Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Pontiac G8

1363738394042»

Comments

• bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    I would opt for a G8 if they offered a lease on them. I would have a little fun with the V8!
  • quietproquietpro Posts: 702
    Great news! I was waiting for a new Impala based on the Holden but went with the G8 when it looked like it was going away altogether. Based upon the pictures, I'll stick with the G8 BUT...if I can manage to get the DIC (and possibly stereo) out of a Caprice, I'll be fully satisfied. The G8's looks have grown on me but that STUPID dim red display is plain idiotic, Pontiac at its worst. Maybe my G8 will turn into a "hybrid" of sorts with Pontiac/Chevy/and possibly Holden parts before it's all over. :)
  • sporin71sporin71 Posts: 26
    This is great news for sure. :)

Bear in mind that the Middle East Caprice is NOT our G8. In the ME, the car that our G8 is based on is their Lumina. The ME Caprice is based on the stretched Commodore, not the one that underpins our G8.

http://www.gmarabia.com/content_data/LAAM/ME/en/GBPME/001/G1/1L/1LSSE_overview.h- tml?cntryCd=KW

I only point this out because I see them being confused a lot on other forums and blogs.
  • etcarrolletcarroll Posts: 87
    That's great to hear, however, I wish it had happened sooner, I couldn't nurse my 2001 Impala any further, so just exchanged it for a 2003.

Guess this will serve as my 'bridge' car till the Caprice SS, (maybe Impala SS???) or 2011 Genesis arrive.
  • cracoviancracovian Posts: 337
    2001 and it already needed nursing (?) a bit unsettling, I guess... I often catch myself still thinking about my 2002 Trooper as a new car :)

Korean (and the upcoming Chinese wave) is where I draw the line. I don't mind "foreign" but buying Hyundai or Kia (technically one company) is just wrong. Seeing how GM is setting up its shop in Korea (while VW, BMW, and Toyota expand its factory network in the US) is also sad.
    At the risk of going political, health care is the key difference that is leading the domestics elsewhere while foreign brands thrive. Notice that the foreign brands set up shop in the south where labor laws are more conducive to non-union (read no health care) labor.

Things may change in time to save American auto manufacturing but only time will tell.
  • jlaszlojlaszlo Posts: 30
    Trying to decide between a fully loaded GT (sports, premium and sunroof) and a GT with no options. I could care less about leather seats, power seats, sport pedals, etc) but do care about a leather steering wheel and if the 18" wheels look too small on the car. I would like a sunroof but it's not a deal-breaker. The price difference between the two cars, after taxes and discounts, is about $2500.

I noticed on the option packages that the Sport package lists a "leather wrapped sport steering wheel." Does it look or feel different than the standard GT steering wheel? Also, do the 18s look appreciably smaller than the 19s? I believe they're the same design.

The only remaining GTs in Atlanta have both option packages so I haven't seen one without them to compare. A dealer out of town has these two cars in stock so I'm doing this semi-blind. Thanks
    I haven't seen a non-leather steering wheel but I did ask. The non-leather steering wheels have the basic soft/foam/rubber coating around the entire wheel. On mine, the perforated leather is definitely noticeable. On the left side of mine, the pin holes are a little noticeable (may have been stretched a little too tight?) but it's not a problem. I definitely prefer it over the standard wheel, though. I think you're forgetting the leather shifter, as well. Another plus that I would definitely want.

I don't know that the 18s look much smaller but the design is noticeably different. I don't exactly LOVE the 19" wheels but the 18" wheels are not for me (not sure why...maybe they look "dated" to me?). The 19s are smooth surfaced where the 18s have an indented surface on each spoke. You should be able to see both on the Pontiac web site and decide.

Overall, the added extras make the car look a bit classier, in my opinion. Either way, though, I think you'll really be happy with it. I love mine. :) ;)
  • Bob Lutz reversed himself today and said the G8 is gone and will not reappear in any form after all....that must have been an "interesting" meeting with Fritz. So anyone who wants a new G8, get one while you can. I like mine a lot so far; however prices of parts unique to this car (which is most of 'em) will only get more expensive and less readily available.
  • bowtiefan1bowtiefan1 Posts: 25
    I have the base GT. It comes with a leather steering wheel. The steering wheel on the base GT is all solid leather, where the wheel on the premium package is half solid leather and half perforated leather in the 3 and 9 positions. I actually like the solid leather wheel better. I'm not crazy either about the perforated leather that comes on the seats with the premium package. I think a solid leather would have looked better. Nonetheless, I prefer cloth seats over leather as I think they're more comfy/cozy. As for the wheels, I have the 18's. They look very proportional to the car in person and I'm very happy with them. As far as the shift knob, it is not leather on the base GT, but plastic. I replaced mine with a leather shifter and it's a very easy switch. If you can get a good deal on a base GT, I would not hesitate doing so, you'll be very happy and can always upgrade with the sport and premium items later.
    I'll second bowtiefan1. I intended to suggest that you could upgrade your base GT with most of the parts that come with the two upgrade packages and likely have money left over. You could then choose aftermarket wheels that you might like better than the package wheels (something I'm strongly considering). :)
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,503
    Whatever you do choose - I would not wait.
    Several sources indicate that what is now
    on dealer lots is all there will be...
    No more inbound.
    Good luck!
    - Ray
    G8 GT w/Sport & Premium & Sunroof...
  • Yes. Inventory in central-Indiana is down to 18 (mostly white, no black), and no more coming in. Glad I got mine in March when you could "steal" one.
  • James i bought my cross drilled rotors for my G8 at www.brakeworld.com i think this is there link link titlebrakeworld.com

i have had them on about 3k miles so far so good, I have received quite a few complements from fellow g8 enthusiast

Later,
    Roger in UT
  • gearhedgearhed Posts: 26
    If buyers knew how great these G8 GT's are, Pontiac could sell em by the hundreds of thousands.

If you can get your hands on a new GXP anywhere, buy it and put it in a garage. It is one of those rare muscle cars, destined to be worth many times what you paid for it in twenty years.

Great job, Pontiac. You did a really exceptional last car.
  • nojetsnojets Posts: 31
    Er...no, Pontiac did not do "a really exceptional last car." They haven't made a half decent car in decades. The "Pontiac" G8 was designed, developed and built in Australia as the Commodore by Holden, an Australian car company with no connection to Pontiac except through it's parent company GM. I drive one, but the first thing I did was remove as many of the Pontiac badges as I could. Pontiac deserved its demise.
  • ken620ken620 Posts: 3
    You must have had bad run of luck with pontiac. I'm aware that no manufacturer makes a perfect car, but I own an 09 G8 GT with just over 9k and my wife and I just love it. I also own a 97 Grand Prix gt with,get this, 264958 miles on it. Engine had NEVER been over hauled. I did have to replace the water pump, and now experiencing a shifting issue. Yes the G8 is an Australian car, but really, what car is totally made by the one manufacturer. I think I would've rather seen Buick close their doors, but they cater to the senior crowd.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    I think Pontiac made a decent car that will get you from point A to point B. No real driving experience. I do not own a G8, but a 2008 G6. I did in fact get a lemon of the litter. As my engine has had shifting issues from day 1. Dealer has yet to find the issue, has had a new catalytic converter replaced, window fuses, front brakes replaced, a software flash on the driving management chip. All within the first year!

I love my G6, it is loaded with leather and everything except the V6. But, it does handle pretty good. Had to get used to the suspension. It is a fun car, but that is not speaking from driving experience, as that is quite low. The fit and finish is here and there. The engine is no wear near the quality and pep of my 4cyl Accord. Night and day difference. I have 1yr left on my lease!! :)

The G8 V8 I took out for a drive was nice, fast! However, looking around. I did notice again the hit and miss quality of fit and finish. Different areas of the car looked a little cheap, plastic like feel. So, it seems to me that it fell a bit short. But, it is ahead of the game when being compared to its other models under the pontiac name. It is the size of car that I prefer. Perfect for a family car, but with a sporty appeal. Plenty of power.

Do I think they did a bad thing, by removing the G8? Yes, I totally think they should have kept the car out. But, with a different name. It deserves way more than it got! It really has some appeal! Do I think it is some rare sports car? No. lol it might have some value later.

I would totally get a G8, but given my experience so far.... it would keep me from ever returning back to GM. No free oil changes or preventative care is going to keep me with them. Too bad the G8 had to die. they had something.
    I would have leased the G8, but they weren't leasing in 08.

Like with any other GM, its like driving on unstable ground...watch out for the pot holes, you better hope your love for the car outweighs the nuisance.
    edited April 2010
    They kept Buick because of China where they sold 2 million of Regals last year - our domestic market is becoming less and less relevant to GM... And as far as the G8 goes, its weight and low fuel economy kept it from being perfect (oh, and for me it was the lack of the wagon version.)
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,903
    cracovian, maybe you can visit a Holden wagon in australia or europe some day! :)
    In the meantime here in USA I like wagons and you might like to consider the same one I'll be looking at: Chevy HHR SS .
    I looks like our next car is going to be Nissan Leaf - it sort of look like a wagon :-) I can't wait and I hope I can snatch one in December. I know, I know, I do miss my GTO but less than $3 for covering 100 miles makes it a perfect car!
  • sidvsidv Posts: 63
    Around 4 months without a post! Guess everybody is off to other boards. Just wanted to say my G8 has been nearly flawless through 16 months and 11K miles and it was a great choice, especially once I replaced the weak factory stereo. Only complaint is the intown mileage, which has improved since new but still the worst I've experienced since the 80's. GM are idiots are getting rid of this car and not properly promoting it in the first place.
  • Rented a Ford Focus for 2 days while out of town on business. Not a bad little car for its segment, but when I got back and drove my G8 home from the airport I realized how much more I like driving the G8. Can't believe GM killed it, but I think there is hope for a civilian Holden Commodore / Caprice if the Police version sells.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,503
    I am also quite enjoying my 2009 G8 GT.
    Even if there is a civilian version of the Police Caprice available next year -
    I will buy something else ...
    But in the meantime, the G8 is an overall quite satisfying drive....
    - Ray
    Planning ED w/Daughter next Fall
  • This is the best handling, high powered car I have EVER driven. I got it for less than $27,000. I would not take less than $25,000 for it right now.

I would have to pay $37,000 to replace it with a Camaro or BMW with the same performance. It handles like it is ON RAILS in the corners.

Simply put, these are the best performance four door large size sedans ever put out by GM.

The GXP is already in demand by collectors and they are getting prices well above $35,000 US dollars for them in excellent shape. I wished I had bought one of them.
  • I couldn't agree with you more. It's an awesome vehicle and so I'm glad I was able to snag one too! :)