Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Entourage New Owner Reports

Comments

• thehothitthehothit Member Posts: 19
    I've been having the Power Sliding Door problem since day one. The dealer can't replicate it, but happens in my driveway (on a slight slope) and in dead flat parking lots! I have approx 10,000 miles on my vehicle (a 2006 Sedona which is exactly equivalent to a fully loaded Entourage Limited - minus entertainment system). Take a look at Edmund's Kia Sedona long Term Test blog:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/category/cat.2006KiaSedonaEX

They have a post about the power sliding door problem.
  • fixtheboxfixthebox Member Posts: 14
    Did you try the customer service?
    What state are you in? In CA if you visited the dealer for the same problem over 2-3 times the car might be considered a lemon.
    I couldn’t show the dealer the problem so I took a video as soon as it happened in my garage.
  • thehothitthehothit Member Posts: 19
    I live in NJ and am considering pursuing the Lemon Law route. Several visits to 2 (Kia) dealers have not resolved the problem. I have also taken some video and am going to take it with me next time I visit the dealer. If they still can't find the solution, I'll probably contact Kia in writing and give them one last chance as per the Lemon Law.

I'd gladly settle for a brand new vehicle without the problem.
    Document every visit to the dealer and make sure you have copies that mention the same problem.
    Once yo have a few you can call them (no need to write) and then will give you a case number.
    After a few days someone will call you to get more details.
    I had them rent me a minivan for 5 days while mine was at the dealer's.
    After that we agreen on a new Entourage.
  • shaky4shaky4 Member Posts: 25
    I have the same slope in my driveway and my new entourage (1035 miles) doors work flawlessly. The only time they hesitate is when my kids try to close the doors from inside and I start the engine. Shall keep an eye for the problem.
  • henryzxhenryzx Member Posts: 10
    Hello, we just brough our Brand new limited with ultimate pkg home couple days ago, and we're impressed, the fit and finish to power... couldn't complain a thing..But I have 2 questions:

-If anyone pay attention to the engine cover (you have to pop up the hood), are yours with the V6 - 3800 - and "H" (Hyundai logo) on it (as the brochure advertised)? Mine is just bland "V6" and that's it, not even the "H" logo on it...I called the hot line and the rep. has no idea what supposed to be on the engine cover...the one I test drove does have the fancier version :confuse:

-What's is the exact HP on our Entourage ? 250hp or 242hp? if you look on the net there are two diff. info. ... Is anyone know for sure on this info? :confuse:
  • boltguyboltguy Member Posts: 94
    250 HP and 253 lb/ft torque per hyundaiusa website
  • mknightmknight Member Posts: 57
    2007 Entourage has 242 HP at 6000 rpm and 251 lb-ft at 3500 rpm per the Hyundai sales brochure.

2007 Sedona lists 250 hp at 6000 rpm, 253 lb-ft at 3500 rpm per the kia.com web site specs.

I'd heard it said somewhere that they re-tuned the Hyundai engine so it made more torque and fewer hp. It doesn't look like it from the peak torque comparison, but maybe the Entourage has a *wider* torque band. Speculating, but maybe it's the exhaust tuning, perhaps done for a more up-scale sound.
    So far, this is the first I've ever known that its horse power still a myth somewhat even after it being produced :).

and one more thing, my rpm would always around 2000-2500 rpm even at hwy speed (65-85mph)....is it norm? the rpm only rev above 3000rpm when I use the autostick function to shift gear... :confuse:
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    - 250 horsepower
    - 253 lb.-ft. torque

For Entourage produced from July 2006;

vehicles produced before July 2006 rated at 242 hp @ 6000 rpm and 251 lb.-ft @ 3500 rpm.

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/entourage/performance/performance.aspx
    yahooo...the dealer swapped the better looking engine cover with 3800, V6 and "H" logo...looks lots better now! :D

Our Entourage mfg date 09/2006...so that's means equipped with 250hp ?? btw, where did you get the info. about the pre-Jul/07 engine with 242hp ???
    This is exactly what Hyundai's stating :"For Entourage produced from July 2006 (with 250hp); vehicles produced before July 2006 rated at 242 hp @ 6000 rpm and 251 lb.-ft @ 3500 rpm."
    Woo hoo! I got one made 09/06 if I'm reading my door sill correctly. I got 8 more hp and and 2 more ft-lbs than I thought I did.
  • rob22315rob22315 Member Posts: 31
    Love it so far. Got right off the truck with only 15 miles. Fit, finish and features are excellent. Gas mileage has been 24-26 on the highway from the beginning. Seems to really move out with only a slight push on the gas pedal. My only (minor!) issue was that one of the tires was low, easily fixed at the nearest gas station.

RG
  • stushstush Member Posts: 62
    I have offically joined the not starting club. The only problem is that it had to fall on sunday 7/15/07 at 3 pm, about 120 miles away from home. Just arrived at church camp to drop off the kids. Take a number to register. Seem to have enough time to move the van closer to the barracks and NOTHING. Van was off for 10 minutes. Luckily there was another family there from the same parrish to drive us home. So now I have to wait and see what the dealer can do for me since I am so far away from home. We left it there because its Sunday, nobody is open and were out in the oakypinoaks!!! I'll let them know about the junction box. I did remember reading about CAPECORALBILL's lucky attempt to get it started, but forgot to try the brake pedal release trick. Tried to wiggle the heck out of the wires but no luck. Keep you posted. I'm almost at 16,000 miles
  • samsmokesamsmoke Member Posts: 1
    I have an Entourage that was purchased on 4/18 of this year.(It currently has 2157 miles on it.) To date it has spent almost 3 weeks in the dealership. It will not start, as others have stated, intermittently. First they replaced the "junction box", that didn't work. Then they replaced the "negative battery terminal". That didn't solve the problem. I just picked it up again today, and they replaced the battery with a "700 cold cranking amp battery". I was told today that the car sometimes does not produce enough amps to start, but it does produce enought to open the doors, and operate the lights, etc. This explains why my kids can open the doors, the lights come on and the radio works, but it won't start. This also explains why all it takes to get it started is a jump start.
    Anyway, I did start the Lemon Law process. (Just in case it happens again.) I am in NJ and you need to notify them of a "last attemt to fix" or you cannot file a claim if the problem occurs again.
    I love the van and Hyundai has been good about trying to help me, however, the dealership has repeatedly tried to imply that I am somehow responsible for this problem.
    I am hoping that I can move on and my car will start with no problems from here on in, but I did buy one of those "jump starters" today, just in case I am in the middle of nowhere and it happens again.
    I will be very interested to see if this becomes a recall situation. :lemon:
  • shaky4shaky4 Member Posts: 25
    Congrats on your van purchase, I got mine on 05/07 and absolutely love it. When the van was new, my kids were excited and would proudly show the van to their friends opening and closing the power doors on the battery. The manual says 10 operations of power doors on battery (5 opening and 5 closing events) without engine being on is enough to drain enough juice from the battery. Also if you use your van for short trips, and use all power options, the battery does'nt get charged enough. If the battery gets completely discharged, it never gets back to full charge thereafter for the life of the battery unless you replace the fluids. Fortunately, the batteries are sealed!!

Maybe the dealership screwed up the battery on their lot. Was the van on the dealership floor? I am sure the new battery will fix your problems. Please keep us posted!!
    Well, we called the dealer and talked to the service manager. He agreed to go up and get our van (120 miles away) and bring it back to his garage. Luckily it didn't start for him too. Told him about all the same problems people were having and that by replacing the junction box, seems to solve the problem. His first response was, never heard of it. So he has to order one in. Should be ready on 7/19. Hope this works. I am extremely pleased that they went up and got the van instead of having road side assistance tow it to the nearest dealer witch was another 25 miles further away. As to all the other complaints poeple are having, I have not had them. My power sliding have never given us a problem, well the passenger side was making a loud noise when it latched, so I squirted some WD40 in the track and that seemed to work. I still have a squeak in the back tailgate, but I just turn up the radio and thats good enough for me. My front end has started to shake but only when you use the brakes, I attibute that to the rotors and the dealer is looking into that also. I can't say it shimmys at 75 mphs because I usually don't go that fast, but I have had it at 85 and it's driving like a dream. Bought in june 06, not sure of the manufaction date. I'll update after I get it back from dealer. Peace!
    Just got the van back. They replaced the fuse assembly and the junction box. They also cut the front rotors, no more front end vibration. What can I say, Bowser Hyundai, from Pittsburgh, drove up 120 miles, picked up the van, towed it back, fixed the problems and charged me NOTHING!! Through all the thick and thin, they have bent over backwards to address all my situations. I applaude them. So with that said, I still think this is a great van. Rides great, super pickup for a van and you can't beat the price.
  • 2hyundaifamily2hyundaifamily Member Posts: 14
    I've had the Entourage SE for about 2 months now and recently went on what turned out to be a long trip (6 hours) with it. It's my wife's van so I don't get the pleasure of using it as much as she does but here are my impressions.

It is extremely roomy and comfortable. My 16 YO was sitting in the back the whole time and he did complain that after about 4 hours it was cramped (he's 5'10"). We've had other minivans and I think most back seats are cramped after a long while.

It's quite, it seems to be quieter than the Chrysler minivans that I drive as company cars. There did seem to be a little wind noise but it wasn't too bad.

It's nicely appointed, seems to have features that make sense and again compared to what I drive has some nice features.

It handles great, I was driving it on hilly, winding roads and it kept the road.

Gas mileage was 16.9 MPG on this trip, I didn't think this was too bad as I was driving in stop and go traffic and then in hilly roads. After all this thing is a minivan and I don't expect 25 MPG "city" driving.

Headlights are great, sounds stupid but compared to a 2007 T&C the Entourage throws out an amazing amount of light with a lot of side illumination.

AC auto temp control, the AC never gets too cold like in other cars without this. This isn't really a bad thing but I'm not used to it.

Trip computer, after having it I really don't see the need except the MPG maybe.

Side auto doors, I've been told they are noisier than an Odessey but compared to the T&C they are quiet.

Personally, I think it is a great car, I expect to keep this for at least 7 or 8 years and hopefully more. I agree with the statement that these are not the Hyundais of the 1980s. They also don't come with all the bells and whistles that other foreign minivans come with, as a matter of fact the Entourage has too many for my wife. I was looking for an inexpensive, solid, sturdy car and this seemed to fit the bill. Only time will tell.
  • lemonvanlemonvan Member Posts: 1
    Is there anyone else who is having problems with their transmission? I have had my Entourage only 2 months now, and wish I had never purchased it. The transmission thumps between 1st and 2nd gear, most of the time completely misses third gear, gets stuck in 4th gear and upshifts rather than downshifts when you accelerate and need a little more power. I have been back to the dealer on several occasions, and told that "that's just how they drive" and they will not fix it. My fuel consumption is only 13 miles per gallon on the freeway - isn't that a sign that something isn't right?

It is unsafe to drive in traffic, it will jump into 4th gear at 20 miles per hour. It is sluggish to take off in traffic, then will, all of a sudden, drop down two gears, and take off too fast. It also surges when barely moving, like when I'm, trying to park it in the garage and not hit the wall, it will pick up speed without any pressure on the pedal.

I would like to speak with other people who are also having problems with their Entourage and getting the same run around from their dealer and Hyundai. emails can be sent to : thishyundaiisalemon@hotmail.com I am hoping that collectively, as a group with the same problems, we can make Hyundai address the issues with their faulty transmissions.
  • josm100josm100 Member Posts: 30
    Take it to another dealer and report your dealer to Hyundai customer service. That is not "how they drive" :mad: . If the second dealer does not give you satisfication then start Lemon Law proceedings. These hyundais are great vans, you just got a bad one. There was a guy on this website who got his van replaced by Hyundai because of an irritating "squeek" while driving. You should have not trouble getting yours sorted as this sounds like a serious saftey issue. And don't play a Burnie on it (look for her comments and threads), do what it takes to get it fixed. Let us know how you do. Good luck.
  • pecoraropecoraro Member Posts: 1
    Like Cleo4, your situation sounds eerily familiar. I have had the Van 6 months (approx 6000 miles)and within weeks I had problems with the automatic passenger sliding door closing. Dealership remedied the problem but it then started happening again. Then in the last month I had problems starting it and went through virtually the same experience you've outlined. What i believe they referred to as the "body control unit" (which sounds a lot like the ECM) was replaced and that seemed to fix both the door & starting problems. However, the door occasionally still fails to close and on at least 3 occasions now, the starter engages but the engine has failed to start. Each time it has taken about 10 cranks to start the van. Again, I can't empathize with you more about getting away from North American vans in search of greater reliability but getting frustrated over recurring problems anyways. Any advice/help/insight out there from anyone?
    Don't wait !! call Hyundai corp office and ask them to replace the van.
    I had problemd with the sliding doors and afetr a few months got a new van from Hyundai.
  • frustrated15frustrated15 Member Posts: 5
    Hello Fix the Box. How in the world did you get Hyundai to give you a new van? I bought our van 5/06 and started returning it 5/06 to the dealership. We requested them to give us a new van, the refused then asked them to buy it back & again they refused. It has gotten so bad that while in drive the sliding doors are opening. So, how did you do it? I am scared for my childrens' lives.
    Don't talk to the dealer...call Hyundai 800 number and start the process.
    At one point I contacted a lawyer and showed him all the paperwork.
    It’s a free service (I googled lemon law California and got tons of phone numbers) and I wanted to make sure I got a case.
    Anyway, I didn’t have to sue or use any lawyer at the end.
    I just told Hyundai that I like the van but I got a lemon…just use the word lemon and they will offer to replace.
    Again , you have to make sure you have all the paperwork to prove the dealer was not able to fix the problem.
    I went to my dealer 5 times with the same problem.
    At one point the regional manager got involved and I asked them to keep the van for a week and rent me a car for that time.
    Within that week Hyundai corp called me and offered to replace the car.
    Not only that , they wanted me to pay usage fee, there’s a formula they use to calculate how much (depends on miles used) you have to pay.
    I insisted not to pay and they agreed.
    So I returned a van with over 10000 miles and got on with about 50 :-)
    What state are you located in?
  • nygardnygard Member Posts: 2
    I have a Limited Entourage and have been very happy with it, except for 1 thing: the radio station that I have always listened to (and continue to do so in our honda civic) gets horrible reception, and is totally blocked out by high pitched static. The strange thing is that it only happens after the car has been running for about 10 minutes, and it totally fine when the engine is off. I have just returned from the dealership and they replaced the radio, but it is still happening. I think the electrical or engine is somehow interfering with the antenna. It is an AM station and we live about 30 miles from the station...I get reception of this station as far away as 150 miles, so I know it is specific to my Entourage radio. Any suggestions? I rely on this station for all my news, traffic, etc.?? Help!!
    Virginia. Already called Hyundai 800 number used the term lemon - showed documentation, had corporate come down and they still refuse. Hired lawyer and waiting for court. The van has gotten so bad that I cannot drive it, fearing for my children's lives - the doors have started to open while in drive. Intermittently, but that's even worse since I never know when they will open, at home, on the road or on the interstate.
    Sounds like the dealership in CA is better than the ones here in VA.
    That's crazy!!
    Why are they refusing to replace the Van? they gave a reason or just said NO?
    How many miles do you have?
    By the way , my dealer didn't have anything to do with the car replacement.
    I did all the phone calles to Hyundai and it just happend that the new van was from the same dealer ...he got a double deal.
    I just finished up with a local VA dealer on this problem. According to them, this is a known problem that is fixed by slightly reducing the forward travel of the door with a piece of vacuum hose. The doors travel a little too far forward when they close and the latch doesn't properly engage. This fix was done on the passenger side. The tech said I should bring it back if I see it on the driver side. I just got the van back yesterday so I haven't had time to fully check it out but it has worked so far. RG
    Please let me know if this does fix the problem or if it starts up again.
    According to them it is not a big issue. I'm guessing they do not have loved ones. Going on 23,000 miles and no longer drive it...stays parked. Just gotta love making the payments on something that has a serious defect.!.
    Fixed so far - no repeats. RG
    It seems that most if not all the bugs have been worked out for the Entourage. Bought mine 6/06, with 26,000 miles and its driving fine. Had most of all the little problems the first generation has had. But, the dealer has bent over backwards to make it right. So, why am I typing this, there just doesn't seem to be much action in the forum. Is it safe to say that all your vans are driving fine? Hyundai has solved most of the problems and are implementing them? Just a little shout out to see hows it driving?
    newbie on this forum, after two frustrated times at the dealer, with two issues - Knocks on the engine (while the AC/Heater on) , two is the Sliding doors popped open while parking on a slope and while driving at low speed (few times).

First time had the car checked by Stevens Creek Subaru/Hyundai (California) dealer for those two issues, they told me to duplicate the engine knocks inorder for them to put in the work order , took my 30 minutes to duplicate the knocks. they took it in, one day later told me to take the van home since they could not duplicate the sliding door issue and had to order the part for the knocks.

One week later had the car in for the second time, they first told me the part should be installed within couple hrs, then take them the whole day, just minutes ago they told me to call back in 24 hrs, since the work require more time than anticipated (!!!!). Now not to mention the sliding door issue .

I'm so frustrated with the way the service here, I have to travel almost 60 miles for the service (I work nearby the dealer), they persistently do not even provide pick up shuttle so I could pick up the car.....so far this is the worst service I've ever encountered compared to the past experience with Nissan, Infiniti and even Cheverolet could match .....

I hope that they will fix both problems tomorrow, otherwise I'll have to call the corp. office to vent my frustration spread the message around to make sure Hyundai get it right.....good and improving product with crappy service will not get Hyundai anywhere in a near future.....Thank you for the forum otherwise I probly have stroke by now....
  • blue17blue17 Member Posts: 5
    Purchased 07 Entourage 4/07. Did not start six times. Brought the van into dealer and informed advisor about junction box/fuse assem issue. He intially did not know about it. Called another dealer and found out there is a TSB on the junction box. When I picked the van up the advisor stated that he did find the TSB, but my van had different symptoms. When I attempted to start my van the lights went on and there was a clicking noise then nothing. They replaced the battery stating that it failed a test. I found this interesting since I had the van in one week previous for the 7500 service and the battery passed. Its been 8 days and so far its working. Also had a annoying high pitched squeek from the rear tailgate fixed.
    Im currently having the same issue and the dealer just replaced the battery. Just wanted to know if its working now.
    So far so good. I suspect if there is an ongoing problem I will have the same problem within the next year. If the junction box I mentioned is pulling low voltage from the battery this battery will only last a year also. If I have this problem again I will force them to replace the junction box/fuse assembly. As I mentioned there is a TSB on this issue and I had the service advisor pull it up. Keep posting and I will do the same.

Good luck,
    Blue17
  • dwengier77dwengier77 Member Posts: 30
    soory about the lenght but here is my story
    My wife and i traded our 05 Elantra ( which we loved and never gave us a problem), for a new 07 entourage due to another child on the way. We looked at Honda and toyota as well. Since we had such a great experience with the Elantra and becuase of the warranty and extra features went with the hyundai. Apart from the bad trade in price we were given we got a good price anfd we love it. My brother who had 02 honda ody.he loved our van so much, the next month he went out and traded the honda in for an 07 ltd Entourage. He was not happy about the Honda becuase he had to replace the tranny at 65000 miles.
    We have about 15000 miles now and have had no major problems. last Month on a trip to visit my parents we were driving at a stable speed when the van started to buck slightly, like the engine missfired, i gave a little gas and the problem dissapeared. After we got home a couple weeks later the check engine light started to flicker on. We called the service dept. immidiatly , and were told that because it was a saturday , and the car was driving fine , not to worry and to bring it in when we could during the week. Our dealer is five mins. away so that Tuesday we took it in. I told the service rep. the check engine light is on, there is a small oil leak stain on my driveway, a strange nocking in the dash after we turn the car off when we had the ac on, and the rear light never goes on when the door is opened.
    The service dept. tore my engine down looking for the leak. It took them 6 hours to identify the leak and fix it. bad gasket somewhere not sure which one. Problem fixed!!! Engine light was due to misfire , probably from bad gas. Light reset. Parts ordered for rear light and ac piece. All repairs no charge.
    we dropped the van off at service dept. and also ordered a oil change. 6 hours
    later was called to let me know the oil was changed for free , becuase they ordered wrong parts.
    All in all we love this van and have had no problems , i think becuase we do not have all the gadgets that can go wrong. :shades:
  • dwengier77dwengier77 Member Posts: 30
    Forgot to mention that my wife had to drive my car, '96 mustang gt modified, to pick the kids up from daycare when the van was in service dept. . That night i was told to sell my car and to buy a new one. :sick: Two weeks later i watched my baby being driven away buy her new owner :cry:
    Saturday picked up my 08 Azera ltd. w/ ultimate package :P
    So these little issues with the vsn cost me a s**t load of money and sorrow :cry:
  • pafundipafundi Member Posts: 8
    1. I got more for my money

2. More safety features

3. Better safety report

4. It seemed a little bigger, more room inside
  • glyokeglyoke Member Posts: 2
    We purchased an Entourage in 09/07 and have had two problems.
    The first was when the vehicle refused to turn over at all. OK for lights and other electrics. The roadside assistance people were called, who eventually called for a tow. As others have found out, there is a TSB for the junction/fuse box, which was replaced.
    The other problem was with the DVD player not ejecting discs. No resolution yet.
  • wontstartwontstart Member Posts: 4
    We have a 2007 Hyundai Entourage that we purchased new last year. On 4/11/08 the van would not start. All electrics worked and I even checked the battery with my multimeter and it was fully charged. Turn the key, nothing happened. I called roadside assistance and told them it would be OK to pick it up in the morning. The next morning while my wife was taking the baby seat out of the van to put in my pickup, she tried to start it and it started right up. We cancelled the tow. I did some research and found the TSB that listed the IPM module that is bad will give the intermittent no crank/no start problem. I printed it out in case the van wouldn't start in the future. On 5/11/08, I parked the van at Kmart and came back out 5 min. later and the van wouldn't start. I called my wife and she brought my truck and picked me up. We went to church and came back 4 hours later and the van started right up.

I called Dave Menegay Hyundai in Rainbow City AL and was told to bring the van in today (5/13/08). My dad drove it down there and they simply said, we can't do anything unless it won't start for us. Of course it will start up, it was driven down here (40 miles away). They flatly stated that they couldn't help. They even had the nerve to say "maybe it won't do it again." Maybe doesn't cut it when I'm stuck hundreds of miles from home with a wife and 3 year old in the car.

So now I have a $30000 van that is fully warranteed that I'm afraid to drive out of town. I showed them the TSB and that this is a known problem and the only thing they can tell me is to bring it back if it happens again. I've been in touch with the corporate office and I will get satisfaction on this matter either through customer service or litigation if needed.

Do any of you have any suggestions on additional steps I should take? I've already documented the two no start occasions and the dealer's treatment. I'm also going to print out all the info. from other owners that have had the same problem.

I'll keep you updated.

Jon
  • davethecarnutdavethecarnut Member Posts: 248
    Just keep getting on corporate's case.
    I'm really surprised this is still an issue. It happened to me in Dec 06. But my van was one of the early production models. I can't believe this is still happening on the "newer" ones. That's B.S. E-mail and call them as much as you can. Your close enough to Atlanta, have them send a regional rep to look at your van.
    How are AL's lemon laws?
    First, this doesn't seem to happen unless you leave the headlight switch in the 'on' position, not the 'auto' position. My wife likes leaving it in the 'on' position for safety reasons.

Anyway, in this position when you switch off the key and remove it the parking lights stay on until you open the drivers door.

The other day I went out to put a new CD in the radio. The old CD will eject without the ignition turned on but you can't insert a new CD without switching on the ignition. So, I go out and hop in on the passenger side because it's the closest door instead of walking around the car. I put my key in the ignition to activate the radio, swap the CDs, remove my key, hop out and go back in the house.

Later my wife looks out and says, 'Why are the parking lights on in the van.'

The lesson is: You have to open the DRIVERS DOOR to turn off the parking lights when you leave the light switch in the ON position. Not the passenger door.

--Mike
    As you know from my earlier post, my van was taken to the dealer but nothing was done about the non-start problem b/c they couldn't reproduce it. That evening, the van wouldn't start at McDonald's. I had my 3 year old son and 3 year old nephew with me. I called the roadside assistance people and they dispatched a tow truck. The driver showed up and attempted to jump start the van, no go. I had them tow it back to the dealer and the service mgr called me the next morning. He said the van started right up for him, but he knew that I had a problem. He told me he would get on the phone with a district service mgr and see what could be done. He called me back a few minutes later and told me they would install a new IPM module the next day. I now have the van back and am really pleased with the way the dealership handled it the second time around.

The service dept. mgr simply needed to go higher up to get the problem fixed. He was very polite and I thanked him several times. He also asked that I keep them in mind for my regular service needs and any other time I needed work on the van. I assured him he would do all the service on the van as long as we own it and I meant it. All I wanted was to have my concerns addressed and the problem to be fixed. He made sure that happened.

My wife was mad when the van wouldn't start for the third time, but I was relieved. It was a blessing the way it worked out.

All in all, I'm very happy with the service and Hyundai did right by me.

Jon
  • davethecarnutdavethecarnut Member Posts: 248
    Third time is the charm.....They still should've seen the TSB and stepped up to take care of it by the second time you brought it in. Don't hesitate to ask for discounts on the service for your van ;)
  • cfranzincfranzin Member Posts: 14
    Hi there. I am new to this forum, but I think I've found a place for answers! I see others have had the same problem as mine, but I wonder if it will continue.

We have a 2007 entourage..bought may 2006..currently 13900 miles. On Jan22, 08..it wouldn't start at the mall. Called Roadside assistance to jump start battery. THEN....Feb. 1st..wouldn't start at home. Called Roadside assistance to come have the battery started again. Drove it to my hyundai dealer (I go to Brad Benson in NJ) and they changed battery...the IPM (as per the TSB) and the junction box (is that the same thing as the IPM? I am car illiterate). Then..the other day..on June 25th...DIDN"T START!!! This time Roadside assistance charged me 59 dollars because apparently only 2 free services a year! I can't find that written anywhere. So..back to the dealer..very upset...because the other thing is ... the sliding doors on one side creak and cringe when trying to engage like they are misaligned. They couldn't find anything wrong with the battery but I was mad..I have two young kids and planning a trip to Toronto (an 8 hour drive) in 10 days. SO...they are willing to look at it thoroughly next week and give me a loaner.

What should I get them to check? THe mechanic that jump started the vehicle the third time insisted that the battery wasn't changed...it looked like the manufacturer's battery. I don't want to think the dealer "lied" on the service forms. I never asked to see the old parts.

I don't know if it is the same problem again..or if there is some kind of parasitic drain on the battery that perhaps is caused by my door problems (which is on and off since the time we got our van). I've read of a parasitic drain problem from someone else on here and in regards to the Sedona as well.

I want to make sure they get to the bottom of this..and I might request my 59 dollars from the dealer as well.

Has anyone had similar problems? THAT IS....the passenger door problem AND the battery not starting EVEN after changing the IPM ?

Carla
    Carla, sorry about your problem. Hopefully, my Hyundai is now fixed. My problem was fixed with replacing the IPM as per the TSB. However, it sounds like your van may have something different going on. My van would not jumpstart while I was having the problem. I tried jumping it with no luck. I also pulled out my voltmeter and determined that the battery was fully charged. In my mind I knew what the problem was and eventually got it fixed.

You may have a bad battery. If the dealer lied about replacing the battery, maybe they lied about replacing the IPM. But those are accusations you probably can't prove so I would be very careful about voicing them to anyone other than maybe the general mgr or the owner of the dealership.

As far as the $59 roadside charge, I went through that when my van wouldn't start the third time. I was told that if I called roadside assistance again that I would be charged. I was mad at the time and bottom line told them they would have to show me that in the contract.

I don't know what state you live in, but lemon laws are sometimes the answer. Hopefully, they will get it fixed and reimburse you for the towing charge. I still think it may be a different problem since your van jump started. If you take it on your trip, have a nice set of jumper cables and know how to use them just in case.

Good luck and please let us know what happens with the rest of the story.

PS My power door on the passenger side doesn't work right all the time, but it is rare and is not that big of a deal to me. Plus it seems to be getting better as the van ages.
  • cfranzincfranzin Member Posts: 14
    Thank you "wontstart". I live in NEW JERSEY...and I really hope I don't have to deal with the lemon law here. It seems pretty tight.

Yes..the minivan did start with a jump start this third time. When I drove it to Brad Benson Hyundai in South Brunswick, New Jersey, they told me the battery was fine...but they are giving me a loaner on Tuesday and checking out the car completely in case there is something that caused the battery to drain.

The second time it didnt' start back In February...they said the battery wasn't holding a charge.

I will keep you posted. Perhaps it is something else. I hope it will be something simple.

SO I am not the only one that has dealt with the this "only two free services a year" from Roadside Assistance? ..which i have to admit...they are very prompt.

Carla