Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Pontiac G8

Comments

• From GoAuto:

Company chairman and managing director Denny Mooney said that he was anticipating approval for the US program, "You will see an announcement in the next three to four months. Assuming it happens, (shipments) would start a little beyond that. I am not making an official announcement (in this discussion), but it looks very favourable"

and

"I can tell you unequivocally that we designed the VE with the US in mind."
  • rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,989
    WOW, great post pal. !!!

Thanx for the link.

Rocky :shades:
  • I really don't want the Pontiac designers bastardizing Holden's fantastic nose and rear end on this thing. I even like the Holden emblem in the grill and on the rear lid. They should just bring it over as is and not mess with a good thing.

• bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    All the necessary body parts, badges, and other garnish to convert a Pontiac GTO back to a Holden Monaro are available in the Australian aftermarket, so even if GM does mess up the Pontiac G8 you can buy the parts to set it right.
  • you're right. i wish they wouldn't mess with it at all, however, i would rather have it here and have it messed up a little bit than not have it at all! i've been waiting for a car like this for a long time and as long as the horsepower/performance/price is good, i can live with the rest!
    Me too.....This car with a few technology's sprinkled down from Cadillac could be the best performance sedan we've seen from the big 3 in many moons. ;)

Rocky
  • Anybody know if there's a chance that this thing will have AWD as an option?
  • From World of Car Fans:

"This time, however, there will be much more extensive differences between the Holden and the Pontiac. The Pontiac G8 will have its own sheetmetal and its own interior, setting it apart from the Commodore.

The G8 is expected to be produced in Australia, as was the Pontiac GTO. It will offer a choice of V6 or V8 engines. Introduction of the G8 is not expected until at least 2008. "
    Motor Trend says it appears to be a "GO" also. ;)

Rocky
  • meekinmeekin Posts: 1
    I beleive the basic archeteture this car was is built on was designed with AWD in mind. for those who were interested, the commodore is available with to 3.6L global V6 engines (180kw,330nm and 195kw,340nm) and a 6.0L L98 V8 (270kw,530nm)
    This car should offer incredible performance/equipment for money.
    I agree.... ;)

Rocky
  • From Drive Magazine:

We are seriously planning to import a lot of Commodore SS sedans as Pontiac G8s," Mr Lutz said, adding that Holden could export up to 50,000 Commodores a year if the model was priced correctly.
  • It is a shame that G.M. is going to ruin this beautiful car by Pontiacing it, and they wonder why they keep losing market share. If they can't bring it over as is they needn't bother. You would think that they would have learned some sort of lesson when they ruined the Manaro by converting it to a GTO. I guess we will soon find out.
  • From Auto Week:

"The Holden Commodore SS will be called the Pontiac G8 and priced around $25,000, according to the Herald Sun in Melbourne, Australia. "

Althought the next paragraph has Lutz stating, " The volume range is 30,000 to 50,000. It depends on how we price it.."
  • From Detroit Free Press:

"Production of a second-generation model with unique Pontiac styling should begin at GM's plant in Oshawa, Ontario, in 2009."

Unique Pontiac styling? Uh oh.
    WOW, so it's going to really be called a G8.... :surprise: This should be exciting. ;) Motor Trend claims a limited edition version with 502 horsepower is in the works so we shall see. ;)

Keep this forum going y'all :shades:

Rocky
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    first off, the Commodore isnt all that beautiful. Secondly, recent Pontiacs havent been gaudy or ugly by any stretch. Their most recent cars are the G6 and Solstice and I think both are attractive so I don't know what you are so afraid of. I suspect they will give the car a Pontiac front end and possibly modify the rear end. I dont see a problem with that at all.

Autoweek is reporting a V6 and 362hp V8 will be available with 6 speed auto and manual. Sounds good to me, especially if the price range is $25k to $33k or so.
    Agree sounds like a great deal and Motor Trend says a limited edition 502 hp GXP/GTX is in the works....*grin* :shades:

It needs some of that 08' CTS Gadgetology at least as options even if the price goes up $3-4K it would be worth it. ;)

Rocky
  • I know you're into that gadget goodness, and I do hope they offer the gadgets as options, but I don't need any of that stuff. Just give me a fast, reliable, four-door sleeper.

I have heard rumors of a version for Chevy coming over here. Perhaps the Chevy can be my simplified version and you can get the gadgeted-up Pontiac.
    Well what you are looking for is the 09' Impala and it should be more simple. Big RWD Sedan w/ big engine. I think the G8 should take on Acura's TL/Infiniti G35 :)

I think the CTS should aim for BMW/Audi/Lexus ;)

Rocky
  • 2009? Cr-p, I don't want to wait until 2009. Sorry, but now I'm really hoping for my G8!
    Check out Holden's page if you want to see what the G8 is likely to offer. The car has a lot of features but they will make the car kind of expensive if they bring all that to the US. I would hope this car maxes out at $33k in the states. For people with an open mind who care more about value than brand name it promises to be a great option in this class. It should give the G35, TL and 300C a run for their money.
    Totally agree with your assessment :)

Rocky
    I for one cant wait until the Chicago show to see this vehicle and the Astraa.

When is the chicago show pal ????

Rocky

P.S. Can't wait either !!! ;)
  • Looks like there are hood scoops: ABC News video (flash).
    creamcitian,

Dude you are awesome for finding that video. I want to thank-you pal for your research. ;) The G8 grill looks awesome. :D

Rocky
    I REALLY like that front end and those rims. I hope those are production rims but they look like they might be 19s which would indicate they arent for production. I like the front of this car more than the Holden to be honest.

chicago auto show media days are next Wednesday and Thursday.

So next Wednesday or Thursday we will see it ?

Rocky
    The unveil should be tomorrow although some fuzzy pics are already on the internet from a webcam at Chicago. It looks good to me. I really want to see the interior though.
This discussion has been closed.