller dealers ( like where I bought my last Grand Prix ) may see only a very few for the whole rest of calendar 2008.

Again, I do not know.

Pending Edmunds ( and everyone else’s ) reports & my own opportunity to test drive one, the jury I still out on whether or not this will prove to be My Next Sport Sedan.

And it appears that with a relative few at dealers, it may be somewhat difficult to find somewhere to test drive a GT \ V8 – anytime soon. I drove about 200 miles ( round trip ) to test drive the first Grand Prix GXP delivered to a dealer in Georgia. Because I wanted to test drive one, right then – and make some decisions. Right now, although I am very, very curious – I can wait to make a decision.

For those who have been waiting for a RWD V8 Pontiac, and want or need ( lease ending soon, etc. ), I can see ( and I have read ) a level of annoyance & frustration with this whole situation.

We shall see how this plays out.
    How initial sales go.
    Etc.

Sounds like these should actually appear at ( some ) dealers within 30 days or so.

As I have said here before, I applaud GM \ Pontiac for bringing what appears to be a very good, V8 RWD Sport Sedan to market. I am watching with great interest, but no great urgency. . .
    - Ray
    Will drive some distance again, if required, for opportunity to test . . .
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Yup next spring I'll be in the market and I'll likely wait for the 2010 (due in spring 09) Legacy to come out as it will be full-sized with an H6 Turbo putting out around 350-375hp and a 6MT. So once that hits the market I'll compare that and the G8 and see which is better. I may also consider a used CTSV as well (1st gen).

-mike
  • bigelmbigelm Posts: 995
    Too many pages to scan but I can confirm that Pontiac marketing failed to identify that the premium pkg gives you power 6 way seats with manual height and lumbar adjustability. So technically you have a total of 10 way adjustments. Also it's for both driver and front passenger, at least the pic in the brochure shows this.
    No mention on the 6MT in there though :(

Dealers are already tagging their vehicles as of Jan. 31, 2008. They will be able to tag their allocated amount for January and do so again for February. Tagging will end Feb. 27, 2008 for the first shipment, so if your dealer was unable to tag what you want the first time around, they can for February allotment.

Quoted GM Tagging Announcement

GM is pleased to announce that the initial tagging for 2008 MY G8 units will begin on Thursday, January 31, 2008 and conclude on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 for monthly tagging allowances based on the January consensus.

If a desired pattern order is not available at gminventory.com when tagging, please check back within your monthly tagging period since the site will be updated regularly as vehicles are shipped.
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=124607?tid=edmunds.il.ho- me.photopanel..1.*

"Pontiac also says the G8 GT will do zero to 60 mph in just 5.3 seconds and run the quarter-mile in 13.8 seconds at 101 mph."

I had previously seen the 5.3 - not the 13.8 @ 101
    hmmmm... so does that indicate when they will arrive? If first shipment tagging ends Feb. 27th ... does that mean something like early April in the showrooms?

January's batch will start to appear in dealers beginning of March (timeframe is 4-6 weeks), so yes.... we can predict that February's will appear late March, early April. I have a fully loaded Ignition Orange tagged. - Should be showing up first week of March. It's an AT but we'll see if I decide to wait for an MT.
    ok... so when they say first shipment, they don't mean the first boats or something.(?) So the real first shipment went out in Jan?

The first shipment has arrived in California and are now going through Customs and put on transport truck to their respective dealers across country.
    good to know.
    thanks.

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,050
    making the auto show rounds. I saw it at DC and again at Philly. I swore that if I ever bought another new car, it would be something more economical. But I have to admit, that new G8 is seducing me. :shades:
    According to another forum, 2009 model goes into production on March 3, 2008. Additional colors include something called "Karma Metallic." Supposed to be a dark grey/blue; I'm very interested in seeing this in-person. Also, rumor has it the GXP version will be available soon after 09 model starts up; so far only 6-speed manual, upgraded brakes and some cosmetic int/ext changes are verified. We would assume a horsepower upgrade, but so far there have not been any specifics.
    And XM for 2009.
    At least one item I was hoping for...
    Bluetooth.
    ... the embargo on test results \ impressions will be lifted on Friday:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0802_2008_pontiac_g8_gt_first_tes- t
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,387
    Although the Pontiac G8 GT has yet to hit the market, its combination of a rear-drive V8 — outputting 362 horsepower — and a sub-$30,000 price tag has already earmarked it as a performance favorite. And as good as the GT version looks, the GXP model promises to be exponentially better.

Thanks to a leak by a Pontiac dealership employee — and posted on G8GT.com — we have the first indication of what engine will be under the hood of the G8 GXP. A picture of General Motors' inventory controls website reveals that the GXP version will be powered by GM's LS3 6.2L V8 — the very same engine founded in the current C6 Corvette.

Although the shot doesn't list any horsepower ratings, in C6-guise the LS3 engine makes upwards of 436 horsepower. However, look for the 6.2L V8 to be slightly detuned in the G8 GXP

Regards,
    OW
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,387
    Great links! It's 1969 all over again. Challenger, Camaro SS G-8??? Should be GTO.

Regards,
    OW
  • So, I need to keep my '01 Impala for 1 more year, and let the initial rush for these die down, with the resulting easing of the price.

I hope the d-seat will adjust enough for a guy 6'3", 300lbs and 50" thru the shoulders.

The Imp was just fine in that regard.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    Please post comments about this comparison here.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• With $4 a gallon gas around the corner, I doubt we'll see that happen.
    The official list of changes is [ very ] short:

Pontiac G8

Deletions

Exterior color (25U) Stealth Blue Metallic
    Exterior color (77U) Ignition Orange Metallic

New Features

Exterior color (17U) Maverick Silver Metallic
    Exterior color (26U) Sport Red Metallic
    Exterior color (39U) Stryker Blue Metallic
    Exterior color (64U) Pacific Slate Metallic

(U2K) XM Satellite Radio (standard on all models)
    (UWE) Bluetooth for phone, personal cell phone connectivity to vehicle audio system and HMI (Human Machine Interface) (standard on all models)
  • nojetsnojets Posts: 31
    Since GM doesn't get it - they are leaving Nav out of the G8 even in the 09, anyone know of a aftermarket install that integrates with the dash screen?
This discussion has been closed.