Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Pontiac G8

Comments

• rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,476
    The percentage of Corvettes sold with an automatic continues to be much greater than manuals ( 66+% of Coupes and close to 73% of Convertible for MY 2006, no Z06s, obviously ) ...
    - Ray
    I do not have to question my choice.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Right, but if you are gonna come on here and start saying that the G8 is "too heavy" then you have to expect someone to question your logic of buying a sports car with an Automatic. Can't have it both ways, you can't say "hey, you are buying a slow car that won't handle well cause it's overweight" and in the same breath try to convince us to believe you when you are driving an automatic.

I find it funny, but people in glass houses shouldn't be casting stones, less those stones come back to haunt you. Consider this the stone coming back my friend!

:)

-mike
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    Two tone interiors will be offered, read the press release. They just wont be offering that color combination which isnt a bad thing since most people dont seem to like it. I think we are going to have to wait for a while to find out what the real interior colors will be.

The Grand Prix hasnt had plastic cladding since the pre-99 generation. It may not have been the greatest seadn in the world but it did offer better than average performance. The current GXP is probably just as fast as the G8 will be because it weighs 400lbs less. a 303hp FWD car with little torque steer for under $30k sounds reasonable to me, even if the press doesn't agree. Acutally, C&D liked the GXP quite a bit when they tested it in 2005.

As for the new CTS, the interior is better but it's likely to cost several thousand more than the G8.
    I was actually quite careful in my choice of words.
    1 - I didn’t say “too heavy” – just that I was surprised at how heavy.
    2 – I didn’t say it would be “too slow”.
    ( Absolutely, or ‘for me’. )
    There are no published independent acceleration numbers for any G8 – and likely will not be for some time.
    3 – I didn’t say it would not handle well. Or that it is overweight.
    I said the magnitude of the weight difference surprised me.
    And that the additional weight will not help the dynamics.
    I’d hoped for a GT weight closer to 3700 – or even 3800.
    4 – Having to drive an automatic ( due to bursitis in my left foot, if that matters ) in whatever car I choose means I cannot comment here?
    I was not aware of that Edmunds rule . . .
    I meant to cast no stones here.
    Certainly none at you.
    The GM\Pontiac move to a RWD V8 sedan for the G8 I do find very interesting.
    I hope this works out better for GM than the Caddy STS.
    And we’ll see ( eventually ) how the production samples perform.

- Ray
    Waiting . . .
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    Naah, it's a different engine. The 6.0 in the GTO was the LS2 from the base C6 Corvette, while the 6.0 in the VE Commodore (and G8) is the L98- different tuning, lower compression, etc.
    Apparently, this version of the 6.0L V8 is designated L76 by GM.

And in this application, GM apparently renames DoD:
    “ . . features the fuel-saving Active Fuel Management system, which enhances fuel economy by alternating between eight- and four-cylinder power . .”
    I presume that this is DoD, like my 2005 Grand Prix GXP had?

- Ray
    Acronym challenged . . .
  • Then you were never going to buy the car in the first place.

I think the new Tundra looks awesome, despite the fake plastic hood scoop in the front.
    I would never not buy it because of that.
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    AFM and DOD are the same.... ;)

Rocky
    what do you mean when you say you hope it works out better than the STS? what exactly did the STS do wrong? It hasnt been a huge hit but it sells in numbers comparable to the Infinit M and Lexus GS. The STS is a decent luxury RWD sedan.

There have been tests of the Commodore so we can figure out how the G8 will perform long before it gets here. In fact, MT is going to be testing a Commodore in a future issue to preview the G8. Since this car weighs about the same as the CTS-V I would think 0-60 is reachable in 5.5secs or so.

Holdens are heavy, just like European cars so you might as well get used to the G8 being heavy. Actually, Japanese cars are the only "light" cars overall. American and European cars of similar size typically weigh more than Japanese cars.
    Work out better than the STS?
    Essentially, as you said: “It hasnt been a huge hit”.
    And period over period sales continue to decline.
    IMHO, GM \ Caddy needed the STS to be a sales hit.
    And now GM \ Pontiac needs the G8 to be a sales hit.
    “Huge” would be really good . . .

Any time a manufacturer enters a new market ( for them ) where they have not yet proven the long term durability of the product or the trade \ re-sale values, they face a very tough road. For example the Caddy STS going from FWD sedan, more luxury biased in my view, to a RWD & more sporting sedan, at rather a high price point. The costs involved in R&D, marketing, etc. really demand that the product be an immediate and a long term sales hit.

I am on record, here & elsewhere, as applauding Caddy for having the determination & the will to bring the new RWD STS to market. I have some issues with equipment availability, option ( group ) pricing and a few other things – that prevented me from purchasing an STS V8. But again, making the investment for a serious foray into trying to compete with the established LPS manufacturers like BMW is something I do respect. And the STS-v was a noble effort.

I just think that if Pontiac is to survive ( and if GM is to thrive ) they cannot afford to have any major new product that is not a big sales success, right out of the box.

We’ll see.
    - Ray
    Rooting for GM here, really . . .
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    The only thing I really found wrong with the STS was the price-point. It was significantly higher than most expected to pay for a Caddy and I think that's what hurts it. The car itself though is a masterpiece. GM is doing the right thing bringing RWD, MT cars here.

I can't name more than a handful of $30-31k Manual Transmission RWD or AWD Sedans w/V8s...

V8s-
    G8
    S4
    CTS

V6s/I6-
    G35 Sedan
    3-Series
    A-4
    C320

I4/H4-
    Legacy GT
    IS 250
    C230

That's about all I can think of. Out of all of those listed, the G8 is the largest, and cheapest, except maybe for the CTS.

-mike
    Holden is only shipping 40k to 50k units to the US so the G8 wont be a huge hit by your standards. I think this is more about improving Pontiac's image and raising transaction prices than anything else. This car will not replace the Grand Prix's volume. The G6 is just as big as the GP in most respects so it only makes sense for the GP to be phased out and replaced with a larger, RWD car. Unless the G6 can recover the GP's lost volume, the G8 will NOT boost Pontiac's sales next year.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 3,999
    I think the hood scoops look unappealing, especially with the twin-kidney grille right below them, and the air dam below the grille... Perhaps they should consider including a snorkel--not for underwater use, but just so it could have another air inlet.

To me, the hood scoop is every bit as gimmicky and tacky as the plastic cladding on the old Grand Prix and Grand Ams. Every model of the Holden Commodore has a smooth hood, and the V8 model is available without added air dams. Even with the air dams, the front end of the car is less "busy" than the G8.
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011

I agree and do like the G8. I'd prefer the HSV model myself. I'd like to see the HSV model built as a limited edition G8 with Holden styling. I do prefer the Holden styling over the Pontiac, but the pontiac still looks good.

Rocky
  • Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• pmvipmvi Posts: 63
    I agree with you.

Also, fender vents are getting a bit "gimmicky" too. Even the new Taurus (500) has them!
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Posts: 1,986
    with the scoops. Not to say I might have stuck 'em on there if I was on the design team, but I sure wouldn't have said much, if anything if they showed up one day. Seems somehow Pontiac appropriate to me, and not in a bad way, like the days of BBQ (ribs and wings).

Fender vents, I agree, are tired even before the trend really takes off again. On this, I notice it; on a Jaguar, it makes me ill!

The overall appearance, as with the GTO before it, reminds me strongly of Acura - on steroids. This, IMO, is a much better execution, though, than the lost-in-the-crowd GTO.

I think the 6M tranny will appeal to a few notalgic enthusiasts and that's about it. In a beast this size, especially with this much motive power, it seems entirely unnecessary to me to row your own, even if you're out for some fun. Just something that can select and hold gears should more than do the trick. Still I think they should be bringing it day one, instead of delaying availability. I hate that kind of thing.

Overall, I like it quite a bit. Way too big a car for my tastes, but I think its proportions are nearly optimum and the details deliciously restrained compared to previous PMD cars. Certainly I prefer it to anything I've seen in the Caddy lineup...
  • Over here our minimum fuel is 91 octane.
    We also have 95, 98 and 100.
    I run my Commodore on 95.
    The cars computer resets itself when it picks up on higher octane fuel.
    Just run a few tanks of your higher octane fuel and the car will sort itself out.
    Is 92 the highest you have there?
  • I posted this in the general section.
    Some of you may not have seen it.
    It may wet your appatite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUNlR2bHcOU