Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Pontiac G8

Comments

• mrsyjmrsyj Posts: 77
    They have announced production of 40k-50k cars which isnt a lot at all. The Grand Prix sells far more than that although many of its sales are to fleets. I would think this car will be selling very close to MSRP for a while.

I read that the first shipment of cars has left Austalia already. They have already run print ads in magazines so I am thinking you will see cars on lots by the end of January. I just want to know when it will be tested by magazines.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,253
    My dealer is allocated one (Central NJ) due in Feb/March). Many will buy this without a test drive which is not a good policy.

I will wager that when the dealers do get in their measly allocations, the MSRP will be exceeded by a few grand, as was during the advent of the GTO.

Any takers?

Regards,
    OW
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    probably the same thing will happen when the new Solstice was released in 06...many dealers that had one on the lot wouldnt even let you test drive it.....and all were sold for MSRP or over........wait a few months for the frenzy to subside...then order it......thats what Im doing with the CTS......will order this spring....and dealers are giving me near invoice if I order....and charging close to MSRP if buying off the lot..because they can.......and people are willing to pay it to have the first on their block!
    Exactly! You know the story of the Solstice...sold like hot cakes after that Donald Trump Apprentice episode.

Now, they are rotting on the lots!

Regards,
    OW
    General Motors' Holden manufacturing plant in Adelaide, South Australia is now running at full capacity producing the Pontiac G8. The plant — which produces the Commodore model under several brands, including Holden, Vauxhall, Chevrolet, Pontiac and soon to be Daewoo — is currently producing 620 vehicles a day.

GM expects about half of the vehicles made at the plant will be for export, something Holden has been wanting. "For 60 years, we have been producing world class vehicles primarily for the Australian market. That market has developed into one of the most crowded in the world with almost 50 brands now competing for a share of only 1 million new vehicles annually," GM Holden chairman and managing director Chris Gubbey told Just-Auto.

Gubbey continued: "GM has recognized Holden's expertise and has entrusted the design and engineering of the group's large rear-wheel drive cars to us."

The G8 is expected to hit Pontiac showrooms in the first quarter of 2008.

That about sums it up...limited supply = higher price.

Regards,
    OW
    waiting is definitely a good idea because the early cars will command premium prices. I dont think demand will fall off like the Solstice because this isnt a niche car at all. If the car does well I'm sure they will increase production next year to meet demand but even if they do this car will be low production by Grand Prix standards. The good thing for Pontiac is that they likely wont have to do much advertising, the people who want this type of car will know about it.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,894
    Does that say limited numbers? I'm not so sure. My math tells me that's over 6000 Commodores for export per month. That's 72,000 per year. I guess the question is, how many of those are for the US? I suppose 30k-40k is limited by GM standards, but those aren't numbers I think should command a premium, personally.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

I suppose 30k-40k is limited by GM standards, but those aren't numbers I think should command a premium, personally.

They shouldn't but if dealers follow the GTO strategy, the same fate awaits, IMO. GM does not hold the cache for a limited edition sedan and never will.. all shell games aside. You can jack the price up based on limited supply just so far in a market flooded with other choices in this price range. Like the CTS, it's easy to shop Infinity, Lexus or BMW when the price gets too high.

Regards,
    OW
  • shaigshaig Posts: 14
    It's real simple. The moment they push themselves into the bottom of the $40k range for an OTD equipped vehicle, which puts them in a different class of market demographic. There they begin to compete against a higher end niche (3 series, etc.). Their only way to succeed with this vehicle beyond the initial sell is to ensure that they are priced below that mark. I think that a low volume play will lead to exactly the same result as the GTO.
    Agreed...the G8 will never have the cache to bring it upmarket in comparison to the competition. When you can get a CTS for less than this car, forget about it, game over.

Besides, this car looks a lot like the Saturn Aura. Pretty boring. Where's the creativity?? OTOH, the Camaro and Challenger are VERY interesting.

Regards,
    OW
    well I wouldnt say rotting on the lots...you can find them in dealer inventory now....and it isnt exactly convertible buying weather as we enter winter...the solstice is still out selling the MX-5...which has been the bench mark two seat roadster for the last 15 years....remember production on this car is only about 20K a year....

we waited 7 months for ours....and yes...we did pay MSRP for it.....but in the long run the dealer gave us a great deal on our next car purchase...so really cant complain......
    Perhaps I was too critical. The point being the games need not be played. Either you have a winner and you supply like it is one or forget it and start over.

Enjoy your car with best of luck.

Regards,
    OW
    Oh iIconcur..personally I beleive that GM should penalize any dealer that charges that Adjusted Market Value price for a car based on its popularity.....granted they are independent dealers...but the customers only see them as representing GM as a whole....reduce allocations....award good dealerships with more cars....etc....
    I believe even Ferrari with a 2+ year wait on the F430 does not adjust the price when ordered...the buyers are willing to pay double due to the irresistible appeal and money-is-not-an-object finances to get one fast. The secondary dealer market gouges these blinded customers and gladly oblige!

Pontiac's potential customers just walk away from such utter nonsense. To think paying MSRP for A U.S. CAR and when you drive it off the lot, you loose thousands in the first couple of miles!!!

Regards,
    OW
    yes..but some people just want to be the first to have the hottest car or electronic device......the CTS is going from MSRP in some regions....I bet the G8 will as well when if finally comes out.....I have even found dealers trying to charge MSRP for the new malibu......and look what happened with the IPhone when it was first released!!
    Yep, early adopters...gotta luv 'em!

Regards,
    OW
    the G8 will be hot at first but the hype will die down. Not to say the car wont have staying power. This isnt the GTO for many reasons. a) its cheaper and b) its a practical sedan not a limited capability coupe. With a base price of $27k this car is priced right and will do just fine, especially with the limited production numbers.
    Let's see how many go at the door at $27K. I will see at my dealer in a few weeks what to expect regarding orders and let everyone know what feedback I get.

Regards,
    OW
  • jbar2jbar2 Posts: 8
    Just like the base model Dodge Charger or Chrysler 300, the base G8 will find a home with the buyers that go in wanting (wishing for) the top-end models but can't leave empty handed (can't say no). I received a written quote, TT&L included for $32,800 for the fully optioned G8. It's not a bad price if it's what you want.
    some people may want the better fuel economy of the V6 and feel the V8 is overkill. Not everyone wants a V8, especially if it gets 15mpg in the City which is likely to be the case for the G8 GT. the G8 base car will not be as stripped down as the base Charger/300. Those cars come with weak V6 and 4 speed standard as well as wheel covers. The G8 comes with standard 18s and a 256hp V6/5 speed auto.