Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Lumina Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• 93loomina93loomina Member Posts: 1
    I'm getting a check engine light with a trouble code 42 after the engine stalls. The engine has been stalling at various speeds, and usually once the engine is warmed up. The engine may stall at idle one moment, at 45 or 65 next, requiring I put the transmission in neutral (while) coasting, to try restarting the engine. I replaced the spark plugs and wires at the end of March/2007 when I found a wire was arcing to the engine strut bracket. 2 months later the engine started stalling, and has been getting worse. I replaced the fuel filter (no fix), then the air filter (no fix), then the crankshaft sensor (no fix), then I cleaned the air intake (no fix) - the stalling decreased when engine is still cool, and gets bad when engine gets hotter.
    Next thing I'm planning to do is to remove the ignition module and coil assembly to see if a local auto part store can put on a bench tester.
    Does anyone have a similar problem and a solution?
  • ilumnia96ilumnia96 Member Posts: 1
    Well Your Anti-lock Sensors on the right is out and it is about a 300 to 400 dollar job
  • cog1233cog1233 Member Posts: 4
    Hey!If you didn't find one yet,try the Auto Zone site.
  • z34luverz34luver Member Posts: 1
    It's Good to replace all those Items But your going to far!
    If its not mechanical. Chances are the problem is the info from one of many sensors that your ECM is reading.
    if you don't like to visit a mechanic every time a lite comes on what you need to get is a codereader/Scanner for your year & make of your vehicle. a scanner will give you more details then just a codereader. I just changed my MAP sensor and that was the problem.
    the most common problem is the O2 sensor. hope this helps.
    Z34Luver
  • cincyscincys Member Posts: 2
    Your ac charge and to check and pressure is under your windshield fluid and batt.
  • b1gr3db1gr3d Member Posts: 1
    You may want to do a fuel pressure test to eliminate the fuel pump pressure. A weak fuel pressure system, though it may run, can cause other sensors, such as an oxygen sensor to give a false reading. If the fuel pressure is even 2 pounds weak, replace the fuel pump.
  • lawman68lawman68 Member Posts: 6
    From some other forums I have read I need to replace the "flasher". Does anyone know where it is on a '91?
    Look in your owners manual.There should be 2 of them I think and they are normally in the fuse panel.They will be big square ones.
    For those that might need this in the future, the flasher is under the dash, above the gas pedal. It is round and should be attached by a clip that you can just push and pull it from.

Lawman
    :)
    See post #58.

BTW, no tools needed. :shades:
  • mharnischmharnisch Member Posts: 11
    I need to replace the rear leaf spring rubber insulators on my 1991 Lumina. I would like to do this myself, but have never done it before. Can anyone help me with some direction? It looks like the ends of the leaf spring need to be lifted just enough to slide on the new insulators. I do not know how to do this. Does it require special tools? Or can a bottle jack be used uner the spring to raise each end? Help will be greatly appreciated.
  • lawrencegagaslawrencegagas Member Posts: 2
    Newby here.
    I have a 1995 lumina sedan. when I try to accelerate it seems to hesitate unless I depress the accelerator all the way down and downshifting.when at highway speed i depress the pedal and either nothing happens of it responds very slowly.again downshifting seems to help.

Any suggestions and help????? thanks Larry
    I have a 91 Lumina Euro. I am trying to replace a rear strut that has blown. I have the two bolts above the tire in the wheel well and the top bolt on the lower section out. The bottom bolt will not move. The bolt has groves on it that I am guessing are to keep it from turning. I am also guessing these same groves are whats preventing the bottom bolt from coming out. Does anyone have an idea of how to remove the bolt? The top one came out with a couple of light taps from a hammer.
    Nevermind. I took the knuckle off and used a larger hammer to get the bolt out.
  • ralphie_21ralphie_21 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 lumina my delay and the low setting do not work on my wipers only high, and mist work. Does anyone have any ideas? Because to replace the switch you have to replace the motor and all and it's like $300
  • lacmarinelacmarine Member Posts: 2
    I need to find an abs module for my 2000 Chevy Lumina. I found one on ebay that says it fits 1996-2000 Lumina Car Assembly; except. option 9C3 and option 9C6. My problem is that I don't know where to find out what option codes my vehicle has. Can anyone help? - my vin# is 2g1wl52j5y1137349. Thank you.
  • sleazyyodasleazyyoda Member Posts: 1
    pump shaft seal gasket goes out alot on the luminas

when it goes out the fluid leaks out .

it acts like that when its out of fluid . plus it lets air in which messes stuff up

seal kit costs 9.99 just did mine last weekend

when the seal gets really bad the fluid leaks out really fast.
  • epadam98epadam98 Member Posts: 1
    About a month ago my fuel pump went out on my 3.1engine and after replacing it my car had a jerk
    now and then. It has gradually got worse. There is no check engine light. Any ideas
    Did you ever replace your fuel filter?If it is getting pluged,this could explain why your pump went out to begin with.Check all grounds and hoses too.
  • mcwebermcweber Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Lumina Sedan. Just had the transmission rebuilt at 190,000.
  • smprfi1978smprfi1978 Member Posts: 4
    I've got a 1998 Lumina with 168K miles.

The problem is my 17 year old son cut the corner too sharp and damaged the right rear rim on the curb. Had to replace the rim. Tire was mounted and balanced on another rim.

However now there's a constant thump whenever I accelerate above 15 mph. At speed it almost sounds as if there's a helicopter hovering over the right rear of the car. The noise was not there prior to breaking the rim.

I'm thinking the wheel bearings may be damaged, but I open for suggestions. Anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be?
  • jasper60103jasper60103 Member Posts: 22
    I have a 95 lumina w/170K.

I would probably put on the doughnut spare and go for a test drive. If the problem persists, you know for sure its not related to the tire/rim.
    Put the spare on this afternoon. Unfortunately, the noise didn't change much.
  • jasper60103jasper60103 Member Posts: 22
    Well, It sounds suspension/drive related for sure.
    Sorry, wish I could help.
    It's the wheel hub bearings. They're shot.
  • sirgovsirgov Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 lumina, I had head problems when I bought the car. I opt to replace the motor and now that i have it want start. It doesn't seem to be getting fire. it was running fine before the new motor. everything is hooked up. Could it be that the computer needs to be re programed?
  • cfloyd18cfloyd18 Member Posts: 1
    is it compatible with a 3.4 lumina or monte carlo to do a motor swap?
  • seibertmanseibertman Member Posts: 1
    how long to change brake booster &master cylinder on a 1994 chevy lumnia z34
  • polishhammerjrpolishhammerjr Member Posts: 1
    1996 LS model with 125K on it, the problems are as listed
    Power steering
    - Will work on and off
    Won't start after X number of starts
    - All electronics will start and turn on, engine won't do anything
    Whenever it does decide to start
    - Clicking noise that eventually goes away
    Acceleration
    - It will hesitate on acceleration, flooring it will make it go but nothing other than that
  • diddy1diddy1 Member Posts: 2
    engine hesitate like it want to cut off!
  • tphmaggietphmaggie Member Posts: 2
  • tphmaggietphmaggie Member Posts: 2
    I turn my car on and every thing electrical works. Battery is good. Starter works. Will not communicate with Autotech II.
  • bigdograinbigdograin Member Posts: 3
    what is a code 35 on a 1991 chevy lumina is my computer faulty car will not start at all ran fine yesterday but had one stall but started right away. now will not start at all changed map sensor. just put fuel injector cleaner in the fuel could it have an effect.
  • wzbzjmnwzbzjmn Member Posts: 5
    I have a 1991 chevey Lumina/euro 3.1 engine. I am having trouble with the engine sputtering like it isn't getting gas. This problem is intermittant and seems to happen when I decelerate. It almost seems like the engne is going to cut off but I just keep pumping the gas and then it goes back to normal. Is this a gas or electrical problem or could it be caused by the temp sensor or any sensor sending the wrong info to the computer. Where do I start.....Help!
    yeah if your car at least turns over. but will not start you could have a lot of problems. check your sensors. do a manual diagnostic. i recommend getting a chiltons book. but test the exaust regulator solenoid. if no take your o2 sensor out. if it is very black then their is probly a block in your catalatic converter. seems like these cars are getting notorious for burnt heads and exaust problems. oh yeah and for all you lumina owners take care of the undercarriage. tends to rust and cause a lot of problems.
    does smoke tend to come out of the manifolds when it starts to get hot. sounds. like you have a caytalatic converter that is plugged. change that .
    I recently bought a 1991 Lumina from a friend who had the same problem. He had the torque converter clutch replaced. That solved the problem with it not going into gear, but he also had a hesitation when he was on the freeway. I have inherited this problem. I getting a 42 code which indicates a faulty circuit or short in the EST (Electric Spark Timing) System. Also I've heard it could be the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). I Also need to replace my Catalytic Converter, but would that cause the car to hesitat so bad. And isn't there something else wrong with the cars performance to have the catalytic converter go out in the first place? does anyone know?
    Check your EST circuitry, for shorts or shorts to ground. Are you getting codes?
  • luminalumina Member Posts: 1
    Encendió luz de presion baja de aceite teniendo el nivel de aceite normal y encendió luz de seguridad; el motor se detuvo no pudiendo hacerlo funcionar.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Hola lumina,
    Lo siento, pero nosotros hablamos ingles exclusivamente aqui en estos foros. Se necesita buscar un sitio hispanohablante para la problema de su Lumina.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• fuzz26fuzz26 Member Posts: 1
    check you MASS airflow sensor, map sensor and or see if your air plenum on top the engine is cracked or not
  • luminaguy93luminaguy93 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1993 Lumina Euro 3.1, it has 120k on it and the overdrive gear is going out on me it will slip when i try to speed up on the highway unless i force a downshift by hitting the gas or moving the shifter, i also have a trans for a 2000 chevy malibu, it is a 4speed auto and i am wondering if i will be able to swap it out, they are a different trans but they are bolth 4speed, i think i will be able to do it if i get the ECM from a malibu but i am not sure, can some one give me some input on the subject?

thanks
  • emansdrawkcabemansdrawkcab Member Posts: 2
    use your money to buy a car that doesn't look like grandma's! my lumina is a great car except the fact that it looks like it should have soccer balls and shin guards in the back seat...
  • masterson89masterson89 Member Posts: 1
    if your cat needs to be replaced because it's rattling there is a good possibilty that your exhaust has excessive back pressure, which is hard to diagnose without running a back pressure test. your exhaust my seem fine, by listening and feeling but without doing a back pressure test u won't know. u should be n the area of around 2-6 psi backpressure much more than that will cause stalling and hesitation . if u have no access to back pressure testers you can remove your o2 sensor in front of the cat to let the exhaust escape or unbolt ur exhaust at the manafold. it'll be loud but if it runs better that was ur problem. also back pressure will cause the computer to belive that your other sensors mey be feeding fals info when really there fine, such as throttle position sensors, M.A.P. , M.A.S. O2. this will in turn cause erratic shifting of your tranny and also a huge loss of power and fuel economy. now after this is determind, u still have to know what caused your cat to be fried n the first place. don't replace it untill u fix the problem or u'll fry your new one .check out that EST problem that can casue rich fuel mixtures that will fry ur cat. also engine coolant will fry a cat in minutes. if you have had head gasket problems of allowed coolant into your combustion chamber that may have been your problem.never diagnose a bad tranny untill your engine is running good. hope i helped. good luck
  • mattchuumattchuu Member Posts: 1
    at a gas station my bottom radiator hose got a hole so i replaced it and filled the radiator back up with coolant. there was a sticker in the engine compartment saying that there is a certain way to fill the radiator back up it said to refer to my owners manual for instructions. but it didn't give me a procedure to follow just info about how to mix the coolant and water. so i just filled it normally and now the low coolant light keeps coming on but radiator is full and the over flow tank is full. so dose anyone know the proper procedure?
    Yes you have help alot now i know where to start, i have worked on lots of car but most of the problems have been simple, altenator, starter, ect thanks for your time
    It is possable that the sencer is bad that tells the computer that you are low, another think may be there is a bubble around the sencer, my low coolent light recently came on and i checked my coolent lvls and they were full so i started it back up and drove down a really bumpy road and about 5 minuets later the light turned off, try that first and then check the sencer.
  • brian78brian78 Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 chevy lumina with 151400 miles jerks when shifted in to gear. It also jerks hard when shifting 1/2 the time through all gears. I can hear it whine most of the time as well. I have just bought the car from a dealer "as is" and they wont help me at all. What is the problem? And do I need it fixed imedently? The problem is no worse or better than when I bought it about 1000 miles ago.