Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Am Wet Floor!

Comments

• I have a 2002 Grand Am and it seem that the only time I have water is when I park on a little bit of an incline. I only get it on the passenger side of the car though. I'll have my boyfriend check to see if anything is clogged...didn't think about that. I'm more concerned that mine is going to leave me stranded somewhere again!

Have any of you posted complaints with the National Highway Saftey Admin to see if you can get them to force GM to do a recall?
  • I have a 95 Grand Am, floor was wet everywhere. Found that the Plenum or area under the cowl has two drains on either side that dump water onto a portion of the fire wall that meets up with the front wheel well. There is a Seam there and it collects water, causing it to rust out on both sides of the car. Pulling out the computer on the passenger side (beneath glove box), and behind the carpet an sound materials, there was a 2" wide by 12" long hole extending towards the centre of the car and under the heater. Also, on the drivers side, same spot between E-brake and brake peddle, a 2" hole. Since I only intend on keeping car for a few more years, i gutted it, dumped the soaked under pad, filled the holes with spray foam, coated the foam with undercoat in the engine compartment and drilled a few drain holes in the floor pan, in each channel. Got some cheap rubber under pad and put the carpet back. Problem solved. What a pain in the butt though.
    I work in one of GM's assembly plants and am happy to say that today, the firewall and wheel well on the inside of the vehicle are one stamped piece with no seem. i guess they figured it was a problem.

Mike
  • Mike,
    dang that does sound like a pain in the butt. me and my boyfriends uncle have been working on finding the leak for a while now. we spent 9 hours on the car last sunday. We'll see if it worked after we get a good rain. Right now I got other issues besides water in my car. First, my car started smoking one day when I arrived at work so I popped the hood and a good bit of smoke was coming out and a fluid was leaking onto the ground. I believe it's the power steering going out or something because my car is making a horrible loud noise when turning the steering wheel and it's getting progressively worse and hard to turn. bad news is no one is open because it's near thanksgiving so I gotta wait til maybe black friday and hope some mechanic can get me in short notice/without an appointment and hopefully fix it without it costing me too much money. All I do is keep putting money into this 95 POS grand am. GETS ANNOYING! after I get it fixed I'm selling it! right now I'm waiting on the ford dealership to call me back cuz I want a damn mustang :shades: , so I'm in the process of spending money to buy a newer car. LOL so happy thanksgiving to myself I guess. LOL stupid car problems. I wish I was a mechanic then I could fix my own [non-permissible content removed].
  • This is from all data........File In Section: 10 - Body

Bulletin No.: 73-10-68

Date: April, 1998

Subject:
    Water Leaking into Passenger Compartment
    (Apply RTV Silicone Sealer to Top Vent Grille Assembly)

Models:
    1996-98 Buick Skylark
    1996-98 Oldsmobile Achieva
    1996-98 Pontiac Grand Am

Condition

Some owners may comment on water leaking into the passenger front floor area.

Cause

Condition may be due to poor adhesion of the top vent grille assembly to the windshield. The existing seal tape can separate from the glass or the grill above the A/C air intake canister and allow water to overflow into the passenger front floor area.

Correction

Remove the top vent grille assembly. Clean the grille assembly and the surface of contact on the windshield of all sealing tape and adhesive residue. Apply a bead of RTV Clear Silicone Sealer from SM(R), Part # 08662, or equivalent, to the underside of the top vent grille assembly where the old seal tape was removed. Reinstall the grille. Wipe excess RTV Sealer horizontally across sealing area to achieve a smooth finish.
  • mas35mas35 Posts: 4
    thank you! I will try that fix, buy my leak is in both sides of the front and I have a 95 Grand AM -- I was told that it is more a problem of the firewall separation because the formulation for the steel plate was incorrect at manufacture and just rusted through!
  • Well after spending 9 hours on trying to find the leak I believe we got mine fixed finally. you gotta pull up the carpet on the driver side, take out the driver seat so you have room to get in the car and look around at things... apparently there's a panel right behind the parking brake and brake... I guess this panel was letting water come right through and that's why my floor would be wet or have an inch or two of water in the floor.. unfortunately when we pulled up the carpet we saw about an inch of water just hanging out. I had a friend of mine fix the leak, he probably put some sort of sealing material so that the panel wouldn't let anymore water come through. if you've tried everything, at least try pulling up the carpet a little bit so you can see the panel behind the brake pedal. have a friend get a hose and run water outside of the car, you should see water coming in. if so, plug up that hole. my car hasn't leaked since, although we haven't had a big rain lately, but we have had some rain and the floor should be soaked but it's not. worth checking into. I've taken my car to several places and they couldn't find the leak so me and some friends have been messing with it and I think we found it!
    p.s. I got a new car now though, so don't really care about the POS grand am anymore. LOL I just drive it in bad weather.
  • Progress to date on my 88 grand am leak:

1. The window had a long crack across the drivers side. Had it replaced by a mainline window vendor. They said that all the metal around the window was fine, paint was fine, no rust, no need to have anything welded or rebuilt. They said that they vacuumed out the air intake / windshield wiper levers box. I quizzed them about this and they said that there had been some organic stuff in there ( leaves, pine needles, etc.) but that it had all been vacuumed up.

2. Previous to replacing the window, I had sprayed Fabreze all over the interior and trunk to knock out the mildew odor. The car had not been used on a regular basis for some time and the mildew odor was overpowering. It significantly reduced the smell. I was then able to drive the car and take it in to have the windshield replaced.

3. I used my carpet cleaning machine with the upholstery attachment and spent a Saturday afternoon cleaning the interior and trunk. I saturated everything with spray, let it sit for awhile, and then used the spray and vacuum to finish the job. On a warm fall weekend, I left the windows open so it could all dry out. Nice clean smell now. ( I did look into using a detail company, but I figured I would give it a try first to hold costs down. )

3. Much later, after some major rain storms, i experienced some more water on the front drivers side floor. Arrg!!! I did some searches on the internet and found discussions on the plugged drain holes. I raised the hood and popped off some of the plastic retainers on the black plastic coverings over the air intake / windshield wiper levers box. Near the drivers side, I squeezed my hand in and felt around looking for a drain. My fingers pushed through a small rubberized, magnetized, flapper opening into the engine compartment. I was able to verify that this opening was working and would drain out any water into the engine compartment. I then went over to the passenger side. I found the air intake box, but was not able to find a flapper opening on that side. ( curious, there should be a way to drain water on the passenger side.) I examined the firewall from the engine compartment, and saw a rubber covered fixture below the air intake fan motor housing. I was finally able to check that flapper valve by putting my left hand, palm facing backward and upward, down through the tubes and pipes, and lift up the flapper valve. There was a small chute under the air intake box and it was plugged with a lot of wet organic material. I reached in with my fingers and was able to pull out a lot of the wet material, but not all. I then poured water, cleaned out, poured more water, cleaned out, etc., until I was sure that the chute was clear. So, water must have been filling this chute, encountered some loose seams on the air intake box, and then flowing in to the passenger cabin. Success at last! Keep that chute/flapper valve clean and working and this problem is fixed!!!! ( Not! )

4. After some time, some water began to appear on the front passenger side. There had been some rain storms, but how was the water getting to the passenger side? The mildew smell started up again. I found "odor genie" at Home Depot and that has help keep the mildew smell from coming back. Back to the Internet! There were discussions about the rubber door seals leaking and a leaking seam between the firewall panel and the floorboard panel. I checked and verified that all the drain holes and vents on the bottom of the doors were clear of dirt and debris and should properly drain water. Today I removed the lower plastic trim in the passenger compartment near the doors and pulled back the carpets from behind the pedals. I found a lot of moisture on the driver side by the door molding. The rubber looked a little worn in places, so I will probably replace it. I looked at the condition of the seam sealer all along the front edge behind the brake petals and on the passenger side. The sealer looked to be in good condition, but I did find a lot of moisture. I dried it out and stuffed old towels along seam. I will check the towels tomorrow to see if I can tell what direction the water is coming from. I looked to find a drain line from the ac/heater box under the dash, but could not see or feel it.

4. I will go to the Library and see if they have a shop manual so I can find the condensation drain line from the ac/heater box under the dash. I will also look to figure out how to remove the windshield wiper arm so I can totally remove the black plastic cover over the air intake box and seal any seams on the air intake box.
  • I drive a 97 pontiac grand am and was sweating the cost of getting this piece of garbage fixed... I have a swimming pool on the floor of my car. i started on the drivers side, them both back seats, now the passenger side. I've asked 2 pretty sharp mechanics if they see any reason where this is coming from, etc etc and they just cant figure this out (granted body work wasn't their forte) After it rains, i go to the carwash and vaccuum all the rain out, but when I wake up in the morning to go to work, more water gets in! This is driving me crazy! Dear forum readers, I need a quick fix: Where is this coming from, how do I fix it, and anything I can do to prevent this from worsening: Thanks a billion. Im glad to know so many of us Grand am drivers have the same problem.
  • hey,
    my advice, there is water laying somewhere. I'm guessing it might be coming through the firewall.. maybe lift the carpet up where the gas pedal, brake pedal are. the water might be coming through the firewall and coming right down through the panel behind the brake pedal. hard to explain but I saw it for myself when I pulled the carpet back. watched the water come right down behind the brake pedal. I've spent hours and lots of money on my 95 trying to fix it. FINALLY I said wtf? and bought me a brand new ford mustang. :blush:
    I doubt it's the windshield but who knows. that's the only thing I haven't had replace in my car yet. when it rains I still get water in my car but not as bad since we sealed up where we saw the water coming from. I'd save yourself a lot of aggravation and buy a car cover for it... when it's supposed to rain go out there and put it on. this is a flaw that A LOT of people have had with this car... no definite fix. my car smells like mildew and mold, it's disgusting. I hate it. it's frustrating so you're definitely not alone! good luck.
  • thanks so much for the advice! Once it warms up (Im in Ohio) I'll get to work. For now, its vaccuum out the water (as long as its not frozen!)!
  • Behind the glove box in your GA there is the intake for the A/C unit. All it is is a flap that opens and closes. My 93 GA leaked water correction poured buckets of water on my passenger side floor and glove box.
    Take off your windshield wipers. (not kidding) Take off that black piece of trim under your windshield wipers (still not kidding) On the passenger side of the car you'll see the flap, this is what opens and closes for the A/C unit. The problem is the gasket they used between that flap and the steel of the car. This piece needs to be removed and cleaned. Below this piece there is a seep hole for water to escape out. I know i had to clean my out it was completely clogged with crap. I also trimed some of the plastic off to not let it get as clogged as fast.
    When i went to reinstall the flapper thing i ran a bead of silicone around the housing for the flapper, put it back in and bolted it down. and then used the remaing silicone to COMPLETELY COVER THE EDGE. Tighted the screws back and guess what it's been completely dry on my passenger side for 7 months now. But yes i have the same problem with the drivers side, and from what i have found it is behind the brake pedals, (this summers project) as far as the back seat floor the only thing i can determine is either gasket around the trunk lid. under my back seat, in the spare tire area and my floor get's soaked and i can't figure it out.

Hopefully this helped you out

Chuck :D
  • i own a 96 grand am and i cant seem to get the water out! i though i fixed the problem wen i found a 1" diameter rust hole on the drivers side firewall were the wires come into the engine bay. i filled it with foam waited for it to rain again and still no luck. because of the whole that was on the fire wall the water dumped onto the remote start and caused it to short out burning up my starter switch. my drivers side, passenger side and both back seat floors are soaked all the time. sometimes there is up to 3" of water on the floors of the back seat i have tried putting my car on car ramps and letting all the water go to the back seats and vacuuming it out with a shop vac and the water just comes right back!! If anyone knows exactly what the problem is PLEASE let me know!!!!!!!
  • Hello, I have a passenger car leak. its under the door panel, and makes the passenger floor wet and the rear passenger side wet as well. I am not sure if its coming from were the whipper are or the seal under the door, the panel seems to have water spots on it as well, I pulled the panel off to get the water dry under the carpet on the floor in the passenger. Not sure what the problem but its not that bad in the front passenger but the rear passenger floor seems to be the worst with the wetness. HELP ME, its a 2000 pontiac grand am se2, two door. THANKS MIke
  • Hi I have a 1997 grand am v6 3.1leater engine and on my driver side floor there is a huge puddle of water every time i remove the water the next time it rains the waters back and its starting to move into the back seat i cant find the leak any ware if anyone can help me with this that would be great thank you.
  • I have a 95 Grand Am and my floor was getting wet and my windows fogged on the inside. I was told it was my heater core (which seems to be a problem on the 95 Grand Am) and had it replaced.
  • hartt1hartt1 Posts: 3
    For Everyone that has this problem and has a sunroof the water is leaking in from there the are 2 drainage holes that are visable when the sunroof is open the water will back up inside of the car on eitherside depending on which hole is blocked. easy fix is a straw, blow into (gently if you break the tube you have to buy the part an have it installed) pour sum water repeat till u see water clearly roll out, the water should come out under or near the front fenders by the wheels
  • I have a 94 Grand Am and have been fighting this problem for awhile now. Still no success, but I can give you a money saving tip while you try to diagnose the problem. You MUST determine what kind of water is leaking....rain water or engine water. Engine water will have coolant in it, will smell and have a sweet taste(lol, I know gross). Dont waste your money replacing a heater core unless its engine water thats inside the car. Another thing to consider is if your car is parked on an incline over night...if so the water maybe coming in from the front and running under the carpet into the back seat. Thats whats happening to mine but I cant find where its coming from at the firewall.
  • poboy3poboy3 Posts: 1
    Look on the firewall on the drivers side for a rectangular electrical box about 2" x 4", its about 8" below the windshield and about 8" from the inner fender. Buy a tube of weather stripping sealer. Seal around the base of this box, On mine after the sealer I sprayed black rubber under coating over it. This worked for me. It took a year to find the problem. Good Luck.
  • I agree. I am so glad to have found this forum.. I will add another level to the Pontiac Grand Am water issue.. Mine is 94. I recently got this car, as it was my dad's. Very low mileage, and he kept it very well maintained BUT it sat for quite awhile without being driven (about 6 months and then went through a cold winter in an unheated garage (Northern Wisconsin) .

I have water that now accumulates in the back passenger floor well and on the driver's front side only. Sometimes I have 2 inches in the back seat. I dried it all out, (still not knowing for sure where it is coming from), and with the floors perfectly dry, I drove it for about 2 miles, let it sit in front of my office, (not raining) and when I came back out to go home, it looked like a poured a couple gallons of water in it!

My guy and my mechanic that there is a leak where water is getting in and getting trapped. I will pass these replies onto them BUT how do I explain the two different places that ge t wet.. (Front Driver's and back passenger)?

I would love and greatly apppreciate all the help and suggestions that any has to offer.. I love the car, but I hate letting it just sit and not be used.
  • Honestly, I think you should take advantage of the Cash For Clunker government program being offered right now (I would think a 94 Grand Am would quality for this deal). The Cash For Clunker deal is sweet and I only wish I wouldn't have let my 95 Pontiac Grand Am go to the Demolition Derby at the County Fair last summer. If I had kept it on the road one more year I could have traded it in at book value PLUS the government would have given me an additional $4,500 on top of that! It's a program they are doing to get older cars off the road and stimulate business at dealerships. If there is anyway you can make a monthly car payment of any sort you should seriously consider this program. Not sure how much longer it's going to be going on for. I can say from experience that once the Pontiac Grand Ams start getting their mystery leaks they can be impossible to fix... I had 3 or 4 mechanics look at mine and none of them could permanently fix it although they tried several things. Basically once they're :sick: they're :sick: for good! I don't even think Pontiac Grand Ams are being made anymore. I have a 2008 Toyota Camry now and am loving it... it's reliable and more gas efficient and has much higher safety ratings than the ol' Pontiac did. Best of luck!