Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Pontiac G8

Comments

• rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    Just wait until the RWD 500+ hp Grand Prix debutes. Will they be able to say that's boring ? :P

Rocky :shades:
    Just curious if any of you had some facts or rumors to share with us ?

Rocky
  • Some confusing info here: http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/11786/2006-holden-commodore-ve.html

Nothing mentioned at all concerning the next Pontiac Grand Prix, which is a little disconcerting - I'm putting off buying a car until the Holden comes over here. Mostly it mentions possible Chevy cars coming from it. It also mentions possible price points.
    Read Motor Trends November? issue. It says the Holden Grand Prix could be here as early as 08' ;) They say a limited edition has been rumored with a 502 hp. 7.0 LS-7 V-8

Rocky
  • I keep seeing different numbers for horsepower for the "base" Grand Prix - I've seen 360, 362 and 400. I don't suppose anyone has any definitive answer? I hate all this speculation which just means I should stop looking for news of it online, but d-mnit I just can't wait! I hope hope hope it will be at least 400 horses like the current gto, otherwise, why bother?
    I think the base engine should be the ectotec turbo 4-cylinder from the Solitice/Sky. Price her in the low-mid $20's. The 400 hp. should be the GTP model for mid $30's and the GXP limited edition should be a LS-7 engine from the vette in the low-mid $40's. ;)

Rocky
  • As long as I can get the 400 horses for the price of the current gto or less, nobody will get hurt!
    Well I suspect it will be a few more grand, but then again maybe not. ;) Regardless it will be a fair deal, and one will be able to own a high performance car that won't break the bank. :) I also expect the new Grand Prix, to be more upscale than the GTO. I hope a powerful DVD-Audio unit along with heated and AC seats make production. A good voice recognition system w/ Navi would be cool as well. I'd set the packages up like Acura. A base, and a technology package. It works well with Acura, and I see no reason why it wouldn't work well with GM's brands IMHO.

Rocky

P.S. thanx for the post and activity in this forum.
  • shoot, no worries about the activity, i am completely looking forward to this car and am interested in any info i can get on it.
    Well, we think the same in that regard. ;)

Rocky
  • From GoAuto:

Company chairman and managing director Denny Mooney said that he was anticipating approval for the US program, "You will see an announcement in the next three to four months. Assuming it happens, (shipments) would start a little beyond that. I am not making an official announcement (in this discussion), but it looks very favourable"

and

"I can tell you unequivocally that we designed the VE with the US in mind."
    WOW, great post pal. !!!

Thanx for the link.

Rocky :shades:
  • I really don't want the Pontiac designers bastardizing Holden's fantastic nose and rear end on this thing. I even like the Holden emblem in the grill and on the rear lid. They should just bring it over as is and not mess with a good thing.

• bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    All the necessary body parts, badges, and other garnish to convert a Pontiac GTO back to a Holden Monaro are available in the Australian aftermarket, so even if GM does mess up the Pontiac G8 you can buy the parts to set it right.
  • you're right. i wish they wouldn't mess with it at all, however, i would rather have it here and have it messed up a little bit than not have it at all! i've been waiting for a car like this for a long time and as long as the horsepower/performance/price is good, i can live with the rest!
    Me too.....This car with a few technology's sprinkled down from Cadillac could be the best performance sedan we've seen from the big 3 in many moons. ;)

Rocky
  • Anybody know if there's a chance that this thing will have AWD as an option?
  • From World of Car Fans:

"This time, however, there will be much more extensive differences between the Holden and the Pontiac. The Pontiac G8 will have its own sheetmetal and its own interior, setting it apart from the Commodore.

The G8 is expected to be produced in Australia, as was the Pontiac GTO. It will offer a choice of V6 or V8 engines. Introduction of the G8 is not expected until at least 2008. "
    Motor Trend says it appears to be a "GO" also. ;)

Rocky
  • meekinmeekin Posts: 1
    I beleive the basic archeteture this car was is built on was designed with AWD in mind. for those who were interested, the commodore is available with to 3.6L global V6 engines (180kw,330nm and 195kw,340nm) and a 6.0L L98 V8 (270kw,530nm)
    This car should offer incredible performance/equipment for money.