Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Lumina Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• luminalumina Posts: 1
    Encendió luz de presion baja de aceite teniendo el nivel de aceite normal y encendió luz de seguridad; el motor se detuvo no pudiendo hacerlo funcionar.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,851
    Hola lumina,
    Lo siento, pero nosotros hablamos ingles exclusivamente aqui en estos foros. Se necesita buscar un sitio hispanohablante para la problema de su Lumina.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• fuzz26fuzz26 Posts: 1
    check you MASS airflow sensor, map sensor and or see if your air plenum on top the engine is cracked or not
  • I have a 1993 Lumina Euro 3.1, it has 120k on it and the overdrive gear is going out on me it will slip when i try to speed up on the highway unless i force a downshift by hitting the gas or moving the shifter, i also have a trans for a 2000 chevy malibu, it is a 4speed auto and i am wondering if i will be able to swap it out, they are a different trans but they are bolth 4speed, i think i will be able to do it if i get the ECM from a malibu but i am not sure, can some one give me some input on the subject?

thanks
  • use your money to buy a car that doesn't look like grandma's! my lumina is a great car except the fact that it looks like it should have soccer balls and shin guards in the back seat...
  • if your cat needs to be replaced because it's rattling there is a good possibilty that your exhaust has excessive back pressure, which is hard to diagnose without running a back pressure test. your exhaust my seem fine, by listening and feeling but without doing a back pressure test u won't know. u should be n the area of around 2-6 psi backpressure much more than that will cause stalling and hesitation . if u have no access to back pressure testers you can remove your o2 sensor in front of the cat to let the exhaust escape or unbolt ur exhaust at the manafold. it'll be loud but if it runs better that was ur problem. also back pressure will cause the computer to belive that your other sensors mey be feeding fals info when really there fine, such as throttle position sensors, M.A.P. , M.A.S. O2. this will in turn cause erratic shifting of your tranny and also a huge loss of power and fuel economy. now after this is determind, u still have to know what caused your cat to be fried n the first place. don't replace it untill u fix the problem or u'll fry your new one .check out that EST problem that can casue rich fuel mixtures that will fry ur cat. also engine coolant will fry a cat in minutes. if you have had head gasket problems of allowed coolant into your combustion chamber that may have been your problem.never diagnose a bad tranny untill your engine is running good. hope i helped. good luck
  • at a gas station my bottom radiator hose got a hole so i replaced it and filled the radiator back up with coolant. there was a sticker in the engine compartment saying that there is a certain way to fill the radiator back up it said to refer to my owners manual for instructions. but it didn't give me a procedure to follow just info about how to mix the coolant and water. so i just filled it normally and now the low coolant light keeps coming on but radiator is full and the over flow tank is full. so dose anyone know the proper procedure?
  • Yes you have help alot now i know where to start, i have worked on lots of car but most of the problems have been simple, altenator, starter, ect thanks for your time
  • It is possable that the sencer is bad that tells the computer that you are low, another think may be there is a bubble around the sencer, my low coolent light recently came on and i checked my coolent lvls and they were full so i started it back up and drove down a really bumpy road and about 5 minuets later the light turned off, try that first and then check the sencer.
  • brian78brian78 Posts: 2
    My 2000 chevy lumina with 151400 miles jerks when shifted in to gear. It also jerks hard when shifting 1/2 the time through all gears. I can hear it whine most of the time as well. I have just bought the car from a dealer "as is" and they wont help me at all. What is the problem? And do I need it fixed imedently? The problem is no worse or better than when I bought it about 1000 miles ago.
  • brian78brian78 Posts: 2
    My 2000 chevy lumina with 151400 miles jerks when shifted in to gear. It also jerks hard when shifting 1/2 the time through all gears. I can hear it whine most of the time as well. I have just bought the car from a dealer "as is" and they wont help me at all. What is the problem? And do I need it fixed imedently? The problem is no worse or better than when I bought it about 1000 miles ago.
  • I have a 1999 Chevy Lumina with over 200,000 miles. It will cut off while I am driving. The word VOLTS and picture of oil can will light up.
    Sometimes I will feel the car jerk so I will ease off of the gas pedal and it won't cut off. The fuel line was repaired about a month ago and the mechanic recommended replacing spark plugs and wiring. Any ideas as to what the problem could be? Thanks.
  • I have a 2000 Lumina. It also will whine at times and jerk when shifting. It is related to the transmission. Check the level of fluid. I have put an additive in the transmission fluid which thickens the fluid. It has helped my Lumina. It could be more trouble in your case but I chose the least expensive treatment first.
  • Leaking coolant from right hand side of motor(belt side) close to bottom of motor where all the pulleys bolt onto block appears to be some gasket top to bottom of the motor and my leak is near where the oilpan bolts to block, any ideas what this gasket is called, the water pump and Ac appears to be bolted to this plate.

hjc
  • the other day my wife's car over heated she pulled over and called me .It was about 1gal.low on antifreeze i filled it .drove home aprox.,15 mi. sat in garage all night no leaks.next day heated up again this time only about 1 qt.low today I got a chance to check it out.
    has 3.1 engine
    no antifreeze in oil.
    white smoke coming from exhaust
    is this a head gasket
    i would like a second option before I tear into it
    thanks
  • Sounds about right to be a head gasket, better check all top end gaskets, it could be just a intake gasket, but if the motor has more than 120k change them all just to prevent any future problems, thats if it is affordable, i know the economy isn't the best right now.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,588
    Please note this entry from Wikipedia:

"From the mid-1990s to 2003, some versions (the plastic intake manifold version) of this engine are involved in intake manifold gasket defects which caused coolant leakage often leading to engine failure. A series of class action lawsuits, implicating deterioration of the nylon/silicone material of the gasket & the heat warping of the plastic intake manifold upon exposure to Dexcool antifreeze, are pending on this issue. Tell-tale signs of such eventual related damage are a white foam that appears on the inside of the oil filler cap and the gradually increasing loss of antifreeze coolant (due to seepage into the intake passages which will lead to engine lock up failure in such cases). External seepage is also found near the valley edge of the lower intake manifold."

• tdsuntdsun Posts: 2
    Our daughter owns a 1990 Chevy Lumina, with 25,000 miles.
    When it shifts into passing gear, it dies. Other than that it works great.
    Any thoughts? thanks.
  • i have a 93 lumina and have replaced all of the sensors on it. it sputters and idles high and wont go in to gear sometimes. But will run fine for 10-15 min i know the transmission is good but i think the computer is bad any suggestions would be very helpful thanks
  • luis9luis9 Posts: 1
    the bloq is getting oil to the water :confuse:
  • Hey fellas,
    Wife's got a 99 lumina 3.1 liter with a rebuilt engine that has approx. 25,000 miles. Always seem to perform well with little maintenance and always kept fluids checked. Yesterday she states that all at once it started stalling, missing and making awful noise. This was about a mile from house. After a few stalls she made it home.
    EXACTLY as described when I fired it up however, along with the bucking, missing and stalling comes an awful noise... a tapping that won't go away.
    I was hoping perhaps I might get lucky and the noise could be from misfires and fuel restriction. Changed fuel filter today and cleaned throat with B-12. Same thing.
    Seemed noise was coming from front of engine around idler pulley. Checked it and no problem with idler. Took entire belt off and started again and noise is still prevalent with same miss, buck and stalling present.
    Disconnected front plug wires (wires closest to bumper) and they are firing strong. I'm in a wheelchair and the other wires below coils are rather tough for me to get to. Got to climb on engine to pull a wire but too much trouble to get out, start engine and get back on top to pull another to check for fire. I don't really think that is causing the noise (misfires) and it is certainly coming from engine. Perhaps I am wrong. Could anyone enlighten me a bit as to the causation of this?
  • Ok. I think I will put a compression tester on all cyls and see what I get. I suspect a broken valve spring or something of that nature. Sound is not constant rythmic but rather irratic tapping getting louder at times and softer at others kind of like a valve has dropped and piston is hitting it. Missing as if I have a plug wire off.
    Any suggestions as to what I should be getting when testing compression if this is the problem?
  • Alright. With throttle body butterfly open I performed a compression test on all 6 cyls. #2-195lbs, #4-180lbs, #6-140lbs, #1-195lbs, #3-164lbs, #5-110lbs.
    With symptoms described in first message and numbers above, does anyone have any thoughts?
    I'd say you have either a sticking valve lifter (or more than one) or some bad camshaft lobes or a loose rocker shaft perhaps. This isn't related to misfire, but rather to noise and perhaps stalling. You might need to have someone pop the valve covers off and look around here.

• Removed valve covers (pain in the@#!) yet did not see anything unusual. Spun over engine a few times. Minimal side to side movement on rocker arms. No signs of broken springs. Everything appears tight. Not sure how I check for collapsed or sticking lifter. ????
    You might have to put a torque wrench on the rocker arm bolts...see if any stud has pulled?

Also can you see the valve stems go up and down when you crank the engine? Any one hanging up?

Unfortunately, you have an UHC (underhead cam--that's kind of a joke I'm making here) so you can't view the cam lobes.

I guess you could run some additive that is extremely high detergent--no harm done at this point.

Otherwise, with such a variation in compression (did you test WARM, throttle open?), you may have to pull the heads if nothing apparent shows up.

My only other idea is that your exhaust system is totally plugged up, creating huge back pressure and keeping the cylinders from proper evacuation of gases.

• I have a 1999 Lumina LS w/3.1V6. It has 113K km (70k mi). I am in Canada so metric everything. I assume, based what I have read, it has the 4T65-E transmission. Its about three months now that I am having intermittent missing from the engine at certain speeds, namely 70 km (42mi) or higher.

With a cold car all is good. After a few miles it starts to intermittently miss and at certain circumstances. It is used mainly for work commute and is rarely used over 50 mph. At below 70kph (42mph) no problems. Starts are good, shifts are good (with the occasional hard shift) nothing exciting. When I get to the end of the 70k zone and accelerate gently, primarily uphill onramps, it will occasionally jerk numerous times, shift up then silence.

I brought it to a transmisison shop. They drove it and said it shifted fine. They recommended a fuel filter change and plug/wire verification. Since it was the cheapest route I did. New fuel filter and plugs/wires were checked. It "seemed" to respond better to shifts so i thought case closed. That was 2 weeks ago. Yesterday it did it again.

btw, The transmission oil was flushed at roughly 75k km (46.5k mi). It was done at a Penzoil location. They did NOT change the filter. A machine was plugged into the transmission cooler lines at the rad. They pumped out the old and replaced it with new oil. They said the filter was good for 100k km (60k mi).

After some "googling" I came accross something that "seems" to point to the problem.

At "autos.msn.com" there was something about the 1997 Lumina that talks about "can cause the vehicle to loose TCC operation or feel like an engine miss while driving between 40 and 60 mph." It talks about a TCC Regulator Valve. The 1999 write-up talks about a Transmission Pressure Control Solenoid (PCS). With all I have read 2 TSBs were mentioned:

00-07-30-002B & 02-07-30-022B

Other items I did read was that another filter/oil change might help since it may be a sticking internal valve and a filter change (since it was never done) would help. I called GM and a tranny mech. pointed out that oil/filter change would not help.

I went as far as got my hands on a engine computer, to check if any codes were registered. Nothing

I am at a standpoint. The car is well maintained and changing the car at this point is out of the question (if possible). Dropping in a new tranny (~$2000) would cost more than the value of the car. With it's low mileage for its age it's a shame to dump it.

Any advise would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks
  • tdsuntdsun Posts: 2
    Lumina - we have had our daughter's car in the shop since late August and just received it back. It too had engine stall once reaching passing gear. After much trial and error and $1450 it is working again. The mechanics discovered 4 of 6 fuel wires were shorting out once it warmed up. Hope this helps you.
  • it mite be the cam sensor that causes it not to have spark
  • I have a 94 lumina z34 replaced cam sensor after no spark ran for 40 mi before it died again changed injectors, computer, fuel pump, plugs and wires, upper and lower intake gaskets, coil pack, and timing belt i now have dead spot in one or two of the cylinders and still wont start can anyone tell me wats wrong really frustrated with it