Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Entourage New Owner Reports

124»

Comments

• pafundipafundi Posts: 8
    1. I got more for my money

2. More safety features

3. Better safety report

4. It seemed a little bigger, more room inside
  • glyokeglyoke Posts: 2
    We purchased an Entourage in 09/07 and have had two problems.
    The first was when the vehicle refused to turn over at all. OK for lights and other electrics. The roadside assistance people were called, who eventually called for a tow. As others have found out, there is a TSB for the junction/fuse box, which was replaced.
    The other problem was with the DVD player not ejecting discs. No resolution yet.
  • wontstartwontstart Posts: 4
    We have a 2007 Hyundai Entourage that we purchased new last year. On 4/11/08 the van would not start. All electrics worked and I even checked the battery with my multimeter and it was fully charged. Turn the key, nothing happened. I called roadside assistance and told them it would be OK to pick it up in the morning. The next morning while my wife was taking the baby seat out of the van to put in my pickup, she tried to start it and it started right up. We cancelled the tow. I did some research and found the TSB that listed the IPM module that is bad will give the intermittent no crank/no start problem. I printed it out in case the van wouldn't start in the future. On 5/11/08, I parked the van at Kmart and came back out 5 min. later and the van wouldn't start. I called my wife and she brought my truck and picked me up. We went to church and came back 4 hours later and the van started right up.

I called Dave Menegay Hyundai in Rainbow City AL and was told to bring the van in today (5/13/08). My dad drove it down there and they simply said, we can't do anything unless it won't start for us. Of course it will start up, it was driven down here (40 miles away). They flatly stated that they couldn't help. They even had the nerve to say "maybe it won't do it again." Maybe doesn't cut it when I'm stuck hundreds of miles from home with a wife and 3 year old in the car.

So now I have a $30000 van that is fully warranteed that I'm afraid to drive out of town. I showed them the TSB and that this is a known problem and the only thing they can tell me is to bring it back if it happens again. I've been in touch with the corporate office and I will get satisfaction on this matter either through customer service or litigation if needed.

Do any of you have any suggestions on additional steps I should take? I've already documented the two no start occasions and the dealer's treatment. I'm also going to print out all the info. from other owners that have had the same problem.

I'll keep you updated.

Jon
  • davethecarnutdavethecarnut Posts: 248
    Just keep getting on corporate's case.
    I'm really surprised this is still an issue. It happened to me in Dec 06. But my van was one of the early production models. I can't believe this is still happening on the "newer" ones. That's B.S. E-mail and call them as much as you can. Your close enough to Atlanta, have them send a regional rep to look at your van.
    How are AL's lemon laws?
  • mknightmknight Posts: 57
    First, this doesn't seem to happen unless you leave the headlight switch in the 'on' position, not the 'auto' position. My wife likes leaving it in the 'on' position for safety reasons.

Anyway, in this position when you switch off the key and remove it the parking lights stay on until you open the drivers door.

The other day I went out to put a new CD in the radio. The old CD will eject without the ignition turned on but you can't insert a new CD without switching on the ignition. So, I go out and hop in on the passenger side because it's the closest door instead of walking around the car. I put my key in the ignition to activate the radio, swap the CDs, remove my key, hop out and go back in the house.

Later my wife looks out and says, 'Why are the parking lights on in the van.'

The lesson is: You have to open the DRIVERS DOOR to turn off the parking lights when you leave the light switch in the ON position. Not the passenger door.

--Mike
    As you know from my earlier post, my van was taken to the dealer but nothing was done about the non-start problem b/c they couldn't reproduce it. That evening, the van wouldn't start at McDonald's. I had my 3 year old son and 3 year old nephew with me. I called the roadside assistance people and they dispatched a tow truck. The driver showed up and attempted to jump start the van, no go. I had them tow it back to the dealer and the service mgr called me the next morning. He said the van started right up for him, but he knew that I had a problem. He told me he would get on the phone with a district service mgr and see what could be done. He called me back a few minutes later and told me they would install a new IPM module the next day. I now have the van back and am really pleased with the way the dealership handled it the second time around.

The service dept. mgr simply needed to go higher up to get the problem fixed. He was very polite and I thanked him several times. He also asked that I keep them in mind for my regular service needs and any other time I needed work on the van. I assured him he would do all the service on the van as long as we own it and I meant it. All I wanted was to have my concerns addressed and the problem to be fixed. He made sure that happened.

My wife was mad when the van wouldn't start for the third time, but I was relieved. It was a blessing the way it worked out.

All in all, I'm very happy with the service and Hyundai did right by me.

Jon
  • davethecarnutdavethecarnut Posts: 248
    Third time is the charm.....They still should've seen the TSB and stepped up to take care of it by the second time you brought it in. Don't hesitate to ask for discounts on the service for your van ;)
  • cfranzincfranzin Posts: 14
    Hi there. I am new to this forum, but I think I've found a place for answers! I see others have had the same problem as mine, but I wonder if it will continue.

We have a 2007 entourage..bought may 2006..currently 13900 miles. On Jan22, 08..it wouldn't start at the mall. Called Roadside assistance to jump start battery. THEN....Feb. 1st..wouldn't start at home. Called Roadside assistance to come have the battery started again. Drove it to my hyundai dealer (I go to Brad Benson in NJ) and they changed battery...the IPM (as per the TSB) and the junction box (is that the same thing as the IPM? I am car illiterate). Then..the other day..on June 25th...DIDN"T START!!! This time Roadside assistance charged me 59 dollars because apparently only 2 free services a year! I can't find that written anywhere. So..back to the dealer..very upset...because the other thing is ... the sliding doors on one side creak and cringe when trying to engage like they are misaligned. They couldn't find anything wrong with the battery but I was mad..I have two young kids and planning a trip to Toronto (an 8 hour drive) in 10 days. SO...they are willing to look at it thoroughly next week and give me a loaner.

What should I get them to check? THe mechanic that jump started the vehicle the third time insisted that the battery wasn't changed...it looked like the manufacturer's battery. I don't want to think the dealer "lied" on the service forms. I never asked to see the old parts.

I don't know if it is the same problem again..or if there is some kind of parasitic drain on the battery that perhaps is caused by my door problems (which is on and off since the time we got our van). I've read of a parasitic drain problem from someone else on here and in regards to the Sedona as well.

I want to make sure they get to the bottom of this..and I might request my 59 dollars from the dealer as well.

Has anyone had similar problems? THAT IS....the passenger door problem AND the battery not starting EVEN after changing the IPM ?

Carla
    Carla, sorry about your problem. Hopefully, my Hyundai is now fixed. My problem was fixed with replacing the IPM as per the TSB. However, it sounds like your van may have something different going on. My van would not jumpstart while I was having the problem. I tried jumping it with no luck. I also pulled out my voltmeter and determined that the battery was fully charged. In my mind I knew what the problem was and eventually got it fixed.

You may have a bad battery. If the dealer lied about replacing the battery, maybe they lied about replacing the IPM. But those are accusations you probably can't prove so I would be very careful about voicing them to anyone other than maybe the general mgr or the owner of the dealership.

As far as the $59 roadside charge, I went through that when my van wouldn't start the third time. I was told that if I called roadside assistance again that I would be charged. I was mad at the time and bottom line told them they would have to show me that in the contract.

I don't know what state you live in, but lemon laws are sometimes the answer. Hopefully, they will get it fixed and reimburse you for the towing charge. I still think it may be a different problem since your van jump started. If you take it on your trip, have a nice set of jumper cables and know how to use them just in case.

Good luck and please let us know what happens with the rest of the story.

PS My power door on the passenger side doesn't work right all the time, but it is rare and is not that big of a deal to me. Plus it seems to be getting better as the van ages.
    Thank you "wontstart". I live in NEW JERSEY...and I really hope I don't have to deal with the lemon law here. It seems pretty tight.

Yes..the minivan did start with a jump start this third time. When I drove it to Brad Benson Hyundai in South Brunswick, New Jersey, they told me the battery was fine...but they are giving me a loaner on Tuesday and checking out the car completely in case there is something that caused the battery to drain.

The second time it didnt' start back In February...they said the battery wasn't holding a charge.

I will keep you posted. Perhaps it is something else. I hope it will be something simple.

SO I am not the only one that has dealt with the this "only two free services a year" from Roadside Assistance? ..which i have to admit...they are very prompt.

Carla
  • Hey New Jersey. I wish you and all of the other Entourage owners luck with their vans. We just finally settled our isses with Hyundai. It took over a year to handle it through the lemon law, but if you decide to go that way, there is already a case on the books. I can't go into it much do to the agreement, but do not let them give you the run around.

As for the no start issues, we had that too - after 3 times, they finally determined it was due to a relay problem under the dash. There was a constant drain on the battery. The car would not start, but the radio, lights, etc worked!

And, as for the door issues, I too have children and that concerned us greatly as the doors did open on several occasions while the van was in drive and moving along. They dismissed it, but as I stated, I worked to hard to have my children and were were not going to let a dealership or company determine their life value in regards to the doors opening!

I wish you luck and please do not give up!!! Please note this as well, there have been no more advertisements for their vans in over 9 months!!!

Good luck!
    Well....we had the van thoroughly checked and it appears that there was also a TSB on the junction box under the dash...so that was replaced. This is separate from the TSB on the IPM (which we changed in February). As for the sliding door issue....it appears to be a common problem now with the 2007 Entourage and they suspect a recall soon to replace some part. They were awesome with us, and even gave us 2 free oil changes for paying the 59 dollars we had to give roadside assistance for starting our battery the THIRD time.

The mechanic is waiting for Hyundai for the go ahead to fix what he thinks is the problem with the sliding doors often seen.

We'll see!
    The junction box under the dash was what was replaced on mine also. That has taken care of the problem for us (so far, anyway). Congratulations, it sounds like you got the problem fixed and it sounds like your dealer is going the extra mile for you. Be sure and give the dealership a good review when you get your service questionair in the mail.

Kudos to your persistence and to the dealer's level of service. :)
    I am quite impressed with how our dealership handled this. We spoke with the lead mechanic who seems to be on top of this and is keeping his eyes out for when Hyundai decides to send out a recall on the sliding door issue. But so far...our van has been affected by the TSB on the IPM and the junction box under the dash. We hope we are done with the dead battery issue and we'll be re-discussing the sliding door issue at our next oil change to see if there are further developments. They were awesome to give us two free maintenance visits because of our troubles. I'll keep everyone posted.
  • belfastbelfast Posts: 18
    We purchased a new Entourage limited on Feb 14 and headed for a holiday in the USA,problem....our battery failed and we went to a Hyundia dealer in Yuma Arizona only to be told Hyundia warranty of veichels purchased in Canada (by a canadian) are NOT COVERED IN THE USA and viceversa,. Hyundia USA in California confirmed this fact. We needed a battery and our dealer in Canada supplied the Yuma AZ. dealer with a credit card number. Yes we did get a new batt BUT AT AN ALMOST $500 cost. enough Hyundia we will be going back to another brand on our return. BE AWARE OF HYUNDIA LACK OF WARRANTY ACCROSS RHE BORDER. :cry:
  • belfastbelfast Posts: 18
    Typo error, amount charged for battery NOT $500 should read $400.
    Belfast :cry:
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Posts: 312
    Good God man you paid $400 for a battery. Call your credit card company and dispute. You only paid about $320 more then you needed to. You got ripped big time.
  • I bought a 2008 Entouage and I had the same complaint. They told me this is normal too. If you get anywhere with this could you please let me know what you did. You can write me at w1zardb1ker@msn.com any time. I am in Bel Air, Md
  • Is that Canadian dollars??? Seriously, call, write, email Hyundai and get a refund, man.
  • I would like to remove my center console/folding beverage holder tray mounted to the side of the front passenger seat on my Hyundai Entourage. I need all the space between the two fronts seats that I can get. I thought it would be an easy job, but I can't seem to figure out how that thing comes off. I need the full space between the front seats for frequent trips to the back of the van. It looks like I'll have to take out the passenger seat to remove the tray. If anyone knows the answer, or knows where to get this info, please advise.
    Thanks
  • I think it just folds down to the side
  • I don't know if this is exactly the same, I used to use a jumper to get mine started, which I kept behind the drivers seat, and brought it in to recharge. Now it will not start with that. Can not afford the dealership since I have over 124000miles, asked my nephew to get the battery checked. He said he did it yesterday, and the battery was ok. They said the car started twice after that, this morning I would not start again. At first it would turn over, but could not just get that extra to start. Lately the dash has a very rapid clicking when it gets tired of trying to turn over. All other electrical items work (radio, lights inside and out, door locks & windows. Do not have auto door openers. Have read your messages but can not trace your components at the auto part stores. Nephew who swears he's a mechanic insist it is related to the '06 &'09 recalls. I have located the fuze box at the drivers left knee and the one in the engine compartment, just do not know which one is the TSB or how to get the replacement from the parts store.
  • I've owned my 2007 entourage since 2008 and it's been a NIGHTMARE :sick:
    While getting a routine maintenance Oct of 2012 I was told the door latches had been recalled and were no longer on back ordered from the manufacture. So i agree to have the latches replaces. Now almost 1 yr later the drivers power sliding door will not stay shut and opens while driving. I called my local Hyundai and was asked how many miles were not on the care. After giving the mileage I was informed that we are out of warranty because the part has a 1yr or 12k warranty. I explained to the guy they only reason we exchanged the latches was because of the recall and we had no issues before hand. After the rep explained the dangers of faulty latches I was scared of exactly what is happening to me now. I have 3 toddler children and the last thing I need if the doors opening while on the interstate. I find it completely outrageous that my latches were part of a recall but now have a limited warranty. Does this sound right or make any sense? Anyone else experience this type of issue? Any suggestions of how to get Hyundai to take responsibility for the part?
124»