Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Pontiac G8

Comments

• holdenguyholdenguy Posts: 145
    I cannot believe what I am reading here.
    You guys are getting the bargain of the century.
    Our $AU is almost the same as yours.
    We pay just under $50K for an SS, your V8 GT is only a bit above $30K.
    I emailed insideline about the mistakes on their GXP article.
    This car is no "warmed up Commodore", it is a HSV.
    We pay $70K + for these wonderful cars.
    If you can get one of those for $39k, I'm moving over there ;-)
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,401
    I'll bet no more than US$41,000 LOADED!. It's got to compete with the Challenger SRT-8 and the upcoming Camaro which probably will see a 400/400 SS version for around the same dinero.

I priced an SRT-8 (425/420) and added all options and the price is $41,878.

Regards,
    OW
  • white6white6 Posts: 588
    Well, I stopped by the Pontiac dealership yesterday on the way to the Chevy store (my brother was taking delivery of a new Silverado) and, low and behold, they let me test drive a G8 GT. Same car that has been collecting dust in the showroom for the past 6 weeks (with a $5,000 market adjustment) was now on display out front. Very impressive drive. Handling/steering/ride was (IMHO) just about perfect. And that's with the 19-inch wheels (sport package). I have a "number" to get supplier discount, though I doubt anyone around here would honor it. I also have about $900 built up on my GM Mastercard, which I could combine with the $1,000 Loyalty rebate (wife drives a 2006 Impala), so even at sticker I would be looking at $30,000 even (plus TTT). Now all I have to do is find a dealer that will sell me a Phantom Black Premium Sport GT for no more than MSRP!

BTW, the $1,000 incentive is a "loyalty" rebate; you must currently own a 1999 or newer GM vehicle to qualify. It expires on May 21.
    Remind me who on this board mentioned that Pontiac would not follow what they did with the GTO...history is repeating itself.

Regards,
    OW
  • bigelmbigelm Posts: 995
    If you are referring to the markups, that is not Pontiac, it's the dealers. For the most part, there are dealers who are willing to do business, while others want to make a fortune with one sale :rolleyes:
    So, the dealers will add the "Kiss of Death" to this one also. If GM can't control dealers, strikes and innovative new products, we will be full circle once again! Post Haste!

Regards,
    OW
  • wideglidewideglide Posts: 146
    Tell the stealers to stick it. FWIW, CarsDirect.com is quoting a price about halfway between invoice and MSRP. Worth a look....

Mark
    '98 Acura CL 3.0
    '00 SVT Contour (wrecked and awaiting resurrection)
    '94 H-D Heritage Softail
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    each dealer is an independent of GM....so their isnt much GM can do other than to cut car allocations to the dealer on popular models......

markups on the G8..go figure...same thing happened to the Solstice when if first came out...now you can get them for invoice two years later.......if you want the latest hot toy first..you pay...otherwise..be patient......they will soon be on the lots for under MSRP.......especially with gas headed to $4 a gallon by summer!!!
    Agreed...price just shot up big over the weekend. G8 is a little more dull at 18 MPG combined specification.

I guess they have to make money somehow so new models take the prize...unless they kill it in the exercise. Let's see what happens.

Regards,
    OW
  • nojalopy1nojalopy1 Posts: 12
    I was getting excited about a G8 until I found it has no option for OEM satellite radio. What's the story?
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,941
    story is wait a few months for a 2009 - xm is standard then.
    reason: no satellite radio for the bottom hemisphere yet , took a while to shoehorn it into the Holden. me, i want satellite backseat tv for the kids.
  • cracoviancracovian Posts: 337
    I was looking at the inventory a while back - most G8s (and mostly the intial load of GTs) were sold out. Now I'm back and there are a bunch of V6s sitting at dealerships. Does anyone know what the mix is and if V6s are selling well? Gas prices aside, V8 seems like a much better deal.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,582
    Your profile indicates that you are in Atlanta.
    There certainly are V8s around here.
    ( I live in Duluth. )
    Last I checked, only a few minutes ago, the G8 search function ** STILL ** appears to be “broken” . . .
    In that it only shows V6 \ Base models in inventory.
    Even when you choose GT as the “Model”.
    Thus I ‘built’ the URLs below – to show me ( only ) V8 \ GTs.

If you can not just click it ( it is a rather long URL ) you may be able to copy & paste it into a browser window?

HTH.
    - Ray

http://www.pontiac.com/vehiclelocator/locateVehicle.do?make=PG&vendorId=&maximum- Count=250&searchCountry=US&modelDesignator=2EC69&proximity=3000&proximityUnitOfM- easure=MILES&includeDuplicateVendors=true&modelDescrip=G8&styleDescrip=GT&vehicl- eModel=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pontiac.com%2Fimages%2Fgmbp%2F16002%2Fvehicle%2F2008%2Fm- ed%2F2008_G8.jpg&brand=divisional&originatingBrand=DIVISIONAL&year=2008&modelId=- 251&bstyle=208&searchType=0&postalCode=30097&searchCity=&searchState=&dealerName- =&vendorSearchCity=&vendorSearchState=&x=39&y=6

http://www.gmbuypower.com/vehiclelocator/locateVehicle.do?isRankVehicle=true&sor- tType=vehicleRank&displayInTemplate=false&defaultpath=true&hostingSite=gmvs&maxi- mumCount=250&make=pg&postalCode=30096&proximity=500&proximityUnitOfMeasure=MILES- &includeDuplicateVendors=true&searchCountry=US&submit=Submit&modelDesignator=2EC- 69&searchType=0&vendorId=158398.0&style=GT%20Sedan&zip=30096&makeId=002&vehicleM- odel=/images/gmbp/16002/vehicle/2008/med/2008251.gif&year=2008&sellingSource=16&- subModel=&subModelId=251&BAC=158398.0&modelId=085&pvc=208&mmc=2EC69&brand=G8%20S- edan&model=G8%20Sedan&type=%20%20%20&typeDescrip=%20%20%20&optionCode=&preferred- Options=&preferredColor=&style=GT%20Sedan&styleDescrip=GT%20Sedan&styleId=GT%20S- edan&dealerName=BARANCO+BUICK+PONTIAC+GMC&dealerURL=&dealerStreet=4355%20HWY%207- 8&dealerCity=LILBURN&dealerRegionCode=GA&dealerPostalcode=30047&dealerBpManagerN- ame=Owen%20S.%20Birkett&dealerBpPhone=(800)%20790-5140&nameplateids=004^002^012^- &partnerID=900001&userType=GMBP&regionId=&currentOfferTerms=36
    Excellent links - It sure looks like there are a ton of both models in stock and here I thought all V8s were gone :-) It seems like it's a simple fix but having this important function broken for an extended period of time costs GM real sales and money. I guess they can afford it? Maybe the Webmaster went on strike...
    “simple fix but having this important function broken for an extended period of time costs GM real sales and money”

I’d agree.

I have actually sent email to a GM Brand Communications Manager ( not Pontiac - that I had exchanged emails with previously on other matters ) concerning a similar situation.

It was months before it was corrected.

[[[ sigh ]]]

Glad they were helpful.

Have you now seen & driven one?
    - Ray
    Not a computer programmer – oh, wait, that still ** IS ** part of my job description . . .
    I saw and evaluated one in person a year ago (They had them hidden in some Kennesaw warehouse). I haven't driven one but as a former proud owner of a 2004 GTO I know what to expect :-) It was one of the "family" cars we looked at but after considering poor Pontiac service, the inflated price and the lack of rebates available to non-GM owners, I didn't have enough ammo to convince my wife not get a Sienna instead :-) We love the van. I'll get the G8 once the price is right. Dealers can keep it for now.
    So, the black G8 base sticker totaled $30,600 plus the MAP = $33,600 that I saw tonight on Route 9. Therefore, GT will be $35,600+ for added options.

Too rich for me. Too many other options out there.

Hope it doesn't work out for Pontiac in the long run.

Regards,
    OW
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    dont thing the MAP will last long....with the cost of gas fast approaching $4...., besides, those who want the toys first should pay .....otherwise be patient...II was going after an 08 CTS....however at 16/25 MPG.....I'll keep my 04 Chevy Malibu a while longer at 25/32...........
    Smart..wait until they bleed incentives...makes good sense. What a way to alienate customers!

Regards,
    OW
    These ridiculous mark-ups aren't directly related to Pontiac, but to the greedy dealers. The G8 has only been available for 6 weeks or so; Pontiac dealers are notorious for this behavior. I purchased a 2004 GTO for $8,000 below sticker; identical car was priced $5,000 over sticker 9 months prior. If you really want one of these, be just a bit patient. I have already seen some improvement in pricing strategies locally. Give it a month or two and things should improve. I'm curious to see how much (if any) of a price increase the 2009 models will have, since they will be hitting dealers in only a couple of months. How many dealers are going to stick to their "Market Adjustment" stickers when these 2008 models are, essentially, a model-year-old already. :shades:
  • harley07harley07 Posts: 1
    I test drove the G8 GT yesterday afternoon. None of the dealers that I have looked at here in Houston have any mark ups. They are all going for MSRP. The GT I test drove yesterday has been at the dealer for 28 days, and most of the others have lasted less than 10. I was told that if I wanted that one I could get it for a discount.
    “Too rich for me. Too many other options out there.

Hope it doesn't work out for Pontiac in the long run.”

2 questions:

Q1: What other options, exactly?
    If the acceleration offered is of interest, I only see the Dodge Charger R/T as a viable alternative – given the performance \ price balance of a G8 GT.

Clearly, there are quicker sedans – everything I can think of is smaller and \ or at a higher price.

Q2: Why do you hope it doesn’t “work out” for Pontiac?

They have brought ( IMHO ) a performance bargain to market – at a very aggressive MSRP.

Should they be penalized for the (mis-)behavior of some of the franchised dealers – that are most emphatically NOT ( for better or worse ) a part of Pontiac \ GM?

Some dealers near me ( Atlanta ) have cars and are not asking MAP.
    So – if you happen to drive a GM vehicle, price of a fully loaded G8 GT w/Premium, Sport & Sunroof is $31,745 + TTL.

- Ray
    Confused, as usual . . .
    Q1 Answer: Charger, Challenger, 135I, G35 (smaller but very close to the price considering MAP) 135i will do everything better except room. At $35K, the options add up!

Q2 Answer: GM needs to ensure this performance bargain is successful. If they can not control greedy dealers, I hope the same fate as the GTO befalls the G8.

The dealers without MAP are the light at the end of the tunnel. What I do not know is how many will be turned off by MAP and how many fair deals will be made. No doubt MAP is the chink in the armor!

Did those dealers near you offer the GTO at $32K price back then?

Regards,
    OW
    "Q1 Answer: Charger, Challenger, 135I, G35 (smaller but very close to the price considering MAP) 135i will do everything better except room. At $35K, the options add up!" circlew

Challenger? 135? I really don’t believe it is remotely fair to consider these coupes as competition for a 4DR G8 GT. Though you may certainly compare anything you’d like to anything else, I suppose.

The June issue of C+D arrived at my house last night – including another G8 GT vs Charger R/T comparison.

A couple of points:

1 – In my view ( and theirs ), to be even close to comparable, the Charger requires the $3940 Road and Track package. Bringing the MSRP of the Charger to at least $31,455 + $3,940 = $35,395. And the roadholding ( lateral G ), braking & lane change numbers are still far off the G8 GT w/Sport Pkg.

2 – The acceleration numbers show the G8 GT as significantly quicker than the Charger: 0-60 = 5.2 vs 5.7 and the Quarter = 13.8 vs 14.3.

And the editors also point out that “. . the interior materials don’t look as upscale as the G8’s . .”

Their article’s closing paragraph includes this:

“A while back, we tested a group of high-end sports sedans [“Faster Horses”, November 2006], a quartet that included a BMW 550i. With the exception of the lane-change exercise, the Bimmer’s test-track numbers were essentially identical with those generated by this new Poncho. The base price for a 550i today is $59,275.”

Your $$, your choice, of course . . .
    - Ray
    Choosing the G8 GT . . .
    Here is the Ausie version of the G8 (similar to the upcoming GXP) compared to the 335i which I am considering. The value is there as you noted. Interesting read. It's what happens when the chassis is faster then the engine. If the price is similar when GXP arrives here, refinement, efficiency and dial-up HP potential will give the nod to the 335i.

link title

Regards,
    OW
    FWIW, I currently drive a 335i. Compared to G8 it is more refined and has obviously higher quality materials. It is, however, a much smaller car than the G8. If interior space is not an issue, and price is close (which I honestly don't think it will be), then the 335i would not be a bad choice. However, 335i with most common options can easily sticker $50,000+. I think the G8 GXP will be at least $10,000 less expensive (comparably equipped). Keep in mind, also, that the 335i is a very complex machine (with lots of very expensive technology) and would not be a car I would feel confident owning past it's warranty period (4 years/50,000 miles). The G8, on the other hand, uses relatively simple, proven technology and carries a 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. Good example: The 335i doesn't even have a dipstick; only way to check your oil level is with a computer sensor.
    As white6 states, there is a substantial disparity between the 335 and the G8 in both size & price.

If neither backseat room nor trunk room are issues – and a substantial ( to me ) price difference means nothing – well, carry on!

[[ Looks to me like a 335 sedan equipped as close as I can to a ‘loaded’ G8 GT shows an MSRP of about $45K. Both with automatic, premium pkg., sport pkg. & sunroof ( std. on the BMW.) ]]

If you are expecting to carry a couple of typically sized adult males in the rear, I think the 335 sedan might not be a very good choice – assuming that you actually like the guys . . .

I do have respect for the 335. Quite a lot, in fact. I have driven a couple. The motor is a jewel – and for another $1K-$2K will approach Corvette levels of acceleration. The BMW’s 6 speed automatic is one of the best, though I have some issues with a couple of behavior aspects. The handling is definitely excellent. The quality of fit, finish & materials is better than the G8’s.

But . . .
    ( Regarding acceleration ) The 335 has no LSD.
    ( Regarding ride ) The 335’s run-flats feel somewhat harsh to many.
    ( Regarding price ) Even with a $5K MAP, a 335 equipped roughly equivalent to the G8 GT is some $7,000 more expensive. $38K for the G8 GT vs $45K for the BMW. And more realistically, based on my recent experience, a G8 GT at MSRP less the $1,000 Loyalty Cash for any one with a GM vehicle in the household, that brings the difference to around $13,000.

I am not trying to convince anyone here of anything – but I do believe comparisons are most meaningful between approximate equals - in most aspects, including such prime attributes ( for most buyers ) as price & size.

Size, for example ( among BMW sedans ) would bring you to the 5 series – at an even higher starting MSRP.

But I could be wrong . . .
    I’m sure someone will point out any errors I make.
    - Ray
    Ignoring the GXP version of the G8, for now, and at least until we have additional official information from GM . . .
    Actually, your assessment is right on regarding all you assess including price, even with MAP. The G8 is a fine value compared to two of the best competitors.

My goal would be to test drive the G8 and if I come away as enthusiastic as yourself, purchase it WITHOUT MAP, with loyalty discount and the GM Card points I've built up over the years. That dealer mark-up is quite ridiculous!

That is, if I can tear myself away from the ultimate drive of the 335i (I had the pleasure to drive an '07 for a day while my 330 was being serviced). If the power bump to 360/360 I've heard so far regarding the '09 335 is true, this would be an awesome combination to consider vs. the GXP. Price, no doubt, is going to favor the GXP.

BTW, I got used to the E92 size and only have my kids and grown ups that need discipline in the back!!!

Seriously, the handling is addicting.

Regards,
    OW
    Absolutely agree about E92. Just got back from a 60 mile drive in mine. Hard to fault anything about the way this car drives (especially after I persuaded the dealer to perform a software update on mine that finally fixed the inconsistant throttle response problem). Unfortunately now the moonroof is not working properly. Tried to crack it while parked to let the heat out, and it didn't function as designed in response to the switch. Quite strange. I've told the Pontiac dealer to call me when the black/black G8 GT (premium/sport; no sunroof) car they are expecting within the next few weeks comes in. After driving it I will allow them the opportunity to earn my business. I am not confident that they will; however, if they make a fair offer on my 335i Coupe and don't ask for more than MSRP on the G8, I will be very tempted (especially since I will qualify for the Loyalty rebate and have $947 of GM Mastercard rebate built-up as well, bringing the G8 in question down to just under $30,000). As I said, I'm not particularly confident that this will happen at this time. If not, I will happily motor on in the bimmer.
    I went to another dealer on Saturday – and test drove a G8 GT equipped exactly as I would buy one, if I absolutely ** HAD ** to buy a 2008: Premium, Sport, Sunroof & red \ black seats.

I had previously driven a G8 GT without sunroof, but only on surface streets and only below 45 or 50 MPH.

I specifically wanted to drive at freeway speeds. And I wanted to test the “rev match on downshift” more thoroughly – as I was not very impressed during my previous drive.

And I wanted to check the headroom & the noise level \ vent effect of the sunroof – particularly at highway speeds.

The car happened to be registering \ displaying KPH vs MPH. And I did not know how to change that. Neither did the “Sales Professional” ( a.k.a. ‘ballast’ ) in the right seat. [[ sigh ]]

I turned the sound system off and the climate control system off at the start.

The S.P. said that ‘they’ did not really want the car taken on the highway. Well, I was in the on-ramp lane & the S.P. was studying the owner’s manual – so I just continued onto I985, north. Oops.

By my best recollection & calculation ( verified upon my next access to a computer ) the speeds I travel at most on the highway ( 70 to 80 MPH ) was 120 – 140 KPH. So I spent some time at 120, 130 and 140. Turns out that 120 is approx. 75 MPH. And 140 is 87 MPH.

My observations:

1 – Headroom with the Sunroof is still fine for me – 6’0” and average torso length.

2 – Wind noise was well controlled in the second ( of 3 ) vent positions – with sunshade fully back. A bit of roar in the third position. And a large increase if I lowered one rear window, as I often do, to increate flow \ ventilation. But I think it would be fine for me.

3 – The high speed handling, feeling of security & directional stability seemed quite good. And the ride is excellent on smooth but slightly undulating highway surfaces – well controlled – and it certainly is quiet.

4 – The trans. downshift behavior still concerns me a bit. I currently drive a GM V8 with the 6L80 trans. Corvette Coupe. With 2007 calibrations & hardware version. For 2008 the 6L80 version in the Corvette was substantially revised & updated ( hardware & software ) to quicken both the upshifts and downshifts – and to do a better job ( by some reports ) on the “rev match on downshift”. My 2007 does not do this at all ( or does it so poorly as not to be worth of the name ) on 3 – 2 or 2 –1 downshifts.

Sadly, though, both of the 2 G8 GTs I have now driven seem to do a reasonably good job when manually commanded to downshift from 6 – 5, 5 – 4, and 4 – 3 ( the relatively “easy” ones ), but - I was ** NOT ** impressed with the 3 – 2 or 2 – 1 downshifts I tried. And I tried several.

These were not at all extreme downshifts – not 3 – 2 at 60 or 2 –1 at 35, for example. More like 3 – 2, while slowing through 30 or 25 MPH and about to accelerate – requiring a ‘blip’ to something like 2500 RPM. To me, these downshifts felt more like someone driving a manual trans, downshifting, and abruptly letting out the clutch – without a throttle blip. Seems to accomplish the actual downshift a bit more quickly than mine – and responds a bit more quickly – meaning: command to beginning of shift execution seems a bit quicker. But not nearly what I had hoped for, however, after reading the 2008 Corvette technical data & reviews.

Somewhat disappointing. Probably not a deal-breaker, for me.

4A – The trans. ** DOES ** perform ( in several respects important to me ) much better then the 6L50 in a 2008 Caddy CTS I rented & drove a couple of hundred miles last month . . .

4B – I am still somewhat perplexed at the choice of displaying ( in DSC \ manual shift mode ) the trans. gear currently engaged in such small characters across the very lowest portion of the DIC. As far as possible below the driver’s line of sight. Then ( once you HAVE selected a new gear, and the change is in process or complete ) the new gear is displayed centrally, in a much larger size, in the center of the DIC. But only briefly. Then it is again relegated to the bottom of the display. Seems very odd, to me.

And ( as is well known ) there is no XM, standard or optionally available, for the 2008s. And I listen to XM over half the time. What I have seen & read about add-on units just does not sound like anything I’d be happy with..

Anyway – my decision ( for now, at least ) is I’ll wait for 2009s to start appearing.

- Ray
    I know: picky, picky . . .

[[ edit:

Slides regarding the 2007 – 2008 ‘upgrades’ to the
    6L80, as installed in the Corvette:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...t=100_8105.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...t=100_8102.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...t=100_8101.jpg

]]
This discussion has been closed.